New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Waterdeep [Sandbox 3.5] IC

Lil' Edward

"What now Lilella? we keep going killing anyone we meet? Mind telling us what were you thinking was going to happen!? What is exactly your plan!?" Edward is clearly angry about the situation. He spent a lot of years going low profile with the gangs to stay away from their issues. Now he is messing directly with them... it couldn't be good.

"Whatever, don't explain me here. Chances are that other rats heard the fight and are either coming here or going to inform. Someone help me take Jadzik and get out of here.
    *Ugh* I could use some healing myself"

Edward grabs Jadzik arm over his shoulder and wait until someone helps him.
    Last edited by AsDeR; 2012-06-15 at 09:07 AM.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

Sewers
    The way out of the sewers is slow, your heart is pounding in your chest as the three of you (smells funny, Lilella, Edward, & Trent) carefully but quickly carry and drag Jadzik from the room and into the pipes. He is coherent enough to tell you where to go so as you do not get lost. You can tell that it is taking him tremendous mental effort to deal with the pain and help guide you. You can hear sound behind you and you can only assume that more scaven are after you.

You reach the docks and carefully find a path that will allow you to reach the top of the docks without harming the man too much. As you reach the top of the pier you can see that it is misting and will likely rain soon. You find a wooden bench connected to the docks where you can let Jadzik rest while you take a moment to think. It is still early morning and you can see venders trying to sell their wares. The docks have always been known for their cheaper goods and high likelihood that what you think you are buying is not what you will actually get. You see a man dressed in a large cape with thick robes and a white long nosed face mask (see below*) selling some wares from a small case.

*Information (local, history, religion): DC 15
    Spoiler
    Show
    Plague doctors - These are healers not associated with religion, deities, nor nature. They have been both accused of both starting and stopping plagues within cities. They are often both feared and rejected by the authorities of cities - but no direct hostility is taken out on them (for good reason). They are known to be alchemists and often solitary not staying long in one place often selling potions and salves to make money. If a plague breaks out many will come to the city to help (for a price)
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

XP for defeating the scaven: 50 each
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #274

Lil' Edward

Knoweledge check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    K.Local (1d20+6)[23]

"Wait here for a second, I see a Doctor."
    Tired from the effort, Edward reaches the Plage Doctor and stops him.

"Hi, my friend could use a little help over there."
    Sais to the Doctor pointing to the bench were Jadzik lays. "We are friends of the Plague Doctor and are willing to pay."

Edward waits until the Doctor checks Jadzik and if he tries to ask for money before aiding him Edward will distract him with questions, weeps and urgent notices so he must act fast before speaking.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff [1d20+3[/roll] for distracting.

Sadly the Doctor has seen many beggars before and is not amused.

Once the Doctor heals Jadzik, he tries to get some attention himself "Somethin red is pouring out of me..."

After the help, he let's the man speak his price.
    Last edited by AsDeR; 2012-06-15 at 04:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275

Spoiler
    Show
    Derp! Bluff roll again (1d20+3)[5]

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Edward reads the doctor correctly and he is not amused by Edward's constant questions. He stands there silent until Edwards comments and questions become awkward and then he nods and speaks slowly after looking at the wound. He speaks in a raspy dark voice that brings shivers to your soul, "For 10 gold I can heal him here as if nothing transpired. For one gold, I can make sure he heals correctly on his own within a few days. For 5 silver, I will tell your his prognosis. For 1 silver, I will help him die peacefully. What would you have me do?"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Will you take payment in trade? This spear is worth well over the cost of fixing him up.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 10 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 8
    HP 6/6 AC 13 Spot/Listen +6
    Spells
    Level 0: 3/4 Level 1: 4/4
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

The doctor shakes his head at the scaven spear, "I have no use for weapons, especially poorly made weapons. I will heal your friend or two for a favor to be ask of my people at some point in the future. Would this be sufficient?" He holds out a shinny obsidian stone in his pale hand towards Edward. "When the debt is paid we will take this stone back from you."

9. - Top - End - #279
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

***Mind always on her money, she splits the silver quickly between the five of them, tucking Jadzik's coins in his pocket. She couldn't help but a quick grin at Smells Funny's expression as he recieved three silver.

