Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Thats just wrong man.
    Hey, vampires gonna vampire.
    "Nothing can stop The Smooze."

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Titan in the Playground

Scenic Carriages is my preference for getting to Ivarstead actually, just using the vanilla option instead of the actual scenic variant.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Why actually use the wagon? You can fast travel to any place you've been, so why not just fast travel to the stables?
    Aside from the nice scenic ride, you can use the wagons to travel to a location you haven't been to before, making them rather useful in the early game.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

So my computer (which I described here) is not-so-slowly dying, forcing me to finally get serious about looking for a new computer. By strange coincidence, a relative recently got a computer -- a Dell Inspiron One 2320 Desktop IO2320-3322BK -- but found it was not quite what she was looking for, so she's giving it to me.

Will it be able to run Skyrim? I'm not entirely sure (my gut says "no"), so I figured I'd ask the folks here who are far more experienced with such things than I am.
    Last edited by Hand of Vecna; 2012-10-14 at 10:45 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Bugbear in the Playground

I literally couldn't find the "correct" way to High Hrothgar my first run. I found plenty of NPCs telling me, "yup, you're in the right area, chap," but I couldn't find the path.
    So, I jump-stepped up the opposite side of the mountain and ended up two minutes away from the door. Fast-traveled off; that character never even knew there was a troll.

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hand of Vecna View Post
    So my computer (which I described here) is not-so-slowly dying, forcing me to finally get serious about looking for a new computer. By strange coincidence, a relative recently got a computer -- a Dell Inspiron One 2320 Desktop IO2320-3322BK -- but found it was not quite what she was looking for, so she's giving it to me.

Will it be able to run Skyrim? I'm not entirely sure (my gut says "no"), so I figured I'd ask the folks here who are far more experienced with such things than I am.
    I'm not entirely sure. That's a weird abomination of a computer. The page you linked doesn't say anything about a graphics card. I found one review that mentiones a quite good one, but it had a price tag that was about three times as high, so there is probably quite different hardware in it. Aren't Dells usually customized? The CPU and memory looks very solid, but the graphics card is what will probably make or break it. Do you have the specific hardware for that thing in question?

The reason it doesn't work on the old computer should be the graphics card, that one you listed is just flimsy.
    Last edited by Yora; 2012-10-15 at 03:04 AM.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Titan in the Playground

The most exciting mod news since the CK: TESVEdit has arrived.

It's currently in experimental stages, but it's here.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/141...#entry21646339

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    Fast-traveled off; that character never even knew there was a troll.

I think what's really funny is that I have my character up to level 50 and never bothered getting up to the top of that mountain yet. Literally I think the main quest is the only one I haven't done yet...
    ...well, and the brotherhood.

But I think this is a case of getting so wrapped up with other quests and guilds that I totally forgot about the main quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Hey, vampires gonna vampire.
    Remind me never to go to your open house event.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I'm not entirely sure. That's a weird abomination of a computer. The page you linked doesn't say anything about a graphics card. I found one review that mentiones a quite good one, but it had a price tag that was about three times as high, so there is probably quite different hardware in it. Aren't Dells usually customized? The CPU and memory looks very solid, but the graphics card is what will probably make or break it. Do you have the specific hardware for that thing in question?

The reason it doesn't work on the old computer should be the graphics card, that one you listed is just flimsy.
    Yeah, I'm having a weird time finding any info on its video card/capabilities. One review I saw on YouTube said it had a nice nvidia card... but the one they reviewed had twice the RAM and four times the hard drive space, so it's got to be a different model. I'll probably have to wait until I get the thing in-hand and see for myself, but that won't be until this weekend.

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yeah, I'm having a weird time finding any info on its video card/capabilities. One review I saw on YouTube said it had a nice nvidia card... but the one they reviewed had twice the RAM and four times the hard drive space, so it's got to be a different model. I'll probably have to wait until I get the thing in-hand and see for myself, but that won't be until this weekend.
    That's because it doesn't HAVE video capabilities. It's on-board video, which means any advanced GPU functions will be diverted to the CPU. I would be highly reluctant to recommend this system to anyone wishing to play games. It may be perfectly adequate to browse and run a word processor, but it simply lacks the resources to run anything like a modern video game.

This system costs $500 including the display. That's a dead giveaway that it's junk.

Here is the starting point for anyone wishing to build a gaming system on a budget. Note that this build does not include a display. A remotely decent 24" flat screen will cost you $500 by itself. However, a good one treated well will last for 10-15 years, where the computer itself will be obsolete in roughly 4-5 years.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Is there any news as to what the next Skyrim expansion is and when it might be out?

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ogre in the Playground

Funny you should ask - there were some interesting findings in the files of the new beta patch...

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Barbarian in the Playground

BWAH!!!!ZA!!!!HOOBLA!!!!

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Blackdrop; 2012-10-15 at 06:04 PM.
    Add me on Steam!
    Steam ID: tfblackdrop

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_Shadowblade View Post
    BWAH!!!!ZA!!!!HOOBLA!!!!

Spoiler
    Show

I thought you were exaggerating. You weren't exaggerating.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

15. - Top - End - #1365

Quote Originally Posted by karpik777 View Post
    Funny you should ask - there were some interesting findings in the files of the new beta patch...
    Interesting yes.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Titan in the Playground

Here's hoping we also get the ability to shout while mounted.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Here's hoping we also get the ability to shout while mounted.
    According to the files uncovered, we will get that - as well as casting, blocking and all other stuff that was missing from mounted combat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not to mention dragon mounts, spears and a few other things.

