New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

Not sure if you've seen this, but it was quite inspiring for me:

Drawing Like a Painter
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

2. - Top - End - #452
    Colossus in the Playground

To the left of the USB plug adapter, is that a bookmark light?
    It's actually a weird coat hanger.

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post

Drawing Like a Painter
    Will watch later!

Day 558: napkin.jpg

It looked like I wouldn't be getting home until after midnight earlier today, so as a precautionary measure I made a quick sketch on a napkin so I wouldn't fail the challenge.

I got home a little earlier than expected so I'll do some sketchbook practise (gesture drawings!), but I'll make the napkin my upload for the day.

Links

Time: 79 seconds
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-11-23 at 04:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Bugbear in the Playground

Seeing that the above post lacks suitable theme music I...decided to try to find some.

Here!

It makes me think of energetic ponies and scenery.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-11-23 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Softer Version

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, another thing that springs to mind. I've found that there are quite a few digital artists who favor taping a piece of sketch paper over the working surface of their tablet. The pen will still read through it, and the texture can help to make smooth lines more easily achievable.

I've been trying it out for the last couple days, and it seems to help bridge the sometimes frustrating pencil-tablet divide in terms of line stability. It does have the downside that sweat will distort the paper and pull at the tape, but you may be able to find pre-stretched paper (I think they make that for watercolors) or maybe I just have abnormally sweaty hands.

Anyway, some food for thought.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #455

Drawing Like a Painter
    Ooo, lovely. Gave it a spin today.

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Seeing that the above post lacks suitable theme music I...decided to try to find some.

Here!

It makes me think of energetic ponies and scenery.
    Added to the playlist!

Oh, another thing that springs to mind. I've found that there are quite a few digital artists who favor taping a piece of sketch paper over the working surface of their tablet. The pen will still read through it, and the texture can help to make smooth lines more easily achievable.

I've been trying it out for the last couple days, and it seems to help bridge the sometimes frustrating pencil-tablet divide in terms of line stability. It does have the downside that sweat will distort the paper and pull at the tape, but you may be able to find pre-stretched paper (I think they make that for watercolors) or maybe I just have abnormally sweaty hands.

I tried it, didn't like it. Also, art gloves'll cover you for sweaty hands.

Day 559: Like A Painter

Tried the thing! Partial success.

Links

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Dies Irae

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Ooo, lovely. Gave it a spin today.
    I thought you might like it. That came at around the same time as I was reading some of Scott McCloud's stuff on comics, so I've really been playing with working out how few details can be included and still leave a recognizable and expressive face. So far I've been surprised by how few you can have at times.

I tried it, didn't like it. Also, art gloves'll cover you for sweaty hands.
    Fair enough, wasn't sure if you'd given it a try. I'm still reserving judgement for a few more days.

Day 559: Like A Painter

Tried the thing! Partial success.

Links

Music: Dies Irae
    Huh, I was listening to that exact song a few days ago. Eerie...

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. I found a site linked (by a pony blog artist, I think) that has some interesting stuff. It's basically short video tutorials all done by a guy who's a professional illustrator. You may have run across it before but it's called Ctrl+Paint. I've picked up some useful tidbits from there, particularly about keyboard shortcuts (he uses Photoshop, but I think the general idea is portable) and they've saved me a ton of time that I wouldn't have expected.

Anyway, food for thought when you've got some down time.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-11-24 at 03:31 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #457

Day 560: In Cognisan

Just taking it easy this evening, watching some films and sketching some dudes.

Links

8. - Top - End - #458
    Banned

Drawing Like a Painter
    Queued for later!

It's actually a weird coat hanger.
    Huh.

Day 558: napkin.jpg

It looked like I wouldn't be getting home until after midnight earlier today, so as a precautionary measure I made a quick sketch on a napkin so I wouldn't fail the challenge.

I got home a little earlier than expected so I'll do some sketchbook practise (gesture drawings!), but I'll make the napkin my upload for the day.

Links

Time: 79 seconds
    Legit. I'm actually pretty impressed. Napkins can be jerks.

Hmm...

Well. First order of business is 'find tablet'. Then we can experiment with it.
    Or wait. Sketch paper is pretty translucent and Braz has that touch screen tablet thingy...

