New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    My copy should arrive TOMORROW! I'm super excited. I have about 300 hours on Oblivion, and I've done enough reading to know about the important changes like enchanting and mysticism and such.

Does anyone have any tips for making a dual-wielder work effectively?
    Just don't dilute your focus. Stick to combat skills early on, and you'll do just fine. The sword main/dagger offhand is a great combo, it gives better reach and a faster power attack than double daggers, and honestly, dropping people with sneak attack is not where you'll get into trouble, its the fights where you don't get the drop on your enemy. For those, you'll want the long blade.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Regrettably, I am a console player, though I've been considering switching to PC for a while, now.
    If you've got a computer already, there's no reason not to make it a gaming computer. The price on a good video card is about a wash with the price on your typical console system.

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jackal View Post
    Uh.... no.

The best and cheapest perk price for a smith is two points, to get Elven Smithing. That's enough to get 567 with only one point in Agile Defender. If you go up the heavy side of the tree, you don't get a better weapon than Elven until Ebony, 4 perk points up, and the best of the best weapon, Daedric, is a whopping 3 points better than what you'll get from Elven. Woo.
    But by that reasoning heavy armour is the best because the very first perk on the smithing tree is a heavy armour.
    Herpestidae made my Naktem avatar.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Dwarf in the Playground

Does anyone know how well a dunmer vampire assassin/mage would work?
    Avatar by whatever Zjoot became.
    Will take suggested phrases in sig. PM with ideas
    Am I missed in my absence?

5. - Top - End - #545
    Firbolg in the Playground

Does anyone have the translation of the Word Wall which grants the word Stamina in Dimhollow?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by hunt11 View Post
    But by that reasoning heavy armour is the best because the very first perk on the smithing tree is a heavy armour.
    Only if you ignore the fact that the one perk you'll save by not buying Elven Smithing, you'll wind up spending to buy the extra perk in the Heavy Armour perk tree, and, as I said before, get less good perks for your trouble. The only reasons I can think of to justifying taking heavy armour over light is a) concept b) going for Khajiit boxing build.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Does anyone have the translation of the Word Wall which grants the word Stamina in Dimhollow?
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Word_Wall

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Is it worth it to buy Apprentice/Adept Robes and Hood? I'm still wearing my Novice Robes of Alteration and a Novice Hood because I couldn't find anything better and I'm not sure if purchasing them is worth it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not seeing the Dawnguard walls there - unlike this page ;)

10. - Top - End - #550
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    I'm not seeing the Dawnguard walls there - unlike this page ;)
    Sadly I can't access either of those links as my computer blocks most sites, hence why I asked here.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    Sadly I can't access either of those links as my computer blocks most sites, hence why I asked here.
    Here lies (the) body of Svolo,
    Who (?) strength to (?)
    Dragon statue not stamina to
    (?) many
    Whitetext, the whitest of all the text.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

If you've got a computer already, there's no reason not to make it a gaming computer. The price on a good video card is about a wash with the price on your typical console system.
    Really? Hmm...Well when I'm not up to my eyeballs in student loans, I'll do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

A fair and responsible point. Just to put it into perspective, the GPU in a XBox 360 is comparable in performance and features to an ATI Radeon X1800. Not too bad when it launched in 2005, but definitely inferior to the 7 years of improvements we've seen in the market since.

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Only if you ignore the fact that the one perk you'll save by not buying Elven Smithing, you'll wind up spending to buy the extra perk in the Heavy Armour perk tree, and, as I said before, get less good perks for your trouble. The only reasons I can think of to justifying taking heavy armour over light is a) concept b) going for Khajiit boxing build.
    Well, in my experience, the materials needed to forge heavy armor are typically much easier to find than the materials for light armors (Leather and dragon scale armors being the exceptions).

Honestly, how many moonstone and quicksilver mines are there, compared to availability of dwarven metal?
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

15. - Top - End - #555
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Is it worth it to buy Apprentice/Adept Robes and Hood? I'm still wearing my Novice Robes of Alteration and a Novice Hood because I couldn't find anything better and I'm not sure if purchasing them is worth it.
    Worth buying? Honestly, no. The increase from Novice to Apprentice or Adept is really just not that impressive for the cost of thousands of gold, which at that level is really a fair bit for a mage (assuming you're not a member of the Thieves Guild as well). Finding caster's robes aren't all that rare, and considering how small the upgrade is, I'd say you're better off waiting until you're able to purchase Master level robes if you really want them. Though for my money, I think the best option is to purchase College Robes from Radient Rainment in Solitude and enchant them. You'll get much, much better bonuses from doing so. It's no challenge at all to craft outfits that completely remove the casting cost of one or two schools and let you spam whatever spells you like, and when that happens, the school-specific robes are just sort of pointless.

The only exception would be if you've got a buttload of gear in your inventory, no place to store it, and vendors are out of gold. Purely to offload some stuff and not make it a total loss, I've sometimes bought higher-level robes and then used the sale of inventory junk to cover the purchase. But it wasn't something I needed to do; I was just too lazy to travel around the map to sell off my gear properly.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Bugbear in the Playground

That free magic enchanting gimmick doesn't work any more. You can get casting costs down stupidly low, but not quite zero.

As to the robes, I'd say hold out until you loot something, or if your combat is suitable for the time being, a little enchanting grinding and some home made gear is alright.
    Chivalry-the practice of hitting things and claiming it is for the good of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by loopy View Post
    Apparently people can get jaded by over-exposure to awesome.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Can you get costs down to zero with fortify restoration abuse, or did they just change how the cost reductions stack to make it impossible?

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf DW View Post
    Well, in my experience, the materials needed to forge heavy armor are typically much easier to find than the materials for light armors (Leather and dragon scale armors being the exceptions).

Honestly, how many moonstone and quicksilver mines are there, compared to availability of dwarven metal?
    I'll concede that Dwarven Metal is ludicrously common, but it's also a pain to fish out of dungeons in bulk, especially if, like me, you don't want to bother with a caddy, I mean follower. However, that's a rotten reason to take heavy armour over light in any case. You're going to skill up on cheap stuff: Iron, Leather, maybe steel, if you're rich. You actually only need a handful of moonstone to upgrade your gear, since the easiest way to find elven armor is to STAB AN ELF. And in the quantities needed for forging, just buy them off one of the three blacksmiths in Whiterun.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Orc in the Playground

Levelling up actually takes freaking ages with iron and leather now. Dwarven armour is by far the easiest way to get smithing levels, being several times faster than anything lower level than it is. And as you say, it's ludicrously common.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

I'll concede that Dwarven Metal is ludicrously common, but it's also a pain to fish out of dungeons in bulk, especially if, like me, you don't want to bother with a caddy, I mean follower. However, that's a rotten reason to take heavy armour over light in any case. You're going to skill up on cheap stuff: Iron, Leather, maybe steel, if you're rich. You actually only need a handful of moonstone to upgrade your gear, since the easiest way to find elven armor is to STAB AN ELF. And in the quantities needed for forging, just buy them off one of the three blacksmiths in Whiterun.
    As far as I remember, you can hit the armor cap with steel plate armor.

Anyway, yes Stabbing certain kinds of elves are for fun and profit (Thalmor), while others are just a chore (Falmer).
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

That's fine, provided that they have Elven Armor and not Elven Light armor, which was the case for me for an annoying length of time.

Additionally, I should note that, I have died far more times in light armor than I ever did in heavy armor, mostly due to jerks with warhammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tergon View Post
    Levelling up actually takes freaking ages with iron and leather now. Dwarven armour is by far the easiest way to get smithing levels, being several times faster than anything lower level than it is. And as you say, it's ludicrously common.
    Jewelry works well, too. Especially if you have that spell that turns iron into silver into gold.
    Last edited by Beowulf DW; 2012-07-06 at 08:25 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Titan in the Playground

Worth buying? Honestly, no. The increase from Novice to Apprentice or Adept is really just not that impressive for the cost of thousands of gold, which at that level is really a fair bit for a mage (assuming you're not a member of the Thieves Guild as well). Finding caster's robes aren't all that rare, and considering how small the upgrade is, I'd say you're better off waiting until you're able to purchase Master level robes if you really want them. Though for my money, I think the best option is to purchase College Robes from Radient Rainment in Solitude and enchant them. You'll get much, much better bonuses from doing so. It's no challenge at all to craft outfits that completely remove the casting cost of one or two schools and let you spam whatever spells you like, and when that happens, the school-specific robes are just sort of pointless.

The only exception would be if you've got a buttload of gear in your inventory, no place to store it, and vendors are out of gold. Purely to offload some stuff and not make it a total loss, I've sometimes bought higher-level robes and then used the sale of inventory junk to cover the purchase. But it wasn't something I needed to do; I was just too lazy to travel around the map to sell off my gear properly.
    Hm. Thought so. Buying intermediate gear is generally a bad idea in RPGs. It's usually better to save for the best stuff and use looted equipment in the meantime. Thanks for the advice. I can't craft much now, but I keep training Enchantment by disenchanting items and crafting junk.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Once you divert into what is easier over what is better, you've pretty much missed my point. I'm not saying light armour is easier to obtain/skill up, I'm saying that it's both cheaper in terms of perk investment, and better in terms of overall protection and utility. And as for leather and iron taking ages, they're still the most cost-effective way to gain smithing skill, and if you think it's more efficient to lug back a ton of dwarf metal than to buy out your local smiths, then I'm not sure what you're doing with your money.

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    As far as I remember, you can hit the armor cap with steel plate armor.

Anyway, yes Stabbing certain kinds of elves are for fun and profit (Thalmor), while others are just a chore (Falmer).
    Never said you couldn't, but elven is better when you get to the cap, thanks to better perks, and a smaller light armour perk tree.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Titan in the Playground

So, I became the Archmage of the College of Winterhold before even finding the horn of Jurgen Stormcaller. I think I might have rushed that questline a little bit...

26. - Top - End - #566
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, I became the Archmage of the College of Winterhold before even finding the horn of Jurgen Stormcaller. I think I might have rushed that questline a little bit...
    ... yeah in skyrim it isn't hard to rush questlines, the pacing makes it harder not to if you buy into their "urgency" hooks (granted the DGMQ is rumored to have some link to the vamp attacks so it actually does have some urgency to it but I digress)

27. - Top - End - #567
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well it's not completely bad to focus (note I say Focus, not "rush") on a quest line, especially for some of the perks. Bard's college for example, is good for a number of free stat increases and gold. Companions is great for the mid-tier Skyforge weapons and Nord Hero weapons, master level smithing training from Eorlund Graymane, as well as for
    Spoiler
    Show
    being Cursed with Awesome, via Werewolf.

Speaking of which, I'm now focusing much more this time on actually trying to play through most of Skyrim, after stopping early on last time.

Character: Alberik Wyrmblood
    Race/gender: Nord/Male
    Play Style: Warrior oriented, Light Armor, Sword and Board.
    Factions: Companions. Thinking about joining the Storm Cloaks for a first play through.
    Final Fantasy XIV Dragoon custom avatar made by Iruka. Thanks Iruka.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Troll in the Playground

Don't feel too bad, I took over the Dark Brotherhood and finished their quest before even meeting the Greybeards.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

It finally got here (3 days late )! It's installing as I type! This forum needs an excited smiley!
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

The archmage robes, goofy-looking as they are, will be a great perk. Speaking of perks, though, choosing them is painful in Skyrim. There's just so many of them... right now, on level 19, I'm torn between Adept Destruction, Adept Alteration and Apprentice Illusion.