New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default [3.5] Shadowdancer base class [PEACH, needs nice things]

Ever since Tome of Magic came out, I've wanted to turn the Shadowdancer into a base class for shadow magic, a sort of Bard to the Shadowcaster's sorcerer. Unfortuantely, doing so has proven...difficult, mostly in trying to keep it distinct from the rogue. The below is where I am, but it needs a lot more stuff before we can consider this even remotely playable.

At the very least I need a capstone ability.

This is totally unconnected to my Rebuild, by the way.

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the shadowdancer class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Shadowdancers are proficient with the club, crossbow (hand, light, or heavy), dagger (any type), dart, mace, morningstar, quarterstaff, rapier, sap, shortbow (normal and composite), and short sword. Shadowdancers are proficient with light armor but not with shields.

Darkvision (Ex): At 1st level, a shadowdancer can see in the dark as though she were permanently under the effect of a darkvision spell.

Fundamentals of Shadow (Su): At 2nd level, a shadowdancer learns a single Fundamental mystery. The shadowdancer can use this Fundamental once per day. In order to use a Fundamental, the shadowdancer must have a Charisma score of 10. The save DC against any fundamental used by the shadowdancer is 10 + ½ the shadowdancer’s class level + the shadowdancer’s Charisma modifier.

At 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th level, the shadowdancer learns an additional Fundamental.

Evasion (Ex): At 3rd level, a shadowdancer gains evasion. If exposed to any effect that normally allows her to attempt a Reflex saving throw for half damage, she takes no damage with a successful saving throw. The evasion ability can only be used if the shadowdancer is wearing light armor or no armor.

Mysteries: At 4th level, the shadowdancer gains the ability to cast a single 1st-level mystery as a spell-like ability. She gains an additional mystery at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 20th levels, and the maximum level of the mystery increases at 7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th levels. A shadowdancer can use each mystery she knows a number of times per day equal to the number of mysteries she knows. So, for example, a 13th level shadowdancer, who knows three mysteries, can use each mystery she knows three times per day.

Unlike shadowcasters, a shadowdancer is not restricted by paths; a shadowcaster can learn any mystery she likes, provided she can learn mysteries of that level.

At 5th level and each level thereafter, the shadowdancer may choose to ‘forget’ a mystery she knows and replace it with another mystery of any level that the shadowcaster has access to.

In order to use a mystery, the shadowdancer must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the mystery’s level. The save DC for a mystery cast by the shadowcaster is 10 + ½ the shadowdancer's level + the shadowdancer’s Charisma modifier.

Shadow Illusion (Sp): When a shadowdancer reaches 4th level, she can create visual illusions. This ability’s effect is identical to that of the arcane spell silent image and may be employed a number of times per day equal to half the Shadowdancer’s level.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 5th level, a shadowdancer retains her Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) regardless of being caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. (She still loses any Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.)

If a character gains uncanny dodge from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge (see below).

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A 7th-level shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow.

Shadow Jump (Su): At 8th level, a shadowdancer gains the ability to travel between shadows as if by means of a dimension door spell. The limitation is that the magical transport must begin and end in an area with at least some shadow. A shadowdancer can jump up to a total of 10 feet each day in this way; additionally, though a shadowdancer my jump a shorter distance than 10 feet, it still consumes her entire 10 feet of shadow jumping. At 10th level and every two levels thereafter, the distance the shadowdancer jumps may doubles. Additionally, starting at 10th level, the shadowdancer may begin to split his jumps up into 10 foot increments; for example, a 10th-level shadowdancer could make a single jump fo 20 feet or two jumps of 10 feet each. Each one, no matter how small, counts as a 10-foot increment.

Summon Shadow (Su): At 9th level, a shadowdancer can summon a shadow, an undead shade. Unlike a normal shadow, this shadow’s alignment matches that of the shadowdancer, and the creature cannot create spawn. The summoned shadow cannot be turned, rebuked, or commanded by any third party. This shadow serves as a companion to the shadowdancer and can communicate intelligibly with the shadowdancer. Every third level gained by the shadowdancer adds +2 HD (and the requisite base attack and base save bonus increases) to her shadow companion.

If a shadow companion is destroyed, or the shadowdancer chooses to dismiss it, the shadowdancer must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude save. If the saving throw fails, the shadowdancer loses 200 experience points per shadowdancer level. A successful saving throw reduces the loss by half, to 100 XP per prestige class level. The shadowdancer’s XP total can never go below 0 as the result of a shadow’s dismissal or destruction. A destroyed or dismissed shadow companion cannot be replaced for 30 days.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 10th level, a shadowdancer can no longer be flanked. This defence denies rogues the ability to use flank attacks to sneak attack the shadowdancer. The exception to this defence is that a rogue at least four levels higher than the shadowdancer can flank her (and thus sneak attack her).

If a character gains uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge, and the levels from those classes stack to determine the minimum rogue level required to flank the character.

Defensive Roll (Ex): Starting at 11th level, once per day, when a shadowdancer would be reduced to 0 hit points or less by damage in combat (from a weapon or other blow, not a spell or special ability), she can attempt to roll with the damage. She makes a Reflex saving throw (DC = damage dealt) and, if successful, takes only half damage from the blow. She must be aware of the attack and able to react to it in order to execute her defensive roll. If she is in a situation that would deny her any Dexterity bonus to AC, she can’t attempt a defensive roll.

One’s Own Shadow (Su): Beginning at 12th level, a shadowdancer may use her own shadow in order to conduct shadow jumps or hide in plain sight.

Slippery Mind (Ex): At 13th level, if a shadowdancer is affected by an enchantment and fails her saving throw, 1 round later she can attempt her saving throw again. She only gets this one extra chance to succeed at her saving throw. If it fails as well, the spell’s effects occur normally.

