New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q152

Regarding a Mithral Breastplate: does the -3 to the Armor Check Penalty stack with the -1 from Masterwork (resulting in an ACP 0 Breastplate) or does the -3 overwrite the -1 and leave it at a -1 penalty?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 152

With Mithral construction armor check penalties are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0) inclusive of the masterwork adjustment, because Mithral armor is always masterwork. A Mithral breastplate will still have ACP of -1.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 153

Can a warforged add armor spikes to their plating without taking the Spiked Body feat?
    Last edited by Crasical; 2012-06-04 at 08:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 154

What would be the total XP gained for a party of five (all below 3rd level) that defeat:
    A 1/4 CR, three 1/3 CR, and three 1/2 CR while being aided by three 1/2 CR people?
    Last edited by Garan; 2012-06-04 at 08:55 PM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Garan View Post
    Q 154

What would be the total XP gained for a party of five (all below 3rd level) that defeat:
    A 1/4 CR, three 1/3 CR, and three 1/2 CR while being aided by three 1/2 CR people?
    A 154: If the aiding 1/2's are animal companions, familiars ect they don't count, but if they are npcs, hirelings, or cohorts then they do. So:

If they don't count: 165
    If they do count: 103
    http://www.d20srd.org/extras/d20encountercalculator/
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-06-04 at 09:52 PM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 153 Yes.

Armor spikes are weapons, not armor, and are only attached to armor to be wielded without hands. (The armor and the spikes are necessarily separable because each may be enhanced independently.) A Warforged will have additional time requirements, and may need help, to attach armor spikes; talk to your DM about that. The Spiked Body feat lets a Warforged have a similar capability without the extra equipment, and without the risk of that equipment being sundered or disarmed.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 155: If I level up while under the effect of Enlarge Person, can I choose extended reach as a feat? (assume I am granted one)
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-06-04 at 09:53 PM.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 155

You may take Extended Reach (Savage Species, page 34) if you meet the prerequisites. Enlarge Person will help you qualify if your character were a Tiny size Humanoid boosted to Small size by the spell at the time when the DM awarded you enough XP to go up a level. As always, you lose the benefit of the feat if you no longer meet a prerequisite.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 156

Could a character with a natural DEX of 19, a +6 DEX item and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting take Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting at Level 21?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-06-05 at 12:43 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q157

Does taking the feat Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) give you the ability to use it as a two handed weapon?
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour is that moment when they have worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of the battle... victorius."- Vince Lombardi

"Hey, I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purpose." -Celia (Order Of The Stick)

11. - Top - End - #281

MonkGuy

A 156

Assuming that you qualify for the feat, you can take it, even if it's because of a magic item.

You just lose the benefits of the feat if you ever stop qualifying, like for example taking off a magic item that is letting you meet prerequisites, but would regain use of it again as soon as you put the item back on.

So for instance your 19 dex and +6 from a magic item gives you the needed 25 dex. Though if you ever take off the +6 item you stop being able to use the feat until you get your dex back up over 25 again.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 157 Yes.

Most one-handed weapons can be wielded in two hands with all the associated benefits (the rapier is an exception). The game doesn't have "two-weapon proficiency"; that's a user choice for suitable weapons rather than a game requirement.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A157

Wielding a Bastard Sword in 2 hands makes it a martial weapon.

I assume you aren't proficient with those.

On the other hand, wielding a one-handed weapon in two hands (such as a longsword) is possible by RAW without changing it's type.

Now, with specific overriding general it's not possible by RAW

(though i don't think any sane DM would rule it as such)

Edit: Swordsage'd by Curmudgeon, though i think he missed the point
    Last edited by MrLemon; 2012-06-05 at 02:40 AM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q158 Can I have a contingency that is set to activate at the start of a battle? ie. when initative is rolled (or first checked due to pre-rolling initative to speed things up.)

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 157
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
    Wielding a Bastard Sword in 2 hands makes it a martial weapon.
    That's not what the rule actually says.
    A bastard sword is too large to use in one hand without special training; thus, it is an exotic weapon. A character can use a bastard sword two-handed as a martial weapon.
    "Can" implies an option, not a mandate. Exotic Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword) will allow wielding that weapon with either one or two hands without incurring nonproficiency penalties, despite the lack of martial weapon proficiency for that type of weapon.

A 158 Ask your DM.

Contingency doesn't give a lot of guidance for acceptable triggers.
    The conditions needed to bring the spell into effect must be clear, although they can be general.
    Some DMs will refuse to allow game mechanic triggers like rolling initiative, and will limit you to character-observable events such as injury or a successful Spot check.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-06-05 at 04:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Banned

Q159: How does Eschew Materials interact with Magic Circle Against X? Or rather, the silver that you are supposed to make the circle with?
    Last edited by Little Brother; 2012-06-05 at 08:36 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

Two questions came up at tonight's game:

Q160

What action is it to drop an equipped shield? I could have sworn it was a free action, but after a quick flip though the books I could not confirm this.

Q161

There was some question as to whether a Mummy's Despair ability was a mind affecting and/or fear effect, in relation to how it interacts with the Indomitable Soul feat.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

A 159

Since the spell description doesn't list a cost for the silver to be used, it is treated as a non-expensive material component and is therefore covered under Eschew Material's benefit.

Note that you still have to trace the circle, you just don't need to provide the material component when doing so. (E.g., you can just draw a finger through the dust.)

