Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 330 of 845
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kyeudo's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 501a: Faceless Prince

    Your description was really nonspecific (protip: be specific) so I defaulted to Warmachine/Alchemical Visual Design. This here's a sketch, be feedbacking plox.

    Joints will be linked with lightning arcs.

    Links

    Time: 35 minutes
    Music: Supplementary Lessons for Misfortune
    Hey, dropping in to comment since I'm the one who originally came up with our Faceless Prince. Let me see if I can't fill in the holes that Sanctaphax is missing.

    As he mentioned, we're not looking for a mechanical theme for this one - more an elemental one. More like this:
    Spoiler
    Show




    In terms of proportions, the prince has a normal human pose (no hunchback) and is lithe and graceful. He has both hands. He's deadly not because of his strength or because of supernatural toughness but because he's literally lightning fast. Texture wise, I was looking for his metal sections to look like rough, unrefined copper:
    Spoiler
    Show




    For his pose, I was looking for something with some motion to it, something dynamic. Perhaps something along lines like this:
    Spoiler
    Show



    Zero was the original inspiration for the knee-length cable-hair. In attitude, he is menacing and malevolent. He is arrogant, self-assured, confident, and intimidating. He fights with whips made of lightning, if it matters.

    Better?

    EDIT: I approve of the music selection
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2012-09-29 at 11:31 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Better?
    Significantly. I'll get to it soon!

    EDIT: I approve of the music selection
    =D I sometimes wonder if anyone listens to those links.

    Day 503: Kitchsy

    Inks of yesterday's Kitch sketch.

    Links

    Time: 30m
    Music: Anthropology!
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  3. - Top - End - #303
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    I'd consider listening to your links, but I bought seven CDs of classical music last week and they haven't become engraved on my psyche yet.
    Merry Happy New Year!

    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Nightmare by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Domochevsky's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Germany (North)

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    What's up with the T-Rex arms?
    (They're half as long as they should be, unless i'm missing something here.)

  5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    I'd consider listening to your links, but I bought seven CDs of classical music last week and they haven't become engraved on my psyche yet.
    Haha, can't fault that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    What's up with the T-Rex arms?
    (They're half as long as they should be, unless i'm missing something here.)
    It would be an injustice to draw an anime geek properly proportioned.

    Day 504: Fighting Spirit!

    I don't know. A thing. Back to the schedule soonish.

    Links

    Time: 20 mins
    Music: Somebody That I Used To Know
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Day 505: Belker

    Back to the Monster Manual challenge with a picture of the ugliest little ghost you've ever seen.

    Tried something new, and treated this more like a painting with sketch tools than a solid lined drawing. Actually seemed an interesting technique and was fun to do so I'm going to do more like this.

    Faceless Prince sometime soonish.

    Links

    Time: 30 mins
    Music: First Flight
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    He needs a hug.
    Divine hugs of righteous kindness!

    But you know, without the positive energy so he isn't destroyed.
    Merry Happy New Year!

    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Nightmare by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  8. - Top - End - #308
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    Sanctaphrax's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    I dunno why, but I actually really like that Belker.

  9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Day 506-509: Deprivation

    Day 506: Blink Dog
    6:15pm Oh darn, forums went into backup right after I hit 'submit reply'. Guess I'll wait and post it later.

    9pm: Huh, 'several hours of backup'? Guess I'll stay up.

    2am: I HAVE WAITED TOO DAMN LONG ALREADY! I'll just post it tomorrow.

    Lessons learned: Directional shading, fading and implied lines, a fascinating experience

    Links

    Day 507: Bodak

    This is really fun! Learned some cool applications of direactional brushing and shading. Must continue to examine. Now that that's done, and the forum is still down, I guess I'll play some New Vegas...

    Links

    Day 508: Damn you, New Vegas!

    Ahhhh it's 11:30pm and I've been playing video games all day, quickly sketch some Mirror Man!

    Links

    Day 509: Bugbear

    BLOCKING! Big squares within which details are included. Was so spot on I wonder why I've let this habit slip.

    Good gracious not being able to update this thread annoyed me.

    Links
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-06 at 05:57 AM.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Aww... It's an adorable transdimensional puppy dog!

    Aww... It's an adorable transdimensional puppy dog! Again...
    *checks label*
    Okay... Bodak must either be its name or you copied the same link twice.



    As for the others... I've spent too long on my latest art project to have an opinion on something that wasn't produced in exactly the same method about exactly the same subject matter. Give my brain a bit to banish thoughts of cloaks and how they and everything else made from fabric exist solely to torment my perfectionism before I have an intelligent comment.
    Merry Happy New Year!

    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Nightmare by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Aww... It's an adorable transdimensional puppy dog!

    Aww... It's an adorable transdimensional puppy dog! Again...
    *checks label*
    Okay... Bodak must either be its name or you copied the same link twice.
    Good catch, fixed now!

    As for the others... I've spent too long on my latest art project to have an opinion on something that wasn't produced in exactly the same method about exactly the same subject matter. Give my brain a bit to banish thoughts of cloaks and how they and everything else made from fabric exist solely to torment my perfectionism before I have an intelligent comment.
    Haha, fair enough, I know that feel. Dumb fabric.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Missing her multiquote :(
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 505: Belker

    Back to the Monster Manual challenge with a picture of the ugliest little ghost you've ever seen.

    Tried something new, and treated this more like a painting with sketch tools than a solid lined drawing. Actually seemed an interesting technique and was fun to do so I'm going to do more like this.

    Faceless Prince sometime soonish.

    Links

    Time: 30 mins
    Music: First Flight
    The belker was cooler when it was sentient smoke that would solidify it's claws after forcefully invading your body, murder you and feed of the leaked essence.

    OOH! that sounds nice. Gotta read that spirit book.

    Your challenge continues to be intriguing. I can't wait for you to get a few chapters in for dragon month mk. II
    "Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice."

  13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    The belker was cooler when it was sentient smoke that would solidify it's claws after forcefully invading your body, murder you and feed of the leaked essence.

    OOH! that sounds nice. Gotta read that spirit book.

    Your challenge continues to be intriguing. I can't wait for you to get a few chapters in for dragon month mk. II
    Ah, Dragon Month. Some of my favourite learning. Pity I keep getting distracted from the challenge.

    Day 510: Vulcan

    A brand new sketch of my brand new totallynotaSeeryouguys!

    This is Vulcan. She likes making things. Doing this was good fun; I'm starting to intellectually feel like a real artist. It's great!

    I promise I'll get that Faceless Prince guy done soon. Possibly tomorrow.

    Links

    EDIT: Had some spare time, have the linework. Legs need work, otherwise looks fine.

    Time: 20 mins
    Music: Kindness
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-07 at 07:58 AM.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Day 511: Faceless Prince Mrk. 2

    Alright, here's the redesign as a lean, efficient and dexterous assassin-bot. Red is cable hair blue is lightning joints. Is this better?

    Links

    Time: 20 mins
    Music: Orchid
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Ah, Dragon Month. Some of my favourite learning. Pity I keep getting distracted from the challenge.

    Day 510: Vulcan

    A brand new sketch of my brand new totallynotaSeeryouguys!

    This is Vulcan. She likes making things. Doing this was good fun; I'm starting to intellectually feel like a real artist. It's great!

    I promise I'll get that Faceless Prince guy done soon. Possibly tomorrow.

    Links

    EDIT: Had some spare time, have the linework. Legs need work, otherwise looks fine.

    Time: 20 mins
    Music: Kindness
    Ah, so is this the Moros channeling Hephaestus that you mentioned in the Mage thread?
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkDM
    That game does seem to have an unusual number of Bronies per square meter.
    Luna Nos Custodit


    Awesome paradoxical avatar by Aruius! When the robot uprising is complete, he alone shall be spared.

  16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Ah, so is this the Moros channeling Hephaestus that you mentioned in the Mage thread?
    Yes. Going to redesign the visuals pretty entirely though. Ideas.

    Day 512: Waavithan

    waa

    Time: 40 minutes
    Music: Carol of the Waa
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-09 at 07:19 AM.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kyeudo's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 511: Faceless Prince Mrk. 2

    Alright, here's the redesign as a lean, efficient and dexterous assassin-bot. Red is cable hair blue is lightning joints. Is this better?

    Links

    Time: 20 mins
    Music: Orchid
    Very much so. Some things I'd like to see:

    Split the torso so that its just the chest and the pelvis, connected by lightning. I don't really like the spinal collum there.

    With the hair, I was thinking something more like the predetor's dreadlocks:
    Spoiler
    Show



    I'd like to see them going down his back in one narrow shock of cables, like a ponytail.

