New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: The Black Mages of Corneria (IC)

Thina's Eyebite blasts a large chunk out of the Echidna, taking part of its shoulder and an ear. But as she does so, one of the roots around the Echidna unwinds into a green snake and lashes out at Thina's ankle, biting it
    ((20 VS Fort, Ongoing 5 Poison damage (save ends) ))

Ezekial follows up with a colored orb, blasting another large chunk out of the Echidna's hide. (Dazed and Bloodied.)

Malreth and Raiden follow up with their various attacks on the dazed Echidna. Jykil finally joins the fray, but his lightning breath strikes wildly off-target.

Severely limited in its options, Echidna tries its strongest move again, shaking the entire bridge with its shadowy roots nearly dislodging the stone.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Close Burst 10,
    Attack VS Thina: 29 VS Reflex
    Attack VS Ezekial: 20 VS Reflex
    Attack VS Malreth: 17 VS Reflex
    Attack VS Raiden: 13 VS Reflex
    Attack VS Jykil: 17 VS Reflex

Hit: 9 damage and you're slowed.

And apparently I failed my save against rolling for crap.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Raiden leaps just in time as another root attempts to snare his foot, slowing his movements. He senses urgency as he sees shadowy, organic ooze starting to pour from the echidna's wounds. This bridge cannot take many more of those attacks! We must take this thing out, now!

Spinning his staff in the air above his head, Raiden starts to manipulate the air around him. A vortex of wind shortly appears and is thrust toward the echidna.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Whirlwind , area burst 1, on D7
    Attack: (1d20+8)[18] vs. fort
    Damage: (1d10+9)[10] and the target is knocked prone.

Although Raiden's feet feel heavy, he manages to stumble a few steps forward. During his movement, he looks "up" toward the ground and mutters to anyone within earshot, "This isn't exactly how I've practiced this move, but here goes nothing!"

Raiden slams the end of his staff against the ground with massive force propelling him downward toward the ground. "Matoya, your gravity spell better work!" he shouts. Gravity takes hold of him, and he flies back up toward the underside of the bridge, landing on his feet with the end of his staff causing rippling damage to quake outward.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move to E7
    Action Point: Standard -- Thunder Leap, close burst 1 against all creatures (the enemy only).
    First Attack: (1d20+8)[21] +2 if enemy is now prone, vs. Fort; I launch myself "in the air", which does not provoke opportunity attacks.
    Damage: (2d6+9)[3][3](15) thunder damage.

Second attack: (1d20+8)[27] + 2 if enemy is now prone, vs. Fort, and choose to land in square D6.
    Damage: (2d6)[6][2](8) thunder damage, and I cannot push the enemy.

All of this assumes that the enemy's still standing by the time it's my turn or after my first attack goes off. If my first attack kills him, I'd rather save the action point & daily
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-06-25 at 06:53 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    MBA (1d20+13)[27]
    (1d8+5)[6]

Dancing Fire for 4 fire damage

And I don't need the THP right now.
    Many thanks to Ceika for the sweet avatar.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ezekial

Ezekial Attempts to hypnotize his foe into again striking himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard:
    Hypnotism on Echidna
    (1d20+13)[20](33) vs Will
    Hit: Echidna makes a free MBA vs Echidna with a +4 bonus to the roll

Ezekial's Status:
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP 29/38 Bloodied 19 Healing Surge 9 (1 used /7)
    AC 20 Fort 15 Reflex 19 Will 18 Speed 6

THP 0

EFFECTS

ENCOUNTERS SINCE LAST EXTENDED REST 1

ACTION POINTS 0

At-Will Powers
    Arc Lightning
    Beguiling Strands
    Hypnotism
    Magic Missile
    Light
    Mage Hand

Encounter Powers
    Color Orb
    Charm of Misplaced Wrath NOT PREPARED
    Glorious Presence
    Blissful Ignorance
    Fire Shroud NOT PREPARED
    Chameleon’s Mask
    Feather Fall NOT PREPARED
    Shield

Action Point
    Second Wind

Daily Powers
    Fountain of Flame
    Sleep NOT PREPARED
    Fireball NOT PREPARED
    Tasha’s Forcible Conscription

Item Powers
    Accurate Orb of Supplementary Force
    Shadowdance Cloth Armor
    Accurate Orb of Mental Dominion
    Amulet of Life

