New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

From what I understand, a pure mage has better luck using Illusion (for Frenzy) and/or Conjuration, then going with Destruction. If you are dead-set on using Destruction, then the only two recommendations to make to make things easier are either:

-Just use a staff to cast Destruction spells.
    or
    -Take advantage of what may or may not be a bug, and maximize the damage from the Flames and Firebolt spell. Grab the Augmented Flames perks and the Aspect of Terror Perk form the Illusion tree. Those three perks bring Flame's damage to 22/second and Firebolt's to 47 damage. Grab the Novice/Apprentice Destruction perks and some Destruction cost-reducing gear, couple it with a high Destruction skill and you can spam those spells almost constantly.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #722
    Titan in the Playground

Destruction can't really win fights on its own, but coupled with other magic schools it's manageable. I've reached level 29 with my pure Breton mage without using any companions - I hate companions in games like Skyrim as a rule. Just make sure you've got good magicka regeneration and potions for emergencies. Conjuration and Illusion will help keep the heat off you by having the enemies fight each other and your summons. Alteration will keep you somewhat protected even if you're not wearing any armor. Restoration will let you quickly heal. Compared to the chore that was playing a pure mage in Morrowind, Skyrim is a cakewalk.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-07-15 at 06:03 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

I disagree. An Altmer with impact and fire magic can plow it's way through just about anything. The only problem you'll really encounter are wards. And those are a problem for just about any type of mage except a conjurer though since they're directional, you can drop a fireball behind them and get them that way.

Combine that with magic usage mitigation, and you can easily fire nearly forever. (I don't use cost reduction cheese except for ultra-high-level non-mages.)

On the other hand, if you're on the PC, using Balanced Magic really helps, along with a mod to boost dual casting to a 3x modifier.

Of course, Midas Magic also helps a lot.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Titan in the Playground

Huh. Balanced Magic looks pretty tempting, but I'm worried how it'd mesh with an already high-level mage, since it apparently removes Mage Armor.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #725
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't remove it, but replaces it with a constant ability for not wearing armor. And if you've taken those perks already, it wouldn't be cheating to add them with the console.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

I installed it, to try it out, and it seems that Mage Armor was simply replaced with the Less is More perk, and the point spent on the old perk was assigned to the new one. So no problems here.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Halfling in the Playground

Completed all the main greybeard/whiterun quests, as well as the quest where you see a dragon being revived (And promptly kill him. heh.)

Currently working towards finishing "The Heart of Dibella".

I've also gone to Shearpoint, where I killed the dragon but was promptly slaughtered by Krosis, multiple times for about an hour and a half before I gave up and decided to come back later. It's not worth fighting that thing for one lousy shout
    Last edited by Abscondcrow; 2012-07-15 at 06:47 PM.
    My Pontyar, by the magnificent elemental. :D
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Abscondcrow View Post
    Krosis

Completed all the main greybeard/whiterun quests, as well as the quest where you see a dragon being revived (And promptly kill him. heh.)

Currently working towards finishing "The Heart of Dibella".

I've also gone to Shearpoint, where I killed the dragon but was promptly slaughtered by Krosis, multiple times for about an hour and a half before I gave up and decided to come back later. It's not worth fighting that thing for one lousy shout
    Krosis is a nasty surprise, isn't he? Good mask for alchemy and archery, though.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Titan in the Playground

Oh yes. Krosis kicked my rear end in several different ways. I ended up having to lower the difficulty to deal with him.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Orc in the Playground

Ah Krosis... the first time I found him he beat my rear end all over Shearpoint. In the end I ran up, grabbed the shout and skedaddled out of there.

I was going to make a similar word grab with a different low-level character at one point as I found myself passing by Shearpoint. This character had so far only been following the Dark Brotherhood questline and recently acquired Shadowmere... who apparently has had a sex change between Oblivion and Skyrim, but hey whatever.

Anyway, after rushing up, having Krosis pop up and grabbing the shout I was prepared to bugger off... when Shadowmere decides to charge Krosis. What I thought would be the end of my horsey in fact turned into ten minutes of my badass, immortal demon horse tanking Krosis' fireballs whilst I peppered a bajillion arrows into his butt until he fell off a cliff and died from the fall.

One of the oddest, yet thoroughly amusing things that has happened to me in the game.
    If I had a +1 Pan of Frying I could totally do that!

11. - Top - End - #731
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I dunno about you guys, but when I first ran into Krosis I abused Fus ro Dah to knock him into the Giant Camp down the cliff.

