New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Benson's Crypt of the Everflame IC

11 Neth (November) 4713, Fireday (Friday) 11:30 am

The clouds above sat above in overcast, casting a hue of grey over the land creating a quiet atmosphere. In the town of Kassen, in northern Nirmathas, above the southern Fangwood, its people were getting ready for a special ceremony today. Today five of their young will be taking part of the Everflame ritual, a journey that would take them into the crypt of their town's founder.

At the moment Mayor Uptal was preparing his speech to give to the young adventurers at the town square. Other citizens were preparing for the ceremony in their own way, whether it be looking for their best black colored clothing or other things. As for the beginning ceremony itself, it begins in half an hour.

Now, what are our PCs doing at this hour?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Benson's Crypt of the Everflame IC

Dannok

Dannok looks over the mass of people readying for the ceremony. People of all descriptions and some not even people at all. He smiles and quietly observes there motions and alien interactions. He has never understood these ceremonies, they certainly did nothing to calm the mind or strengthen the body.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

@Dannok

The young monk would feel a presence behind him as his mentor appeared behind him with silent foot steps. The beautiful but harsh Ilimara thunked at his back with the side of her hand in three quick strikes to correct his posture to her specifications.

"Young Dannok, greetings," She said quietly standing next to him as she too observed the people down in the town square with an intense stare. "Today is a special day for you. Hopefully you know that your success also reflects upon me and my tutelage."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Decker

On the far end of town, Decker sat in a chamber in the wizard Holgast's Tower. The half-elf found himself obsessively pouring into a volume of arcane knowledge, one of several that he had already taken from off the shelves that stood to the side of the room. Towers of books, recording logs and journals surrounded him, with many a marker sticking out from a passage that the summoner had wanted to review again once more. It had been some many hours that he had sequestered himself inside, though he was barely aware of the time that had passed as he feverishly burned into his memory incantations to conjure a number of fearsome beasties from the very ether. The very thought left him excited, he could feel the hairs on the back of his neck stand on end.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

@Decker

The smell of Holgast's tobacco pipe permeated within the tower even when the old wizard wasn't smoking. Such as now, however he wasn't napping as usual, he had left some ten minutes earlier. The old wizard had mumbled something about business in town, however he was sure to use a clear voice when he barked what chores he wanted Decker to complete.

Luckily for Decker the old wizard was senile and could be easily convinced that he never gave such orders, which was probably why Decker chose to surround himself with all manner of arcane books right now instead.

As Decker read himself into a blissful unawareness, old Holgast's annoying clock which was enchanted to sound off every half hour rather than every hour went off. Its chime sounded more like a gong, looking up would show half an hour past eleven.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tansi

Raymond Greywood's home lies at the edge of his lumber operation. It is connected to Kassen proper by a winding dirt trail, which his young daughter, Tansi, is currently walking along. Tansi had walked along this trail hundreds of times before and knew it took just about an hour to reach the Seven Silvers. As she walks she hums tunelessly. She had been excited for the ceremony for weeks now. Traditions like this made her feel like she was living the history she was always reading about.

Today, Tansi had decided on practical dress over formal. She wears a thick leather jerkin over a white blouse. Her skirt is loose to allow for mobility, and made of a dark brown leather for protection. It reaches just to the middle of her shins. Under her skirt she wears darkly dyed linen breaches and soft light brown boots. Her skin is milky and burns easily so she wears a thick wool cloak, dyed grey, to protect her from the sun as well as the coming chill of winter.

The walls of Kressen are coming into view now. Glancing around Tansi realizes she is half an hour early. She heads towards the Seven Silvers, wondering if she could convince Trelvar to sell her a good dark ale. She had spent most of her pocket change on a new rapier to replace her old practice sword, but she still had enough for a good meal. She also had a small hope her friend Grant Bowen was visiting, but she knew it was unlikely.

7. - Top - End - #7

Dannok

Dannok turns and bows to Ilimara.

I will do my very best Teacher.
    Thank you for letting me partake in this.

He smiles.
    The story has been told a million times, but it is different when it is your life.

8. - Top - End - #8

Decker

With a loud clanging ringing through his elven ears, Decker was abruptly wrestled back to conscious reality, falling back out of his seat and causing several piles of his books to topple over him. Dragging himself out from under the even now more chaotic mess, he quickly shuffled towards Holgast's clock to shut off the alarm and glancing at it now became aware of the time.

"Oh hell's bells, I'm late!"

