New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Black Mages of Corneria (IC)

Thina, Bard of Blue

"Well, you seem to be most familiar with this city, Ezekial, so I will follow where you lead. I, personally, am not very fond of cities, so the quicker we get what we need the quicker we can leave. Maybe I can make some friends at our tavern and sing them some songs." Thina, then, follows Ezekial where he thinks is the best place to go.
    My Extended Signature, Check it out!

DMing:

Amazing Irish Avatar by Savannah

My own 5e Bard Subclass
    Made by the awesome Wartex1!

LGBTA+ Ally

2. - Top - End - #212
    Barbarian in the Playground

Well you two have fun. I'd like to see what else this town has to offer. Scales or Ears, you're welcome to come with. Raiden struts down the street, presumably toward other nightlife attractions in the hopes that he can meet some other rapscallions with stories to tell.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Outside Matoya's Academy

"Hold on, guys, I'll catch up in a bit," says Raiden as the rest of the group goes ahead with the chocobos, knowing better than to stick around.

A loud crack of thunder later, along with the sound of a large tree falling, and the vague smell of smoke, and soon Raiden has caught up with the group, a smug look on his face as he sports his conical hat.

Bridgetown

"You go on ahead, guys, I'll catch up in a bit," says Raiden as he purposefully splits off from the group. You all can only speculate as to the type of trouble he'll get into.

((Great Dane, give me a Streetwise check.))

Ezekial leads the others to a small stable, unconnected with either of the inns. Unfortunately, it's not standard to have a place for a traveler to have a place to rest their horses, or whatever you're riding, presumably so they can force tourists to buy new ones. Fortunately, Ezekial knows how to get around this being exceptionally savvy here, and with a little bribe, you can find a stable to rest your mounts.

((Nature checks all around plz.))

The inns are similar in terms of price and quality, but the Stick Monkey is less of a booze-well so Ezekial decides to head there. It's on the second story of Bridgetown, and it's not the most impressive hotel by any means, but it's reasonably comfortable with decent enough food.

((From here you can make Streetwise checks to gather information and/or Diplomacy checks to win over some of the locals, but Diplomacy won't be nearly as succesful as Streetwise. Intimidate might also work, but it could get you in trouble real fast.))

4. - Top - End - #214

Raiden dismounts and closes the door on his chocobo's pen.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise: (1d20+7)[9]
    Nature for his chocobo and because hilariously dumb things happen when I make nature checks: (1d20+2)[22]
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-07-09 at 12:10 PM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

Upon entering the den of drunkards, Malreth removes a stack of a dozen of so gold from his pouch and clutches it as he sits at the far end of the bar and waits for the bartender to approach him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature (1d20+4)[7]
    Many thanks to Ceika for the sweet avatar.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ezekial

Urging the others to leave their mounts in the stable, Ezekial dismounts and calms his beast before heading to the Inn. Upon reaching the Inn he takes a table in the corner with a good view of the rest of the room and flags down a server to request food and drink. While waiting for his meal he surveys the room to see if anything can be learned.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature: (1d20+5)[20](25)
    Streetwise: (1d20+3)[4](7)

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue
    Thina boards her bird, who she has not quite named yet but will be naming him soon, at the stables and follow Ezekial to the Inn. After entering the Inn, she heads right up to the bartender and asks about a meal and drinks and perhaps room and board for her and her companions for the night if she were to sing a few songs and perform for his patrons. Before he can answer, she jumps up where the normal "stage" area would be for bards and starts to sing. It is one of the most melodic sounds anyone in this bar has ever heard and after a few moments of her voice ringing through the Inn, a hush falls on all the patrons. Even the serving wenches and bartender stop what they are doing and listen. It is a song full of emotion, and a little bit of magic, to ensnare the senses and render the listeners absolutely focused on her. When she finishes, she jumps down and goes back up the the bartender and asks with a wink and a very warm smile, "Well, what do you think? If I do more of that can we stay here for the night?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature for boarding - (1d20+14)[27]
    Diplomacy for the bartender & Patrons(with help from Word of Friendship) - (1d20+17)[29]

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ezekial finds a stable owner, and while normally he doesn't let others rest their mounts (preferring tourists to have to buy from stock as the rest of the town does) a few quick words from Ezekial and a small bribe makes the stable owner change his position very quickly.

Raiden and Ezekial realize that these Chocobos are going to hate being cooped up. They're not even domesticated. They're essentially wild but friendly animals that more or less agreed to take you of their own free will. Whether they're truly sentient or not is anyone's guess, but you pretty much know that if cooped up, they're going to break out and escape to the best of their ability.

((I'll let you choose whether or not to do anything about that here while I go on with the rest of the rolls.))

Malreth clutches his coin at the end of the bar keeping an eye on these rabble. You wouldn't find a place this uncivilized in an elven establishment, that's for sure (or at least that's what he thinks anyway).

Thina's song enraptures the bar, and the bartender replies, "Lady, if you play like that, you can stay all week!" The rest of the bar erupts in laughter and applause, though Thina's pretty sure she can catch some remarks of, "Aye, but whose room will she be stayin' in" and similar innuendos. You're not certain if anyone would actually try anything dishonest, but there are definitely a crowd of men (and some more butch women) clamoring for your attentions.

9. - Top - End - #219

Raiden closes the door on his chocobo's pen and, sensing the stress the animal currently expresses, says to the group, These birds aren't going to like being cooped up. What should we do?

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

(Rewind to before the Inn)
    Thina, Bard of Blue
    Thina gets an idea in her head. She looks at her bird straight in the eye, after taking him out of the pen, and asks, "If we leave you somewhere with some food, so you can be out in the open, will you wait for us in that spot until tomorrow when we ride on? Will you do that for us?"

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

"Wark!" The lead black chocobo ruffles its feathers and warks loudly. You have no idea what that means, but you're guessing these birds, while friendly, are extremely difficult to domesticate.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue
    Smiling at the bird, and seeming to understand its loud squawk, Thina takes a hold of its bridle and speaks, "Go then, you silly bird. I thank you for your companionship thus far and taking me all the way here. If you see fit to come back and carry me a while longer I will be grateful. I'd like to think that I can help protect you as well, but you will do as you with, me thinks. Go, gentle Chocobo and enjoy your life." She then leads it outside the city and takes off its bridle. After she lets the bird go, she takes the feather left by the bird and puts it in her pack, then she goes to the Inn. (Which is where the story picks up in the Inn for Thina.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Nature check to let the chocobo I cared for it and bear it no ill will for leaving, etc. etc. Thina is now dipping into the elven part of her past. (1d20+14)[30]
    Last edited by Irish Musician; 2012-07-10 at 08:12 AM.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

13. - Top - End - #223

Seeing Thina lead her chocobo outside the Bridge and realizing her intentions, Raiden follows her with his own. Speaking in Elven, he says, Your friend was pretty worthless, but you're a good bird. Hope you'll bail me out one of these days when I need a quick getaway. I promise you lots of snacks.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want another nature check, here you go...but I'm nervous. (1d20+2)[22]
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-07-09 at 03:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

((Let's resolve this unintended subplot now. ))

The black chocobo nuzzles up against Thina several times, presumably to let her know there's no hard feelings. When the entire party has dismounted, the black chocobo gives a loud wark. The remaining chocobos snap their restraints with one good bite and they're off before anyone has a chance to stop them.

Thina, however, notes a grayish feather on her shoulder, probably from when the black chocobo nuzzled her. Ezekial and Raiden find themselves in similar situations with yellow feathers.

15. - Top - End - #225

After seeing the chocobos depart, Raiden wanders back toward town, throws his hands up, and yells, "OH YEAH! Night life, here we come. I'll meet you guys at the Stick Monkey later on!" and moves quickly toward where he thinks the Drowning Dwarf is.

Spoiler
    Show
    ...with his 9 streetwise, and let's throw in some Perception to detect anything unruly going on that may be of interest: (1d20+1)[21], losing the +1 since I ditched Malreth.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Raiden goes off on his own, hoping for some urban-style adventure, but he quickly gets lost in the crowds, an impressive feat considering the simplistic layout of the city. He's unable to find this Drunken Dwarf inn, so Raiden stops to ask for directions.

Approaching a man standing in a corner, one who stands out slightly due to his red and white striped clothing and glasses, Raiden waves in friendship, "Pardon me, sir, but I..."

"How did you find me?!" The man gasps in surprise.

"Er..." Raiden is unsure whether to ask.

"No one's supposed to be able to find me!" The man reaches into a pack of his and pulls out a pair of boots. "Here take these, but remember, you never saw me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Waldo gives you a pair of Boots of Striding.

That's right.

You found Waldo.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ezekial

Watching the chocobos go, Ezekial takes the large yellow feather and firmly inserts it into the band of his hat with the overly large brim. Well, back to the Inn for a much needed meal and then we should see what we can learn.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

(Continuing in the Pub)
    Thina, Bard of Blue
    Thina smiles at the bartender, and at all her new fans. She winks at some, and gives a flirty evil-eye to the others. She then orders a mead, and goes back on stage to sing the night away for the bar. She loves to sing for people, and hasn't really gotten to since the left the elves in their forest homes, so she takes full advantage of the situation and sing her heart out, arcane infused melodies coming out of her in what seems like an endless stream of song. She sings about missing home, those friends that she hasn't seen in a long time. She sings of good times and of bad times, all the while capturing the bar's attention, and even grabbing some people from outside and luring them into the Inn. She sing for a while, stopping every now and again for a drink to refresh her voice, but in truth she doesn't really need it.

Eventually she stops and bows, hunger tearing at her belly, and she goes and orders some food from the bartender and sits with her comrades and rests, so that she can replenish and maybe even do another round of song.

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

19. - Top - End - #229

Raiden blinks a few times, takes the boots from the striped-shirt man and whispers, I never saw a thing. Putting them on, he feels lighter and quicker on his feet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sweet, wishlist item!