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue

After taking a few hits from this beast along with this poison from her snake, Thina decides it is best to take a few steps back and make her attacks from there. Knowing that Echidna cannot see her for now, Thina moves farther away and starts a couple of songs. One heals her wound, and the other rocks the very being of Echidna, causing her to not be quite as effective as she should be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    Move - to D11, Echidna gets a OA if she wants, but she cannot see me so its at a -5 to attack.
    Minor - Majestic Word, I get 13 HP's 5 THP's and I slide myself to E11
    Standard - Dissonant Strain VS Will (1d20+10)[13]
    Damage - (2d6+7)[18] , psychic damage, and the target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn. In addition, an ally within 5 squares of you can make a saving throw.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

It's not a good evening for the Echidna. Thina's attack fails to affect the still woozy monster, but she's invisible to the beast so she's safe.

Ezekial's hypnosis gets the Echidna to eviscerate herself, taking a large chunk out of her own gut. ((Crit on Hypnosis means Echidna auto-crits herself for an additional +4 damage.))

Malreth's blade and fire and Raiden's leaping lightning attack (his tornado spell misses) further mutilate the creature until it's on its last legs, figuratively speaking.

"Heh heh... HAHAHAHA... You foolish little brats... think you've accomplished something here today... But your deaths are assured... I will enjoy watching from oblivion... As your world is enveloped in darkness!" Then the Echidna does something very unexpected. With its last breath, its two claws reach for its own throat and slash it to pieces, the creature determined to die on its own terms with a monstrous grin on its face.

The beast crumbles into a pile of strange, black, unearthly material, unrecognizable from its current form.

Victory!

It also becomes clear that Matoya's gravity spell will be ending soon.

(For those with Passive Perception 17 or greater):
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the pile of black, plantlike matter, there's something blue and sparkly.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue

Thina, thanking that the monster was dead, realized that the gravity spell would probably be ending soon. "We should get off this bridge before we drop, we can rest on right-side-up, solid ground." Right as she starts to leave, she notices a gleam from what was once Echidna. She walks over to it, and wipes away all the gore and blood and finds a blue, sparkly object, but decides to wait to identify it until after they were all safe. She then gets back up from the bridge and helps all those that needs it. Then, as they rest, sings her song of regeneration and rest. Once they are all rested up form their fight, Thina examines the object and uses her magics to identify its nature.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, I grab the thing, get back up on the normal land, and then start my song once everyone is together and resting.
    Song of Rest:
    Spoiler
    Show
    When you play an instrument or sing during a short rest, you and each ally who can hear you are affected by your Song of Rest. When an affected character spends healing surges at the end of the rest, that character regains additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier with each healing surge. A character can be affected by only one Song of Rest at a time.

Once our 5 min rest is done, I will make an arcana check to see what the heck this thing is (1d20+10)[18]

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ezekial

Seeing the creature drop, Ezekial notices a gleam from its remains. When Thina picks the object up, Ezekial follows to the normal side of the structure before resting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming we get the rest, Ezekial will spend one surge to get back to full.

9. - Top - End - #159

As the creature melts from the ferocity of his allies' attacks, Raiden starts to feel gravity waver beneath him. Not wanting to get acquainted with the rocky surface "above" him, he quickly dashes to the railing of the bridge, hoisting himself up onto the rocky path above.

On the surface, sitting cross-legged with his friends, he exhales. Whew, that was a good workout...but now I'm really hungry.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming we short-rest, I'll spend a surge to get back to full. If we're resting around Matoya, I'll hang out here and look after Aki to see how she's doing...otherwise I'll hop up and move that way toward the two women.

As Raiden rests, he thinks he could have dodged one of the echidna's attacks had he attuned his teleportation a certain way. He nearly had the timing down on the root that grabbed him. He's also not sure, but he swears his skin feels harder after enduring the attacks from the last two encounters and being healed by Thina's magic.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-06-25 at 08:02 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyone else find it weird how that thing clawed its own throat out? I mean, sure, it got pulverized to a wreck, but I figured it'd at least make a last stand."

Jykil followed the others, a little confused but not wanting to fall off of the bridge.

