New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 91 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718193459 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q138
    The Tenebrous Apostate prestige class requires you to worship Tenebrous as a god, and it requires you to be able to turn/rebuke undead. As far as I'm aware, there is no way to be Neutral with respect to Good and Evil and get Turn/Rebuke Undead other than being a cleric. If you're a cleric, and you worship Tenebrous as a god, I would assume you have to be a cleric of Tenebrous. Tenebrous is Neutral Evil (despite having once been a Chaotic Evil demon), according to his description in Tome of Magic. Clerics must be within one alignment step of their god, and True Neutral is not a valid option; thusly clerics of a Neutral Evil deity are always Evil themselves. Given all this, even though the PrC's entry requirements are listed as "Any nongood", I see no way to qualify for the class without being Evil. (The question would then be "Have I missed anything?")
    A138
    I fail to see how you can't be True Neutral. TN clerics can worship NE deities.
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.
    Cleric is (true) neutral. Deity is neutral (evil). Everything is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 138

Yes, you're missing quite a lot. There are many ways to gain turn/rebuke abilities. For instance: Paladin (including Paladin of Slaughter and Paladin of Tyranny), Dread Necromancer, Ur-Priest, Blackguard, Knight of the Raven, Apostle of Peace, and Death Delver classes all gain turn or rebuke as class features.

The restriction that you cannot be (true) Neutral without worshiping a (true) Neutral deity is particular only to Clerics, and does not generally apply to all those classes I listed which gain turn or rebuke ability.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

A138 additional You're missing the various other ways to get turn/rebuke. See the list of stuff (I linked the most updated version I could find).

Cleric 1
    Paladin 4
    Blackguard 3, ecl, command or rebuke only
    Sacred Exorcist 1, ecl 8, Complete Divine, turn only
    Ur-priest 2, ecl 7, Complete Divine, rebuke only
    Divine Mind 4, Complete Divine, class variant (here)
    Dread Necromancer 1, base class, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
    Death Delver 1, ecl 6, Heroes of Horror, rebuke only
    Chameleon 3, ecl 8, Races of Destiny, see text
    Master of Radiance 1, ecl 6, Libris Mortin, turn only - unclear whether you gain turning or if it only stacks
    Tenebrous, vestige, ecl 7, Tome of Magic, unlimited use but see text
    Knight of the Raven 3, ecl 7, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
    Apostle of Peace 1, ecl 8, Book of Exalted Deeds
    Soldier of Light 1, ecl 6, Deities and Demigods
    Deadgrim 1, ecl 6, Magic of Eberron - unclear whethero you gain turning or if it only stacks
    EDIT - swordsaged by Curmudgeon! Almost word for word too!
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-06-03 at 06:40 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

I agree that those two items explicitly grant more than one appearance, but the glamered property does not deny it. IMHO it is either a failure in wording (nowhere does it say how any set of clothing looks) or the user can choose. Unfortunately it is not clear.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    I agree that those two items explicitly grant more than one appearance, but the glamered property does not deny it. IMHO it is either a failure in wording (nowhere does it say how any set of clothing looks) or the user can choose. Unfortunately it is not clear.
    Presumably one of these would do.
    Artisan’s outfit
    Cleric’s vestments
    Cold weather outfit
    Courtier’s outfit
    Entertainer’s outfit
    Explorer’s outfit
    Monk’s outfit
    Noble’s outfit
    Peasant’s outfit
    Royal outfit
    Scholar’s outfit
    Traveler’s outfit

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    IMHO it is either a failure in wording (nowhere does it say how any set of clothing looks) or the user can choose.
    Once again, that's creating a capability beyond what is specified in the RAW. Elements of the world not within PC control and not otherwise specified in the rules are always determined by the individual DM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Banned

The Paladins are both Evil, and the whole point of this question was to not be evil. However I didn't know that Dread Necromancer turned things; I assumed that being an arcane caster he couldn't have that mechanic.

@ Eloel: This is one of those cases where the authors of the corebooks described the centermost alignment as "neutral", figuring that that was sufficiently distinct from "neutral evil or neutral good or lawful neutral or chaotic neutral". (Technically I think at least one paragraph of official rules text describes the term "True Neutral" as an "also known as".) That this was a screamingly stupid decision on their part in no way enables the authors of the SRD to correct it.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-06-03 at 08:13 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 139: When a character is standing up in a foe's threatened square, at what point do they provoke an attack of opportunity? Would the foe be able to use that attack of opportunity to attempt to trip the standing character?
    Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

A 139: They provoke an attack of opportunity as they start the action, but before they complete the action.