A bit confused as to where he is, he instead wanders back over to the Stick Monkey.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-07-10 at 10:56 AM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Thina's singing manages to procure free rooms for the night, and tomorrow you can set out, either by mount (that you may have to rent) or by foot which shouldn't be that long either way.

Malreth huddles in the corner watching these filthy common human rabble to make sure he isn't mugged.

When Ezekial goes to check his room, he finds that the previous tennant accidentally left some things behind. In fact, they left a lot of things behind. And some blood, too, but that's mostly cleaned up. The beds are fresh anyway.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ezekial gets a random item from his wishlist in his room.
    Other benefit to that natural 20 Streetwise from earlier.
    I'd be more specific but I don't have access to google docs at the moment so I can't read your character sheet.

Raiden... is still lost.

21. - Top - End - #231

Raiden has no idea where he is. He tries to find a sense of direction by remembering the architecture of the bridge and which streetlights, archways, etc. he may have passed on his way to, well, nowhere.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dungeoneering: (1d20+2)[11]

Wandering around, Raiden tries to spot someone that seems to know where things might be in this damn city, and if they'd be nice enough to point him in the right direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception:(1d20+2)[6]

Assuming he finds someone that fits the criteria, he'll start up a conversation. Otherwise he'll walk up to the first person he sees.
    Spoiler
    Show

Good evening fine sir. You might call me an "out-of-towner", says Raiden as he tips his straw hat to the gentleman. I've heard the Stick Monkey's a fine dining establishment but I cannot for the life of me find it. Might you point me in the direction?
    Diplomacy: (1d20+12)[17]
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-07-11 at 09:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue
    After finishing her sets, and getting some food in her belly, Thina sits at the bar and talks with the patrons, and those that approach her. She speaks of many things with them, but also she asks many, in her sultry, nonchalant way and kind of like it doesn't matter, if any of them have heard of the name Ahriman or of his master. She does this very jokingly and off-the-cuff as not to arouse suspicion of the part of the patrons. Laughing and getting slightly tipsy, Thina starts to realize that Raiden is not there with them. At first, she shrugs it off, but as the night grows late, she get more and more worried. She asks the others, "Have you seen Raiden at the Inn yet?" With fairly negative answers coming her way, Thina thanks everyone for listening to her, lets the bartender know she will be back, and walks out the door, looking for Raiden.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, Diplomacy for checking on Ahriman (1d20+12)[13]

Perception for looking for Raiden (1d20+12)[24]

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Raiden goes up to a random stranger on the street and asks for directions. The stranger is a dishevelled bearded man who says nothing, merely looks up and holds out and old, withered palm towards Raiden.

"Thank you, thank you, you've all been too kind. Say, while I have your attention, my companions and I were wondering: Has anyone seen a giant, yellow, one-eyed monster recently?" The entire bar erupts in roaring laughter. Thina can't get another word in and steps down, completely unaware of the entendre she just made.

24. - Top - End - #234

Raiden sighs, fishes a coin out of his pocket and hands it to the beggar. Stick. Monkey. Where? Please.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
    Raiden sighs, fishes a coin out of his pocket and hands it to the beggar. Stick. Monkey. Where? Please.
    The beggar accepts the coin and nods appreciatively. When you try to mouth words at him he merely shakes his head.

26. - Top - End - #236

Raiden makes a face that looks something like this: , tips his hat down over his eyes and calmly walks down the street. Gods, this town sucks, he thinks. He keeps walking and listens for sounds of music.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

The Stick Monkey is calming down for the night, everyone has rooms reserved. He goes over to Malreth and speaks in a perfect Elvish dialect, <"Look, are you going to sulk there all night or are you going to order something? Because it's going to be last call pretty soon.">

It doesn't take long for Thina to go out and find Raiden wandering around town aimlessly. He's less than a block from the Stick Monkey but he was walking away, apparently having passed it at least once without realizing it.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Thina, Bard of Blue
    Thina sees Raiden wandering around aimlessly, seeming to be drunk. Oh gods, she thinks, he smashed. Great, didn't want to play babysitter tonight. She starts walking up to Raiden and shouts, "Hey, Raiden!" Over here!" When he gets a little closer, she says, "So where did you go? It's been hours.....you're....you're not drunk are you?"

DMing:

My own 5e Bard Subclass

LGBTA+ Ally

29. - Top - End - #239

Raiden sees the merlady and throws his hands up in the air in exuberation. Thank the Gods, I've found a familiar face! I'm starving and thirsty. I've been wandering around this place for hours now. But I did find some fancy shoes... as he scoots to and fro.

Walking inside with Thina, he asks, You look like you've had a pleasant evening and..., as he takes a look around, you seem to have made some friends. Sitting down next to Malreth with Thina following, he asks, So have we found anything out? I sure as hell haven't.

Motioning behind the bar, Raiden asks, Barkeep, food and drink please. I'm with her, as he points to Thina.
    Last edited by Great Dane; 2012-07-12 at 01:12 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ezekial

Not a thing as of now. How was the other establishment?