New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122233863 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 188

Yes, the Horn of Fog. Otherwise make a(n eternal) wand of fog cloud/obscuring mist.

There is also the mithralmist shirt (MIC 20).

could a cloak be enchanted with the fog cloud/obscuring mist property?
    Rakshasa avatar by Szilard!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

A 188 cont.

Their aren't any rules against it. In theory you could put absolutely any spell on anything.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

I just started playing D&D, and love the game

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.
    STR:14
    DEX: 8
    CON: 10
    INT:13
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 16

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q201 Can a golem be blinded by the spell Glitterdust? It's not a spell that allows spell resistance nor a fortitude save, so I gather they're vulnerable to it, including the blinding? On the other hand, those creatures seems to be immune to just about everything... The blinding thing from Glitterdust, I figure that's quite much a physical/mechanical effect, maybe that's why they're affected?

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 202: Looking at the following picture about reach:

Spoiler
    Show

Now, I wasn't aware that large creature have a reach of 10 feet, and they get any reach weapon, it adds on to that then?

So a large creature with a spike change has a reach of 20 ft instead of 10ft?
    Is that what the outer lighter color is representing in each of these pictures? The center square is the actual person or thing, the grayed out part is its natural reach i take it, and the lighter part is with a reach weapon?
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-06-09 at 06:21 PM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 202

That's correct, provided you're using a spiked chain of an appropriate size.

Note that most reach weapons other than the whip and spiked chain will not be usable against targets within the creature's natural reach.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 203

For prepared casters, are Metamagic Rods used during preparation or during casting?

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 202

That's correct, provided you're using a spiked chain of an appropriate size.

Note that most reach weapons other than the whip and spiked chain will not be usable against targets within the creature's natural reach.
    So if I don't use a reach weapon, I can still use unarmed attacks, as a large creature even if they are adjacent to me?
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 203 Casting.
    Metamagic rods hold the essence of a metamagic feat but do not change the spell slot of the altered spell. All the rods described here are use-activated (but casting spells in a threatened area still draws an attack of opportunity). A caster may only use one metamagic rod on any given spell, but it is permissible to combine a rod with metamagic feats possessed by the rod’s wielder. In this case, only the feats possessed by the wielder adjust the spell slot of the spell being cast.
    If a metamagic effect were applied during preparation the level of the spell would necessarily change. Furthermore, metamagic rods are always use-activated, not preparation-activated.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q 204

I'm working on a horror campaign. And I have a plot line where the PCs accidentally become cannibals (the person hosting them for the night feeds it to them without their knowledge).

Are there any status changes that could/would come into effect? Or rules on how to go about this? Location would also be nice..
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour is that moment when they have worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of the battle... victorius."- Vince Lombardi

"Hey, I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purpose." -Celia (Order Of The Stick)

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A204
    Heroes of Horror has rules for "depravity" which should cover what you are after. If you are running an entire Horror Campaign I would try to obtain a copy - it's quite a good book.
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2012-06-10 at 02:01 AM.

11. - Top - End - #371

ElfRangerGuy

Q205
    Natural weapons are considered light weapons?
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

12. - Top - End - #372
    Titan in the Playground

Q 206 Would a Bard 1/Crusaider 4 have access to 3rd lvl martial maneuvers due to the every other level rule for progression?
    "I Burn!"

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 205 Yes.

This rule is buried inside the Weapon Finesse feat:
    Natural weapons are always considered light weapons.

14. - Top - End - #374

ElfRangerGuy

A206
    It would have access to the same maneuvers as a Crusader of a 4 1/2 level. So Crusader 4 level, and a crusader 4 gets access to 2nd level maneuvers, so no.

Q207
    If a favored soul takes the ACF of favored of bahamut, and subsequently learns a sorcerer spell is that spell arcane? Or divine?
    Currently playing:

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 208

If a creature has 2 claws as its primary natural attack, what is the STR bonus it gets for each of them? They both strike with the full AB, right?

Q 209

If a flying creature (30ft fly speed) moves at a 45° downward angle, what distance can it travel with a single move action? How much ground does it cover?

Q210

Does the dive attack from Improved Dragon Wings (RotD p. 100) benefit form other features that improve a charge?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-06-10 at 04:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376

Q211 I'm a bit confused about the speed penalties for wearing heavy armor. For a human, base speed (unarmored) is 30 feet, while speed wearing heavy armor is 20 ft.
    But what if that human's base speed was increased with 30 ft., by casting Expeditious retreat? Then the base speed would be 60 ft. Is my interpretation of the Rules compendium correct: that speed in heavy armor would be 40 ft. in this situation?
    Or is 20 ft. the maximum speed wearing plate mail, whatever the base speed of the creature?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ettin in the Playground

A 211

DMG p. 20 has a table with the adjusted speeds for base speeds from 20 to 100 ft. Yes, base speed 60 is reduced to 40.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 207 Divine.

