New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [Halo] Onyx Wind

Volsung starts, jolting out of his reverie at John's words. Seeing the familiar name emblazoned on the building they are fast approaching, he rips his rifle off of his back. Peering through the scope, he cannot see anything with a quick glance, but goes back to searching for any signs of activity after turning to Valen and saying, "That... certainly is. Valen, you're the one that got the most intel, U.N.S.C. say anything about maintaining an outpost on planet?"
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

2. - Top - End - #242

"Either way, it looks like we're going to have to double back."

In the mean time, Argyle brings up his DMR to take a closer look at the building.

Spoiler
    Show

Also, how large is the gap, particularly, is it in jump jet range?

3. - Top - End - #243

Valen's response came through the sound of clenched teeth, "No, not a word"

Looking through your scopes, you scan the concrete structure ahead. You see absolutely no sign of any movement anywhere before you. However, there does appear to be two massive drain pipes that hang over the reservoir and a small steel balcony on the back of the building, with a steel door in the wall on it.

John continues forward, pulling to a stop right at the edge of the deep pit. Looking down, you see rubble and trash choking the drain cover in the center of the otherwise empty reservoir.

Spoiler
    Show

The gap is about 50 foot across... definitely in jump jet range.
    "There's a beast in every man, and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont
    "I fight... so that you don't have to."
    - Templar Thomas Marshall
    "I am not a warrior." "Very soon... you will be."
    - Conversation between Ahmad ibn Fadlan and Herger the Joyous

4. - Top - End - #244

"Primary assessment suggests that this place may have been trashed, as the occupants were believed to be helpful to UNSC. I haven't been able to pick up any active computers so far... Ambushed deemed unlikely but possible..."
    "The jump is manageable, and while I would say the ambush possibility is mostly programmed pessimism, especially given the disorganization of human forces, after our last run in I don't think now is the best time to outright disregard it."

After a couple of more moments, Argyle speaks.
    "This unit may be able to clear the jump without jump jets, with average jump distance being 9 feet short with servo assistance. It is doubted that this station is guarded, however if a method of bridging the gap can be found, lots of time could be saved... And this unit is quiet enough that with covering fire as support it would be willing to attempt the jump.
    "... Tru-."
    "Ok, please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks that statement needs to be stricken from the record."
    "No, he is right, the jump is entirely possible, and the jump pack makes it safe. Combined with the portable cover and fire support, even if spotted it is entirely possible that any aggressive response short of a moderate covenant contingent, which there are no signs of, however a rapid response unit is possible, would be cut down before it could severely injure Onyx-3. And that's what bio-foam is for, and the suit has a canister still."

5. - Top - End - #245

As the truck pulls to a stop at the reservoir, Volsung swings off, landing with a thump at the edge of the hole.
    "Prior to jumping over the giant reservoir thingy, I would suggest checking out the balcony, see what you can find inside. I don't think I'll be able to reach it with the current stuff installed in my suit, but you should be able to with your jump jets. Your call for what to do though, " he says, checking the opposite edge for any sign of movement through the scope of his rifle.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2012-10-07 at 08:54 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

6. - Top - End - #246

There appeared to be no sign of anyone or anything; at least on the building's exterior. Whatever this place was or had been in the past, it did not appear to have been utilized in some time.

Valen nods to Argyle, "Do it."
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-10-09 at 09:22 AM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

7. - Top - End - #247

"Done."

Argyle slowly walks off, going back several meters. He then turns, and runs towards the gap.
    It's the sort of run that no one would like to be on the receiving end of, however this time it is just a buildup.
    Calculations run through the visor and Iaoch manages servos for optimum proficiency.
    And a whiper comes through the comms.
    "Now."
    And as his foot slams down on his own individual tack.

And the jump was perfect, a far reaching leap, hearts hold in throughts as people think that he will make it without hitting the jets, and then, just near the end, he seems to fall short, his hand reaches out.
    Another whisper comes through.
    "Hit it."
    And just as his hand misses the concrete of the other side, his jets bark loudly and he launches over the edge and onto the ground, standing in the crouch, drawing his 'Spiker' he waits an incredibly long moment, had anyone heard?

8. - Top - End - #248

Argyle lands on the steel grated platform with the audible THUD of metal on metal. However, as the rest of the team trains their weapons around where he has landed, the only other sound they hear is the echo.

"All clear, Three."

The balcony was small, roughly five foot by ten, and there was a single steel sliding door that led into the building from here. Beside it, there was a keypad that looked as though it might operate the door controls.

Valen looked down over the edge, into the reservoir. He then placed his hand on John's shoulder.

"Hold on entry, O23. This is where we leave Six and Seven. R36... get the coordinates of this place and make sure we have it stored before we leave here. The truck stays too - we have to lighten our load this point forward. X65... take the spartan laser and frag it unless someone wants to hump it out of here. I do not want the split-jaws getting their paws on our tech."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

9. - Top - End - #249

Argyle nods slightly as he stops moving towards the balcony.

"Aye Sir. Gnomere, perform another sweep for operational computers, lets see if we can extend a possible bridge without leaving me lacking for covering fire."
    "Running active scan now."
    "V21, I will take the spartan laser. Someone needs to have a heavy weapon..."

10. - Top - End - #250

John
    John pulls the Spartan laser out of the passenger side seat as he exits the truck, calling out, "Argyle, I've got the laser for now. I'll hand it over once we meet back up." Stepping down off of the frame, he joins Valen on the edge of the reservoir, toting the Spartan laser on his back.
    Volsung
    Stepping back from the reservoir as John moves up to the edge, Volsung calls up the map of the area on his HUD. Tagging their current location with a quick glance, he saves the coordinates and sends them to each of the other team members. That finished, he starts a quick lap around the building, looking for any other visible entrances. As he starts walking, he says, "Should we send the coordinates up to Val? I know comms are touchy right now, but she is the one with the ability to actually get things off planet."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

11. - Top - End - #251

"Roger that, R36... broadcast the coordinates on Secure Channel 3 with tags Leonidas Six and Leonidas Seven. Valkyrie knows what that means. Onyx 2, you and I will lower Seven down. R36 and X65, you lower down Six. We'll cover them with that piece of sheet metal down there. Onyx 3, you have eyes for now."

Valen and Sammael immediately lift Hinderance's body off of the Spade and carts it to the edge. Valen swings himself over the lip of the drop off and hangs by his fingers before dropping the remaining distance, causing his shields to sparkle with golden energy as he lets out an involuntary grunt of exertion. Sammael then lowers H04's suit over the edge and lets it fall, right into V21's waiting arms. Your team leader sets your dead brother upon the ground with the care of a father, with the gentleness of a friend. Although you see or hear no sign of it anywhere else... there is great sadness in his body language.

Spoiler
    Show

Gnomere picks up no active signals in the area, excluding the members of your team that is.

Doc: Volsung will have to climb out of the culvert in order to reach ground level and make that lap. It is doable, just will need a Climb check first! So you can do that before or after helping John with Tristan's body.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

12. - Top - End - #252

"Scouting."
    "Found a computer of some discription."
    "Jump in, This unit should be able to open the door."

Setting down and activating his portable cover in front of the door, hopeing to contain any possible traps, Iaoch and Argyle set about oppening the door using the keyboard, while Gnomere begins hacking attempts on the computer inside the building, being more careful this time.

Spoiler
    Show

Argyle and Iaoch Hacking the Door

Argyle: (1d20+10)[24]
    Iaoch: (1d20+6)[13]
    Iaoch Bonus: 1
    Total: 25

Gnomere on inside computer.
    Gnomere:(1d20+16)[18]

I need to start taking 10's. That was almost a roll of 1 from Gnomere.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2012-10-11 at 06:36 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253