    As for the pose, I'd like to see the left arm in the middle of swinging an electric whip, being brought down on a target in the direction of the viewer, with the right arm swing back, trailing a whip that's already snapping out in front of him.

  18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Very much so. Some things I'd like to see:

    Split the torso so that its just the chest and the pelvis, connected by lightning. I don't really like the spinal collum there.

    With the hair, I was thinking something more like the predetor's dreadlocks:
    Spoiler
    Show



    I'd like to see them going down his back in one narrow shock of cables, like a ponytail.

    As for the pose, I'd like to see the left arm in the middle of swinging an electric whip, being brought down on a target in the direction of the viewer, with the right arm swing back, trailing a whip that's already snapping out in front of him.
    Cool stuff, on it tomorrow.

    Day 513: Helmetized

    Helmets are cool. Ran out of time for something proper.

    Slightly late upload due to computer troubles.

    Links
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-10 at 08:54 AM.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    Very much so. Some things I'd like to see:

    Split the torso so that its just the chest and the pelvis, connected by lightning. I don't really like the spinal collum there.

    With the hair, I was thinking something more like the predetor's dreadlocks:
    Spoiler
    Show



    I'd like to see them going down his back in one narrow shock of cables, like a ponytail.

    As for the pose, I'd like to see the left arm in the middle of swinging an electric whip, being brought down on a target in the direction of the viewer, with the right arm swing back, trailing a whip that's already snapping out in front of him.
    Day 514: MK2 V2

    I didn't quite understand what you meant by the pose, is this what you were after?

    Links

    Time: ~40 minutes various sketching
    Music: Banished Queen
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kyeudo's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    For the pose, I was thinking something more like this:
    Spoiler
    Show



  21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    For the pose, I was thinking something more like this:
    Spoiler
    Show


    That doesn't make sense to me compositionally but a'ight.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kyeudo's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    That doesn't make sense to me compositionally but a'ight.
    The one is supposed to be behind his head, but paint has practical limitations.

  23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    The one is supposed to be behind his head, but paint has practical limitations.
    It still makes no sense for me and I think it's going to work out cluttered, confusing and/or misproportioned. I'll still do it, I just think it's a mistake.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Day 515: Bulette

    I really like the Bulette. For a mindless eating animal it's got a great design, a memorable design and is generally enjoyable.

    Links

    Time: 30 minutes
    Music: Heavy Fuel
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female2Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    I like Vulcan. You should do more Vulcan.
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

    Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

  26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kyeudo's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It still makes no sense for me and I think it's going to work out cluttered, confusing and/or misproportioned. I'll still do it, I just think it's a mistake.
    You'll have to spell your reservations out to me with a bit more specificness before I'll understand what you mean. I think I've seen other artwork with similar poses before and they looked just fine to me, but what do I know? I've got all the artistic talent of an automaton.
    Last edited by Kyeudo; 2012-10-13 at 12:06 AM.

  27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by nersxe View Post
    I like Vulcan. You should do more Vulcan.
    On it, chief!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyeudo View Post
    You'll have to spell your reservations out to me with a bit more specificness before I'll understand what you mean. I think I've seen other artwork with similar poses before and they looked just fine to me, but what do I know? I've got all the artistic talent of an automaton.
    Try standing like that in real life. It's awkward and ungainly and feels horrible and wrong. It involves weird bending and warping of a natural stance, it throws off the balance of the picture, and it clutters the central area. I don't like it, no sir.

    Day 516: XCOM

    oh boy xcom

    links
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Day 517: Small Regrets

    Miscellaneous sketches. Going to try to ramp up art time in the future. I'm really onto something with the blocking technique I've been using - construction lines and geometric shapes contribute a huge amount to consistency and structure.

    Links

    Time: 40 minutes
    Music: If I Go Back
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

  29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female2Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 517: Small Regrets

    Miscellaneous sketches. Going to try to ramp up art time in the future. I'm really onto something with the blocking technique I've been using - construction lines and geometric shapes contribute a huge amount to consistency and structure.

    Links

    Time: 40 minutes
    Music: If I Go Back
    Is that Vulcan top middle? I hope it is. Vulcan is my favorite.
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

    Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

  30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by nersxe View Post
    Is that Vulcan top middle? I hope it is. Vulcan is my favorite.
    Yeah, I'm trying some random things for hair and eyes. I'm not quite getting the, what... optimistic cynicism of her across yet.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •