New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    Ya know, I'm pretty sure the argument is moot. Bethesda made it as morally/ethically grey as possible, so that neither side is "right". This keeps it an "issue" that people will keep arguing about, all the better for the Thalmor's Bethesda's wallet.
    +1.

I think that's as accurate as it can get.

I've got a question... how long are guards following you? I want to do the Achievment Master Criminal. The solution to this would be going in killing one then run like hell... but as i said i turned my pc off this thursday after i ran from dawnstar nearly to winterhold... they seem to keep finding me. I outrun one, then the other suddenly found me...

Another re-ask of my question is: UFO and Jaysus Swords... do they have other names in the Steam Workshop? It seems I can find mod-parts for UFO but not UFO itself.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

2. - Top - End - #812
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzman View Post
    I've got a question... how long are guards following you? I want to do the Achievment Master Criminal. The solution to this would be going in killing one then run like hell... but as i said i turned my pc off this thursday after i ran from dawnstar nearly to winterhold... they seem to keep finding me. I outrun one, then the other suddenly found me...
    I've only tried it once just to see how it works. Killed someone in Whiterun and then ran to Markarth. They stopped chasing me halfway there, but that might be because I was climbing hills. Something NPCs aren't to bright about.

I assume its safe once you get INTO the gates of another major hold. Supposedly crimes don't carry over to other jurisdictions.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2012-07-19 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Fixed code
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I've only tried it once just to see how it works. Killed someone in Whiterun and then ran to Markarth. They stopped chasing me halfway there, but that might be because I was climbing hills. Something NPCs aren't to bright about.

I assume its safe once you get INTO the gates of another major hold. Supposedly crimes don't carry over to other jurisdictions.
    "I killed a man in Whiterun/just to watch him die."
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Fortunately, a Monk 1/Warblade 19 uses Iron Heart Surge to end the Monk character class, and the day is saved.

4. - Top - End - #814
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I did it. I killed the final boss. Now I guess I'll keep doing all the sidequests and try to reach 100 in a couple of skills. There's still plenty to do.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I don't want this to devolve into yet another slugfest over the legitimacy of Ulfric's cause, but I'll just say that Alvor's opinion is just that: an opinion. If you judge Ulfric by his words and deeds, rather than what his detractors say about him, you get a different picture. Or at least I did.

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

One of the magazine reviews I read concluded (to his surprise) that not only do the guards follow you all the way, the holds will fight.

He stole the horse in Whiterun and rode it non-stop to riften. Just as he was about to enter the gate (after looking around outside) he suddenly noticed all the guards mobilizing. Turns out about 5 guards from Whiterun came around the bend and a huge battle started... Riften won.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-07-19 at 12:33 PM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #817
    Titan in the Playground

I have a bit of a conundrum with my warrior character in Skyrim. His Two-Handed skill is advancing so much faster than everything else that I don't have anything to spend my perks on but that - my other skills aren't developed enough yet...
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    I have a bit of a conundrum with my warrior character in Skyrim. His Two-Handed skill is advancing so much faster than everything else that I don't have anything to spend my perks on but that - my other skills aren't developed enough yet...
    Hm... I don't have that problem. Are you doing anythnig else? No alchemy? No smithing? No sneaking or archery?
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

9. - Top - End - #819
    Titan in the Playground

Archery, smithing, light armor, block, a bit of sneaking. I'm level 9 and my Two-Handed is on 39. Smithing is on 30, mostly because I spent some money on training. Everything else is below 30.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ogre in the Playground

Archery, smithing, light armor, block, a bit of sneaking. I'm level 9 and my Two-Handed is on 39. Smithing is on 30, mostly because I spent some money on training. Everything else is below 30.
    Wow, I had Smithing on 100 way before i got anything except for one handed near 30... it could be leveling faster because you activated the warrior stone?
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

11. - Top - End - #821
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, but as you're no doubt aware, Smithing, Block and Archery also benefit from the Warrior stone. And I'm not sure how I'm supposed to level Smithing so quickly without exploits or grinding.

12. - Top - End - #822
    Ogre in the Playground

i "grinded" if you like to tell it that iron ore. went to the mines surrounding whiterun because i wanted to do something with the dragon stuff and there you got many iron stuff. although that gave me nearly 10 levels from smithing alone...
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

13. - Top - End - #823
    Titan in the Playground

Was this before or after the change in smithing? I broke 100 by level 10 before, just scavenging the battlefields of warzones.

Bounties are tied to holds, though for any more than 1000 gold you'll have Bounty hunters after you.

The Thalmor did indeed attack the Bretons, and were ultimately beaten back by them. The Bretons are not precisely as aggressive as Nords, but they probably will hold a grudge, and if they see the Thalmor busy dealing with other issues like celebrating defeating the Talos worshippers, or being frustrated at the Empire telling them to stuff it, they're going to take the opportunity to strike.

I wish there was an option to have Balgruuf accept the axe and defend Whiterun against the Empire.

So, I've partially finished my castle, and now I need to figure out what to do with the rest of the excessively large master bedroom I made. This is what it looks like. I've got crafting in another room, and a mead hall so I'm rather at a loss of what to put here. Anyone have thought on what to put here?

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

i "grinded" if you like to tell it that iron ore. went to the mines surrounding whiterun because i wanted to do something with the dragon stuff and there you got many iron stuff. although that gave me nearly 10 levels from smithing alone...
    I would call it grinding and I have no intention of doing anything like that.
    Anyway, as a result of what I mentioned above, my Archery is so underleveled I can't kill anything with it.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I would call it grinding and I have no intention of doing anything like that.
    Anyway, as a result of what I mentioned above, my Archery is so underleveled I can't kill anything with it.
    Four solutions to non-grinding that I've used:

1) Use bound weapons. Good power without the need for smithing.
    2) Just use "Player.advskill smithing 10000000" to max out your skill
    3) Use a mod like Crafter's Might, which gives you a ring that fortifies your crafting skills to a useful level.
    4) Warrior Stone + Well Rested/Lover's Comfort + crafting expensive items. Jewelry in particular is good these days.

Now, I know option 2 is cheating, but I'll put it this way: I've ground up that skill a dozen times. Some times I just don't feel like doing the same thing again. So yes, it's cheating, I don't care.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

16. - Top - End - #826
    Titan in the Playground

Crafting skills in Skyrim are pretty good - despite my deep loathing of crafting in computer games - but unfortunately, they require grinding to level. If you just make items you actually need, those skills will stay low.
    Anyway, it's not so much smithing and archery that worry me but light armor and block. They're way behind two handed weapons on this character. And I can't spend my perks on anything except two handed weapons because all the other skills are too low.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Four solutions to non-grinding that I've used:

1) Use bound weapons. Good power without the need for smithing.
    2) Just use "Player.advskill smithing 10000000" to max out your skill
    3) Use a mod like Crafter's Might, which gives you a ring that fortifies your crafting skills to a useful level.
    4) Warrior Stone + Well Rested/Lover's Comfort + crafting expensive items. Jewelry in particular is good these days.

Now, I know option 2 is cheating, but I'll put it this way: I've ground up that skill a dozen times. Some times I just don't feel like doing the same thing again. So yes, it's cheating, I don't care.
    Aye I've added a couple of books to my game that give +10 smithing, enchanting or alchemy each and when I feel it's appropriate I read one or two books.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Crafting skills in Skyrim are pretty good - despite my deep loathing of crafting in computer games - but unfortunately, they require grinding to level. If you just make items you actually need, those skills will stay low.
    Anyway, it's not so much smithing and archery that worry me but light armor and block. They're way behind two handed weapons on this character. And I can't spend my perks on anything except two handed weapons because all the other skills are too low.
    My recommendations:

Spoiler
    Show
    Join the Dark Brotherhood (if your characters ethical code will permit it), and spend spare funds on light armour training from Nazim. Also, become the Harbinger of the Companions and get free block training from Njada Stonearm.

If you don't wish to grind smithing, you can also avail yourself of trainers for that as well. Making money in Skyrim is supremely easy, even without any sort of grinding. Just take quests and complete them. Between the loot dropped by your defeated foes and the rewards for the missions you've accepted, you should have ample funds for training.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Titan in the Playground

Training is definetly an option, yes. I used it several times with my mage character to catch up on some skills I'd neglected.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Titan in the Playground

The thing is that with a two handed weapon, light armor and block rather quickly become pointless. You can't block the stuff you need to, which is magic and arrows, and the rest of the stuff tends to die so fast that you don't need to block or have armor on. Being light means you can dodge one handers and two handers can simply be knocked out because they can't block. Not that every enemy in Skyrim doesn't telegraph their attacks for minutes before anyway.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Firbolg in the Playground

Armour skills are pretty much one of those things that you honestly need to pay trainers to properly level. Mainly because leveling them in use requires that you allow enemies to hit you - less than desirable for obvious reasons, especially at low level.