In the span of about seven minutes, the half-elf rushed about the chamber at a frantic pace, grabbing his pack and stuffing it as much as he could bare to carry with him. After a quick change out of his musty robes and into what was a somewhat-clean suit, he grabbed his pack and hurried down the steps of the tower and out the door, racing towards the edge of town where the ceremony was to take place.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

@Tansi

Tansi enters the Seven Silvers, a comfortable two-story inn and tavern painted in pleasant enough colors, and is greeted by Trelvar's young thirteen year old daughter Asina. She was wiping the tables while one of her father's employees stood at the bar counter. Trelvar himself was absent here. It was mostly empty save those two and Tansi, as most folks were getting ready themselves for the ceremony.

The young girl smiled brightly upon seeing Tansi and walked over to greet her with a formal bow. "Heya Tansi...are you excited for today?" She asked as she then guided the changeling girl to a just cleaned table.
    --

@Dannok

"Do not thank me for this, this was something that was inevitable being the custom of these people." Ilimara sai, her eyes still looking towards the crowd, intensely.. "May you succeed however."
    --

@Decker

More like the town square rather then edge of town, but I'll let it slide ;D. As Decker ran with abandoned he would rush past a guard named Golfond Kir, known for the fact that when he was a young lad, a horse kicked him in the head, 'knocking all sense' out of him.

"Hey...you, young one...no running like that...it can be dangerous you know," He said to him, his tone of one who was slow in the mind, however his tone was not harsh, just cautionary.

10. - Top - End - #10

Dannok

Dannok Nods.

11. - Top - End - #11

Janik

Perhaps it is a life of ruining the organic beauty of nature that causes her to sound so un-birdlike when she whistles, Janik thought to himself as he watched the leather clad Tansi walked along the path. But no, just because she caused all the animals have gone silent or scattered, she did not do it on purpose. And my personal dislike for the way the lumber industry leaves much of the forest barren is not her family’s fault, and certainly not hers personally.

His last bit of leisure time prematurely ended, the young human quietly gathers his things and begins to stealthily shadow the girl through the woods to at least get a little bit of training in before the big ceremony. While a bit more difficult in some of the sparser areas, Janik remains out of view for the entire walk, and watches the girl walk into Kassen. Satisfied with a job well done, Janik skirts around to another entrance and finds Arnama to have a few words before he goes to the ceremony.

Spoiler
    Show
    Janik
    Male Neutral Good Human Ranger, Level 1, Init +4, HP 15/15, Speed 30
    AC 17, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
    Shortbow (20 Normal, 7 Cold, 10 Silver) +5 (1d6, x3)
    Longsword +2 (1d8+1, 19-20 x2)
    Spiked Gauntlet +2 (1d4+1, x2)
    Hide Shirt (+3 Armor, +4 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 19, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition None
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

12. - Top - End - #12

Tansi

"Oh very much so!" Tansi says to Asina, in her soft voice. She sits down at the table and swings her legs that don't even come close to touching the floor. "To be part of such a important tradition... it's quite the honor. Though to be honest my stomach is a little unsettled. Perhaps some of your daddy's dark ale will calm it... some bread would be nice too."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

@Dannok

"Let us head down there then." Ilimara said in her leveled tone.
    ---
    ---

@Janik

Arnama would be found in her usual spot just a little outside the town's wall not too far from her house. She sat on a small patch of grass on a small hill that gave a pleasant view of the river. She was sharpening some of her arrows with a whetstone and humming a soft tune to herself.
    ---
    ---

@Tansi

"I wonder how well ale would help for an unsettled stomach," She said playfully and made a quick signal as went to fetch a mug of ale, the bartender having had caught the young girl's signal and had it ready in two shake's of a lamb's tail.

"Are you okay with bread from yesterday? We haven't chanced to go to the bakers today....The bakery has been busy today preparing all his dough for the feast when you lot return from your quest."

14. - Top - End - #14

Dannok

Dannok smiled at her request and begins to walk into the town square watching the people do so many things he is unfamiliar with. Watching them move in such an ungainly manner. He had to admit he found the movements of females enticing though.

15. - Top - End - #15

Decker

"SorryI'llpromisetobecarefulinthefuture, okay, thankyou!" Decker called out to Golfond as he tried to keep his manic pace going. After several minutes of rushing through the town streets, he soon found himself doubling back when he nearly passed right by the town square where it looked like already people were gathering for the ceremony to begin. Nearly out of breath, the half-elf pressed on into the crowd and towards the stage.

16. - Top - End - #16

Tansi

Tansi shrugs as she talks a gulp of the ale. "Dark ale is good for the heart and stomach... Or so I have read." She wipes a bit of froth from her lip and continues, "And old bread is fine. I just need something to fill my belly."

17. - Top - End - #17

Janik

Hail, Arnama. said the Ranger as he walked up the small hill. I know that we’ve already said our goodbyes, but my leisure time was cut a little short and figured I’d come see you before I head into town. Any new advice for me that has come to mind in the past few hours? he asked with a touch of humor and a dash of hope. If not, I’ll head on in. I know I’m not the first one to arrive and I’ll be damned if I’m going to be the last without good reason.

Spoiler
    Show
    Janik
    Condition None

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Durvim

Durvim sits in Braggar's shop, watching the surly Dwarf work. As usual he straddles the seldom-used second anvil in the shop, whistling idly and taking the occasional swig of ale from the large tankard he holds. As he watches Braggar work, he grows increasingly impatient and continues to rib him.

"C'mon, you old hoot, put the hammer down already! Today's my big day and we've got to get a move on, You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning! Bah!" Durvim makes himself chuckle.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

@Dannok

Ilimara just glanced at Dannok with a raised brow and quietly shook her head. As they moved into the crowd, Dannok would find himself at the receiving end of greetings and a couple of pats on the back. And then gasps sounded.

And then Decker would show up or rather run up and out of breath, maybe even catching the attention of the from what it seems, usually composed monk.

@Decker

The young summoner would be met with gasps and folks trying not to get in Decker's path. On stage, the mayor chuckled and warmly smiled at the...errr...energetic youth. Mayor Uptal was a heavy man and stout and easily mistaken for a tallish dwarf with longish blonde hair and a just as blonde beard.

"Hahah...greetings Decker," He gave the youth a tilt of his head.
    ===========

@Tansi

"Coming right up," Asina said as she disappeared into the back and popped out with some bread. The young girl placed a bowl of the bread on the table and slid it towards Tansi. "I hope I'm as lucky as you and get to get chosen too to do this quest when I'm older." She smiled as she swung her feet that too didn't reach the floor.
    ===========

@Janik

A small microscopic smile formed on the quiet ranger's mouth at his humor attempting delivery. "Just be careful and follow your instincts......" Arnama then paused as she pressed her thumb into the soft ground making a small hole. "I don't really know what else to say, just be careful, I don't want to scare you, but...I feel like there's a...heaviness in the air. The animals have been more quiet than usual...."

The ranger ran her other hand down the feather on her arrow in hand and sighed. "Perhaps it is nothing...Perhaps just fretfulness over my best protege." She wanly smiled.
    ===========

@Durvim

"Aaaargh....! Hold onto yer bottoms...I've nearly got...the edge to...my...standards...." The surly dwarf yelled with a strain as he brought down his hammer on the glowing piece of metal that would eventually become a sword....someday...someweek..who know really with Braggar. Sparks flew as the dwarf sat back with a satisfied grunt as he let the blade cool off in water.

He rubbed his dirty fingers gesturing for Durvin to hand him a swig of his ale.

20. - Top - End - #20

Dannok

Dannok walks through the crowd unsure how to react to the greetings and pats on the back choosing to provide a curt bow.

Dannok glances at the newly arrived Decker, shifts to a relaxed combat stance and then looks behind him expecting to see some bully chasing the half-elf. Is something wrong?

Spoiler
    Show
    perception (1d20+6)[12]

21. - Top - End - #21

Janik

And I thought the animals were quiet due to someone's horrible whistling a while ago. I appreciate the concern and I will be careful. But this is a task that many people have done for dozens of years. Taking mental notes of Arnama's actions, Janik gives her a hug and makes his way towards town.

Don't worry. I'll be seeing my best teacher again soon.

Spoiler
    Show
    The thumb press seems odd, but I don't know if it's some ranger communication that Janik should understand.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rolling Knowledge (Nature), I guess
    (1d20+4)[22]

22. - Top - End - #22

Decker

"H-hello... muh-meh... m-Mayor,"
    Decker replied, gasping for breath as he made it up on stage. The half-elf looked like he was nearly about to pass out and collapse right there in front of the crowd."Sor-sorry 'm late... Stut-suh-studying... have I... missed anything?"

