New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 1732333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    Currently trying to put an emphasis on Archery with my present character, and I'm discovering just how much fun the sniper perks are. Time slows down, and it's carefully aimed arrows to the face for everyone.

...I may also have been shooting Lydia in the back embarrassingly often. This is the problem with a melee-focused follower in dungeons, there's never enough room to shoot past them.
    There's a reason why "Shooting into melee" is a concept in DnD on other RPG games.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Troll in the Playground

I honestly don't bother with followers if I'm a devoted archer. They're too... squishy, to be honest.

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Even the guilds in Oblivion had those sorts of restrictions. If you were a thief, you were expected to be sneaky. If you were a fighter, it was assumed you could handle a sword. If you were an assassin, they wanted you to do it without being noticed. And mages were supposed to do magic. I love Skyrim, but I seriously miss the Oblivion missions.

If you're looking for thicker forests, head down into Falkreath, and there's a high chance of one spawning near the watch tower a little north and east of it. It's my least favorite place to fight a dragon because between the trees, and the rock crests, it's extremely hard to maneuver and get into position to either hit it, or avoid getting hit.

I have to say that the easiest play I've had of the Companions was with my Nord Paladin. (Sword and board, heavy armor, no stealing, or other crime.) She was powerful enough to blitz her way through her foes, but merciful enough to let those that ran go free. I spent a lot of time at Warmaiden's Forge, but when it was time to forge the armors she used for herself, she'd make the journey up to the Skyforge and craft her armors there. And because it fit the character, I used the Divine Aegis Mod, which looks awesome, and had tremendous amounts of fun.

Of course it was back before the advent of mounted combat.
    Last edited by Triaxx; 2012-09-13 at 06:14 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Even the guilds in Oblivion had those sorts of restrictions. If you were a thief, you were expected to be sneaky. If you were a fighter, it was assumed you could handle a sword. If you were an assassin, they wanted you to do it without being noticed. And mages were supposed to do magic. I love Skyrim, but I seriously miss the Oblivion missions.
    What? No they didn't you could easily be Smacky McHitstuff the fighter and be the head of all guilds without ever casting a single spell or entering sneak mode once.

Now Morrowind on the other hand had proper restrictions.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Titan in the Playground

Not if you wanted all the good stuff.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Ogre in the Playground

Not if you wanted all the good stuff.
    And how did the Mages Guild require magic for that?

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    What? No they didn't you could easily be Smacky McHitstuff the fighter and be the head of all guilds without ever casting a single spell or entering sneak mode once.

Now Morrowind on the other hand had proper restrictions.
    Mages Guild, yes. Thieves' Guild? Nope. If you didn't steal stuff and fence it, you couldn't get the quests unlocked. If you failed to sneak past NPCs and monsters during the quests, you got swarmed with guards and undead. You could not become the Grey Fox until you actually proved you were a competent thief, unless you were so game-breakingly powerful that you could casually fight off the full force of the Imperial City Guards. At which point, well, it hardly mattered anyway, did it?

Morrowind did it better than Oblivion, especially with the Mages' Guild, but Oblivion's Thieves' Guild was far better than Skyrim's.
    ...but of course that's just my opinion.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tergon View Post
    Mages Guild, yes. Thieves' Guild? Nope. If you didn't steal stuff and fence it, you couldn't get the quests unlocked. If you failed to sneak past NPCs and monsters during the quests, you got swarmed with guards and undead. You could not become the Grey Fox until you actually proved you were a competent thief, unless you were so game-breakingly powerful that you could casually fight off the full force of the Imperial City Guards. At which point, well, it hardly mattered anyway, did it?

Morrowind did it better than Oblivion, especially with the Mages' Guild, but Oblivion's Thieves' Guild was far better than Skyrim's.
    I should note that, however, playing anything other than a mage was intentionally nerfing yourself. Oblivion Wizards are a bit like the DnD kind.

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    I should note that, however, playing anything other than a mage was intentionally nerfing yourself. Oblivion Wizards are a bit like the DnD kind.
    Try Morrowind with the attribute boost bug. Its Wizard, DMM Cleric, Druid, and every other class combined.

Kinda sad when you have every spell in ONE spell...
    Chrono Crusade avi by Ceika.

Remember: Cough, Rough, Through, Though don't rhyme, but for some forsaken reason Pony and Bolonga do...
    They say history repeats itself, so does our constant use of emojis mean we're reverting back to Egyptian hieroglyphs?
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Steam Profile

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Orc in the Playground

Oh, I don't know. Getting some Daedric Plate that resists a little magic, combined with a Mundane Ring, made you pretty much indestructible. I had a lot of fun as an Orc or an Imperial with a dirty big sword just hacking everything in half and laughing as the most powerful attacks shaved off a bare sliver of red from my health bar.

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Tergon View Post
    Oh, I don't know. Getting some Daedric Plate that resists a little magic, combined with a Mundane Ring, made you pretty much indestructible. I had a lot of fun as an Orc or an Imperial with a dirty big sword just hacking everything in half and laughing as the most powerful attacks shaved off a bare sliver of red from my health bar.
    Heh. My first character (who was a Breton "Cleric" I should note) became so absurdly overpowered after I found a Mundane Ring, the Escutcheon of Chorrol, and a Ring of Axes.

