New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VII: The Mosh Pit Don't Start 'Til We Walk In

No-one has mentioned Jari yet? Heh, I'm surprised.

I'm fine with an overabundance of subgenres. Music isn't something that is easily catagorised in any case. Even something as obsessed with, er... purity as metal, usually. It does get a bit much when you lay on modifier after modifier, but accuracy is never really a bad thing. Usually. Probably.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

2. - Top - End - #632
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    Except sometimes, it just gives you a better idea of what you're talking about. If I wanted to say I like bands like alcest, and I wasn't allowed to use the term blackgaze (or any variation thereof), then I would just say I like shoegaze. Except, since I don't listen to any other shoegaze, I would be giving people a wrong idea of what my taste in music is.

Subgenres may be complicated, but accuracy is still important. I don't think you could do a band like Moonsorrow justice by describing them as black metal, or as folk metal, or as melodic metal. You need a mix of those terms, if only because the music itself is a mix of those styles. I don't mind subgenres; if used properly, they can steer you away from misunderstandings, and, more importantly, from misrepresenting yourself and the bands you like.
    That's true, but, unless you're discussing with someone with your level of knowledge, you're just tossing around terms. Sometime, even if you have at disposal a precise sub-genre, if you want to describe the vibe of a band, it's better to make a reference to a greater genre, adding some descriptive element.

That said, enjoy some Skyforger.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-11-19 at 07:12 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post

I completely beg to differ. If you walk down the street and ask people at random to elucidate the difference between house, techno, and trance, and then walk down a different street and inquire vis a vis death, doom, and black metal, I imagine you'll get pretty similar results.
    eh... maybe its just europe but a lot of people seem to know what house techno and trance are. And those subgenres are much more popular overall too. I mean, in general, i've noticed that genre tags on music websites are more likely to have seperate tags for house, techno and trance than for death doom and black metal.

Again, i think this might must be because electric music is so much more popular
    but i really have to differ with you there moff...
    wanna talk it out on facebook?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

4. - Top - End - #634
    Troll in the Playground

eh... maybe its just europe but a lot of people seem to know what house techno and trance are
    That's definitely a European thing, I don't think there's a real techno scene in America and there hasn't been for a while. Trance still gets played, but it's still pretty niche. And house is just mislabeled and misrepresented constantly.

And those subgenres are much more popular overall too. I mean, in general, i've noticed that genre tags on music websites are more likely to have seperate tags for house, techno and trance than for death doom and black metal.
    Last.fm doesn't really agree.
    Techno-320,000 tags (many or most, probably inaccurate)
    Death Metal-635,00 tags
    Trance-381,000 tags
    Black Metal-749,000 tags
    House-355,000 tags
    Doom Metal-268,000 tags

Make of that what you will. There are perhaps more people vaguely familiar with electronic subgenres than metal, but if we're discussing folks with more than a passing familiarity (the sorts that'd be able to identify subgenres and whatnot), it's been my experience that metal's pretty well exposed. I can't help but observe that metal's the only genre that's sustained multiple threads on this forum; the multiple attempts we've had at electronic threads fizzled out after a few pages. Probably says more about this forum's demographics than anything else, but I thought it was worth observing.

Quote Originally Posted by cleric_of_BANJO View Post
    Except sometimes, it just gives you a better idea of what you're talking about. If I wanted to say I like bands like alcest, and I wasn't allowed to use the term blackgaze (or any variation thereof), then I would just say I like shoegaze. Except, since I don't listen to any other shoegaze, I would be giving people a wrong idea of what my taste in music is.

Subgenres may be complicated, but accuracy is still important. I don't think you could do a band like Moonsorrow justice by describing them as black metal, or as folk metal, or as melodic metal. You need a mix of those terms, if only because the music itself is a mix of those styles. I don't mind subgenres; if used properly, they can steer you away from misunderstandings, and, more importantly, from misrepresenting yourself and the bands you like.
    I think the problem there is a band like Moonsorrow (I'll take your word for it) isn't well-represented by a simple genre tag like black metal, but Alcest and the like are completely well represented by the shoegaze label.
    Also, if you like Alcest and similar, why not check out more shoegaze? If you'd like some recommendations feel free to shoot me a PM, I'd like to think I've built a pretty sizable collection by now.

5. - Top - End - #635
    Troll in the Playground

So in about a week's time the new Finsterforst album is coming out.

This is awesome, because we always need more accordions. Also it's about damn time.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ogre in the Playground

alright moff
    well played

in other news
    i tried to explain NSBM to my philosophy class...
    that did not go over well...

also
    i went to a concert friday night
    i did not expect i would have to explain to my whole grade what a mosh pit was and how i got my black eye on monday
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

Again, I disagree. I know metal has more of a tradition of purism than most genres, and your average Slowdive fan might not have a ton in common with your average metalhead, but that shouldn't matter. A lot of the shoegaze fans I know, both of us (based on your posts in this thread) included, love stoner metal and drone metal. We're totally fine with claiming we like some metal, why do metalheads have to insist Alcest is anything other than shoegaze?
    This.

