New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223243964 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 218: If a DM has the choice to roll initiative for groups of enemies rather than each one, how does one figure up the initiative bonus each enemy has? Say you had a 4x Dire Tigers on the field, and next to them are a team of 6 Formiam Taskmasters. The tigers have a +2 initiative and the taskmasters have +8.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

possible A 218

I don't think there is really any RAW for this, but generally don't you just group same monsters together and assume they all rolled the same result? It's effectively like having all of that monster delay until the slowest member of the group. Just roll once and add the normal initiative modifier. There's no reason to change the monsters' initiative bonus. Just use whatever they have listed.

If I've misunderstood what you're trying to ask, please clarify it for us, because this question didn't make a lot of sense to me.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    possible A 218

I don't think there is really any RAW for this, but generally don't you just group same monsters together and assume they all rolled the same result? It's effectively like having all of that monster delay until the slowest member of the group. Just roll once and add the normal initiative modifier. There's no reason to change the monsters' initiative bonus. Just use whatever they have listed.

If I've misunderstood what you're trying to ask, please clarify it for us, because this question didn't make a lot of sense to me.
    No I think you got it perfect. That makes sense. Different types of monsters would be together.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 219

If a Warblade took Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Spiked chain, could he become proficient with any one exotic weapon due to the Weapon Aptitude class feature?

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

A 219

Yes. Weapon Aptitude (Ex) states that you can change the target for any feat that specifies a specific weapon. Exotic Weapon Familiarity (Spiked Chain) specifies a single weapon, therefore it can be changed.

Q 220

Which qualities constitute a Monstrous character (one able to take [Monstrous] feats)?

6. - Top - End - #396
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q 221 I am quite sure that in some web enhancement material was a cloak that granted a use (or an extra use) of rage per day. Does anyone know where it was?
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post

Q 220

Which qualities constitute a Monstrous character (one able to take [Monstrous] feats)?
    A 220

One that possesses the monstrous features referenced in the prerequisites of the feat. Much as Divine feats always require Turn Undead or equivalent to use, Monstrous feats always have a "monstrous" prerequisite (high ability scores, natural weapons, unusual types, etc.).
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 221

Is there a list of all additional creatures suitable as animal companions or special mounts introduced by the various splat books?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 220: It states in Savage Species how to get monstrous feats; Including that if a character normally unable to obtain such feats (being a humanoid) meets the prerequisites, most DMs would allow the player to take the feat.

A 221: Players Handbook II has a list of animal companions on page 41. I don't know about special mounts, but figure out the CR of the mounts listed in the DMG and pick a mount based on that.

Q 222: Can a dazed creature be coup de graced if they are not affected by anything else?
    Last edited by Amakule; 2012-06-11 at 01:55 PM.
    Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

A 222

No. A creature can only be be Coupe-de-Grace'd if they're helpless, as defined in the DMG.

Quote Originally Posted by DMG
    A helpless character is paralyzed, held, bound, sleeping, unconscious, or otherwise completely at an opponent’s mercy.
    Dazed is not one of the conditions that make an opponent helpless, therefore you cannot CdG a dazed opponent.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 223

is there a status affliction (silence, paralyze, etc) that disables feats or Ex abilities? (like silence for spellcasters).
    Last edited by zorenathres; 2012-06-11 at 03:46 PM.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 223 No.

Only death (which isn't a condition, but a transformation from a creature to an object) will do what you ask. Most feats do not require an activation action; their benefit exists continually from the time the feat is acquired, and does not go away unless the character no longer satisfies the prerequisites, if any. (Example: Toughness.) Most Extraordinary class abilities also have no activation action.
    Using an extraordinary ability is usually not an action because most extraordinary abilities automatically happen in a reactive fashion.
    (Example: Purity of Body)

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 224: This may seem like a really dumb question, but, can you bull rush someone off a cliff?

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

A 224

Aye, you can. Hilarity usually ensues afterward, especially if your DM hadn't expected you to be able to beat the monster's STR checks.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    A 224

Aye, you can. Hilarity usually ensues afterward, especially if your DM hadn't expected you to be able to beat the monster's STR checks.
    Do I fall with them, or do they fall as soon as there is nothing under them, and I can stop at the edge?

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Do I fall with them, or do they fall as soon as there is nothing under them, and I can stop at the edge?
    Bull Rush Results

If you beat the defender’s Strength check result, you push him back 5 feet. If you wish to move with the defender, you can push him back an additional 5 feet for each 5 points by which your check result is greater than the defender’s check result. You can’t, however, exceed your normal movement limit.
    The enemy falls when they're moved into a square that's air rather than land. You can move with them if you wish.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q225: Can Awaken Construct be cast on an object affected by a permanencied Animate Object?

Q225.1: If the answer to the previous question is positive, what happens if anyone dispels Animate Object from said object? Do you end up with an object with mental ability scores?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 225 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Awaken Construct
    The spell does not work on constructs that are constructs only temporarily (such as objects affected by an animate objects spell)
    Even a spell with a duration of "permanent" is a temporary effect, since it only lasts until either it or Permanency is dispelled. And, of course, Awaken Construct explicitly excludes objects affected by an Animate Objects spell.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 226

Does the paladin's Smite Evil over come mundane damage reduction (such as a zombie's 5/slashing)?
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I started in the keep of a baron who was hiring the characters as his personal lackeys. It allowed me to give them some simple beginner quests, such as go kill this group of bandits to save this town.

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 226 No.

It has only the properties listed.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 227 The increases to ability scores every four levels, are those an untyped bonus? My brother who's gonna run an epic druid thinks that they're an inherent bonus and thus wouldn't stack with those fancy tomes and manuals that increase one's ability scores. But inherent bonuses are magical in nature, I thought. I looked through the PHB and DMG but couldn't find anything that said, one way or the other, what ability score increases from levelling up actually are. Are they even bonuses at all?
    Last edited by Gnome Alone; 2012-06-11 at 08:40 PM.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q228: Can a Warforged get transformed permanently into a Human by using Polymorph Any Object (or any other method, even if not directly)?

(Specifically, I was thinking of using Polymorph to get temporarily transformed into a Gray Elf and, during that spell's duration, use PAO to get turned into a Human permanently.)
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q229: If a character with the Psycarnum Infusion feat uses said feat to treat Midnight Metamagic as if it had its full Incarnum capacity, do they gain the benefit of the feat (i.e. applying a Metamagic feat to a spell of the appropriate level), or does it do nothing?

A227: They do indeed stack. The 'bonuses' from leveling up are not, in fact, bonuses, and instead actual increases in the ability score. If a bonus type is not listed, it is treated as an untyped bonus, which stacks with every other type of bonus, save for those from the same source. Since the bonus from leveling up does stack with itself, it is either an actual increase, or is an untyped bonus that stacks with itself, which is more or less the same thing.

A228: Polymorph Any Object does not work that way. A Warforged could, in fact, be transformed into a human (though you would need the word of your DM if they were the same Kingdom). However, Polymorph Any Object specifically calls out the differences from the 'Original State,' meaning the Warforged state; using an intermediate body will not grant you an improved duration on the ability. If your DM decides that Humans and Warforged are in the same Kingdom by virtue of both being sentient humanoids, then the transformation would be permanent. Otherwise, the transformation will be only temporary.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 227
    Over time, the ability scores your character starts with can change. Ability scores can increase with no limit.
    Those are not bonuses at all. They are increases which become permanent restatements of your ability scores from that time forward. Bonuses are tracked separately and limited by stacking and other rules. Only a change which is explicitly labeled as an inherent bonus is subject to inherent bonus rules.

A 228
    One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant: Sometimes, one spell can render a later spell irrelevant. For example, if a wizard is using a shapechange spell to take the shape of an eagle, a polymorph spell could change her into a goldfish. The shapechange spell is not negated, however, and since the polymorph spell has no effect on the recipient’s special abilities, the wizard could use the shapechange effect to take any form the spell allows whenever she desires.
    Because creatures can have no more than one form at a time, magical effects which change the creature's form are subject to the above stacking limit. Also, any prior change in form is irrelevant to the duration of Polymorph Any Object
    The duration of the spell depends on how radical a change is made from the original state to its enchanted state.
    Please note the distinction between current state and original state.

The Incarnate Construct acquired template (Savage Species, pages 120-121) will transform a Construct of humanoid shape into a Humanoid creature. However, there are many drawbacks, including loss of all feats, all skills, all special attacks, and all special qualities including all class abilities. (Note that all acquired templates must be applied after character creation, so loss of these abilities is guaranteed.) After that a Polymorph Any Object spell could transform the Humanoid creature into a Human (until dispelled, of course).

Also note that, as with any non-updated pre-3.5 material, your DM may make adjustments before allowing its use in a 3.5 game. From page 4 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
    This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryr View Post
    Q 221 I am quite sure that in some web enhancement material was a cloak that granted a use (or an extra use) of rage per day. Does anyone know where it was?
    A 221.0

I can't find anything on the WotC website, but I did find the following homebrew/3rd party item: Mantle of Rage - the layout of the page is quite official looking, so it could easily be mistaken for WotC content.

If you are looking for a way to Rage without using class levels, I could only find the following option: the Gutworm symbiont (Fiend Folio p.220) can allow it's host to enter a state "identical to a Brabarian's Rage" at will, for a duration of 4 rounds at a time.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A 221.0

I can't find anything on the WotC website, but I did find the following homebrew/3rd party item: Mantle of Rage - the layout of the page is quite official looking, so it could easily be mistaken for WotC content.

If you are looking for a way to Rage without using class levels, I could only find the following option: the Gutworm symbiont (Fiend Folio p.220) can allow it's host to enter a state "identical to a Brabarian's Rage" at will, for a duration of 4 rounds at a time.
    Actually it is really probable that it was that mantle what I was remembering, well it's a pitty. Thanks!
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

27. - Top - End - #417
    Pixie in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Q. 230 Are there any rules in place for knocking someone unconscious by sneaking up on them with a sap/blackjack, assuming you pass all of your move silently checks and can be right up on them?

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

A 230

There are no special rules needed. The sap does nonlethal damage. If you successfully sneak up on someone you can (sneak) attack that person. If the attack deals more non-lethal damage than the target's hit points, the target is unconscious.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 230

The only cases where the game rules realistically support such an operation are by using sneak attack or sudden strike, wherein a stealthy approach denies the target their DEX bonus to AC and enables the bonus damage. An unaugmented sap strike is not likely to deal enough nonlethal damage to exceed the target's hit points, but a strike with added sneak attack or sudden strike damage may suffice.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-06-12 at 10:49 AM.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 98 Repost

Is there a way not to use the elemental damage from Dragonfire Inspiration?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-06-12 at 10:50 AM.