She fidgets nervously as the guilt of the situation washes over her. She watches Jadzik's labored breathing while she debated internally over spending her gold coin. When the healer offered the obsidian stone, she decided a full heal was better than anything less, especially since they probably didn't have much time before the rats started their retaliation. She reached forward and took the stone from the healer's outstretched had. I will take responsibility for the debt. She looked at Edward sadly as she tucked the stone in her coinpurse.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    F - Elf Rogue, Level 2, Init +3, HP 9/9, Speed 30
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +1, Base Attack Bonus +1
    Short Bow (20 Arrows) (1d6, x3)
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    Decorated Cutlass (1d6, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ogre in the Playground

The doctor nods, his long beak in his white mask dips low almost as a bow. The stone feels heavy in her hands, much heavier than she expected. It weights down her coin purse as well. "Very well, you are now in our debt. Do not take it lightly..." His voice trails off as he leans down and picks up several bottles from his case. With a long curving knife he cuts away the crude bandage from Jadzik's leg and examines the wound. He takes a brownish red liquid flask and dumps it on to the wound and then places a yellow towel over the liquid. You expect Jadzik to jump out of his skin as the liquid is dumped on to the wound or for him to cry out as the doctor places his hands on the wounds but Jadzik does not seem to even notice (back to full HP). The doctor removes the cloth and where the long cut used to be looks like nothing happened except for a thin scar. The doctor nods and turns to Edward lifting a small flask of reddish brown liquid to his lips. The liquid is bitter with a sour aftertaste. The doctor nods as you can see Edward shifting his weight and no longer favoring one side ((2d4)[6] HP regained).

Finally, he turns to Lilella and hands her three small flasks of the redish brown liquid. "Your debt bought these as well. You can drink all (2d4) or half (1d4) of each. Careful they are strong but there exists stronger. They will not revive one who the breath of life has left, nor will they cure sickness. They will only restore flesh but not blood or bone. The liquid is yours but the bottles belong to us, please return them when the liquid is gone. We will contact you regarding your debt." He nods one final time and then looks away not waiting for thanks or gratitude.

Spot DC 10
    Spoiler
    Show
    There were two different liquids one he gave to Edward (and Lilella) and the other to Jadzik.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2012-06-16 at 02:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lilella nods at the healer, understanding the gravity of the situation: I probably owe him 20 gold or so for all of this. She frowns.

Alright, guys, what do we want to do now? We need to do something quickly, it won't take them long to mobilize. It would be convenient if Ort would show up about now, he would be handy for what we have to come.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

The small group mills around for a few moments before heading back towards Ort's mother's house with the hope of finding him. You find a quick meal of dried meat and bread on the way that is cheap and filling. You turn the corner to get to Ort's house when you see farther down the street a group of 10 guards dragging Timmaeus away in chains. He looks at you and shakes his head as if telling you to let him be. You know that many had considered him dangerous with his extremist viewpoints and actions. You can tell he was not taken from Ort's house because it is exactly as you left it. A small note from Jeffery is laid out on the dresser. It reads,

Dearest friends,
    I have left to go stop Timmaeus from causing destruction while you are away. The house has been safe as I have kept guard from the rat gang. I do not fear that it will be attacked before you get home. Timmaeus has been fixated upon some thought that does not seem to exit his head. I spent quite some time in reflection and prayer. The only answer is that I must stop him from whatever sinister plot he has formulated. Do not wait for me to return, maybe it is best if our paths separate here for now.

May your hands be quick and your pockets filled,
    Jeffery

13. - Top - End - #283

Well, all round this has been a s*** day. We've lost a little friend. We got nowhere with the Warf Rats. We've had our a** handed to us by some stupid rats. I almost bleed out. We're indebted to a witch doctor. Two companions are likely gone forever; a third has left for help and may never return either.

Should we set out for Ort? Even if the guards don't return here, it’s likely not safe for us. Those rats will want retaliation and they already know of this place.

