New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: The Black Mages of Corneria (IC)

As a welcome surprise, for once the staircase actually leads straight up to the highest tower where Matoya resides. As the group gets closer, the rhythmic knocking becomes easier to distinguish, but is joined by Matoya's loud cries. "THIEF! VANDAL! HOOLIGAN!"

Bursting into the room, a spacious laboratory and dormitory with every finery and arcane instrument a witch could want or need and cleaned by twice as many brooms and feather dusters as any other part of the building, the students find their Mistress atop of a chair atop of a desk, thrusting a broom repeatedly at the ceiling, creating the aforementioned knocking sound, "BURGLAR! ROBBER! POLITICIAN!" she continues to scream profanities at the ceiling.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I have prepared mostly strong area spells. For your sake, stay clear of large groups."

As Malreth entered the room and saw the display of his teacher prodding the ceiling, he exclaimed, "Matoya! What in the Nine Hells is going on?!"
    Last edited by Rausdower; 2012-05-19 at 12:31 AM.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the sweet avatar.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Raiden put a hand to his face, trying to stifle a chuckle. "Ma'am, knowing this place, that ceiling might poke you back one of these days."

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception roll to see if anything looks cluttered or otherwise out of place, beyond the normal that is... (1d20+2)[5]

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue

Thina cannot help but look at her master, with a half smile on her face. Quickly getting rid of that smile, Thina looks around to see what it is that Matoya is screaming at and poking at with her broom.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception (1d20+11)[16]
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ezekial

Staggering up the stairs and into the room behind the others comes a disheveled looking man of middle years, hastily trying to shove an overly large hat onto his head. Almost bumping into those at the back before stopping, Whats all the commotion? I heard a noise and headed right here, well almost right away that is. Just couldn't leave without my hat...

He trails off as he notices Matoya standing in the strangest spot, prodding the ceiling with a broom. What in the blue blazes is going on here?

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jykil, a bit embarrassed that he was caught, smiled a little at the bard's comment. "I'll make sure of it," he responded, thankful it wasn't some other comment like "All hail Jykil, slayer of flowers."

Then he noticed the epic battle going on of Matoya vs. Ceiling. Part of him wanted to make some deadpan joke like "Hit it harder, miss! That'll teach it!" The other half of him, though, didn't want to get fried today.

"What's going on? Who robbed you?"
    Last edited by The Crash Man; 2012-05-19 at 10:13 AM.
    Epic Crashatar by the amazing Crimmy!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"What does it look like happened?!" Matoya continues knocking at the ceiling for the brief moment of awkward silence, "No, seriously, what does it look like? Dang ceiling just came down and TOOK MY ONLY EYE!" Nothing in the room looks unusual except for the stuff that usually does, except the pedestal in the middle where Matoya kept her crystal ball is now empty.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Poor old woman is clearly rattled...and delusional. It's possible that one using magic has used some sort of spell to pass through the ceiling. Or illusion magic perhaps.

He talked without trying to be quiet at all.

"How can we help you get the eye back from the...ceiling?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Arriving on the scene with the others, Winter bore witness to the seemingly-raving antics of Matoya. In his time among his fleshy progenitors, he looked to how they behaved so that he might better emulate them. Often times he found himself at odds with how erratic they could be, but compared to Matoya as she was now, those eccentricities seemed to be baseline by comparison.

Surveying the old witch's quarters, the Warforged managed to take notice of the missing crystal ball from the pedestal where it would roost. "Search of inventory... missing. Query: method of theft... undetectable?"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

The ceiling. Took her eye. That totally didn't sound irrational or suspicious at all. However, with such little information to go on, Jykil was at a crossroads. For now, he figured the best thing to do would be inquire for more information.

"How did the ceiling take your eye? We won't be able to get it back easily if we don't know how it was stolen."

That felt ridiculous to say. But who knows, maybe it would help?

11. - Top - End - #41

Raiden saw a golden opportunity to gain some brownie points with Matoya...after all, she constantly hassled him over his studies. He jumped up on the table, not needing a chair, and started poking the ceiling with his staff. "Spit out the ball, ceiling! I won't let this stand!"
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-05-19 at 03:47 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rausdower View Post
    "Poor old woman is clearly rattled...and delusional. It's possible that one using magic has used some sort of spell to pass through the ceiling. Or illusion magic perhaps.

He talked without trying to be quiet at all.

"How can we help you get the eye back from the...ceiling?
    "I am NOT delusional! I just can't see a dang thing! The ceiling came down, swooped over my eye, and now it's gone. I could still turn you into a toad if I so wished, just be glad I need someone to retrieve my eye!" Matoya threatens while banging the ceiling. "The thief is still here! Or is it? How can I tell when I can't see a blasted thing! Find it!" Giving up at knocking the ceiling, Matoya throws the broom against the wall, which in turn promptly shakes itself off and get back to sweeping the room.

Spoiler
    Show
    You may make Perception checks or take any other actions you can think of.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Somebody with better eyes than me keep an eye on what's going on. I'm going to try to get more information on this.

Matoya, what were you doing right before the ceiling took your ball? Did you cast any spells on it or something? Were there any weird noises?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malreth tried to feel for any stray foreign magics.

Spoiler
    Show
    Arcane check - (1d20+11)[18]

15. - Top - End - #45

Raiden places the end of his staff against the ceiling, closes his eyes and attempts to sense unusual magic energies generating from the ceiling.
    (1d20+7)[25]

"I'm not the greatest at this, everyone. As if you couldn't tell from my test scores!"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue

Thina looked all around, trying her best to discern the situation. Finally, a song came to her, a song to find her master's eye. She started singing, calling to the object, but also commanding whatever had it to give it back. She also poured her own arcane and natural magics in the song trying her best to manipulate the situation in their favor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I am going to make some checks, a few of them for different things.
    I already rolled a perception earlier, but I will roll another one if you would like, use either one you want to DOB (1d20+11)[16]
    Arcana - Trying to get a read on her object (1d20+10)[17]
    Diplomacy - Trying to convince the thing that took Matoya eye, through her siren's song to come and out give it back, or just to give it back (1d20+13)[31]

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"You blasted little whelp! I am the great witch Matoya! MY spells would not backfire or produce anything that I could not control!" Matoya screams at an armoire near Jykil.

Unfortunately sensing for strange magicks turns up nothing other than the usual. But strangely enough, Thina's song provokes a voice echoing throughout the chamber. "How quaint, the old hag can't teach any worthwhile magicks to her students, but she can teach her little birds to sing. Or is it a fish? Quite the trick I must say,"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jykil's eyes narrowed with annoyance as he put a hand on his flail. That voice was already starting to piss him off. However, he had an ace up his sleeve: a quick motion of his hand activated one of his favorite spells. His presence somehow seemed greater, and more persuasive. Voice low, he muttered out a savage threat.

"You wanna see worthwhile magic? If you don't drop that orb soon, we'd be happy to show you some. 'Course, I don't even think you'd live to tell the tale."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+18)[26]

Activated Beguiling Tongue for the extra +5

It was part a boast, part a threat, and part a challenge. But hopefully it'd get the job done.
    Last edited by The Crash Man; 2012-05-20 at 12:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue

After her comrades, speech, Thina tried her hand at talking. "My master did not teach me to sing. It was because I could sing she sought me out. Who are you, and why did you take my master's orb? You obviously have a problem with her, however now you have a problem with all of us. Give it back now, and I won't harm you." Thina intentionally left out everyone else from this promise because she knew her fellow students, and it was not in their nature to...not act.
    Spoiler
    Show

Another Diplomacy Check: with word of Friendship, +5 to next Dip check
    (1d20+18)[28]

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

20. - Top - End - #50

"You heard the man, er, dragon! Quit hiding behind your illusions and come out from the walls, weakling, and discover the talents Matoya's bestowed upon us!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate the mysterious voice(1d20+11)[22]

Turning to Matoya while still on top of the desk, Raiden pleaded, "You know how much we revere your Eye! Help us with any extra information on your prized artifact and allow us to find it. Don't trouble yourself!"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff, because Raiden quite frankly knows nothing about the Eye, but he wants to avoid as much future punishment as possible. He's trying to milk her for information at this point: (1d20+6)[23]
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-05-20 at 12:40 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The voice rasps loudly in what can only be assumed is a huge laughter, "I see your teacher has done very little to instruct you in humility. No matter, the boasts of ants are comedic, if nothing else. But I've wasted enough time here. My ally shall be waiting for me by now." Thina's eye is drawn to the shadow of a nearby desk which quickly morphs and jumps to the shadow of a chair, and finally to the doorway and stairwell, all the time staying a shadow of the wall as it slithered quickly down the stairwell.

"Well? Don't just stand there like the incompetent buffoons you are, go get my eye back!"

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As the shadow begins to move towards the door,
    It's headed for the door, after it! shouts Ezekial. Whatever it is, it seems to be the source of this confounded mess. And as it has disturbed my rest, I think it needs to be taught a good lesson even if it didn't steal the eye.

Spoiler
    Show
    will add a couple of rolls in the ooc thread to go with this post after I check my modifiers

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malreth takes off after the mysterious shadow being. As the fastest one here, he expects to end the pursuit quickly.
    Last edited by Rausdower; 2012-05-20 at 09:08 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jykil followed after the shadow being, hand raised and finger outstretched as he prepared to blind this foe if the need be.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I we roll for initiative and I outroll the shadow, ready an action to use Eyebite before it flees.

25. - Top - End - #55

Raiden deftly jumped down from the desk, readying his implements. He was giddy with anticipation. Haven't seen live combat in a while...this should be fun, he thought. He followed after his classmates.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

No one recognizes what exactly the shadow it or could be, although with only brief glimpses it's difficult to tell. Either way, it is not readily identifiable as anything you've ever heard of. The shadow darts down the stairway, only leading into the courtyard. Those who pursue it see it dart across the lawn in one quick movement, merging with and distorting the shadows on the opposite wall, "I see you think very highly of yourselves. Very well, let's see just how competent you are!" The shadows all around the courtyard twist and distort. You think you see something or rather several things move about in the shadows, but it's difficult to tell.

Matoya's Garden

Spoiler
    Show
    Hope that link works. Roll initiative and place your character anywhere in the 3x3 squares from L17 to N19.

27. - Top - End - #57

Spoiler
    Show
    Ill place myself when I get to my laptop. Ill be in row 19 somewhere. Won't let me make edits to the spreadsheet from my phone.

Initiative: (1d20+5)[14]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+10)[15]

EDIT: The spreadsheet seem to be perpetually view only/working status for me. Can someone with access place me on L17?
    Last edited by Rausdower; 2012-05-21 at 12:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative: (1d20+2)[21]

OOC: Yeah, I'm having trouble too. Put me down about M17 please.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue

Initiative: (1d20+2)[19]

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally