New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Waterdeep [Sandbox 3.5] IC

The first mate and Trent talk shop for a few moments and he demonstrates his skills and knowledge, the ships he has been on, and his prior training. The first mate seems more interested. "If you can save me on training that is worth something. However, these are hard times. The load we are running is a slim margin. I can pay you three silver a day - that is one more than most of my crew is making but only because you are training and pulling the weight of your four friends. If they survive this trip and want another job then we can renegotiate. " He smiles and gives Trent a little wink, "Honestly through, there are always opportunities to make extra money aboard a ship and this might be the trip. How does that sit with you?"
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Trent offers his hand to seal the bargain. I believe we have an accord.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

STR 10 DEX 17 CON 10 INT 13 WIS 14 CHA 8
    HP 6/6 AC 13 Spot/Listen +6
    Spells
    Level 0: 3/4 Level 1: 4/4
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

"The ship sails at at dusk, have your men prepared and ready." he goes back to checking the cargo and overseeing the prepping of the ship.

It strikes Trent as weird the ship is leaving late but further confirms his thoughts this might not be a cargo mission.
    I am posting from my IPhone 90% of the time. Please forgive any spellcheck errors.
    Notice: All events written about or discussed on this site are fictional and fantasy/science fiction based.They are for entertainment purposes only within a fantasy/science fiction game and any relationship to the real world (events, individuals, situations, etc) are unintended and coincidental.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Barbarian in the Playground

Smells looks to Trent, What me need do?
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-06-25 at 09:31 PM.
    Spoiler: Smells Funny (the awesomest goblin ever)
    Show

Smells Funny Level HP AC TAC FAC Spt/Lstn
    Effects
    3rd
    16/16 : NL=0
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft
    Just 1 PC at GitP. I mostly play over at RPOL .

5. - Top - End - #305

PirateGuy

Trent leads the others on a tour of the ship, going quickly over what their duties would be, showing them basic knots and the like.
    Most of the first week will be getting your sea legs, and losing your meals over the side. It will pass. Because of this, you'll spend your time swabbing the decks, helping the cook, other minor chores. All of you are small, so you won't be doing lots of heavy labor, but you'll be expected to do lots of climbing. Your eyes and hands are your best assets. You may also be called on to take lookout duty. I'll have to teach you that too. Its more than just looking at the water. There are tri cks to learn.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lilella eyes the open sea nervously. I wonder how many monsters hide under the deeps? Lilella much prefered having her feet on the ground, with a quick escape route available. Five copper a day isn't much, but I can deal with it. She remains unusually silent, staying close to the group, but at the same time trying to stay away from the edge of the ship. She wasn't afraid of falling, she was more afraid of being dragged overboard by one of the tentacly creatures the old lady had told her about growing up. She also observes the other crew members curiously, as well as the crates they loaded onto the dock. She wasn't so interested in the stamp on the box as what might be inside of them. She watches the crew members increasing busy-ness as they prepare to leave. I bet their pockets are loaded down with gold, but it would be dangerous to try anything isolated at sea... She looks to Trent, waiting for orders about what to do as the ship prepares to leave.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    F - Elf Rogue, Level 2, Init +3, HP 9/9, Speed 30
    AC 13, Touch 13, Flat-footed 10, Fort +0, Ref +6, Will +1, Base Attack Bonus +1
    Short Bow (20 Arrows) (1d6, x3)
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    Decorated Cutlass (1d6, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

7. - Top - End - #307

PirateGuy

follow me, Lilella. Trent walks to the mast, grabs the rigging and starts climbing, expecting her to follow. I'll start you off up here. It will keep you out of the way of the rest of the crew, who might not like a woman on their ship, or like it too much. No one will bother you here. When on lookout, make sure you're looking all around, not just the direction we're going. Watch for eddies and shadows in the water. Monsters are uncommon, but sharks and whales are a real possibility. If anyone goes overboard,it's your job to let the crew know so they can throw out a line for them. When we're near shore, watch out for discolorations that could mean reefs, sandbars, or other snags. You'll get the hang of it.

