New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Metal Thread VII: The Mosh Pit Don't Start 'Til We Walk In

It would have been cool to have you along Chumley, but I don't think you would have enjoyed yourself. Or you might have, I can never tell.

Anyway I recommend Weapon for you death metal fans out there.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

So there's a new Candlemass album out. For some reason, this fills me with childish glee. But sounds like it will be their last album ever. Sucks.

I was just thinking the other day that there are no great doom releases anymore. I guess this is it.
    Awesome fremetar by wxdruid.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    Also, this is the internet. We're all borderline insane for simply being here.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

"Doom Metal is dead" - Reverend Bizarre.
    Wonder Woman (DC Girls in Sweaters Style) Avatar by Astrella.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Faulty, now available in other flavours:
    last.fm
    Metal Archives

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Faulty View Post
    "Doom Metal is dead" - Reverend Bizarre.
    Word.

But, then again. Candlemass.

From the discomfort of truth there is only one refuge and that is ignorance. I do not need to be comfortable, and I will not take refuge. I demand to *know*.
    So I guess I have an internets? | And a trophy. | And a music cookie (whatever that is).

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

I haven't listened to it yet but I've heard good things about it. I'm not a huge doom person most of the time, and I mostly listen to stoner when I do, so I can't really comment. Love Reverend though. Man, dem riffs on So Long Suckers. CHRISTS MAY COME AND CHRISTS MAY GO BUT CAESER IS FOREEEEEEVEEEEER!

Anyway I've been listening to lots of Coil. Totally not metal derp. Also ya'll should keep reading my blog if you haven't been. >_>
    Last edited by Faulty; 2012-06-22 at 07:03 AM.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

6. - Top - End - #156
    Barbarian in the Playground

So apparently, Kamelot announced their new singer today. It's Tommy Karevik, who was the lead singer for a prog band called Seventh Wonder. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to like him or not, so does anyone have any good recommendations for the band?

And with regards to doom being dead, I thought the new Swallow the Sun album from this year was pretty good.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

I think they/we/whomever meant trad doom. Like... DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Also, Kamelot will never top The Black Halo for me, I imagine...

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nomrom View Post
    So apparently, Kamelot announced their new singer today. It's Tommy Karevik, who was the lead singer for a prog band called Seventh Wonder. I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to like him or not, so does anyone have any good recommendations for the band?
    Ah yes, Seventh Wonder. I'd recommend anything off Mercy Falls or Waiting in the Wings, or The Great Escape (the song). But if you want to have an optimistic picture of Kamelot's future, don't listen to Alley Cat. Dear god, Tommy's vocals are terrible on that one.
    I am a:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Two-handed martial reach weapon. I do d10 weapon dice, weigh 12 pounds, and belong to the Axe group.

Many, many thanks to kpenguin for the amazing avatar.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm going to hold my judgement until i hear a new album. They wont be the same, thats not to say they wont be good.

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Also, Kamelot will never top The Black Halo for me, I imagine...
    faulty is so right with this post i could just scream

also
    meshuggah and decapitated are coming to paris :D
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Crimmy for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
    I just heard about the Death To All tour today.

They played within driving distance of me just yesterday.

I could just drop kick a newborn kitten I am so unhappy that I missed out on it. :|
    that is...
    so
    very sad

i wanted to go to that tour too comrade
    but i live in europe

*reassuring hug for comrade*
    My Metal Blog
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

So apparently Limp Bizkit is one of the leading groups (I couldn't call them a band) for Graspop this year.

Just thought I would crush some souls.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

So I read a statistic in Time: Finland has the highest percentage of metal bands per capita, at 50.62 bands per hundred people.

The amusing thing: they cited as their source "Encyclopaedia Metallum". Heh.

So apparently, Kamelot announced their new singer today. It's Tommy Karevik, who was the lead singer for a prog band called Seventh Wonder.
    Huh. I remember Seventh Wonder as having a very unmemorable vocalist. Oh well. Let's hope Kamelot can do something with him.

Trad doom, yes. And you don't get more trad than Candlemass. In fact, they sound exactly like Black Sabbath 2.0, heh. But Psalms for the Dead is seriously good. Like, better than I ever imagined it could be.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by godspit View Post
    So apparently Limp Bizkit is one of the leading groups (I couldn't call them a band) for Graspop this year.

Just thought I would crush some souls.
    *Starts to cry*
    My Metal Blog

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by godspit View Post
    Read the text.
    Read the text again.
    Look at post's date, and realize it's not the 1st of april.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

I wish I was kidding but I'm really not. I'm really sorry guys, I remember when this festival was cool.

Now my faith in humanity is crushed.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

>not black metal
    >don't care

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Concert reports from last week:

Tuesday - Volbeat/Hellyeah/Iced Earth: I went to see Iced Earth on Tuesday, as they'd been picked up as one of the supporting bands for Volbeat's tour. I got there part way into the local opening band's set and Iced Earth were the next band up after that. Their set was pretty similar to when I saw them back in March, with the biggest change being that they had to cut about 30 minutes from the set as they weren't headlining, which of course meant that some of my longer favorites like "Damien" and "Dante's Inferno" had to go. Still, they put on a fantastic show, and my only real complaint was that I wanted more.

I spent most of Hellyeah's set in the pit getting roughed up a bit, then took most of Volbeat's somewhat overlong set off, but went back to mosh for their last song, and the opening riffs of "Raining Blood" which they played for some unknown reason at the very end.

On the whole it was a pretty awesome show, but I'd have liked a bit more time for Iced Earth and a bit less for Volbeat.

Thursday - Valient Thorr/Holy Grail/The Kickass: This one was in a little bar in a town on the outskirts of Detroit. While Iced Earth were the band that I enjoyed seeing the most, this was probably the best show of the week overall.

The opening act were a nice high energy rock band with a sort of punky, Motorhead-esque vibe about them, which made for a good banging time.

The Kickass were next, playing a style of instrumental prog that ate up their entire set in the span of about four songs. I had a lot of fun listening to them. Their music was really cool and hearing the drummer address the audience in between songs was a nice added bonus. Between his slurred speech, the beer he was drinking, and the joint that I saw/smelled him smoking outside the bar before the show, I'm pretty sure that he was high and/or drunk the entire time, though he was actually playing really, really well. While I was away at the bathroom between sets, my brother had a conversation with their guitarist, who was apparently a pretty cool guy. We had meant to buy one of their CDs on our way out, but ultimately forgot to do so.

Holy Grail were the band I'd gone to see, and they didn't disappoint. As with the last time I saw them, their singer's mic wasn't at quite as high of volume as I'd have liked, but it was better this time, and I could hear him alright most of the time, and knew most of the words pretty well anyway. Their performance was tons of fun, and I was able to see it from right up close. Getting to see their guitarists shred away on their guitars from about a foot away was quite the experience. They also played a few songs from their upcoming album, which they said would be coming out some time in the fall, and suffice to say I'm excited about it.

After Holy Grail's set, I went back into the bar area, where I was sold quite a generous amount of Jack Daniel's for $7. In what may or may not have been a good decision, I pounded it away in the 20 minutes or so before I went back to see Valient Thorr. They had a lot of energy, with the added benefit of being fronted by a certifiable crazy person, and I had a nice drunken, rocking time to close out the night.

Friday - Dream Theater/Crimson Projekct: For the last show of the week, I saw Dream Theater and Crimson Projekct. Crimson Projekct is a band which contains members of King Crimson and was playing King Crimson songs, but which was not King Crimson for reasons that I don't fully understand, likely a lawsuit of some sort.

The Crimson set was bizarre, both in terms of the music and the fact that no one stood up to watch it (my brother and I were asked to sit back down when we tried). Still, it was enjoyable enough. The two drummers and two bassists were interesting to see and the proggy weirdness kept me entertained.

The crowd finally took to their feet when Dream Theater came on stage. They played a lot off of their new album which I hadn't bothered to get, as well as some older stuff that I wasn't quite as familiar with, but the sing along portion is only one small part of what you're there for when you go to see Dream Theater. I got some solid odd-time headbanging in, and was quite pleased with the various wankery. One thing that I did pick up in their set-list was that the lyrics for many of the songs they'd chosen seemed to be cheap shots at Mike Portnoy. It struck me as slightly unprofessional, but it's possible that I was simply reading too much into it and if that was what they needed to do to inject some extra energy into their performance I'm ultimately not particularly upset about it.

I just heard about the Death To All tour today.

They played within driving distance of me just yesterday.

I could just drop kick a newborn kitten I am so unhappy that I missed out on it. :|
    I'd considered going to that as well, but the closest show to me is all the way out in Chicago, which is a bit further than I can manage. I'm hoping that it won't be a one off thing, and that they'll end up doing more of these tours, sort of like how the Dio Disciples work.
    Last edited by WhamBamSam; 2012-06-26 at 06:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Screw that! New Opeth.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

21. - Top - End - #171
    Bugbear in the Playground

Limp Bizkit over Motorhead and Slayer.

And Sabaton and Megadeath, Lamb of God, Amon Amarth, Children of Bodom, My Dying Bride, Cannibal Corpse, Eluvietie, Alestorm and Ensiferum

and those are just the bands I like
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

Behemoth, guys. Behemoth. Best band on the billing there.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

Anyone here ever listen to Zero Hour?

I think that they only had two cds...but man o man...they rawked.
    My free puzzle, riddle and mystery website. It's ALIVE!!! http://www.treasuredhunt.com

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Yeah, I mentioned it like a week ago.

But I see they've actually released the song now. That's cool. I wanted to wait for the actual EP but what the hell.

I'm kinda interested in that new Opeth. Sounds good.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aethernox View Post
    Super cool that they decided to stream the whole song.

Screw that! New Opeth.
    Was that really never linked to before? Huh. Anywho, the sad thing is, I would totally enjoy it if not for Akerstache's joke vocals. Still, I'm amazed at how fast he belted that album out. I'm not sure when Opeth's album was leaked, but Heritage (Of Love) came out about 3 weeks prior to Heritage's official release.

[EDIT: Come to think of it, maybe the only track to make use of lyrics from the Opeth album is "The Devil's Orchard" which was the single that came out in July. So, bar that, he could've been going off of the track list that probably came out long before the album.]

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Can't tell if serious.
    Last edited by eyeofsaulot; 2012-06-27 at 12:04 PM.
    It began - and ends - with Pylon. Pylon stands in the doorway, beckoning me in.

my last.fm
    my rym

26. - Top - End - #176
    Troll in the Playground

Won't tell if serious.

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Feytalist View Post
    Horray for Latex!

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    Huh. Anywho, the sad thing is, I would totally enjoy it if not for Akerstache's joke vocals.
    sad, indeed.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

saulot, dat signature. <3

NO FUN. NOT EVER.

last.fm
    Metal Archives

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eyeofsaulot View Post
    Can't tell if serious.
    Won't tell if serious.
    Heheh.

Going to a local gig tomorrow night. Mostly death metal / deathcore, which is meh, but Valkur will be there, a kind of groove black metal band. They're pretty great.

SA black metal scene represent :/

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Won't tell if serious.
    no way she's serious
    My Metal Blog