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

I'm in Geirmund's Hall, that dungeon on the tiny island next to Ivarstead where you have to drop down into a hole first and later
    Spoiler
    Show
    fight that draugr that teleports and creates illusions of himself.

In the corridor leading to the two draw bridges, there is a very clear digging sound comming from one of the walls, but I can't find any info about it. Is that something or just a sound effect that is not connected to anything?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

19. - Top - End - #1369

Man, I think the only way Dragonborn will be able to disappoint me is if there is no way to take the stick shoved up Delphine's bum and either verbally or physically beat her with it.

Probably irrelevant, but if anyone cares what Dawnguard's timetable was:

03/30- Patch 1.5.26 released, containing the initial set of files for Dawnguard
    05/01- Dawnguard announcement
    05/31- Dawnguard trailer
    06/26- Dawnguard 360 release

So, if they keep the exact same schedule, the announcement will be 11/15, trailer will be 12/15 and release will be 01/10. Though more likely it'll be that the announcement will be on 11/11 for the 1 year anniversary, the trailer will be 11/23-ish (Black Friday) and release will be the sometime between 12/16-22.

Though a thought: Given the fact that Solstheim is the likely place for the next DLC, I can't help but wonder if the announcement will be on 10/31 (Bloodmoon's ninth anniversary on the Xbox), with the trailer coming out for the 1 year anniversary. Hmmm....
    Last edited by Blackdrop; 2012-10-18 at 02:03 AM.
    Add me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #1370

I'm in Geirmund's Hall, that dungeon on the tiny island next to Ivarstead where you have to drop down into a hole first and later
    Spoiler
    Show
    fight that draugr that teleports and creates illusions of himself.

In the corridor leading to the two draw bridges, there is a very clear digging sound comming from one of the walls, but I can't find any info about it. Is that something or just a sound effect that is not connected to anything?
    I opened that level in the Creation Kit and I could not find anything physically there in that corridor. What I did see was an ambiant sound effect placed in the area, so my guess is it's just a sound played to... confuse us or something.
    Digo Dragon - Artist

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Titan in the Playground

I am really impressed that whoever did the voice acting for that one Greybeard almost correctly pronounced the name of Jürgen Windcaller, even though the game spells it Jurgen.
    That the germanic J is pronounced Y is easy enough to explain, but they must have had a native German or Swedish speaker to coach all the voice actors who had Nord names in their texts.

But what is it with that Skyrim accent? Some Nords seem to have a very strong and consistent accent, but about half of them don't have it at all. Is that just a screw-up, or are they two different groups in-game that I just havn't figured out yet?

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

But what is it with that Skyrim accent? Some Nords seem to have a very strong and consistent accent, but about half of them don't have it at all. Is that just a screw-up, or are they two different groups in-game that I just havn't figured out yet?
    It probably depends on where the Nord in question was raised. Closer to Cyrodiil, it'd make sense that an "imperial" accent would seep through, while farther north the accent would get stronger. That's what makes sense to this non-linguistics major.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Titan in the Playground

I thought of something like that as well. But in Riverwood you have the Sawmill-Owner and her Stormcloak brother who both have the accent and when you talk with her she says the family has been in the village for generations. But Riverwood is right at the border.

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Troll in the Playground

It's at the border into Falkreath. From riverwood to the actual border is a good bit further.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Titan in the Playground

Seems to be an east-west influence to me. Balgruuf has a more imperial pronunciation, while his brother sounds like he should be out viking.

Plus Solitude seems to be the imperial capital in Skyrim, which is why most of the Nords there sound like Milk-drinkers.

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Ogre in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am really impressed that whoever did the voice acting for that one Greybeard almost correctly pronounced the name of Jürgen Windcaller, even though the game spells it Jurgen.
    That the germanic J is pronounced Y is easy enough to explain, but they must have had a native German or Swedish speaker to coach all the voice actors who had Nord names in their texts.

Whoever did the voice acting was Christopher Plummer. His earliest big role was as the father from the Sound of Music, which is probably where he first got his voice coaching in a nordic accent (Austrian, actually).

What's with the Skyrim accent is that they didn't actually get many Europeans at all to do the voice acting. They got Vladimir Kulich and Max von Sydow, but the rest of the voice acting crew are Americans, hence the really indifferent accent delivery. Honest, I felt they could have just gotten a pack of first year drama students from Copenhagen and done better voice work for the Nords.
    Last edited by The_Jackal; 2012-10-22 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Spelling is gud.

27. - Top - End - #1377

Dragonborn Trailer is up! Here ya go!

Edit:
    Netch at 0:26
    Probable Bonemold armor at :50
    Possibly an Ascended Sleeper at 1:01
    Ash Zombies at 1:03
    Stalhrim Armor at 1:05
    Goblins/Rieklings at 1:06

All I noticed so far.

Edit2: We're looking at a Dec 4th release date.
    Last edited by Blackdrop; 2012-11-05 at 11:09 AM.
    Add me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_Shadowblade View Post
    Edit2: We're looking at a Dec 4th release date.
    Only for the xbox it seems...

29. - Top - End - #1379

Can anyone post the details of this new DLC? What is it adding, or do we even know yet?
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

30. - Top - End - #1380

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Can anyone post the details of this new DLC? What is it adding, or do we even know yet?
    This thread has what you are looking for.
    Add me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show