...It was efficient, as it turns out, but it took me a long time to find the body.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

I don't remember having that many issues with Krosis, but I didn't wander past Shearpoint until after I had Otar's mask which reduced elemental damage.

Actually getting Otar's mask was an entirely different issue - in the end I ended up using the environment and the AI against him (thin wooden beams and ropes unintentionally blocking his lightning bolts and he has issues looking above him on certain platforms) and sniping him slowly to death.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Titan in the Playground

I'm trying the Fortify Alchemy/Fortify Enchantment loop and it's not working. The bonuses stay the same. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

It only goes up to about a 32% bonus or so (without adding in Fortify Restoration). Have you reached that and got stuck, or is it just not working at all?

15. - Top - End - #735
    Titan in the Playground

It's just not working. I don't get any increase in the magnitude of the items and potions. Of course, after looking it up, you actually needs to have a much better enchantment and alchemy than I do for that. So never mind.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-07-15 at 02:25 PM.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It's just not working. I don't get any increase in the magnitude of the items and potions. Of course, after looking it up, you actually needs to have a much better enchantment and alchemy than I do for that. So never mind.
    Okay, are you doing the legitimate one or exploit?

Letimate: Requires all the skill-related perks in enchanting and alchemy to get impressive scores (all of the first perk for each, skillful enchanter, and benefactor). The end result is worth the effort, but it's a lot of effort.

Exploit: You have to drink the potion, take OFF your alchemy gear, leave the menu, return to the menu, and put them back on. It has to actually remove the effect from you and then re-add it or nothing changes.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Titan in the Playground

I'm using the legitimate one and yes, now I know you need to have high skills and all the relevant perks. Not sure if I'll ever get good enough for this to work, but I'll keep it in mind if I do.

18. - Top - End - #738
    Ogre in the Playground

Also important: You need to be fast on the enchanting to get a result. The fortify enchantment wears off even when crafting.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

19. - Top - End - #739
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, as my pure mage I did the initial quest for the Winterhold Jarl for the first time.
    I think this is the most disturbing quest I have found in the game so far.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

20. - Top - End - #740
    Dwarf in the Playground

The one where you have to get the Helm? How's that disturbing?
    Avatar by whatever Zjoot became.
    Will take suggested phrases in sig. PM with ideas
    Am I missed in my absence?

21. - Top - End - #741
    Firbolg in the Playground

The creepiest thing I've found is that Ygnol Barrow full of elritch abominations.
    THEY WILL DRIVE YOU MAD. MAD I TELL YOU.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grue Bait View Post
    The one where you have to get the Helm? How's that disturbing?
    Well...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guy starting of with experimenting on corpses, then discovers the milk maid who he has killed then reanimated, and discover that she turned into a ghost instead of draugr... He then discovers he enjoys the sensation of her "body" against his and ends up kidnapping and murdering every young woman he can get her hands on turning them into happily compliant sex slave ghosts.

Of course the apocalyptic logs in the cave makes the story more justice than my short summarize...

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Well...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Guy starting of with experimenting on corpses, then discovers the milk maid who he has killed then reanimated, and discover that she turned into a ghost instead of draugr... He then discovers he enjoys the sensation of her "body" against his and ends up kidnapping and murdering every young woman he can get her hands on turning them into happily compliant sex slave ghosts.

Of course the apocalyptic logs in the cave makes the story more justice than my short summarize...
    You know, that quest can happen in a number of locations. In my case, the Helm was in Driftshade Refuge and it was basically just clearing a dungeon full of Silver Hand.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    You know, that quest can happen in a number of locations. In my case, the Helm was in Driftshade Refuge and it was basically just clearing a dungeon full of Silver Hand.
    Well that explains the different experiences...

25. - Top - End - #745
    Orc in the Playground

They're also not that happily compliant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you find everyone's favourite Necrophiliac sitting on his throne with a couple of his spectral hookers waiting on him, there's a soul gem on a pedestal nearby. That's the control mechanism he keeps them under his sway with. Take away the soul gem and they react pretty much as one would expect a bunch of violent, wrathful spirits with one hell of a grudge against him would react.

They're still hostile toward you afterwards, and you'll probably have to put the spirits out of their misery to get out of the cave, but I always make a point of doing that when I complete the quest. I figure the spirits deserve their chance to vent.

EDIT: Also, while that quest was gross as hell, that wasn't the most disturbing quest in Skyrim for me. Not by a long shot. That dubious honour goes to Frostflow Abyss, better known as "That creepy ****ing quest in the lighthouse near Dawnstar".
    Spoiler
    Show
    Descending down through the caves of the Falmer, finding the slaughtered family with the diaries detailing what happened to them. By the time I found the daughter whose suicide note described watching her father get weaker and weaker, and then ending with "I don't know where he kept this dagger but I think I know why he gave it to me" before the page is obscured by her own blood.... brr. That's the point where I lost any and all sympathy for the Falmer for what the Dwemer did to them. Killing them stopped being a chore at that point - hunting them down and killing them at every chance just became the right thing to do.
    Last edited by Tergon; 2012-07-16 at 04:03 AM.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tergon View Post
    They're also not that happily compliant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you find everyone's favourite Necrophiliac sitting on his throne with a couple of his spectral hookers waiting on him, there's a soul gem on a pedestal nearby. That's the control mechanism he keeps them under his sway with. Take away the soul gem and they react pretty much as one would expect a bunch of violent, wrathful spirits with one hell of a grudge against him would react.

They're still hostile toward you afterwards, and you'll probably have to put the spirits out of their misery to get out of the cave, but I always make a point of doing that when I complete the quest. I figure the spirits deserve their chance to vent.

EDIT: Also, while that quest was gross as hell, that wasn't the most disturbing quest in Skyrim for me. Not by a long shot. That dubious honour goes to Frostflow Abyss, better known as "That creepy ****ing quest in the lighthouse near Dawnstar".
    Spoiler
    Show
    Descending down through the caves of the Falmer, finding the slaughtered family with the diaries detailing what happened to them. By the time I found the daughter whose suicide note described watching her father get weaker and weaker, and then ending with "I don't know where he kept this dagger but I think I know why he gave it to me" before the page is obscured by her own blood.... brr. That's the point where I lost any and all sympathy for the Falmer for what the Dwemer did to them. Killing them stopped being a chore at that point - hunting them down and killing them at every chance just became the right thing to do.
    Reminds me of the book retrieval quest. As my mage is not EVIL as much as he is AMBITIOUS, PRACTICAL and Do Not Suffer Fools he simply released all the vampire test subjects and let them eat the mages...
    I missed that opportunity this time; I spotted him before he spotted us, so we steamrolled him and his unwilling entourage.

As for the Lighthouse. Yes, I know that one, but somehow the impact is lessened due to the fact that well... they are monsters. Humans that behave like monsters are far more disturbing than monsters behaving like monsters.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

As for the Lighthouse. Yes, I know that one, but somehow the impact is lessened due to the fact that well... they are monsters. Humans that behave like monsters are far more disturbing than monsters behaving like monsters.
    I believe Falmer were originally elves of some sort (snow elves?) before they degenerated into their CHUD-esque form (that big statue at the end of the Nightingale quest is the only representation of what they looked like before).

So they're monsters now, but they were 'human' before and judging from their slave pits in that massive underground cavern, retain enough 'humanity' to know how to be cruel.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Oni View Post
    I believe Falmer were originally elves of some sort (snow elves?) before they degenerated into their CHUD-esque form (that big statue at the end of the Nightingale quest is the only representation of what they looked like before).

So they're monsters now, but they were 'human' before and judging from their slave pits in that massive underground cavern, retain enough 'humanity' to know how to be cruel.
    They are snow elves which have somehow had there souls changed from Black to White, probably because of the dwarves as they were in need of souls to power there machines.

This turned them animals basically. As far as I know they are simply going on instinct and trying to mimic their masters which have disappeared.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also in Dawnguard we get to see what they looked like before they went blind.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-07-16 at 07:18 AM.
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

29. - Top - End - #749
    Spamalot in the Playground

Speaking of mods... what are your five or ten favorite ones?
    Unofficial Skyrim Patch, Ultimate Follower Overhaul, Apachiiskyhair, CoverKhajiits, Smoother Khajiit Faces, Lydia as a Khajiit, Khajiit Ears and Helmet Hair...

I like stealth?

I'm guessing the game takes Falmer blindness into account when in stealth mode. I have the "Muffle" ability on my boots and that alone makes stealth archery easy. However, I haven't met a Falmer yet that noticed my bow and arrow up in their face.
    Point. Blank. Shot.

Dwemer machines on the other hand...
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

30. - Top - End - #750
    Ogre in the Playground

Speaking of mods... what are your five or ten favorite ones?
    1) MOONPATH!
    2) Extended Sliders.
    3) Extensible follower framework or amazing follower tweaks depending on if you want to assemble an army of followers or not.
    4) Moonpath!
    5) Midas Magic.

But seriously get moonpath. Its amazing.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC