New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Thanqol Learns 2 Draw: Every Step Is The First

Day 687: Howdy

Slow day at work, so I drew this over 20 minutes. All pen, no undersketch, no reference, on a 10cmx40cm strip of paper. Surprisingly good result for what it is.

Some other misc work towards yesterday's piece.

Links

2. - Top - End - #752

Day 688: Comet Across Blue

Aw, I kinda like this how it is. I'm not sure how adding a big dragon would improve the picture here.

Links

Time: 45 Minutes
    Music: Gay Bar (EDIT: Fixed version. Who the hell censors 'war'?)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-04-01 at 07:34 AM.

3. - Top - End - #753

Day 689

4. - Top - End - #754
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Day 689

Umm...what?
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

5. - Top - End - #755

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    Umm...what?
    Flyingchicken posted this.

6. - Top - End - #756

Day 690: Hubris

Learn from the best, right?

WIP

Links

Time: 1 hour
    Music: Celestia's Ballad

7. - Top - End - #757
    Bugbear in the Playground

GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN WHAT IS THAT
    (Un?)official ponythread element of airships.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Firbolg in the Playground

Very impressive to keep doing this for so long.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #759

Quote Originally Posted by Maxtronaut View Post
    GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN WHAT IS THAT
    A buttmonster.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Very impressive to keep doing this for so long.
    I'm just gettin' started.

Day 691: Enclave

Been playing a lot of New Vegas. Tried to come up with a decent Enclave armour design.

I'm planning on doing a lot more sketching over the next few days, barring Things Happening.

Links

Time: 40m various stuff
    Music: Back To Mad

10. - Top - End - #760
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm just gettin' started.
    No, when I said it in the first thread, you were just getting started.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

11. - Top - End - #761

Day 692: Hobgobbos

The whims of the day lead me to the dungeonworld thing request. I started by doing some sketches of these nazi-hobgoblin dudes.

I had no idea how to make a chainsaw made out of drills not absurd, so I just went for the absurdest possible realisation of the concept.

Yo guy, this a reasonable direction?

Links

Time: ~40m various sketching
    Music: Good Girl (Remix)

12. - Top - End - #762
    Orc in the Playground

Well, the setting has Highlander-inspired Beholders and Anne Rice-inspired wig-wearing Mindflayers*, so I would not consider ridiculousness much of a problem.

But it's a good start, especially on the weapon, though I'd suggest perhaps making the handle of the polearm/drill/chainsaw look something like a rifle, and adding some barbs to the drills to allow for a greater "grip" as they pass by. I'm thinking of them as wallcutting/digging tools as well as weapons, so you know where I'm coming from.

*I haven't written those up, but they're coming, I swear!

13. - Top - End - #763
    Ogre in the Playground

Yo, Thanqol! So, I have an art request, if you have the time and/or inclination.

The character is a black tabby catfolk (not a catgirl, like a nekomimi, an actual catfolk, with fur and everything). She's a gunslinger, dual-wielding double-barreled pistols. She's also a thief of time, stealing little extra bits of time to use for herself, so that should be represented there. She has long hair in a ponytail, fitting black with lighter streaks like her fur.

She has a tricorn hat, a pair of softpaw boots (boots specifically made for catfolk to make them more stealthy, because they're digitigrade), and a bandana scarf (like some cowboys in those western films). She also has a bandolier (possibly two, not sure which looks better). Obviously she wears a longcoat, lined with leather on the inside for armor. It's like what the British redcoats wore, only blue (an apt metaphor, since the setting is very reminiscent of colonial America). It also has a golden eagle on each shoulder. It's a little worn out, but it's been touched up with some small souvenirs, and some ribbons or frills to make it look less masculine and show off oh hey, a lady gunman!

The shirt is like one of those button-up shirts from Victorian times, and the pants are ... whatever fits. She has a pair of gloves, thin and flexible but protective. Slender, but sturdy, probably leather. Finally, she has a bit of Stockholm Syndrome for her former owner (she used to be a slave/pet), so maybe she still has something of his or of his ownership of her.

In short, it's kinda like a dolled-up colonial soldier, with a heavy wild wild west influence.
    Last edited by Hawkflight; 2013-04-05 at 05:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

14. - Top - End - #764

Quote Originally Posted by tbok1992 View Post
    Well, the setting has Highlander-inspired Beholders and Anne Rice-inspired wig-wearing Mindflayers*, so I would not consider ridiculousness much of a problem.

But it's a good start, especially on the weapon, though I'd suggest perhaps making the handle of the polearm/drill/chainsaw look something like a rifle, and adding some barbs to the drills to allow for a greater "grip" as they pass by. I'm thinking of them as wallcutting/digging tools as well as weapons, so you know where I'm coming from.

*I haven't written those up, but they're coming, I swear!
    Barbed drills. 0.o

Day 693: The Rejects

Continuing sketches, this time with designs for your adventuring party.

Since you have used the words 'attractive' and 'anglerfish' in the same sentence I'm going to assume you don't know what one or both of those words mean.

Links

Time: 25 minutes
    Music: Fig Jam

15. - Top - End - #765
    Orc in the Playground

Since you have used the words 'attractive' and 'anglerfish' in the same sentence I'm going to assume you don't know what one or both of those words mean.
    Well, actually, I think you did a pretty good job for the most part with her. I just would like the eyes somewhat bigger and more expressive (to make her a bit more relatable), though still pupil-less and angler fish-y, and her "hair" would be likely to actually be bioluminescent feelers with lights at the end for when yo ucolor it, but other than that, yeah, I think you've got the "attractive," "anglerfish-y" and "Built like a brick $%&#house" parts down.

The rest of the motley crew is great too, especially the Thri-Keen, though I'm not sure which one is the elf and which is the Changeling.

And on the "Sexy anglerfish" thing, I've been on the internet long enough to know that you can make anything into a sexy monstergirl. I've seen enough "sexy Xenomorph" art to be assured of that (Though oddly little on Geiger's actual sexy alien, Sil).

I have seen sexy fanart of Ro-Man and the aliens from The Deadly Spawn. Hell, have you not heard of Thri-Keen Erotica? (NSFW for obvious reasons). The internet will turn any monster it loves into a monstergirl, logic be damned.

16. - Top - End - #766

for when yo ucolor it,
    Just to be clear, it's unlikely that I'm going to colour a picture with 14 or more dudes in it. The reason is because I'll take this as an opportunity to experiment rather than make a good picture and the effects will be inconsistent. Black and white with pencil shading is what you're looking at.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Orc in the Playground

Ah. I understand. I can't really draw all that well (Perspective is my biggest problem), so I can only dream of the difficulty in actually drawing something well. But regardless, it's a good start, and I cant' complain about free art.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Banned

Day 687: Howdy

Slow day at work, so I drew this over 20 minutes. All pen, no undersketch, no reference, on a 10cmx40cm strip of paper. Surprisingly good result for what it is.

Some other misc work towards yesterday's piece.

Links
    Oh, so you're employed again? Or still?

Your book collection makes me sad. I don't have one anymore.

Day 689

Is that an octopus wearing a sentient Fluttershy mask?

That is a god damned masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    No, when I said it in the first thread, you were just getting started.
    oh, no. In about ten threads, when Thanqol is nearing his five year anniversary, he'll just be getting started.

Infinite Becoming.

19. - Top - End - #769

Ah. I understand. I can't really draw all that well (Perspective is my biggest problem), so I can only dream of the difficulty in actually drawing something well. But regardless, it's a good start, and I cant' complain about free art.
    Dude, if this thread is a monument to one thing, it's that all you need is love practise.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Oh, so you're employed again? Or still?
    Just part time, still.

Is that an octopus wearing a sentient Fluttershy mask?
    Something like that. Ask him.

Day 694: The Old World

New Vegas was brilliant. Finally finished it.

I played through it before, but I didn't finish it. I didn't think about it. I didn't realise what was really going on, the real debate. What started as an arbitrary decision to join Caesar's Legion to see the other side of the game turned into a deep philosophical realisation of how that was the right choice.

The reason why? For all it's terrible, murderous evil the Legion was not hypocritical. The NCR was corrupt. It was formed on corrupt grounds and followed a corrupt ideology and corruption ran all through it. By trying to recreate pre-War America, the NCR aped the forms of democracy and justice while not following them. Prisoners are summarily executed because there are no prisons. Power collects around wealthy rulers because that's what happens when no one stops it. It was the same mistakes all over again, a house built on (shady) sand.

The Legion had a purity to it. It was alien. It was cruel. It was the utter eradication of all foreign influences. It was Caesar's attempt to change humanity itself. Wiping away individualism and starting again at the bloody beginning. The NCR was skipping a step, bypassing the transition from savagery to hierarchy by creating a savage hierarchy. You could see the signs of the NCR's fall by it's propaganda posters, demonising the Legion, just as the demonisation of the Communists lead to the War.