Q 162

Following up to Q 159, is drawing the circle considered part of the spell's somatic component and therefore rendered unnecessary if using the Still Spell metamagic or similar effect in conjunction with Eschew Materials to eliminate the need for the material component?
    Last edited by Duke of URL; 2012-06-05 at 12:02 PM.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

A 159

Since there is no minimum cost listed for the powdered silver, I'd say an arcane caster with the eschew materials feat would not need it.

A 160

That depends what you mean by dropping a shield and what character is dropping it:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Strapping a shield to your arm to gain its shield bonus to your AC, or unstrapping and dropping a shield so you can use your shield hand for another purpose, requires a move action. If you have a base attack bonus of +1 or higher, you can ready or loose a shield as a free action combined with a regular move.

Dropping a carried (but not worn) shield is a free action.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

A 161

A Mummy's Despair ability is explicitly a fear attack, as a failed save inflicts fear on the viewer. All fear attacks are mind-affecting fear effects, according to the the description of special abilities.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

21. - Top - End - #291
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 159 / A 162 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke of URL View Post
    Note that you still have to trace the circle, you just don't need to provide the material component when doing so. (E.g., you can just draw a finger through the dust.)
    I can't find any support in the RAW for this (continuing to need the material component manipulations when you don't need the material components themselves). In fact, the rules suggest otherwise. For example, casting a spell from a scroll removes everything associated with material components. Also there's this, from page 137 of Rules Compendium:
    Spellcasting creatures sometimes utilize the Eschew Materials feat to avoid having to use some material components.
    That implies more than just not needing that component; you're also eschewing the normal associated manipulations.
    To cast a spell, you must be able to speak (if the spell has a verbal component), gesture (if it has a somatic component), and manipulate the material components or focus (if any).

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q163

If I already have 10 levels of another class and I take a level in warblade, am I then permitted to select a maneuver which requires lower leel maneuvers to be selected first if I select these with the same warblade level?

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

A 163

Yes. The maximum maneuver level is determined by your Initiator Level, not class level. It is 6 at non-martial Class 10/Warblade 1. If you find a Level 3 Maneuver, which requires you to have two or fewer other maneuvers, you can learn it.

Q 164

With the rules from MIC for adding common effects, does a ring of invisibility with an added deflection bonus of 1 cost 22000 gp (20000gp ring of Invisibility+ 2000gp +1 delection AC), but a Ring of Protection with added invisibility 32000 gp (2000gp Ring of protection + 1.5*20000gp Ring o Invisiblity)?

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

A163 Yes.

Warblade class description states:

Quote Originally Posted by Maneuvers, p21 ToB
    You begin your career with knowledge of three martial maneuvers...

You must meet a maneuver’s prerequisite to learn it. See Table 3–1, page 39, to determine the highest-level maneuvers you can learn.
    Check your initiator level on the table (level 6) and you can learn any maneuver within your disciplines of up to level 3, assuming you meet the pre-requisites. You can take a maneuver, and then immediately use that maneuver to qualify for a different one, as you get to apply them in the order most advantageous to you.

and... swordsaged warbladed. But I'll answer your question, Andezzar.

A164 You are correct in the first method, but the second method costs 23,000 gp (total).

First method uses Table 6-11, page 234 MiC. Applying a +1 Deflection bonus to Ring of Invis costs 2000 gp. The second method, applying invisibility to a ring of protection, costs 21,000 gp additional. See page 233 MiC. If the added ability costs more than the cost of the item, you add the base cost + 1/2 the cost of the item to be enhanced. So you'll spend an extra 1000 gp doing it the second way.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-06-05 at 02:36 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Pixie in the Playground

Q165 Is there a feat, class feature or magic item that would allow a Gargantuan Dragon to increase a size category?

26. - Top - End - #296

MonkGuy

A 165

Class feature, technically. Page 179 of the epic level handbook gives rules for advancing dragons past the Great Wyrm stage, every three hit dice you gain a virtual age category, so eventually leveling up enough will make any dragon colossal.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 166: There is feat and I apologize I don't have the name of it, but I know what it does. It says that if you are flanking, you and the person who is helping you complete the flank both get +4 to your attack rolls. Now, if you both have this feat, does it stack? so each of your get +8?

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 166 No.

I'm not sure what feat you're remembering (though I suspect that if you can't remember the name, you may be fuzzy on the details of the benefit), but a statement that you receive a fixed benefit doesn't change no matter how many times that statement is made.

Possibilities:
    • Vexing Flanker feat (Player's Handbook II):
      Benefit: You gain a +4 bonus on your attack rolls when flanking.
    • Swashbuckler class feature (Complete Warrior):
      Improved Flanking (Ex): A swashbuckler of 8th level or higher who is flanking an opponent gains a +4 bonus on attacks instead of a +2 bonus on attacks. (Other characters flanking with the swashbuckler don’t gain this increased bonus.)
    • Superior Flanking feat (Dragon # 343):
      Benefit: You gain a +6 bonus on attack rolls against opponents you flank. All allies who flank with you gain a +3 bonus on attack rolls against the opponents they flank.
      Special: The attack roll bonuses provided by this feat do not stack with the attack roll bonuses provided by flanking and improved flanking.

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Thanks, I'll find the name tonight, I usually have pdfs with me :(.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q 167

Is there any kind of noise or stealth related check for throwing a grappling hook onto the top of a building to climb up? If so, is there a way to muffle this?

Example - Clandestinely trying to enter the second floor of an occupied building, so I want to use my grappling hook to ascend. I assume I need to move silently to climb without being heard, but what about the hook itself?

We didn't know the rules so I made a lasso and snagged some overhanging rafters to climb up the last time, but in case this happens in the future, I'd like to know.