New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

Day 577: The Boid

Pen and paper scrawl AMIRIGHT

Links

2. - Top - End - #512

Day 578: Centaur

To be honest, this topic was why I picked up the Monster Manual challenge in the first place.

Centaurs! Still plenty of work to be done here but no more time left today.

Links

Time: 35 minutes
    Music: Tooi Yume

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 578: Centaur

To be honest, this topic was why I picked up the Monster Manual challenge in the first place.

Centaurs! Still plenty of work to be done here but no more time left today.

Links

Time: 35 minutes
    Music: Tooi Yume
    And so all things return to pony. Kind of.

Looks good, although the arms might be a hair large.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

4. - Top - End - #514

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    And so all things return to pony. Kind of.

Looks good, although the arms might be a hair large.
    *Nod*

Day 579: Ultra Fast Pony

Slammed this out in 20 minutes to impress some kids. It's not all it could be. Probably going to do more stuff today.

Links

Time: 20 minutes
    Music: Iron Will Vs Zecora

5. - Top - End - #515
    Bugbear in the Playground

Day 579: Ultra Fast Pony
    ...but why does she look so mean~?!

...this person is once again impressed by Thanqol's abilities with sketches and paints.

6. - Top - End - #516

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    ...but why does she look so mean~?!

...this person is once again impressed by Thanqol's abilities with sketches and paints.
    And now for something with actual effort put in!

Day 580: Cleans Up Real Nice

Stephanie Khoyshekh does not do formal willingly.

Links

Time: 2 Hours
    Music: On My Way To Heaven

7. - Top - End - #517

Day 580: Cleans Up Real Nice
    ...improvement. Much closer to Thanqol's best works. The shadows are placed very well. Some of them are a bit more...thick or dark than perhaps they should be. Not sure which at the moment. The lines are neat and smooth. The reflection of light in the eyes is always welcome to see. Good job there.

The expression on the face... Well... Choice of style, I guess. Not all characters can be calm at all moments, I suppose.

...still kind of entranced by orange irises~...

Music: On My Way To Heaven

8. - Top - End - #518

...improvement. Much closer to Thanqol's best works. The shadows are placed very well. Some of them are a bit more...thick or dark than perhaps they should be. Not sure which at the moment. The lines are neat and smooth. The reflection of light in the eyes is always welcome to see. Good job there.

The expression on the face... Well... Choice of style, I guess. Not all characters can be calm at all moments, I suppose.

...still kind of entranced by orange irises~...

Glad it was a good one!

Day 580a: RaMen

Because I didn't have time to finish this really cool idea I had yet. Barely worth clicking on, just uploading this for my own psychological stability.

Links

9. - Top - End - #519

Day 581: Marchande's Mask

Request of Raz_Fox

Links

Time: 2 hours
    Music: Sweet Child Of Mine
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-15 at 06:31 AM.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Say, Thanqol, my boy, is there a special reason none of their mouths are actually where a mouth should be? (Horizontal on the lower half of the face, yo.)

[/drivebycritic]
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ettin in the Playground

Sweet Child o' Mine? Well, that's not music I'd ever associated with Marchande - and now I can't help but wonder if there's some hidden symbolism there, or if you just sat down and said, "I'm listening to this tonight, and no one can stop me, ahahahahahahaha!"

Since I haven't made an OOC post yet, let me just say that you made her youthful, and this surprised me right up until I realized you had her right, and the visage of the saluki was making me imagine her mask older than it has any right to be. It's an excellent adaptation artist who sees things that the original creators do not.

Also, I spirited your burnt offering up to Olympus, greatly pleased by your piety. Only, in this case, the picture is the burnt offering, and Olympus is my picture folder.

Since you are in a pony-drawing mood, I believe that I will take you up on that offer of an avatar. I would really like to see a Rarity, Twilight, or Celestia avatar, in a style reflecting my inner Razocity. Razinity? Razanity? Maybe Noir Rarity, I dunno. Rarity is the best pony, Twilight is, like, my pony zodiac sign, and Celestia is the best princess.

Is that too open-ended?
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

12. - Top - End - #522

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Say, Thanqol, my boy, is there a special reason none of their mouths are actually where a mouth should be? (Horizontal on the lower half of the face, yo.)

[/drivebycritic]
    I don't fully understand what you're saying here?