Supernatural Mysteries: Beginning at 13th level, a shadowdancer’s mysteries become supernatural abilities instead of spell-like abilities.

Improved Evasion (Ex): This ability, gained at 15th level, works like evasion (see above). A shadowdancer takes no damage at all on successful saving throws against attacks that allow a Reflex saving throw for half damage. What’s more, she takes only half damage even if she fails her saving throw.

Night Form (Su): At 16th level, for one minute per day, the shadowdancer can become incorporeal, and gains all the benefits of the incorporeal subtype. She also gains a fly speed of 40 feet, with perfect maneuverability.
    Last edited by Rogue Shadows; 2012-05-22 at 10:57 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Shadowdancer base class [PEACH, needs nice things]

The first thing I'd suggest doing is adding a table. At the moment, we don't know what BAB, HD, Saves, or skills they have.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Up the mysteries known maybe so they get one every even level?

They really could use a capstone.

Also, I'd suggest something that actually fits with the "Dance" motif a bit more. Maybe allow them a certain number of times daily to make a Perform(Dance) check rather than a reflex save (maybe starting at level 3 once a day and going up by 1 every 3 levels) and have them get Dodge as a bonus feat at level 2, and have the bonus to Dodge go up up by 1 for every 4 ranks in Perform(Dance) they have.

17th level is at it stands completely dead- nothing advances, not even saves of BAB. This would be a good time to improve Shadow Jump. Suggested change: at 13th level, let them be able to use Shadow Jump as a move action. At 17th level, remove the restriction from Shadow Jump that comes from Dimension Door that prevents you from taking other actions after using it. This will effectively increase their combat and other abilities quite a bit.

19th and 20th levels still need a bit more. Not sure what to do there.

Also, it may make sense to give them Knowledge(Arcana) and Knowledge(The Planes) as class skills because of their heavier use of magic and connection to shadows.

Overall, I definitely like this class and where it seems to be heading.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2012-05-22 at 11:15 AM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    The first thing I'd suggest doing is adding a table. At the moment, we don't know what BAB, HD, Saves, or skills they have.
    ...can't you see the picture I posted? I don't want to get finicky with the table system this forum has, so I posted the table as an image that I made in MSPaint and then uploaded to tinypic.

I can see it, and JoshuaZ seems to be able to see it...
    Last edited by Rogue Shadows; 2012-05-22 at 11:42 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadows View Post
    ...can't you see the picture I posted? I don't want to get finicky with the table system this forum has, so I posted the table as an image that I made in MSPaint and then uploaded to tinypic.

Huh... I cannot.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadows View Post

They may be accessing on a mobile device which sometimes aren't happy with pictures. That's one reason some people use the table format rather than the imported picture format for tables. Getting the hang of the table format on the forum does take a few minutes, but without understanding it in detail one can generally just snag a copy from another class and modify it accordingly.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    They may be accessing on a mobile device which sometimes aren't happy with pictures. That's one reason some people use the table format rather than the imported picture format for tables.
    Ah, that's probably it. I'm on my iPad, at the moment. I would highly recommend learning the forum table formatting, as it is the standard for posting homebrew and doesn't have the problems with mobile devices.

I believe this is the usual place people looking to learn the formatting are directed.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

While I'm all for making the shadow dancer a full class, as I am fond of shadow-themed classes, this still has the problem that it's main schtick is too limited.
    If I wanted to teleport around everywhere at short distances I would still play a shadowcaster over this. I can pick up flicker at level 5. Until level higher the levels of this class flicker is substantially better than shadowjump as far as distance and time's used, but shadowjump still takes a longer action to cast and can't be used to avoid attacks. And I can force the shadowcaster into a gish role fairly easily.
    I really hope I wasn't being too blunt, but this is the main reason I never picked up the shadowcaster prestige class. I think its shadow jump feature should be at least be changed to be usable at will, to make it worth it.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by eftexar View Post
    I really hope I wasn't being too blunt, but this is the main reason I never picked up the shadowcaster prestige class. I think its shadow jump feature should be at least be changed to be usable at will, to make it worth it.
    The thought of at-will teleportation makes me sad.

However, I could see a case being made for the shadowjumping to be available earlier, and maybe allow it to be consumed in 5-foot increments rather than 10-foot ones.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    They really could use a capstone.
    Agreed. The Shadow Jump increase and one more mystery know are nice, but every class needs a good capstone, I think.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by danzibr View Post
    Agreed. The Shadow Jump increase and one more mystery know are nice, but every class needs a good capstone, I think.
    Behold that I noted in the OP that it needed a capstone. Like I said, this was a work in progress and I just wanted to get it posted.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmm, just a quick thought:
    Since this is now a base class, maybe add something that helps it fill a standard roll in the group.
    I mean its already got 6+int skills, which is nice, so it could potentially fill the skill monkey role well. Maybe add trap finding and open lock/disable device?
    Just a thought.
    Also if you are looking for things to add to the class, pathfinder's ultimate combat has a slew of feats that work with the dimension door spell ability, its a pretty awesome line for a shadow dancer so maybe you could add them in as bonus feats, or just rework them into class features?

Oh I also second what was said earlier in this thread about making shadow jumping available earlier and possibly more feet per day in the end.

Just some thoughts I had on this class, hope they are of some help.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

That shadow jump scaling is weird and erratic. It will look better as 10/15/20/30/40/60/80/120/160/240/320/480. That way you're getting a moderate change each level, instead of an enormous jump every other level.

Actually, I'd impose some radical changes to shadow jump, because getting 10' of movement as a standard action 1/day at level 8 is pathetic.... that needs a huge power-up. It's barely worth the action as-is.