100% Damage Reflection and Magic Resistance? Yes please!

Of course, the game stopped being hard much earlier when I figured out that I could cast a custom Drain Life 100/Soul Trap 1 spell as an Apprentice-level spell.

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Troll in the Playground

I love skyrim's crafting system for that. "What, you wanted to hurt me with MAGIC? Lolnope. Eat my double resist magic & elements armor."

The fun part is that Elemental resists stack with Magic Resist and apply to much the same effects.

Ever want to take less than 3% of the magical damage being launched at you? NOW YOU CAN!

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Orc in the Playground

Heh. My first character (who was a Breton "Cleric" I should note) became so absurdly overpowered after I found a Mundane Ring, the Escutcheon of Chorrol, and a Ring of Axes.

100% Damage Reflection and Magic Resistance? Yes please!

Of course, the game stopped being hard much earlier when I figured out that I could cast a custom Drain Life 100/Soul Trap 1 spell as an Apprentice-level spell.
    The only reason I didn't do that right away was because the very first thing I did was collect Sigil Stones to build a Chameleon Suit. Love dat broken enchanting system. :P

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Firbolg in the Playground

I've finally been able to craft some properly magical resistant armour (only a ring and a necklace so far), and it is glorious. I hate fighting mages, but being able to just march forwards straight into the half dozen fireball spells is a wonderful feeling.

Will probably stick ice resist on the armour later, if only because that's my least favourite type of magic. It's the slowing effect that gets me more than anything, since you have to just lumber slowly forwards with weapon raised...

Also, Ice Spike is hilarious, because the graphic is persistent like arrows. There's something very amusing about watching a follower wade forwards with three massive spikes of crystal through their arteries like it's nothing. Maybe it's like reverse cauterisation or something.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Barbarian in the Playground

Morrowind's restriction system for the guilds was the best. If you didn't level up or train up the skills, then you couldn't proceed past a certain point in the questline.

I really miss being able to train up without limit. Only being able to train 5 times per level is frustrating sometimes. If I have the money, why can't I just train as much as I want?
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Orc in the Playground

I just watched Highlander and am now building a Connor McCloud character. Nord, two-handed swordery, restoration magic (closest I can come to a Highlander's immortal healing), and... I'm not sure what else. Maybe I could get away with Alteration as well to justify minor telekinesis and, more importantly, damage resistance. Any suggestions as to what would be thematically appropriate?

17. - Top - End - #1247

Hmm. Trying to work through the Blood on the Ice mission, and it's not working properly. I can get all the way through to the point where you patrol the streets looking for the murderer, and said murderer just sort of stands there in the middle of the market, as though waiting for something.

Having checked the wiki, it appears his intended victim does not have the essential tag before this point. I think I remember her getting eaten by a dragon earlier. So... Really not sure what to do. Can't use commands to bring her back, since it's the PS3 version of Skyrim, and I'm reasonably sure just hacking this guy down in the street won't end well since I have no evidence. Bugger.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Titan in the Playground

Cut him down. It'll go just fine.

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Titan in the Playground

Recently I've felt like playing Morrowind again - modded to hell and back of course. However, as much as I like there being actual skill requirements for guilds, I can't help but feel that the guilds have too few associated skills each. Medium Armor is only in-demand for the House Redoran, for instance. If I wanted to make a medium armor wearing, two handed weapon wielding warrior, for instance, I'd actually have trouble advancing in Fighers' Guild.
    Oh well. There's probably a mod for that.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-09-15 at 04:17 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

20. - Top - End - #1250

Cut him down. It'll go just fine.
    Oddly enough, this solved the problem. I attacked him, found he was marked essential, got arrested, paid my fee... And found the victim wandering off to the relevant location a few minutes later. Was therefore able to stop the murderer and complete the quest. Even got the decapitation animation when I intervened.

Granted, the heroic image was somewhat tarnished by the fact that I basically looked like the Witch King of Angmar hacking down a civilian, but it still counts...

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Recently I've felt like playing Morrowind again - modded to hell and back of course. However, as much as I like there being actual skill requirements for guilds, I can't help but feel that the guilds have too few associated skills each. Medium Armor is only in-demand for the House Redoran, for instance. If I wanted to make a medium armor wearing, two handed weapon wielding warrior, for instance, I'd actually have trouble advancing in Fighers' Guild.
    Oh well. There's probably a mod for that.
    There is also the construction set. It's actually really easy to change which skills work for which guild.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Troll in the Playground

How difficult is modding Skyrim?

Specifically, I'd like to mod in 'Opposition Factions' for each of the Questlines.

So, for Thieves' Guild, you'd get maybe detectives or similar. Maybe someone is sponsoring a group to root out corruption in Riften. Riften City Watch or something.

For the Companions, those Werewolf hunter guys, the Silver Hand. Play as the guys hunting the Companions. Kick them out of Whiterun, take the forge for your own.

