New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 50 FirstFirst ... 163132333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

Currently trying to put an emphasis on Archery with my present character, and I'm discovering just how much fun the sniper perks are. Time slows down, and it's carefully aimed arrows to the face for everyone.

...I may also have been shooting Lydia in the back embarrassingly often. This is the problem with a melee-focused follower in dungeons, there's never enough room to shoot past them.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Titan in the Playground

I'm betting on Long Lost Smelters of Skyrim for the smelter mod.

Yes, Archer types are tons of fun. I love playing them, though at first it's pretty hard to actually kill anything in a timely fashion. It's not until the knockback perk arrives that it becomes easy.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

Who needs the knockback perk? Put some points into sneakery, get that triple bow sneak attack perk, never bother to leave sneak again.

Combine with smithing/enchanting for (early) awesome and faendal and you are set for life.

EDIT: long lost smelters is right.

My current playthrough -started- as an attempt at playing a "civilian"

And then it rapidly turned into playing an aetherium plated, dwemer power armored, sword and board destroyer who rampages through forsworn camps and leaves none alive behind me.
    Last edited by NineThePuma; 2012-09-11 at 06:32 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Spamalot in the Playground

My character is a sneak archer. It is a lot of fun yes!
    Though now that I have a 100 skill in Archery and Sneak (with appropriate perks), the challenge is pretty low most of the time. I still find amusment in that sneak-attacking most humanoids sends them flying/bouncing around half the time.
    I hit a skeleton once so hard that all his bones went scattering around the room, with bits of it stuck in mid air from physics giving up.

I'm designing my own mod now (Add my own touch of smelters and Proudspire storage fix) for my next character, which I think it's time to build. The only quests I haven't done are the Thief's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and the main questline.
    The first two are ironic since my character's build would have been suited to play those.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

5. - Top - End - #1205

I have two questions:
    Firstly, is there any reason why whiterun guards and Alvor would immediately start attacking Gerdur? I ask because in the middle of the day while I was smithing, they murdered her for no reason. Then ten minutes later a courier sent me a letter from the Jarl of Whiterun giving me his condolences.

Secondly, what does it mean if your Imperial Bow has a green arrow icon on its name when its in the inventory?
    Spoiler: Old Avatar by Aruius
    Show
    http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q56/Zeritho/Koboldbard.png

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Milo v3 View Post
    I have two questions:
    Firstly, is there any reason why whiterun guards and Alvor would immediately start attacking Gerdur? I ask because in the middle of the day while I was smithing, they murdered her for no reason. Then ten minutes later a courier sent me a letter from the Jarl of Whiterun giving me his condolences.

Secondly, what does it mean if your Imperial Bow has a green arrow icon on its name when its in the inventory?
    Apparently, Gerdur can go into frenzy sometimes when you fast travel. She becomes hostile and the guards stab her until she stops moving.

As for the bow, no clue.
    Last edited by Rake21; 2012-09-11 at 09:46 PM.
    "How're we doing?"
    "The dwarf's on fire."
    "So as bad as usual, huh?"

7. - Top - End - #1207

Quote Originally Posted by Rake21 View Post
    Apparently, Gerdur can go into frenzy sometimes when you fast travel. She becomes hostile and the guards stab her until she stops moving.

As for the bow, no clue.
    I haven't fast travelled once in my profile, and this happened while I was smithing.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-09-11 at 10:06 PM.
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    My current playthrough -started- as an attempt at playing a "civilian"

And then it rapidly turned into playing an aetherium plated, dwemer power armored, sword and board destroyer who rampages through forsworn camps and leaves none alive behind me.
    Eh, sounds like a citizen of Skyrim to me.
    Avatar by whatever Zjoot became.
    Will take suggested phrases in sig. PM with ideas
    Am I missed in my absence?

9. - Top - End - #1209

This is Skyrim. The locals are all complete lunatics. When an Elder Dragon swoops over the mountain and lands outside the city, ready to immolate the world with it's fiery breath, the average reaction of the stable-boy nearby is to grab a kitchen knife and lunge at the big scaly bastard.

Just unlocked the Daedric smithing perk, and I'm torn on the whole matter. On the one hand, you basically look like an infernal Witch-King, which is awesome. On the other, well, I keep expecting to accidentally impale myself on my own spikes.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

10. - Top - End - #1210

Green arrow icon? Do you mean like a little icon at the end of the name pointing up?

If you haven't seen this already, here's an article about someone who installed about 100 mods all at once without looking at them. Just as an experiment in hilarity:
    The World According to Sheogorath

NSFW Warning, as some mods are kinda um... NPC nakey.
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2012-09-12 at 07:05 AM.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

11. - Top - End - #1211

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Green arrow icon? Do you mean like a little icon at the end of the name pointing up?
    I think your talking about that triangle.

The arrow I'm talking about is appears to be a literal arrow except it is drawn, was completely green in colour, and appears to have a snake wrapped around it.

EDIT: After going through 3 pages of google, I found it meant that the weapon is currently poisoned.
    Last edited by Milo v3; 2012-09-12 at 07:40 AM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Troll in the Playground

Having read some of the "According To sheogorath" I want the "forests are big scary forests" and other "realism" mods. Might make things more entertaining.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sooooo.... I finally decided to do the Forsword quest- the one sparked by the murder you witness. I went all around Markarth and found all the evidence. Got to the point where I'm supposed to return to the quest giver in the shrine of Talos

... and he's dead.

He's lying in a heap at the foot of Talos' shrine with 2 guards standing nearby. I searched his body, but didn't find anything that triggered the next stage of the quest.

Am I unable to complete this quest now?
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Am I unable to complete this quest now?
    The guards are supposed to talk to you when you enter. Try leaving and coming back and/or reloading?

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Troll in the Playground

I'm thinking about adding Frostfall, and Cloaks of Skyrim, but I'm not sure if I should do a "clean" character for that or not.

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I'm designing my own mod now (Add my own touch of smelters and Proudspire storage fix) for my next character, which I think it's time to build. The only quests I haven't done are the Thief's Guild, Dark Brotherhood, and the main questline.
    The first two are ironic since my character's build would have been suited to play those.
    DB or sure, as it stands though the DB eventually leads you to the Theives briefly. My current Argonian is the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood, and the Guild Master of the Thieves Guild. Soon he'll be the boss of the Companions and the Head Master of the College of Winterhold.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Troll in the Playground

It doesn't really... "lead into" it, it puts you in riften and has you talk to someone in the ragged flaggon.

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, the one in the MQ is more direct, but less subtle.

19. - Top - End - #1219

EDIT: After going through 3 pages of google, I found it meant that the weapon is currently poisoned.
    Ah! I did not know that. I've never gone into my inventory when I used poison on a weapon. Now I want to go check that out for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Having read some of the "According To sheogorath" I want the "forests are big scary forests" and other "realism" mods. Might make things more entertaining.
    That article was quite useful for finding out about some ore obscure mods. Dunno exactly which one is the forest mod, but it could be similar to this:
    Better Forests

I can imagine it makes life harder for dragons to get to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    The guards are supposed to talk to you when you enter. Try leaving and coming back and/or reloading?
    If that doesn't work, perhaps committing a jailable crime and submitting to the guards might work. Though I'd suggest for CreganTur, to make a save beforehand in case something goes wrong.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

20. - Top - End - #1220

I finally got the guards to talk to me by walking around the shrine. At a certain point I somehow triggered the conversation.
    Last edited by CreganTur; 2012-09-13 at 07:24 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1221
    Orc in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I hated the guilds in Skyrim....and Oblivion for that matter. The "You can be head of all 3 even if you have nothing to offer 2 of them" thing they have going just breaks ANY immersion.

Only one that has a good excuse for you to be important to them is the DB, and that's ONLY because you can hear the Night Mother.

22. - Top - End - #1222
    Titan in the Playground

I look at the guilds and think: Okay, that means I have one game where I'm not expected to roleplay at all, and so I don't. That's my first, exploration game. Then I just only do the ones I expect to want to roleplay. If I'm doing a sneak-thief, I'll run the thieves guild. If I'm playing an ugly, evil jerk, I'll pick up the Brotherhood.

If I'm playing any sort of mage, I run the Mage's Guild. And warriors go through the Companions.

I also tend to do certain ones together. A Thief type is more suited to the DB, though I also like to be a companion, even if I only get to Werewolf level.

Honestly, I can justify being the Harbinger, because the job is entirely giving advice and since I spend a lot of time in Whiterun anyway, I don't worry about it from an RP standpoint. Being Arch-mage is a research position, so I'm just out doing field research, and if they need to find me, they're wizards and can find me.

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Titan in the Playground

The guilds in Skyrim are pretty bad. They might be the game's weakest point. It's not just the fact that you can become their leader without knowing a damn thing about the necessary skills. Even if you have the skills they need, it's still too easy and way too short. I really liked the guilds in Morrowind - there, you had to hone your skills and run missions to advance, and it felt appropriately serious.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

24. - Top - End - #1224

The only guild I that I have trouble justifying is the Mage's College. The Dark Brotherhood is the easiest since you are simply the Listener. With the Companions you aren't really leader so much as the main representative of the order, and it has the justification that you're Harbringer by, hook or by crook, being the best damn fighter in Jorrvasker. The Thieves Guild at least requires that you'd have done the Questline plus the Special Jobs to be named the Guildmaster. I think if the College had Special Jobs like the Thieves Guild it'd be a little easier to accept your promotion to Archmage.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1225

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_Shadowblade View Post
    The only guild I that I have trouble justifying is the Mage's College. The Dark Brotherhood is the easiest since you are simply the Listener. With the Companions you aren't really leader so much as the main representative of the order, and it has the justification that you're Harbringer by, hook or by crook, being the best damn fighter in Jorrvasker. The Thieves Guild at least requires that you'd have done the Questline plus the Special Jobs to be named the Guildmaster. I think if the College had Special Jobs like the Thieves Guild it'd be a little easier to accept your promotion to Archmage.
    The Thieves Guild questline was honestly one of the high points of the game for me. The other guilds were all pretty lacking though. And the Bard College was just a waste of space.

Edit: Not counting Dark Brotherhood, whom I haven't gotten around to doing yet. I've heard that questline is good, but I haven't played with a character yet who I felt comfortable running around killing people. Maybe I'll split off a save to try it soon.
    Last edited by Seerow; 2012-09-13 at 02:08 PM.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Troll in the Playground

The College questline just feels really lack luster to me.

It has this very -intense- atmosphere, but it feels rushed. I would have liked it a lot more if it had involved more interactions with the other members of the college.

27. - Top - End - #1227

I'm surprised there isn't a quest at the end to become Jarl of Whiterun or something.
    Out of the guild quests I've done, the Companions line was my favorite thus far. A little odd since my character is a sneak-archer, but I guess that was the charm of it? Being an intelligent warrior?
    Digo Dragon - Artist

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel like Skyrim as a whole is an exercise in gaming self-control to get the experience you want. Yes, you can become Arch Mage by punching 95% of the problems you face- but you don't have to punch any of them if you don't let yourself. You can use nothing but magic and still be a member of the Companions- or you can use nothing but your teeth and fingernails. Your playstyle can encompass sword and shield and bow and magic, just one of them, or any combination. You can wear all of the armor you find or only wear the armor you craft for yourself. You can play a lot of RPG's like this, really, but Skyrim immediately felt to me like an extreme look at "your way of playing". I know the way it's set up is borderline insulting to some people, and broken to a lot of others, but to me I think they hit it on the head as a concept. It feels natural to me, personally, as I RP a character in the early game, deciding as I go by the flow of the story what to use and what not to use. My first character was my impression of the Nord in the demo videos, and I didn't use any magic at all. Never made the conscious decision that way, just didn't. *shrug*

That's how I see the systems set up in Skyrim. Maybe it's just that it fits by coincidence how I naturally ended up playing. I acknowledge that it's fully possible to break immersion in the game by doing things that are contrary to expectations. I guess that I just play by expectations.

29. - Top - End - #1229

My main character is "earning" his way through all the questlines.

When he does mage quests, he wears his dragonscale armor of ultimate magic and blasts everything to ash. Just built my Dragonplate Knight's armor so I can do the companion quests... not sure what's going to happen when they want me to become a furry since I'm already a Vampire Lord.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Troll in the Playground

You get the powers of both.

Seriously, something in the code for Vampire Lord is bugged so that if you are a vampire when you become one, the game doesn't treat you as a vampire.

Similarly, if you become a werewolf after becoming a vampire lord, you lose your Vampire status, but retain your Vampire Lord Form