In terms of combat style, I've been having tremendous fun with dual-wielding weapons and combining them with the Slow Time shout. In fact, the slow time shout in general is just awesome for a lot of combats. Generally, you can finish an entire group of enemies before the first one has even hit the floor, which is quite fun in a 'building your legend' way.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

22. - Top - End - #832
    Titan in the Playground

One important change from Oblivion to Skyrim, is that now even if you block you'll still raise armor as well as block, unlike Oblivion, which was an either/or situation.

Now as for armor, it really depends on how long it's taking you to kill things. If you've got dual daggers and are using sneak attacks to rofl-stomp enemies, then you're not getting hit and you're not going to get much armor.

If you've got a big two hander and you're one shotting enemies, again, not getting hit, not getting armor skill.

On the other hand, if you're working sword and board, chances are you're blocking, which means you're raising three skills, One-Handed, Block and an Armor skill. Which means you'll get stronger, very quickly.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Ogre in the Playground

@Morty: You're doing great. If you're leveling mostly due to two-handed, then you're just fine. I beat the game with a two-handed/heavy armor nord, and I had the same "problem". I played on Master and it still wasn't hard, everything just dies so quickly. Just keep plenty of potions/food that restore stamina and health.

I would intentionally collect restore health ingredients, then make tons of potions when I got back home - so that raised my alchemy. I would also collect all the leather/ore/soulgems, then craft them all as well. That raised my smith/enchant. I kept a bow, but would only shoot once or twice a battle, and then only if I saw the enemy before they saw me. I trained in heavy armor and block because I had a lot of money to spend, so I put perks there as well. I raised restoration to 40 so I could get that perk that let you restore stamina when restoring health. That was pretty much it. I always kept me and Lydia/Jordis in the best armor with the best weapons as possible.

My solution to the game was "Power attack, restore health/stamina if necessary, repeat". I imagine two-handed is the easiest way to beat the game.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

I don't know about fighting dragons that way, but it's certainly the fastest path through the Civil War missions.

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ogre in the Playground

It actually works great with dragons, because every time you power attack, they stagger. As long as you keep your stamina up, they're dead.

The hardest enemies are mages, actually, because they always run away and it's kinda hard to aim a running power attack. That, and they seem to always 1-hit KO with their borked spells.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

26. - Top - End - #836
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    Armour skills are pretty much one of those things that you honestly need to pay trainers to properly level. Mainly because leveling them in use requires that you allow enemies to hit you - less than desirable for obvious reasons, especially at low level.
    I disagree. All you need is mud (crabs)

Yeah yeah, people are going to throw that "you don't need/want to grind" line but no, you don't need to spend a septim on this. There are some spots out there with as many as four to five mudcrabs. Do this right and you can train armor, block, and restoration at the same time.

In my case I already had high smithing & enchanting when I started so I had a well-improved suit of armor to take with me, especially when I was ready to train heavy armor. That might color my belief on how easy this is to do, in fairness.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This is just great. Sven, my follower, is now locked into an eternal duel with that follower girl in the Bannered Mare. Neither of them can harm the other one (not sure why), and I cannot cast any sort of Illusion spell strong enough to calm them. Help?

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

Try to find a scroll.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

29. - Top - End - #839
    Titan in the Playground

I think that at this point, console commands might be your best bet. Give yourself a powerful scroll, spell or just force them to stop fighting.

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    I disagree. All you need is mud (crabs)

Yeah yeah, people are going to throw that "you don't need/want to grind" line but no, you don't need to spend a septim on this. There are some spots out there with as many as four to five mudcrabs. Do this right and you can train armor, block, and restoration at the same time.

In my case I already had high smithing & enchanting when I started so I had a well-improved suit of armor to take with me, especially when I was ready to train heavy armor. That might color my belief on how easy this is to do, in fairness.
    Hilariously, this is how my first character recieved his last ten or so levels of Heavy Armor and Block.

Except with Giants.