For the Mages. Hmm. I'm not sure. Maybe a rival group of Mages, or a mundane group that doesn't want another catastrophe at Winterhold. Possibly the Synod?

For the Dark Brotherhood, expanding the Quest to Destroy the Dark Brotherhood. As it stands, it's terrible. You have to murder an old lady to stop them. You can't just take the kid to the Watch. Faction name: Penitus Oculatus. Keeping them from being loyal to the Empire would be difficult though; would need a decent reason for true Stormcloaks to join.

For the Daedric Quests: Vigil of Stendarr, stamping out Daedra worship!

Joining the Thalmor, or opposing them would be badass, but I think further expansions may cover this.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-09-16 at 06:38 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Titan in the Playground

I can honestly say, that I don't know. A lot of that is in the quest scripting and I haven't gotten to that yet.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Titan in the Playground

Well. The obvious thing is, I think, that factions would require new NPCs, who would have to be voiced. This would be problematic.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post

Specifically, I'd like to mod in 'Opposition Factions' for each of the Questlines.
    Building a house isn't that hard. Getting a whole faction is a quite complicated and time-consuming task.

So, for Thieves' Guild, you'd get maybe detectives or similar. Maybe someone is sponsoring a group to root out corruption in Riften. Riften City Watch or something.
    I'd make them a group from outside Riften - Maven holds the whole city in her grip, and since the Guild works with her, she won't allow others to touch them.

For the Daedric Quests: Vigil of Stendarr, stamping out Daedra worship!
    Dawnguard spoiler
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Hall of the Vigilant gets destroyed (and the leader of the Vigil is slaughtered during the process) soon after you start the Dawnguard questline

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Well. The obvious thing is, I think, that factions would require new NPCs, who would have to be voiced. This would be problematic.
    This is what I dislike about mods in Oblivion and Skyrim - making them fit the game is far harder (due to the VA) then in Morrowind.
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2012-09-16 at 02:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Orc in the Playground

The Adventures of Connor McCloud go well! Turns out that two-handed weaponry without any armour is... well, it's about as difficult as it sounds, which is to say pretty difficult. I die pretty hard if I'm not careful! Mind you, that's refreshing, to walk up to a bear and have it actually be scary again, or to be swarmed by a trio of bandits and have them stand a chance of outnumbering me. Archers and mages remain the scariest, of course.

Thus far, I reasoned that since the Highlander was originally a soldier, I should be one too. Hence I've joined the Stormcloaks and have purchased my house in Winterhold to begin assembling my armoury. I've also taken down the first dragon at Whiterun and visited the Greybeards to start learning a few Shouts - highlanders are meant to have funky powers, after all. As it stands, Connor has become quite adept at two-handed weaponry, and has a bunch of points tossed into Restoration in order to facilitate his immortality. Other than that, he's got Steel smithing, one point in Alteration, one point in Alchemy and one in Block - spreading the abilities far thinner than I usually would with a character, but with no armour he needs survivability!

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    My main character is "earning" his way through all the questlines.
    I think I'm going to try that on my second play-through. It certainly would help me in getting past level 50. And prevent me from being able to kill everything in one hit.

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I honestly don't bother with followers if I'm a devoted archer. They're too... squishy, to be honest.
    I use the Slow Time shout to mitigate that, or I aim for the enemy's archer.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Depends on what you're doing and how cooperative the Creation Kit wants to be. I'm currently designing a small farm mod and for some reason any follower I take will--
    1. Run over to the front door of the cabin
    2. Go through the door, thus disappearing to another cell
    3. Pop back into the outside cell after 3 seconds
    4. Repeat loop

I think I know what the problem is, but it's pretty hilarious to watch.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Barbarian in the Playground

Faction advancement in Morrowind isn't as hard as you're making it sound. Each group has a long list of favored skills. You just need one at a highest level and then two others at medium level to advance. Example:

To get the Protctor rank you need one skill at 40 and 2 others at 10 (plus Strength at 30 and Endurance at 30): axe, long blade, blunt weapon, heavy armor, armorer, block.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Faction advancement in Morrowind isn't as hard as you're making it sound. Each group has a long list of favored skills. You just need one at a highest level and then two others at medium level to advance. Example:

To get the Protctor rank you need one skill at 40 and 2 others at 10 (plus Strength at 30 and Endurance at 30): axe, long blade, blunt weapon, heavy armor, armorer, block.
    It's not that it's supposed to be hard it's about the fact that the guild master should at least be proficient in the tools of the trade. Ya see in Morrowind the Archmage of the Mages guild can actually cast top tier spells while in Skyrim and Oblivion I've had archmages that didn't know a single spell beyond the one you start with and had never used those.

My lets plays:
    Singularity - Canceled

30. - Top - End - #1260

I might be wrong, but I believe in Skyrim, the Mage's quest line requires you to cast precisely three spells. A Lesser Ward in your first lesson, a fire spell or something to knock down a wall in Sarthal, and either ice or fire to realign a Dwemer machine when looking for the Staff of Magnus. Those are all the absolute weakest spells you can cast, but they're enough to make it to Archmage level.