Page 12 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 360 of 845
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kyeudo's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Draper, Utah
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Try standing like that in real life. It's awkward and ungainly and feels horrible and wrong. It involves weird bending and warping of a natural stance, it throws off the balance of the picture, and it clutters the central area. I don't like it, no sir.
    I was picturing that as a leaping attack for some reason.

  2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Day 518: Upgrade

    Today's a big day. Today I switched up my sketching technique, based on close examination of the Lackadaisy tutorials.

    It takes a lot longer than what I'm used to but I'll think you'll agree that the results are reams better. Other stuff is in hold while I become proficient at this.

    Links

    Time: 45 minutes
    Music: Sorry (EDIT: what the hay is going on in this music video)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-15 at 05:03 AM.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female2Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 518: Upgrade

    Today's a big day. Today I switched up my sketching technique, based on close examination of the Lackadaisy tutorials.

    It takes a lot longer than what I'm used to but I'll think you'll agree that the results are reams better. Other stuff is in hold while I become proficient at this.

    Links

    Time: 45 minutes
    Music: Sorry (EDIT: what the hay is going on in this music video)
    Masterchief and Fox?

    These do look very good. I don't know what you're doing, but keep doing it. (Preferably while sketching Vulcan. She is my favorite.)
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

    Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

  4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by nersxe View Post
    Masterchief and Fox?

    These do look very good. I don't know what you're doing, but keep doing it. (Preferably while sketching Vulcan. She is my favorite.)
    As much as I appreciate the praise... why? What makes her so interesting to you? I'm curious.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female2Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    As much as I appreciate the praise... why? What makes her so interesting to you? I'm curious.
    You know, I'm not actually sure. There's just something about her that caught my attention, out of everything else I've seen of yours.
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

    Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

  6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by nersxe View Post
    You know, I'm not actually sure. There's just something about her that caught my attention, out of everything else I've seen of yours.
    I can respect that. I'll try to get more design work done.

    Day 519: His Imperial Majesty

    When all else fails, draw Emperor Norton

    Links
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  7. - Top - End - #337
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Maxtronaut's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    My personal dreadnaught.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 519: His Imperial Majesty
    Pffft.

    Palpatine/Vader 2012.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

  8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Pffft.

    Palpatine/Vader 2012.
    I'm going to assume you just don't know who Emperor Norton is, otherwise you wouldn't be saying such rubbish.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  9. - Top - End - #339
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Current avatar by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  10. - Top - End - #340
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Maxtronaut's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    My personal dreadnaught.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I'm going to assume you just don't know who Emperor Norton is, otherwise you wouldn't be saying such rubbish.
    Yep, no idea who he is.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

  11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    The best emperor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Yep, no idea who he is.
    Learn your own history you philistine.


    Cassidy Day 2: Rainbow Dash

    By Cassidy, Age 7.

    Links
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  12. - Top - End - #342
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Maxtronaut's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    My personal dreadnaught.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    The best emperor.



    Learn your own history you philistine.
    Dunno what that word means either.
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

  13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    I don't know whether to scream, cry or go on a murderous, yet surprisingly educational, rampage.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Current avatar by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Dunno what that word means either.
    That would be, in part, the definition of being a philistine.

    Day 520: Draw This Again

    Day 2

    Day 520

    (Worked pretty closely to a picture by Cineyaz)

    Time: 1 hour
    Music: Trapped In Stone

    New Playlist! Thanqol Learns To Draw 3!
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-16 at 10:59 PM.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Day 521: Carrion Crawler

    This thing looks and reads like an escapee from a H novel, seriously.

    Not a full application but tired in the brain right now.

    Links

    Time: 30 minutes
    Music: Oh, Celestia
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female2Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 521: Carrion Crawler

    This thing looks and reads like an escapee from a H novel, seriously.

    Not a full application but tired in the brain right now.

    Links

    Time: 30 minutes
    Music: Oh, Celestia
    Carrion Crawler be creepin'.

    I clicked on this thread to see what you'd posted, and it hit me why Vulcan appeals to me. She's human. (or not, but whatever, I think you know what I mean). She's not posing heroically, or fighting off scores of monsters. She looks like she's never done those things, may never do those things, may never want to do those things, but she'll be someone important someday.

    I dunno. I guess the chainsawgun-wielding super-muscled perfect heroes never appealed to me. I'd rather have someone with flaws, and the look on her face says she has flaws, but gets past them.
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

    Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

  17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by nersxe View Post
    Carrion Crawler be creepin'.

    I clicked on this thread to see what you'd posted, and it hit me why Vulcan appeals to me. She's human. (or not, but whatever, I think you know what I mean). She's not posing heroically, or fighting off scores of monsters. She looks like she's never done those things, may never do those things, may never want to do those things, but she'll be someone important someday.

    I dunno. I guess the chainsawgun-wielding super-muscled perfect heroes never appealed to me. I'd rather have someone with flaws, and the look on her face says she has flaws, but gets past them.
    That's a good sentiment. Thank you.

    I promise I'll get in more drawings of her soon; I've got a fairly easy weekend coming up and I'm going to try this new technique (three level sketching I'm calling it) for some pure design work.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  18. - Top - End - #348
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female2Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Cool. Looking forward to it.
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

    Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

  19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Day 522: Vulcan Design Work #1

    Nothing here is remotely indicative of anything other than a bunch of curiosity experiments on my part.

    When designing the collar I started to like the idea of a rather bulky power/processor section right on the back of the neck, hidden by the hair, and having the visible part slender and smooth.

    Thinking long straight hair but need more investigation.

    The symbols I'm working off are great if you're a vector designer but they're atrocious to do in a callgraphic style

    Links

    Time: 45 mins
    Music: Take To The Sky
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female2Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 522: Vulcan Design Work #1

    Nothing here is remotely indicative of anything other than a bunch of curiosity experiments on my part.

    When designing the collar I started to like the idea of a rather bulky power/processor section right on the back of the neck, hidden by the hair, and having the visible part slender and smooth.

    Thinking long straight hair but need more investigation.

    The symbols I'm working off are great if you're a vector designer but they're atrocious to do in a callgraphic style

    Links

    Time: 45 mins
    Music: Take To The Sky
    Hair: 2, 3, and 5 look good.
    Collar: I like the low-key one.
    Symbols: All look good.

    Do the symbols mean something in-universe?
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

    Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

  21. - Top - End - #351
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Hmm, I'll cast my vote for hairs 2 and 4 (starting at left). Number 3 looks kinda Charger-esque.

    Collar-wise, I like #2 from the left, and my favorite symbol is the one on the far right.

    Also I keep wanting to pester you for more details on Vulcan. But I am trying not to be pester-y.

    >.>
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Day 523: Smiles From Chaos

    This was fun to do. A completely stupid technique if you value making something that looks good, but awesome fun for the pure logic challenge of it. I slapped down a whole lot of paint colours and had to manoeuvre it into a finished Pinkie Pie

    Thanqol's First GIF! Also the first time I've drawn Pinkie I'm pretty sure.



    ... inspired by a dream

    Time: 2 hours
    Music: Over My Head
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-20 at 06:41 AM.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  23. - Top - End - #353
    Orc in the Playground
     
    Colonel Fedora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Pinkie Pie
    WOO! Pinkie Pie! Also, was it a fun dream?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Every time someone presses the quote button on one of my posts I steal a very small part of their soul.
    Avatar by me

    I have a Tumblr now. So that's cool.

  24. - Top - End - #354
    Troll in the Playground
     
    TheAmishPirate's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    I could stare at that gif for hours...

    Question! Did you ever get around to doing a fully-fledged dragon-puppy/Kobold?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    We're like the weeping angels from Doctor Who, except with cuddling and friendship instead of horrible death. Don't look away.
    Returned from Japan, but blog and pictures are still here!

  25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by nersxe View Post
    Hair: 2, 3, and 5 look good.
    Collar: I like the low-key one.
    Symbols: All look good.

    Do the symbols mean something in-universe?
    They're variations on the Mage: The Awakening symbols; first two mean 'Matter', 3 is Matter-Making, 4 is Matter-Unmaking. See them all here

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Hmm, I'll cast my vote for hairs 2 and 4 (starting at left). Number 3 looks kinda Charger-esque.

    Collar-wise, I like #2 from the left, and my favorite symbol is the one on the far right.

    Also I keep wanting to pester you for more details on Vulcan. But I am trying not to be pester-y.

    >.>
    Vulcan is still being developed mentally. In the intrem, think a really cynical Rarity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    WOO! Pinkie Pie! Also, was it a fun dream?
    It was more like an intellectual challenge, seeing pink emerge from chaos and imagining how I'd do it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    I could stare at that gif for hours...

    Question! Did you ever get around to doing a fully-fledged dragon-puppy/Kobold?
    Not yet and totally forgot! D: Here's my To Do list in no particular order:

    - Lyra on a couch for Anarion
    - Faceless Prince
    - Monster Manual challenge
    - Kobold
    - Mastering three-step sketching
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    They're variations on the Mage: The Awakening symbols; first two mean 'Matter', 3 is Matter-Making, 4 is Matter-Unmaking. See them all here
    Totally bookmarking that!

    Vulcan is still being developed mentally. In the intrem, think a really cynical Rarity.
    Color me intrigued. Is she a drama queen as well?

    Also, she's a Moros yes? Any dots in Death, or is she heavily pushing Matter? I know Thaumium was on the list.

    It was more like an intellectual challenge, seeing pink emerge from chaos and imagining how I'd do it.
    Now that I think about it, Pinkie emerging from chaos is kind of fitting, in its own way...
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Avatar by Aruius

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

  27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Color me intrigued. Is she a drama queen as well?
    Not as much. Far more methodical, calculating and restrained. More stuff as soon as Anarion gets an IC thread up.

    Also, she's a Moros yes? Any dots in Death, or is she heavily pushing Matter? I know Thaumium was on the list.
    Matter all the way. Matter 3 / Mind 2 / Death 1.

    Now that I think about it, Pinkie emerging from chaos is kind of fitting, in its own way...
    Chaos knows it's own.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female2Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Matter all the way. Matter 3 / Mind 2 / Death 1.
    I played Vampire 'til I knew everything forwards and back, but my group never really got into Mage. I'm assuming all that is self-explanatory? (as in, matter is stuff you manipulate in the real world, mind is stuff you manipulate in headspace, and death is... well. Killing stuff.).
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

    Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

  29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by nersxe View Post
    I played Vampire 'til I knew everything forwards and back, but my group never really got into Mage. I'm assuming all that is self-explanatory? (as in, matter is stuff you manipulate in the real world, mind is stuff you manipulate in headspace, and death is... well. Killing stuff.).
    In my opinion, Mage is by far and away the best RPG I've ever played and I can talk about it forever. However the Mage core book is atrociously written - the system it contains is fantastic but it's presented in a mouth-wateringly dry way. It has to be read in conjunction with several sourcebooks and an open mind in order to really get it. But when you do, it's worth it.

    Matter gives me control over any material which is not alive. At Matter 3, Vulcan can enchant a bank vault door so it shatters with a single kick, transform any solid into any other solid, and combine any set of items into a single thing - a car with concealed machine guns and remote control, for example.

    Matter is fantastic, and all the Arcanum have similarly broad applications and utilities. I'll post a link to Vulcan's sheet when it goes up.
    Nothing but a grim echo of a horse; a shell of an equine concept.

  30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    MindFlayer

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Gender
    Female2Male

    Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    In my opinion, Mage is by far and away the best RPG I've ever played and I can talk about it forever. However the Mage core book is atrociously written - the system it contains is fantastic but it's presented in a mouth-wateringly dry way. It has to be read in conjunction with several sourcebooks and an open mind in order to really get it. But when you do, it's worth it.

    Matter gives me control over any material which is not alive. At Matter 3, Vulcan can enchant a bank vault door so it shatters with a single kick, transform any solid into any other solid, and combine any set of items into a single thing - a car with concealed machine guns and remote control, for example.

    Matter is fantastic, and all the Arcanum have similarly broad applications and utilities. I'll post a link to Vulcan's sheet when it goes up.
    Crazy. I had a few friends try to get through the Mage corebook, and a good friend of mine swears by the system... but I dunno, I guess I'm too used to playing with powergamers to want to play that system. They'd seek-and-exploit loopholes while I was sleeping, or something.

    Powergamers don't sleep. They plot.
    Spoiler: I got a cookie!
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Baveboi View Post
    Nersxe gets a cookie.

    Spoiler: I write
    Show
    The Named, a superhero webnovel where names are everything. (Updated 3/14/14)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •