New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

I'm having trouble with some of my mods. Some work fine, others don't want to work at all. Anyone willing to help me? Or does anyone have some advice? Sorry, I'm late to the Skyrim party. And I'm devouring what I've been missing.
    Last edited by alchemyprime; 2012-11-06 at 04:44 PM.
    Alchemyprime's Omniblog
    Want some Pathfinder 1e homebrewed? Hit me up!
    Ted Kord Avatar by KPenguin!
    My Gaming Channel!
    My Carrd

Stuff about me
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctemwolf View Post
    Thank you very much. you know, I think I like you, Prime. =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    You, sir, have created the best Pokerman possible. Here is your medal. Everyone else can just give up.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

There were some changes around version 1.6 of Skyrim, which meant a lot of scripts needed to be reworked. A lot of the early mods were abandoned between release and 1.6. Check to see if those that don't were upgraded.

3. - Top - End - #1383

Quote Originally Posted by CreganTur View Post
    Can anyone post the details of this new DLC? What is it adding, or do we even know yet?
    Solstheim (last seen in Morrowind), dragon riding, and spears.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Halfling in the Playground

So I bought Skyrim from a friend (FINALLY) who was willing to part with it.

Right after killing the first dragon, on my way to High Hrothgar, Lydia and I run into a pair of giants in a camp (Goldur (?) Rock or something like that). I've heard from lots of people that "allies can't die except for friendly fire", so I hid in a rock outcropping and started shooting with arrows while she drew the Axe of Whiterun which I gave her and started attacking.

At some point during the battle she got smashed and flew up into the sky, which I've heard happens often with giants in the game. I ended up dying and reloading from an autosave from BEFORE the battle and stayed used the same method (didn't run out of arrows this time :D). However, I was carrying too much and wanted to give Lydia some of my stuff to lighten my load, but I can't find her.

She's not dead (I can't find her body at the battle scene, and she's not in the Hall of the Dead in Whiterun).

She's not waiting anywhere as far as I can tell (I haven't bought a house yet, and she's not Dragonsreach where you meet her).

Any ideas?

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingGnoll View Post
    So I bought Skyrim from a friend (FINALLY) who was willing to part with it.

Right after killing the first dragon, on my way to High Hrothgar, Lydia and I run into a pair of giants in a camp (Goldur (?) Rock or something like that). I've heard from lots of people that "allies can't die except for friendly fire", so I hid in a rock outcropping and started shooting with arrows while she drew the Axe of Whiterun which I gave her and started attacking.

At some point during the battle she got smashed and flew up into the sky, which I've heard happens often with giants in the game. I ended up dying and reloading from an autosave from BEFORE the battle and stayed used the same method (didn't run out of arrows this time :D). However, I was carrying too much and wanted to give Lydia some of my stuff to lighten my load, but I can't find her.

She's not dead (I can't find her body at the battle scene, and she's not in the Hall of the Dead in Whiterun).

She's not waiting anywhere as far as I can tell (I haven't bought a house yet, and she's not Dragonsreach where you meet her).

Any ideas?
    Fast travel and she should turn up next to you.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, followers, Lydia in particular, are notorious for this. Fast travel or waiting an hour usually fixes it. Of course they're sometimes gone for good.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Of course they're sometimes gone for good.
    It seems like everytime I start a game and pick up the stray dog, he just vanishes without dying at some point. Which sucks, because I really like him.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Seharvepernfan View Post
    It seems like everytime I start a game and pick up the stray dog, he just vanishes without dying at some point. Which sucks, because I really like him.
    I just took him to my house and told him to stay there.

But then again I was such a high level that he would have just been detonated by whatever enemy I faced next.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yeah, followers, Lydia in particular, are notorious for this. Fast travel or waiting an hour usually fixes it. Of course they're sometimes gone for good.
    Hilarious when it happens in a dungeon and waiting causes Lydia to show up on the other side of a locked gate where no other entrances were possible.
    "How did you get in there?!"
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Troll in the Playground

I dont like followers very much, but since i got an ebony battleaxe that i didnt want to throw away, i just took Benor and gave it to him.

That man is a badass.
    Despite everything, its still me.

11. - Top - End - #1391

Serana is the only follower I truly like.

I tried taking Lydia around with my mage, but the suicidal woman would continually interpose herself in my battles with other mages... or any other target that I wished to destroy with my arcane prowess.

I think it was an errant lightning bolt that finally finished her off.
    WAMP (Wargame and Miniature Painters)- Helping Miniature Painters Improve

Awesome Avatar by Qwernt.

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Titan in the Playground

If you really want, you can occasionally exploit that with the follower command ability to get them to open the gate for you. :D

I find some of the caves and rope arrows from the Sneak Tools mod work well for similar things because the wrap-around is just high, and I can then climb up.

13. - Top - End - #1393
    Titan in the Playground

My Nord skirmisher type brought Aela the Huntress along fairly often. He mostly fought in melee, so she provided good ranged support. She's pretty deadly if given a good bow.
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-11-08 at 06:46 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Titan in the Playground

My most successful companion characters have been heavy armor users. My light armor skirmishers tend to need room to move that most companions don't provide, while my squishy wizards tend to be about hampering enemy movement, and it tends to hamper allied movement as well.