The Sorcerer spells are added to the Favored Soul class list. Favored Souls cast divine spells unless there's an explicit exception, which Favored of Bahamut does not state.

A 208 1x STR modifier.
    A creature’s primary attack damage includes its full Strength modifier (1-1/2 times its Strength bonus if the attack is with the creature’s sole natural weapon) and is given first. Secondary attacks add only 1/2 the creature’s Strength bonus and are given second in the parentheses.
    With 2 claws there is no sole natural weapon.

A 209

A flyer moves through each square as any other creature does, but due to downward double speed there is no double movement cost for every other diagonal square. The flyer would move 6 squares diagonally downward, resulting in horizontal and vertical movement of 30' (about 42' linear). If the flyer could head straight downward it would cover 60' instead.

A 210 No.

Improved Dragon Wings applies to dive attacks, not charges. While dive attacks work like aerial charges, improvements specific to the Charge special full-round action do not impact dive attacks.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Re: 202
    Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    So if I don't use a reach weapon, I can still use unarmed attacks, as a large creature even if they are adjacent to me?
    Correct, a large (tall) creature has a 10 foot reach with their unarmed attacks, natural attacks, and any attack with a non-reach weapon. They can attack anywhere within that range.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    Q201 Can a golem be blinded by the spell Glitterdust? It's not a spell that allows spell resistance nor a fortitude save, so I gather they're vulnerable to it, including the blinding? On the other hand, those creatures seems to be immune to just about everything... The blinding thing from Glitterdust, I figure that's quite much a physical/mechanical effect, maybe that's why they're affected?
    A201

Yes, a Golem can be blinded by Glitterdust. In the monster type entry for constructs, a long list of statuses and effects which Constructs are immune to is given - no mention is made of blindness (they are immune to spells with the Pattern descriptor, and spells which allow a Fort save unless they also work on objects - neither of these applies to Glitterdust).

The only exception to this would be if the the entry for a particular Golem specifically listed a special immunity to blindness or Glitterdust.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Banned

Goblin

Q 212

What's the difference between Create Undead from SRD and Summon Undead from Heroes Of Horror? What creatures they can give me at various levels?

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 213: Can a goliath take the mountain rage in addition to a rage variant such as Whirling Frenzy?

23. - Top - End - #383
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 214

Why does a kobold zombie's speed increase to 30ft. if it is a Small monster, and becoming undead shouldn't change that?
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I started in the keep of a baron who was hiring the characters as his personal lackeys. It allowed me to give them some simple beginner quests, such as go kill this group of bandits to save this town.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

A214

Because unlike both of the small PC races (Gnome & Halfling), the Kobolds base speed is 30, not 20. Same is true for the Goblin, as a point of interest.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Q215 If you apply Sorcerer class levels to a true dragon, do the sorcerer levels stack with the spellcasting abilities gained from the racial hit dice?

(For example, an Old Blue Dragon Advanced with 4 Sorcerer levels being able to learn and cast 7th-level spells, like a 13th-level human sorcerer would.)

26. - Top - End - #386
    Orc in the Playground

Q 216

When you are playing a swordsage and gain a weapon focus for a entire discipline can you then take a weapon specialization for all of those weapons or would you need to get a feat for each one separately?

27. - Top - End - #387
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 213 No.
    Mountain rage replaces the standard barbarian’s rage
    ability,
    Rage Variant: Whirling Frenzy

A barbarian with this variant form of rage doesn't gain the normal bonuses when he enters a rage.
    Once you have substituted the Goliath Barbarian Mountain Rage you do not have the normal rage to vary.

A 216 Separately.

A class feature which provides a benefit regarding Weapon Focus does not alter the benefits of another feat like Weapon Specialization.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 212 The spells are really nothing alike.

Summon undead is a series of spells from 1st to 5th level which allow you to temporarily acquire some low-level undead servants which obey your every whim. Create undead is a 6th level spell that allows you to make a permanent undead creature which is not necessarily under your control, and the spell takes an hour to cast so it's not useable during combat.

At CL 11 (when you'd normally get access to create undead), you can create a single ghoul minion using a sixth level spell. At the same level, you could cast summon undead V (a 5th level spell) and summon 4 loyal ghouls which do your bidding for a little longer than a minute, or you could summon a smaller number of stronger undead such as a mummy, a wight, or a pair of ghasts.

29. - Top - End - #389

ElfRangerGuy

Q217
    The wolf berserker feat from Unapprochable East, has a special clause:

Characters with this feat may choose the Improved Trip feat even if they don't meet the other prerequisites for Improved Trip.
    So a character with wolf berserker can get Improved trip without meeting any of the prerequisites. No need for combat expertise nor INT 13, correct?
    Currently playing:

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 217 Yes.

Satisfying all the prerequisites for Wolf Berserker lets you skip all the normal prerequisites for Improved Trip.