New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 91 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324254065 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q221

A player wants to use the Warlock invocation Wall of Gloom. The question is that do mindless creatures (such as skeletons/zombies) automatically fail the save that is necessary to cross the wall?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thompsja View Post
    Q221

A player wants to use the Warlock invocation Wall of Gloom. The question is that do mindless creatures (such as skeletons/zombies) automatically fail the save that is necessary to cross the wall?
    A221

Mindless creatures are immune to mind-affecting spells, and Wall of Gloom is [Mind-Affecting]. They thus are unaffected by the wall.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 098 No.
    Benefit: When you use your bardic music to inspire courage, you can choose to imbue your allies with dragonfire. This choice made when first activating the ability, and the choice applies to all allies affected.
    Inspire courage is a mind-affecting ability.
    As a mind-affecting ability, Inspire Courage is not optional. An affected ally has no choice but to use Inspire Courage as modified by Dragonfire Inspiration. The sole choice is that of the Bard.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 98 Follow-Up

So anyone affected by Dragonfire Inspiration has no option of doing (only) non-lethal damage, right?

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 98 Follow-Up

That's correct. Their primary damage my be nonlethal, but the dragonfire addition is set when the Bard acquires Dragonfire Inspiration.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q222 When casting 7th lvl Magic missiles against a single creature which has spell resistance - must Caster level checks to overcome SR be rolled for each of the 4 missiles, or is it a single CL check roll?

I thought the text "You must designate targets before you check for spell resistance or roll damage. " is somewhat ambigous.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 223

does an archmage's arcane reach ability actually change the range of a touch spell to something else so that certain metamagics [such as chain spell] can affect it? or is it still a touch spell, just cast at a range, like what spectral hand allows?

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 224: If a player with oversized two weapon fighting, equips strong arm bracers, can they wield a weapon one size larger and still treat them as light weapons for the purposes of TWF?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

9. - Top - End - #429
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q225 I've tried to find out whether there is a range increment for ranged touch spells?

Some thrown weapons and thingies are used by making a ranged touch attack roll with range increment 10 ft. But I'm having trouble finding out whether a simple ranged touch spell in itself has a range increment? Only the maximum distance. So I guess it has not, then?

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

A 224

Yes. With the bracers the wielder is considered one category larger for the purpose of determining what he can do with the weapons. With oversized TWF he can wield them as he would two light weapons.

A 225

You are correct.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 226: I noticed there is a weight increase when you buy a weapon that has a larger size than medium. What about reach and price? Does a large great sword gain 10ft reach? Does it cost more?
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-06-12 at 06:01 PM.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

A 226

No. Reach is determined by creature size. Reach weapons double the creature's normal reach. A greatsword (regardless of size) is not a reach weapon.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Firbolg in the Playground

Note: Since the top of this page with question '221', the numbers have been 10 behind. We're actually in the 230s.

Reposting Q229 while I'm here: If a character with the Psycarnum Infusion feat uses said feat to treat Midnight Metamagic as if it had its full Incarnum capacity, do they gain the benefit of the feat (i.e. applying a Metamagic feat to a spell of the appropriate level), or does it do nothing?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

14. - Top - End - #434
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Reposting Q229 while I'm here: If a character with the Psycarnum Infusion feat uses said feat to treat Midnight Metamagic as if it had its full Incarnum capacity, do they gain the benefit of the feat (i.e. applying a Metamagic feat to a spell of the appropriate level), or does it do nothing?
    A229

Yes, the character would gain the benefit of midnight metamagic at maximum essentia capacity.
    Last edited by jara; 2012-06-12 at 06:40 PM.

15. - Top - End - #435

Clarification on Q229: The Midnight Metamagic feat states that "Once per day, you can invest essentia into this feat and choose one or more spells that you know (and have prepared, if you prepare spells) to apply the effect of a metamagic feat that you know." The way it's phrased indicates that when, and only when you invest essentia into the feat, you pick spells to apply to the spells. However, Psycarnum Infusion states that "one of your soul-melds, incarnum feats, class features, or other incarnum receptacles is treated as if it had essentia invested in it equal to its maximum essentia capacity." Having essentia invested into Midnight Metamagic could be interpreted as doing nothing by itself, and only works in that once per day area, and Psycarnum Infusion does nothing with the feat. Clarification on whether or not the Psycarnum Infusion does, in fact, apply the metamagic is what is requested.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 230

If a 20th level bard has items that increase his effective Bard level beyond 20 (such as vest of legends) does he get additional inspire courage progression as an Epic Bard?

17. - Top - End - #437
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 231

I have 2 different types of regeneration, one tha states that fire and acid are lethal, the other that states that good and lawful weapons deal lethal damage.
    Do they stack like DR (so I take lethal damage from a fire&good source) or I am vulnerable to all the 4 damage sources?