So have this little piece of the Old World

Links

Time: 1.5 hours
    Music: A guy yelling at ducks for 50 minutes

20. - Top - End - #770
    Titan in the Playground

I guess that's one of the small parts of why I never really made any meaningful progress in that game. The continued brown-on-brown colour pallette combined with grey-on-grey, everyone's corrupt/stupid/evil (choose one) feel of the setting. Probably the least important reason when combined with the bugginess, unprettyness and unmodability of the Xbox version, the confusing landscape, interesting moments of balance and creature design and a plot that failed to hook me at the start. Still, I don't remember feeling any draw to either side. Even less so in fact than Fallout3, which at least had one or two groups who were at vaguely in the right/benevolent by nature.

Love today's flag picture thingy.

21. - Top - End - #771

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    I guess that's one of the small parts of why I never really made any meaningful progress in that game. The continued brown-on-brown colour pallette combined with grey-on-grey, everyone's corrupt/stupid/evil (choose one) feel of the setting. Probably the least important reason when combined with the bugginess, unprettyness and unmodability of the Xbox version, the confusing landscape, interesting moments of balance and creature design and a plot that failed to hook me at the start. Still, I don't remember feeling any draw to either side. Even less so in fact than Fallout3, which at least had one or two groups who were at vaguely in the right/benevolent by nature.

Love today's flag picture thingy.
    Caesar's Legion actively antagonises at the start, and I never considered it an actual option. It's not until you start to get respected by Caesar that he starts telling you his side: That he was a Follower of the Apocalypse, and that his Legion is a deliberate statement of philosophy rather than a power-trip.

As for the NCR, it's role is to be the Federal Government in a game about cowboys. Encroaching on freedom, bringing law and taxes and civilisation. The twist is that the Federal Government failed last time, and reminders of that are in every radiation pocket.

In the game, the maximum-Freedom good-guy option is to give the finger to all sides and declare yourself ruler of New Vegas. In many ways, I feel like that's the intended ending. The game's themes are heavily rooted in isolation, individuality and it's inverse - symbols and collectivism.

22. - Top - End - #772

Day 695: world of dungeons

Okay, started on this but not much time tonight. Complicated. Very basic pattern and shape laying to get everything in and recognisable and with a decent composition. Architecturing it like a book cover.

Elf is a problem. He's so much taller than all the midgets that he looks weird, even kneeling down. Breaks the design line too. Probably will have to redo him or put him way back in the distance.

Anglerpunch came out well.

Dynamic group shots are hard.

Links

Time: 25m
    Music: Aeterno

23. - Top - End - #773

Day 696: Cloakswordmaskguy

muh~

Links

24. - Top - End - #774

Day 697: Approaching Blueline

Just some figures.

Nyah, I've been wanting to draw more sketches like this but I'm low on short-term brainpower. I might jump into a chatroom in the next few days and harvest ideas.

Links

Time: 45m
    Music: The Forest

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 697: Approaching Blueline

Just some figures.

Nyah, I've been wanting to draw more sketches like this but I'm low on short-term brainpower. I might jump into a chatroom in the next few days and harvest ideas.

Links

Time: 45m
    Music: The Forest
    You could always do my request.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate
    Psychology has nothing to say on the courtship of dragons, but science will surely catch up in time.
    Spoiler: Previous Avatars!
    Show

Kitty Lacuna by Kymme

Spoiler: Characters
    Show

26. - Top - End - #776

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkflight View Post
    You could always do my request.
    It's on the list.

Day 698: So What's It Gonna Be?

.oO: Man, this isn't working out. Hair's not doing exactly what I need it to do. Consider scrapping this.

.oO: ... You know, if this is scrapworthy, I really have come a long way.

Just ramming my head up against a possible new hair technique. There are half a dozen layers of paint on this pony's head so far.

On the plus side, what little I did of the coat actually looks nice in places.

Links

Music: Ice Age

27. - Top - End - #777

Day 699: I don't know

i dk lol

Unfinished

Links

Time: 1 hour 45 mins
    Music: Replace

28. - Top - End - #778

Day 699a: that's cool i guess

Finished

Links
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-04-12 at 07:47 AM.

29. - Top - End - #779

Day 700: 9,300 To Go

Thanqol is much like
    The fine music of Disco:
    He will never die

Links

Music: Sleepyhead
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2013-04-13 at 08:00 AM.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Banned

Why the brain drain, me bucko?

Your scrapped hair is fantastic, by the way. You may need to zoom in and use a finer brush (or toss the fine brush entirely) but it's still pretty slick.