But in Heavy Armor, I can walk up and lock down the hardest hitting enemy and keep them trying to kill me while my companions defeat the assistants then, come and kill the guy who's still trying to terminate me.

15. - Top - End - #1395

Actually, I used the console commands to go to her. Turned out she was stuck up to her torso in a mountain, so she couldn't walk around at all. Yet somehow when I sheathed and then unsheathed my weapon again from button mashing she just popped right out and the problem was solved.

Right now I'm playing a heavy armor beserker (so far I have mostly Fine Steel armor with Dwarven gauntlets and armor) and Lydia's happy to use a spare Elven bow I found at some point most of the time. I say most of the time because sometimes she'll put the bow away and try to punch the opponent, which has never gone in her favor so far.

16. - Top - End - #1396

did anyone else encounter a bug where every enemy archer shoots one arrow (the one in his inventory) and then switchs to his melee weapon because he's out of ammo? don't enemies usually duplicate arrows?

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingGnoll View Post
    Lydia's happy to use a spare Elven bow I found at some point most of the time. I say most of the time because sometimes she'll put the bow away and try to punch the opponent, which has never gone in her favor so far.
    Sounds like a real woman. You should take her to bed.

18. - Top - End - #1398

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    Sounds like a real woman. You should take her to bed.
    I have. She just gets right back up after 5 seconds. :P

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Troll in the Playground

Ouch. Guess you just don't entertain her.

20. - Top - End - #1400

So lately, I've noticed that whenever I press f5 to quicksave, my game crashes to desktop instantly. It does quicksave beforehand though, so it's not all bad. Anyone got any tips for solving this?

EDIT: it's stopped mysteriously. Ah well.
    Last edited by Dvil; 2012-11-10 at 02:27 PM.
    Add me on Steam!

Amazing albatross avatar by the lovely and very talented Ceika

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DemonicAngel View Post
    did anyone else encounter a bug where every enemy archer shoots one arrow (the one in his inventory) and then switchs to his melee weapon because he's out of ammo? don't enemies usually duplicate arrows?
    I never had that bug happen to me. All the archers tend to have about 20 or so arrows flying my way before they run out.

I was testing a follower voice pack for my mod and decided to take my follower to a giant camp to check her combat responses. I rode right into the middle of a giant camp on horseback, hopped off the horse, and drew my weapon to incite the giants.

Then a fox ran by and the two giants went aggro and chased the fox. Followed immediately by their two mammoths...

...and the giant's treasure chest only had a single potion of Magika.
    (I'm level 50)

(I seriously need to install FRAPS or something for moments like this)
    Last edited by DigoDragon; 2012-11-12 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Context
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

22. - Top - End - #1402
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dvil View Post
    So lately, I've noticed that whenever I press f5 to quicksave, my game crashes to desktop instantly. It does quicksave beforehand though, so it's not all bad. Anyone got any tips for solving this?

EDIT: it's stopped mysteriously. Ah well.
    I've been having odd things like that as well. My quirks have been mostly related to Dawnguard and particularly the Soul Cairn. Crashed with every quick save (fortunately only after the quick save was made, though) and Serana just losing interest whenever she had a vital role to play in events (like opening the Cairn or talking Valerica into helping), forcing me to cheat to both start and complete the segment.

As for followers, I like using them for plot reasons (the Dragonborn should not be a solo act - that's one thing the Blades understand correctly).

My current favorites:
    Spoiler
    Show

General:
    Without Mods:

Lydia: Solid tank, part of the main plot, easy to get early on. The burdens comment is a little annoying, but she's generally a solid ally.

Aela: Stealth plus Archery in perfect combination. One of the easiest followers to use, though not necessarily to get. Pity her armor is heavy while her skill is in light and she never makes use of the form she claims to adore.

Farkas: Farkas is awesome as a character, but horribly bugged as a follower. Being assigned a civilian class cripples him, since his skills are roughly the opposite of his preferred gear. But how can you not like this guy?

Faendal: Don't really care for the guy, but an early and easy 50 in archery makes it easy to pair him with Camilla. So I use him and then leave him with his girlfriend. Besides, it can be useful to have a high level and well-geared archer wandering Riverwood.

Erik the Slayer: Eager, talkative, and quite capable, Erik is one of the few followers I genuinely feel like I'm doing him a favor by bringing him along. Looks rocking in glass armor.

Aranea: Like Erik, you're doing her a favor using her, which is nice. She's also a powerful mage, which is also nice. You have to sacrifice the Black Star to get her, which is less nice, but the Black Star is over-rated in my book anyway - when you want grands, just go mammoth hunting...

Belrand: He seems a lot less effective if you don't know how to play him, because his initial equipment is quite contrary to his actual skillset. He has a unique and powerful spellsword class that uses light armor, yet he starts in heavy, giving players the wrong impression. While he is effective, however, he's not an interesting personality - just a spellsword sellsword.