I don't want to sound like a coward, but maybe we should leave the city. Not permanently... Just until we can acquire enough capital to get properly armed and ready. We can't fight a war with only our tattered clothes and a few crude blades.

I'll follow whatever course Ort takes. I just hope we can work together to help steer him to the right one.
    Spoiler: Smells Funny (the awesomest goblin ever)
    Show

Smells Funny Level HP AC TAC FAC Spt/Lstn
    Effects
    3rd
    16/16 : NL=0
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft
    Just 1 PC at GitP. I mostly play over at RPOL .

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Ort returns after several hours of being away, he looks downtrodden and following him is a young man stooped over watching his steps as he walks. Ort shakes his head as he enters the home of his mother and falls into one of the old chairs. He takes a moment to think before he speaks, "I went to speak to Sir Greenheart, he was less than helpful. It seems the city is aware of the thieves but reluctant to help since the thieves only seem to be fighting amongst themselves. He might be willing to help us later once one guild controls the docks, but until then we are on our own..."

Something seems to be bothering the half-orc. There is a few moments of silence and cursing from your fellow traveling mates about how stupid the city is for not siding with you to remove the sewer rats. Ort holds up his hand ready to continue speaking once again. "I went to the monastery today to pray. It has been a long time since I went to the city temple. I found my anger consuming my every thoughts unable to clear it. My training has failed me. Before I can hope to one day get revenge, I must do it with a clear head. For as the teacher says, 'Anger is our greatest weakness.' I spent some time with a high ranking monk, he suggested I calm my thoughts before I set out for revenge - to ensure I do it with the right intentions, with honor. I need to meditate on his words, he said 'revenge can take many forms.' I will be spending some time at the monastery in prayer and meditation. I am sorry if this is an inconvenience for you on your mission. If it is revenge on the rats you seek, do it not for me, but for yourself and your consciousness."

Ort then looks to the stranger who has entered with him. "This is Sagan, I met him at the monastery. He did not fit in with the monks and is a bit of a lost soul. I thought you might be able to look after him, it seems we are a bit of a rag-tag bunch and he might just fit in well. Plus, I don't want any competition for leader when I get back." Ort lets out a hearty laugh breaking the somber mood.

"I should go to my devotions, the sun will be setting soon and I don't want to miss the stale gruel." Ort gives quick hugs to his friends and puts any thing given to him by the party on the table. He refuses any coins from Lilella and walks out into the sunset.

Part of you hopes to see him again soon.

15. - Top - End - #285

Well that could have gone better. Well, Sagan... I'm Jadzik. That's Lilella, Trent, and Smells Funny. That beast of man is Ed. Things must have been bad off for you there if you ended up here. We're not in the best of situations. More than a bit broke and we've successfully pissed off the sewer rats. We were actually just discussing our options when you came in.

Well.. I’m the foreigner here. Where to? Because we sure can’t stay here. They already know about. I’m a bit surprised they haven’t come already. There probably waiting for the sun to drop.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

16. - Top - End - #286

PirateGuy

We're probably safe for a couple of days, since we didn't leave any of them alive that saw us. However, we're only clear until they track us here, or until that healer sells us out. I only wish we'd met you earlier, Sagan, so we could have avoided this mess.

Oh well. What's done is done. If we aren't getting help from the authority here, we should skip town for a few weeks until one of the gangs is victorious, and we can enlist help from the guard. As to where we should go, I have no idea, other than trying to hire onto a ship to make some money.
    Last edited by Quakes; 2012-06-22 at 01:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

17. - Top - End - #287

Privateering could prove intresting.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

18. - Top - End - #288

Lil' Edward

Edward says goodbye to Ort "I hope you find what you need, we will save the city in the meantime." jokes Edward trying to not get too emotive.

Once Ort is out, Edward welcomes Sagan "If Ort have take you here you must be someone useful. We seem to be in the middle of trouble most of the time."

19. - Top - End - #289
    Pixie in the Playground

Sagan remains curiously silent for a few moments as he deliberates on the existence of these strange people. So this is where I am to be at this time, the path twists more towards my liking, far more potential with beings such as these. Oh they're speaking to me, I'll respond in the human tongue I suppose. His eyes shift between each of the people before him and he seems to take a long moment before replying to their greetings.

Favorable tidings to you all, I have come because that is what I do at this time, try not to be too troubled by the seemingly ill events you are embroiled in, all things occur as they must. In truth I felt compelled to follow Ort to escape the stasis of the monastery, much harder to see the movements of the path out here, much more potential.

He gesticulates excitedly as his speaks, as if to have his hands make up for the lack of expression on his face.

Jump to a ship to escape sunken rats? Seems like a straightforward plan. My usefulness to you will become clear in time I think, as the middle of trouble is where minds and fates are most malleable, and those are my specialty.

He takes a slight bow as he finishes speaking, his eyes smiling warmly on his new friends.
    Eckhart Sagan Stat block
    Spoiler
    Show

Eckhart Sagan
    Male N/A Human Cleric, Level 1, Init +1, HP 7/7, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
    (+1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition None

20. - Top - End - #290

PirateGuy

lilella raises a good point, we do have responsibilty for our gobline friend. Before we decide to start privateering, we should at least see him safely home. And we should leave immediately, before the rats have time to start sniffing us out.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lilella gapes at Sagan, the spinning gears in her mind are almost visible as she attempts to follow his convoluted speach. When his bow indicated the end of his speach, she scratched her head and attempted a puzzled smile back at him, cocking her head. She eyed the scarf wrapped around his head curiously. Is that what the story tellers talk about when they speak of the desert people? A....a turban? I think this guy must have put it on too late, he definitely seems sun-touched.

Uh, nice to meet you Sagan. She blinks at him once or twice, still puzzled, then, realizing she is staring, turns to the rest of the group. Leaving town for a bit sounds like a good idea, though I'm not so sure about being on a boat... but I would deal if I have to. One thing I do know, we would not be able to handle it if the whole sewer came crawling in here tonight. There's simply not enough of us. What do you think, Smells Funny? Where should we go?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Smells funny shrugs at the suggestions, "Me would like to return home but me need more than a few silver to show for me work. Maybe going on a boat would be good for me. Me already green."

23. - Top - End - #293

PirateGuy

I guess it's decided then. Who's ready to be a pirate!

The group spends the rest of the evening getting to know their new member, and telling him their stories. In the morning, Trent goes searching in the seedier taverns near the docks. inviting any of the party to join him that wishes to. He looks around for one of the known privateers who he had heard of from Captain Toome in his youth, or any other scoundrel that may be able to lead them to a ship that they can join up for adventure and booty. If he fails, they can always try to start a gang anyway...

Spoiler
    Show

Spot (looking for known contacts)
    (1d20+6)[10]
    Gather Info (if I don't see anyone I know of have heard of)
    (1d20-1)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

24. - Top - End - #294

Everyone... I've come to a hard decision. I won't be joining you on your future endeavors. I was raised in a monastery, and if my time away has taught me anything, it's that I belong there. There is some kind of evil that keeps my blood at a boil. I fear that if I don't return and learn to control this demon that it will eventually consume me. It's already landed me in prison and almost had me killed.

I'm going to follow Ort to the monastery and resume my studies. Lilella, the debt to the healer is mine to fill.
    He extends his hand out to take the stone. If I could take the stone I'll then be on my way. I wish you all the best of luck.

Smells gives a small smile as he stays near Lilelle, quietly "Good, me not like him anyway."
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-06-24 at 11:40 AM.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

25. - Top - End - #295
    Pixie in the Playground

Sagan's eyes light up with joy at the suggestion of privateering.

A boat! That sounds fantastic, I've never been on one before! I hope I get motion sickness, should be fascinating!

He seems slightly downhearted as Jadzik announces his intentions to leave.

It saddens me to see you go, I would have relished to see the twists of your path, perhaps ours will cross again, best of luck with your demon, remember if it does consume you, you'll simply have an advantageous position to strike from within.

There is an earnest sincerity in his advice that would indicate he's either quite serious or has a wholly alien grasp of humor.
    Eckhart Sagan Stat block
    Spoiler
    Show

Eckhart Sagan
    Male N/A Human Cleric, Level 1, Init +1, HP 7/7, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
    (+1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition None

26. - Top - End - #296
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lilella considers Jadzik. It was her fault that he was injured, but then again, if he wasn't allowed the responsibility to repay the ones who helped him, the injury would probably cause more than just the phisical damage and the wounded ego. She passes him the stone. That healer's still probably going to come after me anyway...

Lilella pats the little goblin on the head affectionately. She considers an idea for a moment, then leans over to whisper in his ear in goblin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You may speak to me in goblin if you wish the others not to know what you say.

Lilella stands up and speaks in a calm, conversational tone in goblin, gaging the other's reaction:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to kill everyone in their sleep tonight by stabbing them through the eye with a hairpin. When no one else reacted, she continued: See, no one else can understand it. You and I have something very important in common: we both love a pocket laden with coins. The others here don't seem to get it, not even the famed one over there. She glances at Edward, not wishing to give away that she was talking about him. She then focuses on the small bone dagger at Smells Funny's waistAnyway, if your going to be coming along with us on the boat, I want to make sure you are able to defend yourself. I have been taught in the last few days how valuable and fragile my friend's lives are.

Lilella removes the dagger that was hidden in her clothes and passes it to Smells Funny. She smiles warmly at him.

In the morning, Lilella joins Trent in their search for work.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolls:
    (1d20)[6] Gather information
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

27. - Top - End - #297

Smells yelps out in excitment.
    In Goblin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You speak goblin! You mean I've been stumbling around like an idoit trying to speak human and you could have understood me this whole damn time? Lilella, you've kept me safe, you've kept me feed, you speak my tongue, and you share your wealth... I like this. His native goblin tongue demonstrates an uncommon intellegence that his poor grammer in common had inadvertantly masked.
    Smells knows the value of steel and happily takes the dagger with a smile. Me know a boat. When me worked the docks, met a Captain Whitebeard. Me remember name because he had no beard. He an elfy looking human. His ship is the Twilight Skimmer... peir 7 where he tie up just a few days ago.
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-06-26 at 12:15 PM.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

28. - Top - End - #298

PirateGuy

Well that's easier than searching for someone who may not be there. Let's go and offer our services.

Trent heads down to Pier 7 in search of the Twilight Skimmer and her captain, making a quick stop on the way to purchase some clothing that isn't in such shabby condition. He looks over the ship to assess its condition before approaching. Once he has an idea of the state of the ship and her crew, he approaches and hails an officer on board.

Ahoy! We seek a meeting with your captain. I believe he may have need of our talents.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

In most of the bars around the waterfront district, the patrons tell you of the Twilight Skimmer and her Captain Whitebeard. Capt Whitebeard has been known as a Privateer for Waterdeep. However, it is also known that he has attacked other merchant ships without the Lord's blessing for their cargo and selling in a few ports down for a hefty sum. At other times, he is rumored to be a swift merchant trader, running goods to port at high speeds and he is known to break water siege to get supplies into small ocean side city states. He is known for danger, drunkenness, and debauchery; however, the men who sail with him seem to respect him without a mutiny.

As you approach the Twilight Skimmer, you can see that it is riding high in the water as men bring boxes stacked on the dock up the gang plank onto the ship. Normally, you have heard that most men complain about this duty but these men seem neither tired nor annoyed with this task. They joke to each other sometimes stacking several boxes onto each other as they load them into the hull. The boxes are stamped with a merchant house you have never heard of*.

The first mate responds to Trents request, "Aye, we be taking on a crew, the pay is five copper per day for green land lovers like yourselves to help us run these supplies to port. The trip may take a month so you will make a small sum if you don't waste it in port."

*Knowledge Local DC 25
    Spoiler
    Show
    This merchant house does not exist.

30. - Top - End - #300

PirateGuy

5 copper per day might be enough for the others, he indicates the rest of the party behind him, But I myself have years of training aboard vessels such as the Skimmer. Raise my wages to 5 silvers per day, and I'll even take their training into mine own hands, so you don't have to have them running about underfoot and getting in the way of experienced sailors such as ourselves. I'll be happy to give you a demonstration to prove my words be true.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5