New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    So a question, Fast Travel vs No Fast Travel. How often do you get dragons? It seems that when I fast travel a lot, I end up fighting more dragons than when I just walk around.
    I think I've killed four (not counting the first)? I'm level 30, I just found the note in Jurgen's Tomb.

The first one, the one that flies around the eastmarch, a random one in the eastmarch, a random one at the college, and I think one more that I can't remember fully. I feel like I don't see enough, if that helps.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

2. - Top - End - #992
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Do a quest for them, talk to Maramal in Riften, wear an Amulet of Mara, talk to them and the option should be available.
    Huh. I'll never use it, but good to know nonetheless.
    Another question (I seem to be full of them today): is there any console command or anything of the sort that marks a bed as one you own? I ask because despite my Breton Mage being the Archmage of the College of Winterhold, the bed in the Archmage's Quarters is not treated as one I own.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Huh. I'll never use it, but good to know nonetheless.
    Another question (I seem to be full of them today): is there any console command or anything of the sort that marks a bed as one you own? I ask because despite my Breton Mage being the Archmage of the College of Winterhold, the bed in the Archmage's Quarters is not treated as one I own.
    Marriage
    It's a little more complicated than that. Those are the steps, but the actual options are fairly limited.

The advantages of marriage:
    1) Character moves into one of your houses or opens their house to you.
    2) Character opens a small store and gives you a share of the proceeds. (~100 gold per day)
    3) Character can give you food once per day.
    4) Sleeping in the master bedroom of the house you share with your spouse gives you Lover's Comfort, an advanced version of the Rested buff that boosts all your skill XP by 15%, like the Lovers' Stone, rather than the 10% for Well Rested.
    5) (Uncertain) Character gains "protected" status, making them much harder for anyone other than you to kill.
    6) A few dialogue changes for greetings and partings, can result in some rather schizophrenic speech patterns with less pleasant spouses.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Janus View Post
    Hooray, comics!
    That's great stuff!

It's sad for me that all the televisions in my house have those curved corners. Literally all of the time I've put in Skyrim I've never seen the first half of the white text that appears in the top left that tells you what you pick up or get as a quest reward. I keep serious tabs on my inventory.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Titan in the Playground

1.7 seems to have gone through and fixed a lot of the crashes and performance hangers I was having. I haven't had a single crash since the jump to the 1.7 patch.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ogre in the Playground

So, anyone bought the pc version of Dawnguard?

7. - Top - End - #997
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    Not yet, but soon. Oh, yes. Soon. (After work. Dang it, why'd you have to alert me to this so early in the day? Fridays are long enough as it is!)
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-08-03 at 10:39 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

8. - Top - End - #998

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    That's great stuff!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    I have, and I'm enjoying it so far.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Not yet, but soon. Oh, yes. Soon. (After work. Dang it, why'd you have to alert me to this so early in the day? Fridays are long enough as it is!)
    Well where I live it's not even available yet (I'm one of those few "blessed" by regional blockades) so I'd prefer to be in your situation ;P

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Titan in the Playground

Oh for the love of...
    It seems I can't buy Dawnguard. Skyrim is unavailable on Steam in Poland, meaning I can't download the expansion either. And there doesn't seem to be a physical version, at least not in the multimedia store I bought Skyrim in.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ogre in the Playground

You could import it from Amazon or something
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Titan in the Playground

Even if I were willing to pay for overseas shipping, there's no Dawnguard on Amazon. I guess I need to hope a physical version of the expansion will be released later, because if it's Steam-only, I'm out of luck.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

And there doesn't seem to be a physical version, at least not in the multimedia store I bought Skyrim in.
    Not yet - the only thing we heard is that Cenega is still talking with Beth about a box release. Some sites mention DG will become available on Steam - but I'll believe it when I see it.

Though DG is available on keye.pl (but I don't know if it works with the polish version of the game - IIRC there were some issues with Fallout dlcs...)

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Titan in the Playground

I'm playing the English version, actually, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for letting me know.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, PC version of dawnguard? Is it through steam?

Also excellent comics. I lol'd. You should get a site for them or something.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Wait, PC version of dawnguard? Is it through steam?
    Yes.

I'm playing the English version, actually, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for letting me know.
    No problem - if you try it and it works, do mention it here (I'd prefer someone else try it before me ;) )

17. - Top - End - #1007

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Also excellent comics. I lol'd. You should get a site for them or something.
    Thanks!
    I kind of do have a site for them, just not my own- http://janus3003.deviantart.com/

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Barbarian in the Playground

So I played a few hours Dawnguard. Now I really want to have a armoured troll following me round, however each time I try to hire one it tells me I have to many animals. But I don't even have a follower. Any ideas?
    Two rules get you through life:
    1. If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it.
    2. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it

19. - Top - End - #1009

Have you told a follower to wait somewhere instead of actually dismissing them?

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Titan in the Playground

Blast. It looks like you can't switch a bed's status to one you own. You can make things owner-less through the console, but you can't assign ownership to yourself. Oh well.

Also, I find it a bit disheartening that of all the race mods, there doesn't seem to be any decent one with goblins. Well, there are two, but one is a beta and the other one contains resized orcs.

21. - Top - End - #1011

Quote Originally Posted by Bouregard View Post
    So I played a few hours Dawnguard. Now I really want to have a armoured troll following me round, however each time I try to hire one it tells me I have to many animals. But I don't even have a follower. Any ideas?
    Just did a bit of reading, and it looks like there's a glitch that won't let you take on another animal if a dog follower dies (or something similar). Has that happened to you recently?

22. - Top - End - #1012

Just did a bit of reading, and it looks like there's a glitch that won't let you take on another animal if a dog follower dies (or something similar). Has that happened to you recently?
    Never took a stray dog in. Mhm any way to check this via console?
    Last edited by Bouregard; 2012-08-05 at 10:21 AM.
    Two rules get you through life:
    1. If it's stuck and it's not supposed to be, WD-40 it.
    2. If it's not stuck and it's supposed to be, duct tape it

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Colossus in the Playground

So, Dawnguard for PC. Is it worth it? Does it add any replayability?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

24. - Top - End - #1014

Quote Originally Posted by Bouregard View Post
    Never took a stray dog in. Mhm any way to check this via console?
    I don't know, sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    I like it! Some really cool new areas to explore, and I appreciated that Serana asks questions about you, giving you a shot to roleplay a bit more. Doesn't happen very often, but I appreciated it.
    I played the Dawnguard side, and I liked the ending battle much more than the one in the Main Quest.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Spamalot in the Playground

Hooray, comics!
    These are entertaining. I particularly like the one about the guards and their limited dialog. Some days I feel like letting my fist do the responding.

I had a hilarious scare in the game last night. I just purchased Honeyside in Riften and I was checking it out. The housecarl was standing around in the kitchen while I went downstairs to look at the basement. I heard a crash and saw a container of ingredients by the Alchemy lab had fallen. So I started picking up the ingredients.
    Then the container started moving on its own across the floor. It wasn't a container I could pick up, though it could be pushed. However, I wasn't near it, I was backing up by the stairs. Then I hear "I am your sword and your shield" and suddenly my housecarl pops into existance by the Alchemy table.

Freaky Poltergeist moment. Sometimes the little glitches are amusing like this.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    So far I'm like a third of the way into the Dawnguard side of the story, and it's pretty interesting.

For a Bethesda follower, Serana's pretty interesting. Girl spams her raise dead spell - as soon as she doesn't have a zombie under command and sees a corpse, it's instantly up and fighting for her, so you're almost always in a party of at least three (you, her, and her zombie of the moment). Of course, there's the downside that she always has a zombie - which means that you hear them moaning constantly, you may have to wait until the spell ends to loot them, and the map markers you favor (if you fast travel) will eventually be littered with the ashen remains of fallen enemies. (There's a comic for you, the caretaker of Dragonsreach telling off Serana for constantly making such a mess on the bridge.)

There are also a lot more options for the "dog" companion slot. Instead of just Meeko, Vigilance, and Stray, you can also pick up (on the Dawnguard side) armored trolls or even armored huskies, while vampires get hellhounds. Haven't tried any of that yet, but the trolls and huskies look pretty cool.

For the non MQ elements of the expansion, there's one particularly interesting and large sidequest I'd mention first and foremost: "Lost to the Ages", where you help the ghost of a scholar search for an ancient mythic forge created by the dwemer. Doing so requires you to explore five dwemer ruins (well, three, a warehouse outside of another, and a landmark that wasn't even obviously dwemer). All but one (and the interior of a second) of these locations already existed, but they really had little significance until now.