Spoiler
    Show
    Another healing surge spent, bringing Jykil back to full HP.
    Epic Crashatar by the amazing Crimmy!

11. - Top - End - #161

Cut its own throat, or eat a fistful of lightning? says Raiden with a chuckle. I think it picked the more merciful option!
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-06-26 at 10:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

As the group gets right-side up and rests in the cold mountain air on the bridge, the gravity spell wears off and the remains of the strange monster fall to the mountain below. Matoya stands at the entrance and stares at nothing in particular, tapping her foot impatiently. "Well? Any of you little ingrates get my eye back or what?"

13. - Top - End - #163

Raiden sighs, looks at the floor for a second, then meets her gaze. No, that shadow creature had a friend underneath the bridge, a huge one-eyed round bat thing. We were prepared to take them both out, but the shadow passed your eye off to the bat and it flew away before we were able to strike.

So we gave the shadow creature double the beatdown instead,
    hoping that would console her a bit.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue
    Thina, after resting and trying to figure out this orb that seems very odd, yet familiar, to her, listens to her Master's words and is thrown back into reality. "It is as Raiden says, Master. The thing called Echidna, talked with a winged creature, named Ahriman I believe, and handed your eye off to it. Before Echidna slashed her own throat, she said something about an impending darkness coming our way. Also, after she died, I found this within her remains," holding up the blue orb and "showing" it to Matoya. "I know not exactly what it is, but it feel very familiar to me...and it also seems like, I can't believe I am going to say this, one of the crystals of the Light Warriors. Master, what does this mean?"
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-06-27 at 08:28 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ezekial

A crystal of the Light Warriors? Oh this bodes well, bodes well indeed. And to think we risk our hides and then she calls us ingrates. Ezekial mutters sarcastically.

16. - Top - End - #166

The Crystals gave me my power! What the...how did he...I don't get... stammers Raiden, stupefied. Now I'm pissed. Matoya, how would that creature have a Crystal in its gut?? Now I want to beat up that thing's buddy even more.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Bah! Don't be dense! That's impossible foe it or you to have a Crystal. You're all useless!" she turns to storm back inside, the broom in front of her opening the door and making sure she doesn't run into any walls. After a few seconds though, she turns around, confused and skeptical, but intrigued, "Let me see-" she stops mid-sentence and turns beet-red at her slip of the tongue, "Hand this crystal thing you found over here. Let's take a closer look..." she grimaces again, "...That is, study it further."
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2012-06-27 at 11:08 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue

Thina hands over the crystal and waits for Matoya to look it over, following her to where she is going to...inspect it.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

19. - Top - End - #169

Amused at Matoya's slip of the tongue, Raiden walks over to Aki and motions to help her to her feet. How are you feeling?

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: (1d20+12)[30]

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
    Amused at Matoya's slip of the tongue, Raiden walks over to Aki and motions to help her to her feet. How are you feeling?

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check: [roll0]
    She's still unconscious. Stable thanks to the healing magic Thina spent earlier, but she probably won't wake up until at least tomorrow morning.

Matoya fondles the crystal for a bit, unable to see but only feels it, shakes it for a bit and holds it up to an ear like a seashell, even tries to bite it with her teeth hoping for a reaction. "Sorry, there's no Light or other magic in this thing. Probably a knock-off. At least I sure hope this isn't one of the original crystals, otherwise we're already screwed." She tosses it back to Thina, and by tosses it back, I mean throws in a random direction. It's a miracle it doesn't go sailing over the edge. "Well, better get some rest. After all, the lot of you have got to be up bright and early tomorrow for your big journey." Finally she walks back inside.

Meanwhile, entering the common room is the only other student, the dwarf, who sleepily rubs his eyes to check on what's all the commotion.
    Last edited by DiscipleofBob; 2012-06-28 at 09:16 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Journey, what journey is this?

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gillric View Post
    Journey, what journey is this?
    "Well certainly you don't expect an old, blind woman to go wandering off into the world, do you? And someone has to get my eye back as soon as possible."

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Malreth picks up to the stone and inspects it himself to see what the fuss was about.

"Hmph, the excitement never ends, does it Matoya?", he says sarcastically as he pockets the stone.

24. - Top - End - #174

Raiden starts stretching his limbs out in an overdramatic fashion. Toe touches, shoulder stretches, maybe a jumping jack or two. Ignore these guys Ma'am, they don't appreciate a good adventure like you and I do.

He walks over to Aki and picks her up in her arms, walking inside. Can't have you catching a cold out here while you nap. Let's bring you inside, shall we? I'll watch the gate tonight.

Making his way inside the tower, Raiden notices the old dwarf sitting in the common room. Knowing that it will be impossible to find Aki's room, he walks through the hallways until he reaches his own room. Opening the door, he places her on his bed, thinking to himself, Hope this isn't too much of a shock to you in the morning! and exits, closing the door behind him.

Back out in the common room, he walks by Scraggle, slaps him on the back and sits across from him. Where you been, Whiskers? You've missed all the fun!
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-06-28 at 12:25 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
    Back out in the common room, he walks by Scraggle, slaps him on the back and sits across from him. Where you been, Whiskers? You've missed all the fun!
    The dwarf hears Raiden's word, looks at the unconscious Aki in Raiden's arms, sees Raiden headed towards the bedrooms, and draws his own conclusions. "I'm not sure me sensibilities would permit me to participate in whatever fun ye were thinkin' aboot. Is ther' somethin' goin' on I should be stoppin' with less I regret it later?" he asks with mild suspicion.

26. - Top - End - #176

Haha, you old rascal. Not that kind of fun! We fought a few shadow beasts tonight and poor Aki got slashed across the back on her very first night. Wasn't gonna let her sleep that injury off in the cold. Man, I thought my first night was bad... as he trails off for a moment. *ahem* Not sure how you didn't hear the commotion outside...you must really sleep like a rock. Those shadows stole Matoya's eye. Can you believe it? I couldn't find Matoya's lab if I tried, and yet they snuck right in with no trouble at all. I can't decide if they're powerful or lucky. Anyway, the old bat's now blind as a...well, a bat. So we're off in the morning to go find the old hunk of crystal. Sounds fun, doesn't it!

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue
    Noting that Malreth picked up the orb that, still, pulls at Malreth, Thina nods to Matoya, "Well, time for a rest then. We will depart tomorrow morning," smiling because she gets to be on the road again. "Malreth, would you like to accompany me to the library for a little while? I would like to do some research on that orb some more, it is very familiar to me for some reason."

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Fine, I have little need for long rest anyway.", he says not even looking at Thina while starting to walk towards the library.

Spoiler
    Show
    History check on this crystal - (1d20+12)[27]

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue

Thina follows Malreth to the library. Letting him hit the books, since she is not any good at it, Thina looks the crystal over and uses her scrutinizing eye and her experience from the sea and the forests to help her as well.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception Check to notice anything odd, markings, etc. (1d20+12)[21]
    Nature Check to find out if it come from nature or if, somehow, it came from the sea. (1d20+14)[31]

Also, what time is it when we get started researching?

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The dwarf just stares skeptically at Raiden's rambling. "You know as well as I do that sound doesn't travel to or from the bedrooms, bein' all interdimensional n' stuff. I'm glad I skipped whatever ye had for dinner tonight."

It's well past midnight when Malreth and Thina begin their research. Even with Malreth's elven constitution, you'll both only be able to work for a few hours at best before you need to crash.

Malreth's History Check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know all the usual details from the old legends: Many years of strife as the various elements died out until a group of four crystal-bearing Light Warriors appeared. They took their crystals to the elemental shrines to restore the light to the crystals and destroyed the beings who tried to corrupt their energy. The conclusion of the story is vague, only that some accounts state they actually traveled back in time to slay an all-powerful entity, restored light and balance in the world, and ushered in the current age of prosperity. Supposedly the restored crystals are still in their elemental shrines, and the crystals the Light Warriors used are enshrined at Castle Corneria.

Thina's Perception Check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are no strange markings or any manufacturing marks or patterns of any kind. It appears to be naturally formed, which would fit the description of the Light Warriors' crystals.

Thina's Nature Check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As said before, it does seem naturally formed, but to say it came from nature wouldn't quite be accurate. If this is the crystal of legend, it's more like nature comes from it. Also, since each crystal corresponds to one of the four elements (common knowledge) it would make sense if this is a, or the, Water Crystal, which alone could explain Thina's connection to it.