Hearing the further orders from Valen, Volsung doubles back as he nears the corner of the building. Taking 6's limp body, they work in concert to slowly lower him down the slope, one dropping down and catching the suit when it is dropped. When they reach bottom, they reverently place his body on the ground and cover it with a piece of sheet metal lying on the ground. They both begin to speak, "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the Spartans walk with me; your weapons and armor, they comfort me." Finishing the short litany, they stand in silence for several seconds before turning and begin climbing the cliff up to the building and the rest of the Spartans. As they crest the ridge, Volsung splits off from the rest of the group to climb out of the culvert, beginning a short broadcast to Valkyrie as he goes. "[Secure Channel 3]Valkyrie, this is R36 reporting in. Leonidas 6 and 7 need evac and immediate medical attention. Their locations have been tagged and will be transmitted as a data file. Valkyrie, this is R36 reporting... Reaching the top of the culvert, he stands for a minute or so, scanning the horizon for any movement, waiting for any response, but eventually turns and slides back down to the remainder of the squad.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2012-10-15 at 09:51 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #254

Within a few minutes, Argyle hacked into the door controls and the steel portal slid open with a hydraulic hiss. The space beyond was dark and still, and your thermal vision displayed only one heat source in the large space. It appeared to be some kind of power supply. From the sound alone, the Spartan could tell that it was a cavernous room. O23's AI completed his scan, finding no operational computers online in the area.

Meanwhile, the remainder of the team reassembles on the ground outside.
    Last edited by Erasmas; 2012-10-16 at 09:43 AM.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

15. - Top - End - #255

"LOS is short distance, try and patch through the camera relay, infared."

Argyle begins moving infrared-light-source, seeking to perhaps gain some extended visual range by being close to the infrared light source, otherwise it would just be a slow proces of redeploying cover for sight. All for the want of a flash light. He also takes a look at the object.

Spoiler
    Show
    Apoologies, Read a previous post wrong.

16. - Top - End - #256

One by one, the Spartans outside the compound climb out of the trench and make a circuit around the large concrete building. They find three additional entrances... two other that are personnel and one large that appeared to be vehicle entry. The building, it appeared however, was locked up tight.

Inside, it doesn't take long for Argyle to find the panel for the lighting controls. Turning them on, the place illuminates to reveal a factory. Conveyor belts and machine arms litter the open space. It seems like, at one time, this was a munitions plant. Immediately off of this expansive room, you see three exit doors... one that looks like it may lead back outside, and the other two appear to lead to other areas of the compound.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

17. - Top - End - #257

Argyle sighed heartily a few moments after the lights came on. Looking around he decided it would be best to open the outside door, so when the others worked over they would be able to enter.
    "Opening a external door"

((OOC: Taking 10 on Spot, Listen, Move Silently and Search checks, assisted by AI's, but I am making them)

18. - Top - End - #258

Moments after sweeping the perimeter of the building, a side door slides open as Argyle broadcasts his action and scrambles the code for the controls. The team moves inside, shutting the door behind them.

"Alright, Onyx Wind... refill on ammo and whatever else you find that's useful. Stay in twos and stay alert."

As the Spartans begin looking around, it is quiet enough that you could hear a pin drop.

Spoiler
    Show

There is ammunition for any weapon made by the UNSC here, and enough of it to take the full allotted amount (the listed 'mag' limit, times 3). There is no sign of any Covenant weaponry, however.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

19. - Top - End - #259

The only real reason that it is silent however, is sealed helmets and Hud's, as Gnomere uses a slight hack on the Camara on Argyle's suit and on the others speakers, so everyone has a text of what the others say one their hud.

After a moment, some text moves to the Sparten's huds.
    "No observed features to asses the rooms of the remaining door. This unit has yet to find any sort of schematic or active computer signal outside of ours, choice is to Onyx-One. Spliting at current time is of acceptable risk levels."

Finding a full clip for his DMR, Argyle swaps out his used clip, missing out just a few shots. Now the only thing he has to replace is grenades.

20. - Top - End - #260

"Two left, two right, one sentry sound good? A group of any two of us should be able to just about neutralize what ever they throw at us," says Volsung as he steps out towards the left side of the building, his needler rifle out but hanging relaxed at his side. John hangs back a bit, rummaging around until he finds a few cases of shotgun shells to refill his supplies with.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

21. - Top - End - #261

Sweeping the building reveals no occupants of any sort. In addition to the ammunition found by Onyx Wind, when the two pairings reconvene, they have collectively found two med-kits, a case containing four frag grenades, and one radar jammer. There was a control room that had a bank of computer terminals, but all were powered down (at least for the moment). But that wasn't the only thing of interest:

"Come take a gander at what we found."

Valen leads you into a second large room, about a quarter of the size of the main factory, that appeared to be a vehicle bay... complete with two mounds hidden away beneath two dusty canvas tarps. V21 walks over to one of them and throws back the cover, to reveal the immediately recognizable M12 Force Application Vehicle... more commonly called the Warthog. Pulling the cover fully away, you see that this Hog is equipped with a mounted Gauss turret. Pulling the tarp away on the second mound reveals a second Hog, this one mounted with a .50 caliber machine gun turret. Both have been painted in a desert-style camouflage with a slight bluish coloration to it, to match the terrain of Helion.
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

22. - Top - End - #262

"My my my, aren't we lucky."
    "Mayhap AI Iaoch. Depends on where we travel next, Onyx 1?"

He is clearly asking for direction, at least, clearly for him.

23. - Top - End - #263

"Well, this does seem like quite a stroke of luck, but I have only one thing to say about this. Shotgun!"
    "We should probably check for explosives first. Wouldn't want the things blowing out from under us."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

24. - Top - End - #264

"Four, sweep both Hogs for explosives then... let us know that they aren't rigged for any surprises. Get that bay door opened up, Three... we're going to try and pick up the trail of that squad of Banshees we saw earlier and see if we can't find where they got to."

Valen begins clearing out some of the miscellaneous crates and pallets that had been placed in front of the Warthogs.

"X65, you are driving the Gauss with me on gunner duty. O23, you are driving the Chaingun with OW-013 on the gun. R36, you're with us."
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

25. - Top - End - #265

"Here's to driving."
    After his warthog is checked, Argyle slips into the drivers seat.
    "It will be interesting getting out of here, This unit has Tac'ed where the Banshees where last spotted with direction of their heading."

26. - Top - End - #266

After taking a quick look at the undercarriage and engine of both Warthogs for explosives, as well as pulling the hangar doors open far enough to allow the cars to exit, John leaps up onto the bed of the Warthog. He takes a moment to check the sights of the cannon, and then asks to no one in particular, "Why do you think they called these things Warthogs?"
    Volsung, having climbed into the passenger side of the other Warthog, merely grunts in passing, and continues to reload his needler. Clicking both halves into place, he looks up and says "Good to go boss. Allons-y and all that jazz."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

27. - Top - End - #267

After everyone else is onboard, Valen climbs into the back of the Gauss Hog and engages the magnetic locks in his feet, attaching himself to the metal mounting disc that formed the base of the turret. He nuzzled his shoulders into the somewhat padded stocks and gripped the trigger handles. Seeing that it was a little too short for his tastes, he adjusts the height of the stand and tests it again, before locking it down. Shifting his weight back and forth, he also gets a feel for the ease of motion in the weapon.

"Alright Onyx Wind, roll out!"
    - Ser Jorah Mormont

28. - Top - End - #268

Argyle leads the convoy, trying to stay not to far ahead letting Gnomere navigate.

Spoiler
    Show

Argyle: (1d20+6)[14]
    Gnomere Aid: (1d20+8)[21]
    Bonus Given: +5
    Iaoch Aid: (1d20+6)[7]
    Bonus Given: -2
    Total: 17

However, once again, Argyle tells Iaoch to shut up.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2012-10-24 at 04:53 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269

Volsung lets out a short bark of laughter at Argyle's demand. "You know, despite the fact that our AI's are quite possibly the most sophisticated piece of equipment we own, they are terrible at driving. Except you, Kaylee."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bit of warning, I'm going to be pretty busy the next few weeks, so my posting'll be fairly sporadic, if I can get on at all.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

30. - Top - End - #270

Argyle pulls out in his Chaingun Hog, with John driving the Gauss Hog directly behind him. The Nav Point tagged onto the Banshee was still active, and it read 163 km away and dropping steadily... which meant at least the marked craft was holding still. The road was still easily discernible, a lack of scrub brushes and a swath a packed dirt showed the way.

You drove on for what seemed a long while, and around the halfway point of your journey... a crackle erupts into your helmets.

"... copy, over? Onyx Team, this is Val ... er? Onyx Team, this is Valkyrie. Do you copy, over?"
    - Ser Jorah Mormont