He starts Edward and Smells off mending sails and learning sailors knots. Sagan looks strong, so Trent starts him off helping with loading crates, with stern warnings not to open them up, as the carho needs to arrive at the buyer unbroken and untampered with. If someone will be disciplined, it won't be one of Trent's friends.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

8. - Top - End - #308
    Pixie in the Playground

Sagan is overjoyed at the sight of the ocean and eagerly listens to any explanations about the ship.

Amazing! It looks like it goes on forever! Will the boat move like this the whole time? I really hope so! Not feeling sick yet though, perhaps later.

He babbles excitedly and stares into the ocean until given a direction, his ecstatic mood never wavering.
    Eckhart Sagan Stat block
    Spoiler
    Show

Eckhart Sagan
    Male N/A Human Cleric, Level 1, Init +1, HP 7/7, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
    (+1 Dex)
    Abilities Str 10, Dex 13, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 14, Cha 8
    Condition None

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

[SPOILER]
    (1d20-1)[5] Climb [SPOILER]

LIlella struggles to climb the riggings, but fails.
    Last edited by AngelEyes23; 2012-06-27 at 11:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

10. - Top - End - #310

Dis is women's work. Me gonna see if there something better. As Smells gets up to go find Lilella, she falls down right in front of him.

In Goblin
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe you should hem the sails and I should take the lookout.

Smells then grabs the riggings and easily climbs to the top.

OOC: Taking 10 for a 15 vs DC10 for climbing riggings.[/SPOILER]
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

At dusk the ship starts to sail, you find your menial tasks and start to do your work. You can feel she ship swaying beneath your feet as you pull into the harbor (fort save DC 10 to avoid seasickness).

The ship is nimble in the water and fast, the skipper catches the right wind and the ship glides south towards open water. However, right after passing the last island the ship comes to a dead stop. Four bells ring and all the crew come to the deck, capt whiteboard appears for the first time and addresses the crew. "This ship is headed for danger and questionable morals. If you are weak at hear then you can swim for that island and make your way back without worry for your life. But beyond this point it will be treason and subject to death. We have been given assignment by one of the lords of Waterdeep to act as privateers and attack a certian merchant houses ships to the south of here. We will strike fast and try to secure their cargo but our mission is to destroy the ship. The cargo is ours if we can retrieve it. But it will be risky. If you are to up for the mission then the water is there."

The capt waits, only two men jump into the water swimming towards the small island.

12. - Top - End - #312

Smells just shrugs his shoulders. Stupid humans and their "morals". Sacking the poor goblin clan is OK, but raiding a rich merchant isn't? Well more coin for me.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

13. - Top - End - #313
    Pixie in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+3)[8] Fortitude

A few minutes out to sea Sagan darts up from his swabbing and bolts to the side of the ship, frantically pulling off his scarf as he becomes ferociously ill over the side of the ship.

That was amazing! I would have never guessed such a reaction to simple motion could occur, maybe my body thinks I've swallowed some manner of poisonous hallucinogen? Or is this a symptom of some unknowable terror of the depths?

He ponders aloud the potential deeper meanings of sea-sickness until barked at to get back to swabbing.

As the captain makes his speech, Sagan silently observes the reactions of the crew and considers what has been said.
    Morality is too touchy a subject to get into here, but destruction, that's simple enough for me, this should prove a worthwhile endeavor.
    Last edited by Fairyboy; 2012-06-27 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Reaction to roll
    Eckhart Sagan Stat block
    Spoiler
    Show

Eckhart Sagan
    (+1 Dex)
    Condition None

14. - Top - End - #314

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+1)[8]

From the crows nest, Smells looses control of his digestion system and his last meal is let loose in the basket. Well that's going to piss off whoever finds it.
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-06-27 at 10:14 AM.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20)[5] Fortitude

Lilella returns from the edge of the ship, looking quite green...Why? Why did we have to get on a freakin boat?!? Caught up in her misery, still focused on repairing the spare sail amidst the rocking of the boat, she ignores the captain's speach.
    Last edited by AngelEyes23; 2012-06-27 at 11:40 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

16. - Top - End - #316

PirateGuy

Trent tries not to grin at his companions' weak stomachs. He quite well remembers his own distress at his first time on a ship. Thankfully though, that day was many years ago.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ogre in the Playground

The ship continues to sail now with a new mission and course. The party is kept on duty at night while they learn the ropes (literally) and get used to sailing. It takes time but soon you are no longer sick from the waves.

[ooc: I will post more later, busy last few days]

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Several days quickly pass and you no longer feel the pull on your stomach every time the ship bobs in the waves. Life on the ship settles into a normal schedule. As new and green crew members, you are expected to work the nights. Lilella and Edward are often on look out high in the crows nest. Sagan and Smells Funny find them selves doing odd jobs such as tending the rigging, mopping the deck, and other laborious jobs. Trent is often overseeing the process and giving his four friends tips on how to do the job right.

The officer in charge at night is an Lizardfolk man named Sal. He rarely speaks often using hand gestures to communicate. Tonight he is at the helm with much of the night crew below deck preparing the ship for the upcoming attack on the merchant ship. This leaves just the five of you and Sal on deck with most of the other crew sleeping or prepping the ship below decks.

The night is clear and an almost full moon is lighting up the calm water. Lilella notices that their ship, the Twilight Skimmer, is heading towards some wooden debris in the water. The debris looks small and harmless enough and by this point, there is little the ship can do but sail through it. She informs Trent and Sal.

Sal nods and points two fingers towards his eyes and then makes a circle gesture with those same two fingers in a circle around the ship. You start to hear the soft sounds of the debris hitting the sides of the ship. Hollow thuds can be heard and those on deck (Edward, Trent, Smells Funny, and Sagan) can see boards and other wooden parts hitting the ship as they look over the sides.

Your mind first starts to race to how this ship must have met its end. Was it a large sea creature or maybe it hit a reef. Maybe it was caught in a storm or attacked by another ship. The hollow thuds continue, you hope that the thuds and scratches on the ship do not do much damage. Your mind continues to wonder until you hear Lilella start to shriek in horror pointing towards the starboard side of the ship. You see a hideous creature pulling itself over the railing of the ship. It looks like a bloated corpse with lifeless eyes. Sal lets out a loud grunt and points to the port side where another creature has appeared.

The party has the initiative.
    AC: 14/12/12
    HP: 15/15 15/15

19. - Top - End - #319

PirateGuy

Trent grabs one of the spare ropes lying about the deck and quickly casts a spell on in before flinging it at the starboard creature. He commands the rope to loop and knot itself around the creature, hoping to entangle it.

Spoiler
    Show

Must hit touch AC (1d20+3)[21]
    Creature can make reflex save dc 12 to avoid entanglement

Entangled- move half speed, no run or charge, -2 to atk, -4 to dex
    DC 23 str to break rope

Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Reflex save (1d20)[17] +2 = 19

The creature steps to the side of the rope as it curls around the deck unable to ensnare the creature.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2012-06-30 at 11:54 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lilella darts across the deck, pulling out her dagger, to the side of the creature on starboard. I knew this was going to happen, but did anyone else think this far ahead? Noooo.... Now we're all going to a murky grave like that ship before us.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

22. - Top - End - #322
    Pixie in the Playground

Upon seeing the loathsome boarders attack, Sagan quickly channels the power of his faith to attempt to drive them back.

Foul mockeries of entropy! Return to the state in which you belong!

