New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 254041424344454647484950
Results 1,471 to 1,481 of 1481
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim V: Skyrim

Preprogrammed locations (three of them), and I'm not sure on quests. I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, I bought Hearthfire today since it was well very very cheap.
    I also started my elf over since I messed around a little too much with mods and didn't want to cause any weird behavior (she was only lvl 7 anyway).

So... I now found much better loot in Bleak Falls Barrow. Patch or Hearthfire?
    (First Alvor gave me a ring of minor archery, and that happens, but then the boss chest in the barrow gave me a CIRCLET of minor archery as well... plus some expensive non-magic jewelry).
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    So... I now found much better loot in Bleak Falls Barrow. Patch or Hearthfire?
    Perhaps pure luck? Definately not Hearthfire (and I don't think the patch messed with the loot system).

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post
    I'm not sure on quests. I don't believe so, but I could be wrong.
    Nope - Hearthfire is basically "build your house(s), furnish it/them, hire some staff and adopt a child". No quests, (almost) no new gear etc.

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Hearthfires is definitely just household stuff. You've got three sites in the holds that didn't have houses to start with (Dawnstar, Morthal, Falkreath), and you build your house on the plots. It's a lot more labor intensive than normal houses, but it's a lot cheaper as well. Outside of the 5000 for the land deed, you have to buy wood, straw, and glass (which is not very expensive), as well as mine your own iron and corrundum. Rather than buying the furnishings for your home in batches, you craft nails, locks, fittings, and hinges out of iron and use them to craft your own furniture.

The freedom is not perfect in any way, shape, or form. The basics of each house is identical. The only difference is one unique outdoors tool, such as a beehive or a fishery. All three have the same furniture, the same choices for wings, and the same... well, everything other than that one piece. The Hearthfires homes, however, are very nice, very big, and quite customizable. They also have very nice amenities, such the ability to amass a shrine to the Nine, with all nine of the little icons so you can grab any blessing you want before heading out. Each one requires an amulet of the aedra, a rare ingot, and some other minor stuff, though, so it's not like you'll have them immediately.

Accessing the sites:
    Dawnstar: Complete a quest for the jarl (level 20 requirement never tried it)
    Morthal: Complete the quest where you investigate the burnt down house.
    Falkreath: Do a fetch quest for the jarl and then wipe out a bandit mine.

I'm partial to Falkreath (Lakeview Manor). Not only is it the only one that's not buried in snow, it's pretty central to the map, close to the primary guardian stones. Best looking site of the three.

The wings are as follows:
    Set 1 (right wing):
    Kitchen: (two story wing) All kinds of food and storage and a HF-only kind of oven. Not really worth much as you've already got a functional kitchen at the back of the house.
    Library: (tower) Lots of book shelves. Handy if you're a book collector, but hardly essential.
    Armory: (one story wing) My personal favorite of the set. Five mannequins, a grindstone and armorer's table, lots of weapon displays, and lots of storage.

Set 2 (left wing):
    Greenhouse: (two story wing) All kinds of planters where you can put plants in and grow them for yourself. No actual windows, of course, so why it's a greenhouse is anyone's guess.
    Enchanter's Tower: (tower) Another tower. You can already get an enchanting table for the main hall, so it isn't essential. Towers look pretty cool, despite not being all that useful.
    Bedrooms: (one story wing) An additional double bed and two children's beds, complete with storage for all involved. The main hall can have a double bed and two children's beds, so this isn't essential, but it's great for players like me how assign the house as a follower's home as well. You can never have too many beds, then.

Set 3 (rear wing):
    Storage: (two story wing) Not sure why this is even an option. You really have little need for more storage in these houses. You're swimming in barrels and sacks and safes and chests already.
    Alchemist's Tower: (tower) Like the enchanter's tower, there's already a spot for an alchemist's table in the main hall, so it's just a pretty cool looking tower that serves little critical purpose.
    Trophy Room: (one story wing) Several stands where you can set up stuffed trophies of kills you have made. Unlike the other trophies you can put up in the houses, you decide what goes on the stands, and it can be anything from a wolf to a cow to a dwemer spider to the skull of a dragon.

Note: One story wings have a terrace on top of them. If two are adjacent (i.e. the rear wing and either the left or right wings), their terraces will be connected. Not a big deal, just kinda cool.

With three sites and three options for each wing, you can have them all in one game (and there's an achievement for that).

Other than the houses themselves, the DLC adds three new housecarls (including a dual scimitar wielding redguard and a sorceror), four new non-orphanage orphans, new foodstuffs and recipes, and clothes and wooden swords for children.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Titan in the Playground

There's actually a mod on the PC, called Unlimited Bookshelves, which both vastly expands the number of books you can have in a shelf, but also allows it to arrange other things, like Amulets or Soul Gems. I guarantee it'll make your library far more functional.

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Firbolg in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

To be honest, I'm one of the only people I know who like the Markarth house a lot better than the other houses. :)

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, something is definitely off with the loot. I just did a few bandit hideouts and I got much better loot than usual.

Also, I figured out what the problem is with followers and bows: Either a patch, or a mod has disabled the "Auto ammo" function. Now I have to make sure they have arrows in their inventory, or they won't equip their bows. It is not UFO, because I uninstalled that one completely before restarting with a new character.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    There's actually a mod on the PC, called Unlimited Bookshelves, which both vastly expands the number of books you can have in a shelf, but also allows it to arrange other things, like Amulets or Soul Gems. I guarantee it'll make your library far more functional.
    Not bad. I actually have that mod, but I like the armory a lot more than the library anyway. Not least because I've got a mod that reskins mannequins into marble ladies. I may be a barbarian from the frozen north, but I can still appreciate culture, dangit! Now all I have to do is find a way to fix the mannequin wandering bug. The old mod fix for that doesn't seem to work on Hearthfires mannequins, artsy statues or no.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

As I read your post, I substitute the word boobies for culture. It becomes more hilarious.

UFO also does that where it requires you to feed your companions arrows.

---

I have fallen in love with another mod. Psijic Teleport. Shadowstep and Dance let you jump behind an opponent, so you don't have to rush the enemy archers, just pop up behind them and axe them to stop.

But that's secondary to becoming NIGHTCRAWLER. If I can see it, I can probably reach it.

But beyond the sequence breaking, (I used it to climb to the Throat of the World from Riverwood), it's the sheer utility and mobility of it. Tired of climbing those spiral stairs all the time? Look at the wall at the top, tap the button and appear at the top. Playing non-dragon born and want treasure that should require Whirlwind Sprint? Blink across, then back. Don't think you can survive a fall? Blink down instead. Miss a jump and about to fall to your doom? Blink to safety even in mid-air. Reach the ledge with the switch to advance by the long, monster filled route? No thank you.

I just can't gush enough about this mod.

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    As I read your post, I substitute the word boobies for culture. It becomes more hilarious.

UFO also does that where it requires you to feed your companions arrows.
    I replaced UFO with AFT. Better, IMHO. Also this is still maintained; the guy behind UFO has not been showing himself on the nexus for ages, and it turns out his mod doesn't work on Hearthfire houscarls.

Awesesome Follower Tweaks is better in that regard, is still regularily updated and also have other fun functions such as posing your followers (for fun), telling them to stay where they are instead of going home when you dump them, handles 32 followers at once (if you want to) and makes it possible to both pick fighting style as well as manually control their leveling up if you do not like the default "builds".

Edit: For a thief build... is Janessa the best companion? I like the crazy murdering artisan (although I tend to get images of her drawing with her victim's blood or arrange their intestines in artistic ways every time she calls her killing "art"). With my orc rogue I actually used Mjoll for most of the game, and that worked in the same way that using say Charon in FA3 works: The enemy spotted HER immediately and failed to see me. This time I want to see if I can avoid having EITHER me or my follower discovered...
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-11-26 at 04:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Troll in the Playground