Looking to the human Dannok as he seemed to adopt a fighting stance, Decker weezed out, "N-no... 's fine. 'S fine... jus'... outta breath... oh my legs."
    Last edited by WarrEll; 2013-05-13 at 07:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Tansi

Tansi tears off a piece of bread and chews on it thoughtfully. She swallows and says, "You're far too short." She smiles at her own joke and winks her left eye, the back one.

"You just need so show off some talent. Certainly you've learned some guile hanging around Short-Change. I'm sure in a few years it will be me out there waiting to see you off."
    Last edited by WarBrute; 2013-05-13 at 08:52 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Dannok

Dannok is baffled by Decker's behavior and his running and breathlessness, but senses there is no danger, smiles in amusement and relaxes his stance.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

@Dannok and Decker

Dannok will not see anything of note except that Ilimara seemed to have disappeared into the crowd. The mayor smiled at the two boys and nodded his head at Decker.

"Fret not mister Decker, you're still a little early, plus we are still waiting for three others," He nodded all sagely like with his eyes closed. "Hello mister Dannok."
    =======

@Janik

The thumb press was just a thumb press, though it could have also been interpreted by Janik as her fretfulness over her student.

Janik would make his way back into town without fuss and would come across two of his other companions already there, Decker sorta speaking with the mayor.
    =======

@Tansi

The young girl playfully stuck her tongue out at Tansi for the 'short' comment.

"I got talent...!...I can balance a cup on my nose for...three seconds.." She coughed into her hand and puffed her cheeks. "Anyways, yeah, hopefully you don't leave town before then, promise you'll be there for if I get chosen to be part of the ceremony?" She stuck out a pinkie for means of a pinkie promise.

26. - Top - End - #26

Janik

Strolling from Arnama's residence through the town, Janik makes his way to the stage. Given the height of the sun in the sky, he knows that there are still several minutes before any ceremonies begin, and he does not want to appear too eager. Pausing along the way to accept any well-wishes and to give smug smiles to the members of his family who belittled his vocation of choice, he makes his way to the stage. Pleased that his goal of being neither first nor last was met, Janik is surprised that he is still not met with the group he was expecting. Where did the short girl go? She should have been here several minutes ago, he muses. After shrugging internally, Janik gives a smile and small nod to each of the other youths who will be joining him in the upcoming tasks.

Spoiler
    Show
    Janik
    Condition None

27. - Top - End - #27

Tansi

Tansi stomach slightly twists with guilt at Asina's request. Staying in town was the last thing on her list. In fact she already had been planning to travel to Vigil, hoping to meet with her traveling scholar friend Grant Bowen. She takes a gulp of the dark ale to give herself a few seconds to ponder her response.

She holds out her own finger and says, "I can't promise you that I will not to travel, but I can promise that I will return every Neth until it is your time to participate in the Everflame Ritual. Is that amicable?"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

@Tansi

The young girl pursed her lips in thought until she nodded her head in agreement. "Okay...that will do." She said as she joined Tansi in a pinkie promise.

29. - Top - End - #29

Tansi

Tansi smiles and takes one last draw from the mug before standing, "Well I think it is time for me to go meet the crowd." She tears off one more hunk of bread. "You better be here with more of that, when I return a hero" She says indicting the mug. She waves goodbye as she exits the tavern.

She makes her way through the small crowd towards the stage. She smiles seeing Decker had already arrived. She rarely saw him outside of Holgast's tower, but he was good company whenever she was in there rummaging around for history books.

The other two Tansi does not know as well. She had seen Dannok around town, but he was generally too quiet for Tansi. She squints at Janik. He was that ranger boy, right? She tries to remember if it was he she had seen hanging around her father's property in the past. Maybe, maybe not.

She climbs up on to the stage to join the others and says, "It's good to see you Mayor. I hope I'm not late."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Durvim

The young dwarf gives a hearty laugh and passes the mug to Braggar. "Bah! I'm sick of waitin' fer ye. I don't want to miss my shot at this! Best of luck with yer blade, ye coot." Durvim downs the rest of his ale, refills his mug, and wanders out of the forge to see what's going on.
    Last edited by King Tius; 2013-05-14 at 08:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters

DMing
    Sanity Check: IC OOC
    Age of Worms in Eberron IC OOC

Quote Originally Posted by mshady View Post
    Not sure of the details, I trust in King.
    Quote Originally Posted by RaggedAngel View Post
    "Hello, there. You seem to be in the middle of something overtly magical. Is this a bad time to talk?"
    Drawing OOTS Avatars Guide