Serana: What can I say? The girl is great. The best-written follower in the game, with a good voice, a lot to say, and a tendency to do things rather than just stand there looking pretty while you work. Doesn't use her necromancy efficiently, but never a detriment to the team (as long as she pays attention to the script). Rather frustrating in that she's neither an option for marriage or stewardship - you can build up such a rapport with her and it ends up wasted.

Modded:
    Illia: Illia is a very interesting character and a frost-magic powerhouse. With her bugs squashed and an improved face, Illia is another one of those guilt-free allies who aren't giving up anything to follow you. Pity frost is probably the least useful element, given the amount of nords, undead, trolls, and frost dragons you face.

Ingun Black-Briar: Ingun is an interesting character with a nice voice, face, and backstory. Making her into a spellsword follower just caps it off. Makes a great partner to a darker character (she's a poison-obsessed would-be assassin, after all). Having a direct tie to the Black-Briars is an interesting plot thread to envision as well (having Maven as an in-law).

Brand New:
    Cerwiden: Accurately advertised as a "smart" companion, makes better use of her magic than even most players. Her cure disease spell makes her absolutely wonderful for Dawnguard players who don't want to be a werewolf or vampire, and she's quite useful in general. Unfortunately I had several game-breaking bugs in the run I used her in (crashed everytime I entered my house, for instance), and I really don't like the fact that she shoe-horns lore from another setting into Skyrim.

Vilja: She was the queen of Oblivion and she reclaimed her title quickly here. Possibly the most talkative follower I've ever seen (dwarfing even Mjoll, Serana, and Erik), her comments are often oddly insightful and frequently hilarious. Comments a lot on quest lines from the main game, which can be useful for deciding which of your many, many quests to tackle next. A lot of interesting functionality to this girl and a flat out weird quest-line for her, using a number of new NPCs with full (if not fantastic) voice acting. She's not all that powerful (at first, she does get better over time), so you still can feel like the main character. Unfortunately her accent may not be for everyone and even her astounding plethora of commentary can get old. Also tends to nag you about certain quests, even as you're pursuing them, despite intentionally trying to make her quests low-key.

The one thing I don't really like about the game at this time is how few interesting male followers there are. Really, Erik's the only one I can think of that is interesting *and* effective.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Ingun Black-Briar: Ingun is an interesting character with a nice voice, face, and backstory. Making her into a spellsword follower just caps it off. Makes a great partner to a darker character (she's a poison-obsessed would-be assassin, after all). Having a direct tie to the Black-Briars is an interesting plot thread to envision as well (having Maven as an in-law).
    Mod link.

Now.

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Mod link.

Now.
    It'll have to wait until after I get home from work. It's on Skyrim Nexus - there are two, as I recall. I've used the older one (the one that makes her a vampire), because it works the smoothest. Getting her the 20 nirnroot, nightshade, and deathbell is tedious, though, so I tended to just cheat for them.

The mod doesn't change anything plot-wise, of course. Complete her quest and she becomes recruitable and marriable. She doesn't comment on Frost and most Maven does is attend the wedding, but becoming part of what is probably the single most powerful family in Skyrim provides some ammunition for the ol' headcanon.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2012-11-12 at 01:46 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Troll in the Playground

The annoying one is Nirnroot, IMO, since Nightshade and Deathbell are rather plentiful (and can actually be bought from alchemists)

26. - Top - End - #1406
    Ettin in the Playground

The annoying one is Nirnroot, IMO, since Nightshade and Deathbell are rather plentiful (and can actually be bought from alchemists)
    Nirnroot can be bought from alchemists.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

27. - Top - End - #1407

Mod link.

Now.
    http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/2710

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Titan in the Playground

What was the last version of Cerwiden you played? The newer versions are more stable, and she's mouthy now, like Vilja. I think her quest is also well done and does a better job of adding to the lore instead of just shoe-horning it in now.

Also, check out Atvir Dres, Valfar and Hoth. I've only used Dres, but the other two are also supposed to be excellent.

NinethePuma: If you follow the road north out of Riften, not far from Ivarstead, you'll see a farm marker off to the north. It's the home of a Dark Elf who cultivates Nirnroot. She's got eleven of them for the picking. It makes it much easier to start.

29. - Top - End - #1409
    Troll in the Playground

I got it guys. She's fun, amusingly talkative, and looks good in leather.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

What was the last version of Cerwiden you played? The newer versions are more stable, and she's mouthy now, like Vilja. I think her quest is also well done and does a better job of adding to the lore instead of just shoe-horning it in now.

Also, check out Atvir Dres, Valfar and Hoth. I've only used Dres, but the other two are also supposed to be excellent.
    I'd like to give Hoth a try, but he doesn't have a follow me option in my current run. Dres is still alpha, and my game's unstable enough as it is. Finally, Valfar is Stormcloak. Any character I've ever played would ultimately come to blows with the guy.

As for the others, Cerwiden is nice and all and I've reinstalled her to try out the updates to her, but she still has that "Not from Nirn" element that I don't really like. Space Core is funny, Dorneblas is not.

Of course the real reason why I don't want to bring Ceri back is simple: if I did, my party would be Serana, Vilja, and Cerwiden. That's right: The Rare and Frustrating x3 Friendzone Combo. Skyrim's supposed to be fiction, blast it!
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.