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Sweet Child o' Mine? Well, that's not music I'd ever associated with Marchande - and now I can't help but wonder if there's some hidden symbolism there, or if you just sat down and said, "I'm listening to this tonight, and no one can stop me, ahahahahahahaha!"
    That's how I pick all my Learns to Draw music.

Since I haven't made an OOC post yet, let me just say that you made her youthful, and this surprised me right up until I realized you had her right, and the visage of the saluki was making me imagine her mask older than it has any right to be. It's an excellent adaptation artist who sees things that the original creators do not.

Also, I spirited your burnt offering up to Olympus, greatly pleased by your piety. Only, in this case, the picture is the burnt offering, and Olympus is my picture folder.
    Welcome!

Since you are in a pony-drawing mood, I believe that I will take you up on that offer of an avatar. I would really like to see a Rarity, Twilight, or Celestia avatar, in a style reflecting my inner Razocity. Razinity? Razanity? Maybe Noir Rarity, I dunno. Rarity is the best pony, Twilight is, like, my pony zodiac sign, and Celestia is the best princess.

Is that too open-ended?
    Noir Rarity. I'll see what I can do.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't fully understand what you're saying here?
    Lemme illustrate: Image

Don't do the Penny Arcade thing where their mouths are constantly dislodged from their proper position and crammed into the top left of their faces, is what i'm saying. Keep your proportions proper.

(I continue to follow your progress from the shadows, even if i don't post here often. ;P )
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

14. - Top - End - #524

Lemme illustrate: Image

Don't do the Penny Arcade thing where their mouths are constantly dislodged from their proper position and crammed into the top left of their faces, is what i'm saying. Keep your proportions proper.

(I continue to follow your progress from the shadows, even if i don't post here often. ;P )
    ???????

Spoiler
    Show

That doesn't look right at all.

I'll give you the suit collar/sizes, I strayed a bit far from my sketch there. But the mouth change puts it straight into the uncanny valley.

The ear was deliberately meant to hidden; it was in the reference shot I used.

15. - Top - End - #525

...the original image is not a straight-on, level, shot. The face, but not the head, appears to be tilted which justifies the original position of the mouth. Associated to that are the discrepancies in eye ball sizes and shape. What's happening is that changing one, and not the other, makes the image look odd.

Still, I also noted that the top line of the mouth in the original image seemed...hm...a little more flat than perhaps it should... A person's smile isn't parallel with its-self.

...but then again what do I know? It's better than some others I could name...
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-12-15 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Refining The Text

16. - Top - End - #526

...the original image is not a straight-on, level, shot. The face, but not the head, appears to be tilted which justifies the original position of the mouth. Associated to that are the discrepancies in eye ball sizes and shape. What's happening is that changing one, and not the other, makes the image look odd.

Still, I also noted that the top line of the mouth in the original image seemed...hm...a little more flat than perhaps it should... A person's smile isn't parallel with its-self.

...but then again what do I know? It's better than some others I could name...
    *Nod nod* I'll try to keep this in mind.

Day 582: Spider Man Reboot

Cartoonist Aaron Diaz did this sketch of his Spider Man redesign.

Instantly I knew it was my duty to create my own version of it.

Links

Time: 45 minutes
    Music: Neil Gaiman's Awesome Speech You Should All Listen To
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-12-15 at 11:31 PM.

17. - Top - End - #527

Day 582: Spider Man Reboot
    [...]
    Instantly I knew it was my duty to create my own version of it.
    I'm sorry... I can't resist...

"Look! A new admission to L.U.T.A.S.!"

Execution of Thanqol's version is superior to the original.
    Last edited by Story Time; 2012-12-15 at 11:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

???????

Spoiler
    Show

That doesn't look right at all.

I'll give you the suit collar/sizes, I strayed a bit far from my sketch there. But the mouth change puts it straight into the uncanny valley.

The ear was deliberately meant to hidden; it was in the reference shot I used.
    You're right, that doesn't look right at all. You did it wrong by extending the lower lip too hard and not taking the head tilt into account. (Also, the ear is not fully hidden, given its location.)

Spoiler
    Show

Side note: Those eyes are of significantly different size... you only make the eye that's further away thinner, not generally smaller. It becoming shorter is a matter of distance, which is usually not that high on a face.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #529

You're right, that doesn't look right at all. You did it wrong by extending the lower lip too hard and not taking the head tilt into account. (Also, the ear is not fully hidden, given its location.)