Like I said, there's a reason why it's generally referred to as "Black Metal Shoegaze" as opposed to "Shoegaze Black Metal". Just like Folk Metal is Metal with Folk influences, Black Metal Shoegaze is Shoegaze with Black Metal influences, and just like like Melodic death Metal is Death Metal with Melody that's sometimes shortened to "Melodeath Metal", Black Metal Shoegaze is sometimes shortened to "Blackgaze".
    I don't see how people can say "Blackgaze doesn't exists", when they're perfectly okay with other fusion genres. It's just a way of quickly describing a sound.
    When it comes to sub genres and such, the thing I don't really get when people label something based on it's themes or lyrics, rather then it's sound. To me something like "Vampiric Black Metal" or "Pagan Metal" is far more ridiculous then sub-genres based on the actual sound.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-11-22 at 04:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    When it comes to sub genres and such, the thing I don't really get when people label something based on it's themes or lyrics, rather then it's sound. To me something like "Vampiric Black Metal" or "Pagan Metal" is far more ridiculous then sub-genres based on the actual sound.
    I could agree, but when you're giving a precise label to the sound, you can as well label also the thematics, so the listener can be more (or less) interested. So, Vampiric Black Metal and Pagan Black Metal.
    I believe those are some of the excesses AllIHaveIsCrunk was refering to.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-11-22 at 05:43 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

On topic: I'm with KA for the most part

Off topic:
    For school I have to write a thesis paper. It's due next year (its kind of a huge deal)
    My topic?
    How did the work of Chuck Schuldiner evolve over the course of his musical career?

(that research question isn't 100% tight yet I know, but the general idea is to understand the evolution of Chucks work)
    My Metal Blog

10. - Top - End - #640
    Troll in the Playground

The problem with blackgaze is that I have never heard "black metal influenced shoegaze". MAYBE a few riffs in a few Alcest songs, and some harsh vocals over shoegaze, but that'd be like calling Psyclon Nine black metal because they have screechy vocals and metal-esque guitars on occassion.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

I'm with Faulty on this. For a fusion genre to be a valid thing, like, say, noise pop (noise rock+dream pop), there's gotta be lots of elements drawn from both (or all) root genres, and the result has to be distinct from its influences. Alcest may be black metal-inspired shoegaze, but let's be real: shoegaze accounts for about 90% of their sound, and aside from a few details, they're pretty indistinguishable from your average, generic shoegaze.

Also, I personally find the notion of purely theme-based subgenres absolutely ridiculous, and I can't think of any other genres of which that's a feature. Even subgenres with associated subject matters (space rock, west-coast gangsta rap, emo (the emotive post-hardcore kind, not the MCR kind)) also have completely distinct sounds and sonic aesthetics.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    The problem with blackgaze is that I have never heard "black metal influenced shoegaze". MAYBE a few riffs in a few Alcest songs, and some harsh vocals over shoegaze, but that'd be like calling Psyclon Nine black metal because they have screechy vocals and metal-esque guitars on occassion.
    Fun fact: Neige didn't know what Shoegaze was until people started comparing his music to it and he discovered Slow Drive much later.

Alcest have a mixture of songs which have no Black Metal elements, and songs which do in different levels, particularly in the vocals and guitars (sometimes in the drumming as well). Even though the guitars are rarely true kvlt black \m/etal, the tone and technique is very reminiscent. This song, for example, falls in and out of it, and to me, this and this are pretty good examples of Black Metal sounds and vocals with Shoegaze riffs and melodies.

Same with bands like Heretoir, Thranenkind, Dernier Martyr and Amesoeurs

EDIT: Also, about Psyclon Nine, it would depend on what album. Their earlier sound is very Aggrotech, but with each album, Nero's music seems to have more and more Industrial Metal and Black Metal influences, particularly on We the Fallen.

But that's besides the point, no one is calling any of these bands Black Metal, so I don't see the comparison you're trying to make. They're calling them Blackgaze... because, you know... they're not Black Metal.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-11-23 at 07:37 AM.

13. - Top - End - #643
    Ogre in the Playground

oh genre wars...
    i guess i'll step out and have a beer break
    My Metal Blog

14. - Top - End - #644
    Troll in the Playground

I'm with Faulty on this. For a fusion genre to be a valid thing, like, say, noise pop (noise rock+dream pop), there's gotta be lots of elements drawn from both (or all) root genres, and the result has to be distinct from its influences. Alcest may be black metal-inspired shoegaze, but let's be real: shoegaze accounts for about 90% of their sound, and aside from a few details, they're pretty indistinguishable from your average, generic shoegaze.

Also, I personally find the notion of purely theme-based subgenres absolutely ridiculous, and I can't think of any other genres of which that's a feature. Even subgenres with associated subject matters (space rock, west-coast gangsta rap, emo (the emotive post-hardcore kind, not the MCR kind)) also have completely distinct sounds and sonic aesthetics.
    Congratulations on the 666th post. :v
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

oh genre wars...
    i guess i'll step out and have a beer break
    Nah, genre wars go something like this.

Guy 1:"TURISAS IS THE BEST FOLK METAL BAND EVER!!!!111!1oneoneeleventy"
    Guy 2: "Dude, wtf you on about? Turisas are Viking Power Metal. -_-"
    Me: *scrapes my face with a cheese grater*

This is debating the existence of a genre. Different.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-11-23 at 12:58 PM.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now thats shredding!

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

17. - Top - End - #647
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Macab View Post
    Now thats shredding!

DM
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-11-23 at 03:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah, genre wars go something like this.

Guy 1:"TURISAS IS THE BEST FOLK METAL BAND EVER!!!!111!1oneoneeleventy"
    Guy 2: "Dude, wtf you on about? Turisas are Viking Power Metal. -_-"

This is debating the existence of a genre. Different.
    pfft
    same difference
    My Metal Blog

19. - Top - End - #649
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

(Sub)genre discussions tend to be tiring and pointless, IMO.

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRogue View Post
    (Sub)genre discussions tend to be tiring and pointless, IMO.
    i'm with the sensei
    My Metal Blog

21. - Top - End - #651
    Dwarf in the Playground

Has anybody figured out why she quit? I really liked her.

Edit: Apparently this is why.
    Last edited by godspit; 2012-11-25 at 06:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #652

The link doesn't work, but as I understand it, from Cerebral Bore's facebook page she commented that it was because Paul McGuire is a control freak and she couldn't stand working with him anymore. Then again, her comment was deleted afterwards in very short order :v

It's a real shame. To be frank, I always thought of Cerebral Bore as at best a pretty generic brutal death metal band with an awesome vocalist; might make me sound kinda like a tool but Som's vocals were really the only reason I got into Cerebral Bore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    : THOG NOW SCHRÖDINGER's ORC!
    Quote Originally Posted by skim172 View Post
    If you ever see Hitler riding a T-Rex in your direction - you, my friend, are a very unlucky person.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    "Ooh. Did you bring a biology textbook with you? No? Sorry, nothing personal." And then I dissect them.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Dwarf in the Playground

Same here honestly. Her vocals were amazing.

24. - Top - End - #654
    Ogre in the Playground

indeed,
    its cool when a bands vocalist is so good their growls differentiate the band
    My Metal Blog

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ogre in the Playground

New. Ayreon. Album. 2013?

OHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODO HMYGOdOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOHMYGODOH MYGODOHMYGOoOHMYGODOHMYGOD.

DAMN IT TIME TRAVEL, WHY DO YOU NOT EXIST?!

Ahem. Sorry about that. Is anyone else as excited as me?
    Last edited by Sgt. Cookie; 2012-11-26 at 08:46 AM.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

26. - Top - End - #656
    Troll in the Playground

Never really something I cared much about.

I am, however, excited about the new Finsterforst, which should be coming out today. Sounds like people are saying it's pretty good. Which is awesome.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Ogre in the Playground

so um
    new aeon is pretty sweet
    which i'm trying to get for free from metal blade *crosses fingers*
    My Metal Blog

28. - Top - End - #658

I've recently acquired the taste for glam metal. Some of it is pretty cool, actually. It's like power metal, with a similar melodic emphasis and uber-accesibility but with a tad more self awareness and a tad fewer mind shatteringly horrible lyrics. Also glam metal tends to eschew power metal's production tomfoolery.

Actually the two are nothing alike, come to think of it. In any case, got me a Dokken album and I'm gonna listen to it.

(the emotive post-hardcore kind, not the MCR kind))
    Not to be pedantic (yeah right) but MCR really isn't any kind of emo at all, even emo-pop. It's closer to rock opera than emo. Of course I'm only going by one album

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Sorry about that. Is anyone else as excited as me?
    From the scowl that materialized upon my face when I heard the news I'd say if anyone is as excited, it's not me.
    Last edited by DJ Yung Crunk; 2012-11-27 at 12:43 AM.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    I've recently acquired the taste for glam metal. Some of it is pretty cool, actually. It's like power metal, with a similar melodic emphasis and uber-accesibility but with a tad more self awareness and a tad fewer mind shatteringly horrible lyrics. Also glam metal tends to eschew power metal's production tomfoolery.

Actually the two are nothing alike, come to think of it. In any case, got me a Dokken album and I'm gonna listen to it.
    i feel the same as you do but was never willing to 'fess up because i knew moff would make fun of me....

oops
    My Metal Blog

30. - Top - End - #660
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AllIHaveIsCrunk View Post
    Not to be pedantic (yeah right) but MCR really isn't any kind of emo at all, even emo-pop. It's closer to rock opera than emo. Of course I'm only going by one album.
    Of course they're not, but I'm sure you understand why I made the distinction. I don't think the playground has a ton of emotive post-hardcore fans.

i feel the same as you do but was never willing to 'fess up because i knew moff would make fun of me....

oops
    I won't make fun of you, Grimmy. Just silently judge.
    Last edited by Moff Chumley; 2012-11-27 at 07:50 AM.