Explanation: An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal sequence of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Attack of Opportunity
    If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).
    There are many actions that provoke an attack of opportunity, which include standard actions, move equivalent actions, or full round actions. Check the tables on the SRD or the PHB for details on which do and which don't.

The opponent provoking must begin the action, but cannot yet have completed it. We know this because someone casting a spell can have their spell lost if they fail a concentration check, and a player moving cannot have already moved out of range of the attack.

The provoker is still prone while attempting to stand, and while the character making the attack of opportunity is free to attempt to trip, the provoker is already prone and thus the attempt should have no effect. After receiving the attack of opportunity, the individual is free to stand with no further impact.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Q 140
    When trancing, is an elf aware of his or her surroundings, or can he or she be snuck up upon as easily as a creature who is sleeping normally? A page reference would be greatly appreciated.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

Q141
    Do Masterwork Artisans tools work while using Fabricate? Logically they shouldn't, but does any rule state such?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-06-03 at 03:02 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 141 Yes.

Tools work as described. Since Fabricate requires somatic components and contact with the required material throughout the duration of the casting, and a final Craft check, you can assume the Fabricate result is improved by having the appropriate tools as you shape the material.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

A 140 The only place it's really talked about is on PHB 15, where the trance is described as the elf dreaming, which in my mind sounds as restrictive as sleep does. Sleep is in general poorly defined in the core rules, though it should be noted that the Helpless condition lists 'sleeping' as one of the ways that it is in effect and what little rules provided for the Elven trance doesn't seem to change anything besides how long it takes to be fully refreshed, so an elf trancing would be just as Helpless as anyone else sleeping.

Q 142 Would a Merciful weapon convert the Vicious property's damage to nonlethal as well? Would it effect the backlash damage for using one, since it's 'damage the weapon deals'? How does Merciful interact with energy properties, like Flaming or Frost?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 142: The Merficul weapon property does indeed make the returning damage from the Vicious property non-lethal as well.
    I don't believe there's anything saying that energy damage can't be non-lethal, but it doesn't make much sense.

Q 143: When taking an attack of opportunity against a foe standing up, if one has Knock-Down (Deities & Demigods) & Improved Trip, would they be able to make an attack, trip, and make another attack (assuming they deal 10 damage and succeed on their trip attempt)?
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 143 No.

An attempt to trip someone who is already prone cannot succeed; they cannot be knocked "more prone". The AoO from their attempt to stand up happens before they have risen any appreciable amount, and they are free to continue to stand up after your attack.
    An attack of opportunity "interrupts" the normal flow of actions in the round. If an attack of opportunity is provoked, immediately resolve the attack of opportunity, then continue with the next character’s turn (or complete the current turn, if the attack of opportunity was provoked in the midst of a character’s turn).
    While Knock-Down permits a trip attempt, the feat does not guarantee that success is possible.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 143 No.

An attempt to trip someone who is already prone cannot succeed; they cannot be knocked "more prone". The AoO from their attempt to stand up happens before they have risen any appreciable amount, and they are free to continue to stand up after your attack. While Knock-Down permits a trip attempt, the feat does not guarantee that success is possible.
    But if the standing provoked the AoO, and it caused knock down to trigger, would you leave the turn, with the opponent back in the prone position?

Q 144: If a Large and Huge creature both have Inhuman Reach and Extended Reach, with a spiked chain (so 30ft reach for large, 35ft reach for huge) How many squares diagonal can these type of creatures threaten? (I understand the straight forward ones, those are simple just count by 5 out ward, but the diagonal ones are confusing me.

Could one simply look at magic spell lines/effects to see how lines are made?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 143
    Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    But if the standing provoked the AoO, and it caused knock down to trigger, would you leave the turn, with the opponent back in the prone position?
    No. Because you've interrupted the attempt to stand up before the character got out of the prone position, you cannot make them "more prone". And regardless of what you do with the AoO, the character has not used their action and can just stand up normally afterward. Knock-Down allows you to make a trip attempt, but it will always fail if the target is already prone.

Having already stood up does not provoke attacks of opportunity. It's only beginning to try to stand up that makes you let your guard down.

A 144
    Diagonals

When measuring distance, the first diagonal counts as 1 square, the second counts as 2 squares, the third counts as 1, the fourth as 2, and so on.
    You follow the above rule for diagonal measurement, with just one exception:
    Note: Small and Medium creatures wielding reach weapons threaten all squares 10 feet (2 squares) away, even diagonally. (This is an exception to the rule that 2 squares of diagonal distance is measured as 15 feet.)
    Since your question is about Large and Huge creatures, you simply follow the basic diagonal measurement rule.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-06-03 at 08:41 PM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 145: I'm large, with a reach of 15'. I'm fighting some Orcs. I also have the ability to fly at 60ft perfectly. Can I hover just above targets to strike them, but keep them firmly out of my reach? (assuming they can't reach me, and can't fly)
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 145

Yes, you can try that. I expect you'll find that the Orcs will have enough sense of self-preservation both to move away and to switch to missile attacks (even if they have to use improvised missiles).

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 146

When using a two-handed weapon, such as a greatsword, is it a free action to hold it in one hand while using the other hand to do something else?

For instance, if I had a bab of +11, and was making a full attack, could I make two attacks, then hold the greatsword in one hand and use quick draw to draw a javelin and make my third attack with the javelin?
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies

21. - Top - End - #261
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Q147

Can Flesh to Stone and Stone to Flesh be cast on plants, most namely trees? I ask because usually plants aren't seen as "fleshy"
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 146 Yes.

Dropping anything you hold in your hand is a free action; letting go with one hand on a two-handed weapon is included.

What isn't specified in the rules is the action required to re-grip with that hand afterward, and some DMs may require a move action. However, Quick Draw will allow you to grab any weapon in easy reach as a free action instead, so you're covered there as well.

A 147 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flesh to Stone
    Only creatures made of flesh are affected by this spell.
    From the primary definition:
    flesh
    -noun

1. the soft substance of a human or other animal body, consisting of muscle and fat.
    D&D's creature types include other options than humans and animals, but this definition definitely excludes plants and saprophytes as well as most constructs. Flesh Golems will be included, though.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Banned

Q148
    If everyone in a game is using the starting gold amounts specified in the Player's Handbook for their classes, but you're starting your game with a Paragon Class from Unearthed Arcana, how much gold should you assume you have, if asking the DM isn't an option?

24. - Top - End - #264
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Possible A148

I'm a little drunk and about to go to bed, so I haven't looked this up, but I'm pretty sure that UA's racial paragon classes don't have any starting gp listed for them, so the answer is ???

In other words, you have no option other than to ask your DM. I'm not sure why that wouldn't be an option, but that's all you have. Sorry.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Q149

Do spell-like abilities require concentration checks? Specifically stuff like a Dragonfire Adept's invocations.
    Last edited by Demonic_Spoon; 2012-06-04 at 08:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Possible A148
    In other words, you have no option other than to ask your DM. I'm not sure why that wouldn't be an option, but that's all you have. Sorry.
    Mostly because I am the DM and I have no idea. It could also happen if you were under some submission deadline and the DM couldn't be reached promptly, or if you just want to build the character and have it ready to go without having a specific campaign to build it for, but with the ability to slot it right into any "first level, RAW only" campaign.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Mostly because I am the DM and I have no idea. It could also happen if you were under some submission deadline and the DM couldn't be reached promptly, or if you just want to build the character and have it ready to go without having a specific campaign to build it for, but with the ability to slot it right into any "first level, RAW only" campaign.
    This is not a RAW answer, because as indicated, this information is not provided anywhere I have been able to find. However, I would suggest that you look at the class and see what it "equates" to, and use that class's starting gold; or use the race's favored class as the starting gold. For example, the elf paragon class explicitly refers to wizard, so use wizard starting gold. Halfling paragon resembles rogue, and should use that. Human's don't have a favored class, but the class advances casting with a d8 hit die, so I'd suggest cleric. I hope this helps.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A149

Using a spell-like ability while threatened provokes attacks of opportunity. It is possible to make a Concentration check to use a spell-like ability defensively and avoid provoking an attack of opportunity. A spell-like ability can be disrupted just as a spell can be. Spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance and to being dispelled by dispel magic. They do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q150

I have a character in the throes of a Storm of Vengeance spell and two Whirlwinds, he's a 19th-level spellcaster, and will inevitably use magic to solve his problem.

How do I calculate the Concentration DC?
    He's not being dealt damage, and the Concentration Skill says that 'Weather caused by a spell, such as storm of vengeance.', uses that spell's DC.
    So automatically a base 10...

Do I just add the Whirlwinds to one base Save DC? Or does he Save against three DCs?

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Q151
    Can Scholar's Touch and Autohypnosis be combined? AH is a reflexive check for every 800 words of reading and ST says read.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-06-04 at 01:45 PM.