Spoiler
    Show
    That looks EVEN CREEPIER

Side note: Those eyes are of significantly different size... you only make the eye that's further away thinner, not generally smaller. It becoming shorter is a matter of distance, which is usually not that high on a face.
    Oooooh.

20. - Top - End - #530

Day 583: Celestira

Experimental thing. Some fundamental design aspects were incorrect and tweaking got me nowhere so I'm shelving this today and will come back tomorrow.

Links

Time: 50 minutes
    Music: Proud To Be A Brony

21. - Top - End - #531
    Ettin in the Playground

I assume it's stained glass?

A few points to keep in mind..
    Assuming the black lines represent the lead joins, the eye due to the physical properties of glass and how it's crafted make it physically impossible. It would have to be painted on.
    Secondly, large areas are best subdivided into smaller segments as large pieces are almost impossible to make without them shattering. I suggest using thinner lines to do that so as to preserve the image.
    And there was a third point that was supposed to go here... Something to do with colours and how hard it is to do different ones uses natural mineral pigments... But it does pay to mention that the craftsmen tried for vivid colours as that was what the people paying them favoured and it best showed their expertise.
    Finally, a background of either clear glass or blue would be a better choice.

Of course, if it this isn't supposed to be stained glass and instead something else, then this is completely useless to you.
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-12-17 at 09:19 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post

Assuming the black lines represent the lead joins, the eye due to the physical properties of glass and how it's crafted make it physically impossible. It would have to be painted on.
    Secondly, large areas are best subdivided into smaller segments as large pieces are almost impossible to make without them shattering. I suggest using thinner lines to do that so as to preserve the image.
    And there was a third point that was supposed to go here... Something to do with colours and how hard it is to do different ones uses natural mineral pigments... But it does pay to mention that the craftsmen tried for vivid colours as that was what the people paying them favoured and it best showed their expertise.

Of course, if it this isn't supposed to be stained glass and instead something else, then this is completely useless to you.
    Allow me to interject;
    Spoiler
    Show

But, no, seriously, I'm not really getting stained glass from that, necessarily.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Allow me to interject;
    Spoiler
    Show

But, no, seriously, I'm not really getting stained glass from that, necessarily.
    Yes. There is magic in their world. But that's discriminatory against Earth Pony and Pegasus craftsindividuals.

Also, I know what you mean. But on the off-chance that is was stained glass, I decided to go all in and actually offer advice for once.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

24. - Top - End - #534

I wasn't actually going for a stained glass piece, but this has made me want to do a stained glass piece! Thanks!

Day 584: Update.jpg

Redo of a thing

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Butterfly

25. - Top - End - #535

"No, I don't think it was Vidal Sassoon. Was the seal still in place?

"Oh. Well, I wouldn't trust that room-mate any-more, then."

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground

I wasn't actually going for a stained glass piece, but this has made me want to do a stained glass piece! Thanks!
    I am not sure if that is sarcastic thanks or sincere thanks.
    I shall assume it is the latter.

You're welcome.

Dragons!

27. - Top - End - #537
    Dwarf in the Playground

Day 584: Update.jpg

Redo of a thing

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Butterfly

I thank you! It's wonderful and completely unexpected!

You're awesome!

28. - Top - End - #538

I am not sure if that is sarcastic thanks or sincere thanks.
    I shall assume it is the latter.

You're welcome.
    Sincere!

Quote Originally Posted by Bakuel View Post
    I thank you! It's wonderful and completely unexpected!

You're awesome!
    I'm very glad you like it =D

Day 585: Cracklebolt

What, another ATG already?

Links

Time: 2 hours
    Music: Extreme Ways

29. - Top - End - #539

Day 586: Ponesters

Drew some ponies!

Links

Time: 30 minutes
    Music: Bold Doherty

30. - Top - End - #540

Day 587: Comic Challenge

Holy sweet gravy, comic composition is way harder than I thought.

SiuiS challenged me to make a comic. I'm shooting for Dresden Codak style interesting comic layouts, and they're really, really hard. However, I think that in terms of composition this one really works. I'm super glad I didn't do this in grid boxes as was my first instinct. I followed my tutorials and remembered all my framing rules and they paid off huge.

Don't get too picky on the sketches, it's a first pass and composition focused. Based off a fight scene Stephanie recently had.

Links

Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
    Music: Against the Tide