Anyway, Lost to the Ages is pretty interesting if you like dwemer ruins, but the priiize... one of three unique artifacts that you can make: A shield that can render enemies ethereal (unable to hurt or be hurt) for a few seconds upon striking it, a staff that can summon dwemer spiders and spheres, and a circlet that gives you the effect of whatever guardian stone you had last. (As in, if you have the warrior stone, then switch to the mage stone, you'd have the warrior stone every time you put on the crown, until you switch stones again.) Pretty cool, very unique, and the ghost who acts as your follower doesn't use the same character slot as Serana (at least), so I didn't have to juggle followers to complete the mission.

Some of the spells I've seen are pretty interesting. Summon Arvak allows you to summon a spectral horse that will last 60 seconds - but will not disappear while you're riding it. For instance, if you summon it and ride for three minutes, it will vanish immediately after you dismount. It's an odd looking creature, because it's been warped beyond recognition by its new home, but it's not actually evil, the way Shadowmere is sometimes accused of being - it's just a very loyal horse that has spent a long time in a bad place. The new summon spells don't really strike me as great, but I've never been a summoner, so you may able to get better use out of them than I did.

Haven't used the shouts (haven't learned Fus yet), but I've learned the words for a couple. One in particular looks very interesting to me, but it deserves a spoiler for both the vanilla main quest and the Dawnguard main quest:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summon Durneveir looks to be a lot like Summon Dragon, except for two aspects: it's available early (as soon as you can spare three dragon souls), and it's painted in a very different light. Odaviing's doing you a favor when you summon him. When you summon Durneveir, however, you're doing him a favor, because his only chance to taste the open skies is duration of your shout. It may not mean much to some people, but I'm a lot more likely to use Durne because he actually wants to be called upon.

There's also the crossbows, which are fairly powerful and quite useful. They're great for snipers - they have a much flatter trajectory, allowing you to aim more easily. The fact that they can (with the right schematics) ignore 50% of your armor and fire explosive bolts, and the bolts (mundane or explosive) can be crafted rather than found or bought (This includes other arrows now, too, FYI) are gravy.

So, yeah. I like it. And the fact that the two factions, despite having much the same main quests, present them in very different ways with very different game mechanics.

The two things I don't like are these:

1) Vampire raids. Once you start the Dawnguard main quest, the cold war between the vampires and their hunters goes very hot. Although I doubt Dawnguard ambushes are dangerous to anyone but you, vampires are the new dragons - when they raid, there are a lot of corpses left in their wake, and that can easily include villagers you want to preserve (tradesmen, quest-givers, etc). It can also get tiring, slaying yet another swarm of vampires because you needed to go to the store. Great for alchemy training though: garlic and chaurus eggs were common before - combined with vampire dust, you get invisibility and health regen, resulting in very profitable potions.

2) Serana isn't marryable. I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the idea of Serana as a potential spouse much more than most of the vanilla options. The relationship you forge with her is built on trust (she comes to trust you even if you're Dawnguard), working together, and facing a threat that involves her as much as (or more than) you, rather than simply handing her an old mammoth tusk or a glass sword she'd never actually use. Or simply outranking her. There's just more substance in that relationship than most any other one you can forge. It's a shame that Bethesda not only shut that down, but did so with such a half-arsed rationalization that doesn't reflect the gameplay at all (she actually suffers no effect being in a temple).
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

27. - Top - End - #1017

I completely agree with you about Serana- she should be a valid marriage option.

I went the other way and helped the Vampires. The quests were a lot of fun, but I got really, really tired of the Falmer by the end of it.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

28. - Top - End - #1018

Ingjard's totally hotter than Serana. Just sayin'.

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Ingjard's totally hotter than Serana. Just sayin'.
    Not familiar with Ingjard. And I don't give a flying flip who's "hotter", I'd just like a relationship built on more than a doing a favor for them - preferably with someone who has a personality and no exes that will be moving in with them.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

30. - Top - End - #1020

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Not familiar with Ingjard. And I don't give a flying flip who's "hotter", I'd just like a relationship built on more than a doing a favor for them - preferably with someone who has a personality and no exes that will be moving in with them.
    Duly noted (and Ingjard's one of the Dawnguard members).
    Serana's cool, but she just doesn't appeal much to me as a love interest. I can see why people would be upset, though.