He gestures erratically as he attempts to turn the attackers.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[7] Turning Check (2d6)[8] Turning Damage
    Eckhart Sagan Stat block
    Spoiler
    Show

Eckhart Sagan
    (+1 Dex)
    Condition None

23. - Top - End - #323

Trying to use the commotion as a distraction, Smells quickly pulls his daggers and scurries over to a place behind some barrels to hide and watch the action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide (1d20+11)[19]
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Sagan gestures erratically as he attempts to turn the attackers but his faith is not strong enough and he is unable affect the undead creatures.
    Last edited by crimson77; 2012-06-30 at 11:52 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

The creatures lumber towards Sagan and Edward. The creature attempts to claw at Sagan but it only seems to grab air with its sharp but still human like nails. However, the creature claw sink into Edward's flesh, you can hear him howl in pain [6 dmg; Fort Save DC 12].

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+2)[9] (1d6+1)[7]
    (1d20+2)[13] (1d6+1)[6]
    Last edited by crimson77; 2012-07-02 at 12:15 PM.

26. - Top - End - #326

PirateGuy

Seeing that his rope trick failed, Trent unlimbers his bow and quickly fires at the beast that sank its claw into Edward.

Spoiler
    Show

attack: (1d20+3)[13]
    damage: (1d6)[2]

sorry, forgot to add in point blank shot
    attack roll is 14, damage is 3

Last edited by Quakes; 2012-07-02 at 12:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Elias

Trent:
    Spoiler
    Show

Spells
    Fort +0 Ref +3 Will +5

27. - Top - End - #327

As he sees his companion take the brutal hit, Smells almost vomits from nausea as his gut turns from the unfamiliar sensation of loyalty. He rushes in from his cover to attack the creature.

As his little knife slashes into the abomination Smells yells and screams at the creature.

Goblin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leave him alone! You can't have him! He's my friend!!! (Friend is in Common since Goblin lacks a proper word)

Spoiler
    Show

Moves into a flanking position on the injured one
    atk (1d20+4)[18] (atk=1str+1size+2flanking)
    (1d3+1)[2] + (1d6)[2] (I miss Pathfinder right now)
    Last edited by ninthbit; 2012-07-02 at 01:04 PM.
    Show

Effects
    3rd
    +0 /+0
    Darkvision 60ft

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Lilella, following closely behind one of the monsters, raises her dagger and attempts a slice down on his shoulder.

Spoiler
    Show
    rolls
    (1d20+1)[5] Attack(-1 Strength +2 Flank)
    (1d4-1)[0] Damage

Her attack angle is wrong, and her dagger bounces off.
    Last edited by AngelEyes23; 2012-07-03 at 01:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lilella
    Dagger (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    (+3 Dex)
    Condition None
    listen+8, spot+6

29. - Top - End - #329
    Pixie in the Playground

Curious and offended, Sagan steps back and attempts to channel the power of his god to drive the monster back once more.

I said get thee hence! You're setting a terrible precedent. The dead attacking the living? Preposterous!

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20-1)[14] turning check (2d6)[3] turning damage
    Eckhart Sagan Stat block
    Spoiler
    Show

Eckhart Sagan
    (+1 Dex)
    Condition None

30. - Top - End - #330

Lil' Edward

Edward takes the terrible hit in surprise "God...!" he sais as he sees the creature's claw full of blood coming out of him.

Edward grabs his blades and thinks about retreating when he sees the goblin aiding him. Great, now I would look like a coward if I escape. "DAMMIT!!!!!" Shouts Edward while swinging his sword.

Despite his efforts, Edward is too dazled by the attack to efectively harm his oponent, barely standing on his feet.

Spoiler
    Show

Fort save (1d20+1)[16] vs 12.
    Short Sword Defensive Attack (+2 to AC) (1d20-3)[-2]
    Damage (1d6+1)[2]
    Dagger Defensive Attack (+2 to AC) (1d20-3)[3]
    Damage (1d4+1)[5]

Is there any torch arround i can grab? Or reach weapon ?
    Last edited by AsDeR; 2012-07-03 at 04:08 PM.