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 230 Yes.

Note that +5 effective Bard levels at level 20 doesn't grant any Epic improvement.
    Inspire Courage (Su)

The epic bard’s bonus when this ability is used increases by +1 every six levels higher than 20th.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 232: How are extra attacks granted through multi-weapon fighting (in this case a thrikreen), handled once a base attack bonus is high enough to grant extra attacks. Assume light weapons.
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-06-13 at 11:08 AM.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ogre in the Playground

A 232 The same as with two-weapon fighting, albeit with more weapons.

Multi-weapon fighting feat tree provides the same benefits as two-weapon fighting, just with more weapons, and slightly different pre-requisites. The feat itself explicitly refers to two-weapon fighting. With a BAB of +6, you still get only one attack with each off-hand weapon. At BAB +9, you can take Improved multiattack (assuming you meet other pre-reqs) and get your second iterative attack with each off-hand weapon, with normal penalties. At BAB +15, you can take greater multiattack, and get three iterative attacks with each off-hand weapon.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Banned

Goblin

Q 233

What's starting gold for all classes at first level?

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ettin in the Playground

A 233

Not OGL, is what it is. Player's Handbook, page 111, table 7-1.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A 232 The same as with two-weapon fighting, albeit with more weapons.

Multi-weapon fighting feat tree provides the same benefits as two-weapon fighting, just with more weapons, and slightly different pre-requisites. The feat itself explicitly refers to two-weapon fighting. With a BAB of +6, you still get only one attack with each off-hand weapon. At BAB +9, you can take Improved multiattack (assuming you meet other pre-reqs) and get your second iterative attack with each off-hand weapon, with normal penalties. At BAB +15, you can take greater multiattack, and get three iterative attacks with each off-hand weapon.
    When you say "with normal penalties" what would those be? The ones listed under two weapon fighting? -6 / -10 thing?

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    When you say "with normal penalties" what would those be? The ones listed under two weapon fighting? -6 / -10 thing?
    My apologies for lack of clarity. Normal penalties (-6/-10) apply without any feats applied, and without using light weapons. Light weapons in off-hands reduce any attack penalties with both weapons by 2 (-4/-8). I should have said that with a light weapon (per your initial question) that penalties of -2/-2 (plus additional -2s per weapon and hand) apply as per two-weapon fighting. Both the two-weapon fighting feat and the multi-weapon fighting feat reduce the penalties by -2 in primary hand and -6 in off-hand(s) attacks.

So if you have 4 arms, BAB of +4, assuming no bonuses and light weapons all around, you have four attacks, all at +2. BAB of +6 grants you four attacks at +4, and an iterative attack with your primary weapon of -1 (+4/+4/+4/+4/-1). I hope this helps.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-06-13 at 09:00 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

25. - Top - End - #445

Q 234

Can you crit on ability damage? Say Ray of Enfeeblement.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 234 Maybe.

Any weaponlike spell (one that has an attack roll and deals damage) will threaten a critical hit on a natural 20 and deal double damage if the critical is confirmed. However, Ray of Enfeeblement is not a weaponlike spell because it inflicts a penalty to Strength, not damage.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q235 a

Say we have a natural attack that does additional damage. For example a Fang dragon's con drain on bite. Does that get increased on a crit as well? Or does it count as 'bonus' damage and therefore not subjected to crits?

Q235 b

What about natural attacks that deal poison? Would a crit leave you with a double dose of the posion? Like say a scorpions sting?
    Last edited by TypoNinja; 2012-06-14 at 12:54 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ettin in the Playground

A 235 a

The Fang Dragon's Attack is multiplied on a critical hit as it is Ability Drain.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 235 b

The answer depends on whether the poison damage is expressed in dice or not.
    A critical hit means that you roll your damage more than once, with all your usual bonuses, and add the rolls together. Unless otherwise specified, the threat range for a critical hit on an attack roll is 20, and the multiplier is ×2.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage is not multiplied when you score a critical hit.
    The poison damage from most Monstrous Scorpion stings is expressed in terms of dice and would not be multiplied on a critical hit. However, a Tiny Monstrous Scorpion deals a constant amount of poison damage (1 CON), and that would be multiplied on a crit.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Q 236 What, if any, ways are there for a Druid to recover lost levels from Dips and the like for his Wild Shape and Spell Casting Progressions? (Let's assume that I don't care that doing so just makes them more broken for my purposes.)

Q 237 If a Dungeoncrasher Fighter Uses Shadow Blade and an approved weapon, does his Dex multiply in place of strength for the purposes of the Dungeoncrasher AFC's bonus damage?

Q 238 If a Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/ Decisive Strike Monk 1 Hits an opponent and successfully triggers the Dungeoncrashers Damage, does Decisive strike double that damage?
    "I Burn!"