Day 560: In Cognisan

Just taking it easy this evening, watching some films and sketching some dudes.

Links
    You've still got some anatomy work to do. This and the structures of some other ones, around the neck area, all seem very "it's a tube of meat between the important and detailed head and torso" ish. Though they are sketches, so who knows? Again, I'd point to the concept of 3-D modeling in your head, in that it's easier to draw 2-D if you have an understanding of it in 3-D, enough to sort of look at it in your brain space.

Lot of stuff there that impressive though, compared to my leel of application. I cannot draw overweight people to save my life, for example. Or even medium weight people. Not the faces.

9. - Top - End - #459

Day 561: Mr. Meade

Today I decided to do something in colour, and I decided that I was inspired by the style of James Lopez. Results were a big hit and I'm looking to do more.

Links

Music: Far Over The Misty Mountains

10. - Top - End - #460
    Titan in the Playground

Ponythread seems to have decided that I am the art-pony, lately.
    Which, given how little I actually do, and the fact that I am following your thread in which you post stuff like Mr Meade there, increasingly reduces me to mildly hysterical laughter.

I mean, one of them wrote a song, in which they suggested that should someone need a drawing they should come to me.

I wonder sometimes just what it is that ponythread is imbibing because it seems pretty medicinal.

Todays entry looks fantastic, Thanqol.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Banned

Today I decided to do something in colour, and I decided that I was inspired by the style of James Lopez. Results were a big hit and I'm looking to do more.

Links

Music: Far Over The Misty Mountains
    Holy smokes you drew that? I thought it was a commission!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Which, given how little I actually do, and the fact that I am following your thread in which you post stuff like Mr Meade there, increasingly reduces me to mildly hysterical laughter.

I mean, one of them wrote a song, in which they suggested that should someone need a drawing they should come to me.

I wonder sometimes just what it is that ponythread is imbibing because it seems pretty medicinal.

Thanqol is consistently inconsistent on whether he'll take commissions. You're an affable fellow. And I don't think there's a human word for the exact chemical cocktail but we changelingsPerfectly Ordinary Ponies exude as an aerosol.

12. - Top - End - #462

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post

Thank you very much, I appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Holy smokes you drew that? I thought it was a commission!
    =D

Thanqol is consistently inconsistent on whether he'll take commissions.
    I think Day 1000 before I accept money in exchange for art. Until then I'm far more in favour of art trades.

13. - Top - End - #463

Hey, that's pretty good! It makes me think of Japan, but their clothes are never so loose.

Must work on: eye-brow lines and collar width.

The shadows are good as are the shapes. Very... Hm. I'm not sure what the style is called. But it's not bad at all.

And I don't think there's a human word for the exact chemical cocktail [...]
    But it's definitely an opiate.

Also, "Hi, Siuis!"

14. - Top - End - #464

Hey, that's pretty good! It makes me think of Japan, but their clothes are never so loose.

Must work on: eye-brow lines and collar width.

The shadows are good as are the shapes. Very... Hm. I'm not sure what the style is called. But it's not bad at all.
    Thank you!

Day 562: Mrs. Zapata

A more original composition in the same style. Liking it so far!

Links

Time: 1.5 hours
    Music: On A Good Day

15. - Top - End - #465
    Titan in the Playground

Thanqol is consistently inconsistent on whether he'll take commissions. You're an affable fellow. And I don't think there's a human word for the exact chemical cocktail but we changelingsPerfectly Ordinary Ponies exude as an aerosol.
    To my memory, you're the only person who's ever asked for a picture. Thanqol has been asked for more even just from Ponythread, I'd be willing to bet.

I think Day 1000 before I accept money in exchange for art. Until then I'm far more in favour of art trades.
    I think by day 1000 you'll be able to charge a decent sum should you choose to, by the looks of things.

16. - Top - End - #466

Day 563: Matters of the Soul

I went to a Theosophy meeting the other day. It was exactly what I imagined a Consillium meeting full of Mages to be. And then a Silver Ladder mystic talked us through some astounding illustrations of the soul.

I decided to quickly produce some pictures of a similar theme for my Skyscraper Graveyard game. I actually did about 10 of these this evening but I'll leave most of them for the game. For now, have a diagram of Errant's soul.

Links

Music: 867-5309

17. - Top - End - #467

Day 563: Matters of the Soul
    ...it...kind of looks like some-one sipped too much cough medicine before painting Easter Eggs...

I suppose it would help if I knew what I was looking at. I'm not an art critic. ( yucky face )

And...um...it's spelled with only one L, Thanqol. ( blink ) Concilium; consilium; consulatio...

...I'm not a Latin major either. Sorry to bring it up.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ettin in the Playground

The crazed patterns represent the chaos and indecision that swamps his life. The blue of order and logic shines through, but it is merely an acompaniement to the red of hatred and the green of jealousy. The patterns resemble writing, hinting at once ordered thoughts now permanently skewed beyond understanding.

See, we can analyse anything and come up with anything. Being an art critic is easy.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

19. - Top - End - #469
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    The crazed patterns represent the chaos and indecision that swamps his life. The blue of order and logic shines through, but it is merely an acompaniement to the red of hatred and the green of jealousy. The patterns resemble writing, hinting at once ordered thoughts now permanently skewed beyond understanding.

See, we can analyse anything and come up with anything. Being an art critic is easy.
    Well, knowing a thing or two about Errant, I think that the colors and patterns have far more concrete symbolism. Actually, now that I think about it, would Turing see that with Soul Marks up?

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #470

And...um...it's spelled with only one L, Thanqol. ( blink ) Concilium; consilium; consulatio...

...I'm not a Latin major either. Sorry to bring it up.
    Thank you, I get that word wrong embarrassingly frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post

See, this is why I didn't include a meaning key

Well, knowing a thing or two about Errant, I think that the colors and patterns have far more concrete symbolism. Actually, now that I think about it, would Turing see that with Soul Marks up?
    Soul Marks shows you the black marks, which represent fairly extensive soul damage.

21. - Top - End - #471

Day 564: Abort LP

I was gonna do a FTL LP. I had stuffed planned out and everything. But then I met Image Upload Drama and I decided it just wasn't worth the time spent coding all the words properly.

So have the portraits; perhaps they will see use someday.

Spoiler
    Show

Time: 3 hours
    Music: To The Stars

22. - Top - End - #472

Day 564: Abort LP
    Hm. Normal-Mode Thanqol, I think. They're all decent in one form or another. Not spectacular, but okay.

They remind me of a set of portraits for a space-like game. The last one looks particularly Vorlon. The smile on the human-like one is amusing.

Just some thoughts. I"m sorry that there was drama.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

Even art trades with people who are completely horrible at drawing? >_>

24. - Top - End - #474

Hm. Normal-Mode Thanqol, I think. They're all decent in one form or another. Not spectacular, but okay.
    They were designed to be reduced to 100x100px, and I think they look really good at that size.

They remind me of a set of portraits for a space-like game. The last one looks particularly Vorlon. The smile on the human-like one is amusing.

Just some thoughts. I"m sorry that there was drama.
    They are for a space game, and the last one was deliberately Vorlon!

S'cool. I just couldn't be bothered spending more than an hour encoding jpegs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    Even art trades with people who are completely horrible at drawing? >_>
    Doesn't have to be a drawing!

25. - Top - End - #475
    Troll in the Playground

Doesn't have to be a drawing!
    Interpretive dance-off?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #476

Interpretive dance-off?
    Weirder things are happening.

Day 565: Jayden Explains Sympathetic Connections

Ten minute doodle to explain a concept.

Links

Time: 10m
    Music: Macarena

27. - Top - End - #477

Day 565a: Mr. Edgeworth

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #478

Day 566: Extrappropriate Headgear

Far Cry 3 is good. Between that and work couldn't spare much brain today. Here's a thing.

Links

Time: 15 mins
    Music: Play With Fire
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-11-30 at 12:42 AM.

29. - Top - End - #479

Day 567: Bees. My God.

Today I should have done a crappy sketch. Instead, have a sketchy painting!

Tutorial challenge was to paint something in a different hue scheme, so have red batman. Also worked entirely through hand-mixed colours. A nice challenge.

Links

Time: 45 minutes
    Music: Swinga Da Plot

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

So, say, what would you want from a certain underground plate based automaton...!