New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 91 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728294469 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 291 No.

There's no such general rule. Instead there are specific alternative class features (ACFs) which apply to particular classes. There is a fairly comprehensive list of ACFs here, but there are none listed for either Factotum or Spellthief. Generally the core classes, which were designed with more historical "baggage" from previous editions of the game, have the most such support.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q292:

I often hear that a good way to get rid of a trapped soul is to use it as a material component in a spell, however I've never actually seen a spell that uses a trapped soul as a material component. What are some examples?
    On creating medieval thermobaric detonations:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    On rewriting your own past into a stable time loop of invulnerability:
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    Kardar233's Illithid:
    *strokes chin*
    Hmmm, I like the way you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    kardar233's Tyr: So ok, it seems to me that your character evades death o_O. Congratulations *fanfare*

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 292

This is largely a feature of various spells in Book of Vile Darkness, a 3.0 D&D supplement. See SOULS AS POWER on page 33. Do note that this non-updated 3.0 source is subject to the usual rules. From Dungeon Master's Guide on page 4:
    This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.
    Your individual DM will decide what adjustments to make before material existing before D&D 3.5 may be used. For instance, the DM could decide to do away with these spells as the simplest adjustment.

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 293 : With regards to gestalt characters, it says:

A gestalt character can’t combine two prestige classes at any level, although it’s okay to combine a prestige class and a regular class. Prestige classes that are essentially class combinations—such as the arcane trickster, mystic theurge, and eldritch knight—should be prohibited if you’re using gestalt classes, because they unduly complicate the game balance of what’s already a high-powered variant. Because it’s possible for gestalt characters to qualify for prestige classes earlier than normal, the DM is entirely justified in toughening the prerequisites of a prestige class so it’s available
    only after 5th level, even for gestalt characters.
    Does that mean you basically can only ever have one prestige class ever? Or just can't have two prestige classes active at the same time? Like this: (For simplicity sake, assume prereqs are met)

Fighter 1/Rogue 1
    Fighter 2/Rogue 2
    Fighter 3/Master Thrower 1
    Fighter 4/Master Thrower 2

I assume this is ok, but this isn't:

Fighter 1/Rogue 1
    Fighter 2/Rogue 2
    Fighter 3/Master Thrower 1
    Bladesinger 1/Master Thrower 2

Is not.

But is this allowed:

Fighter 1/Rogue 1
    Bladesinger 1/Rogue 2
    Fighter 2/Master Thrower 1
    Bladesinger 1/Rogue 3

??
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-06-18 at 05:04 PM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

5. - Top - End - #545
    Ettin in the Playground

A293

It is pretty much "ask your DM".

1st Progression: If you can meet the prerequisites for Master Thrower with that progression it should be OK

2nd Progression: Is not OK for three reasons. One you cannot qualify for Bladesinger with the classes you have, two Bladesinger may not even be allowed(Fighter/Mage hybrid) and three you may not have two PRCs on the same level

3rd Progression: Has problems one and two of the 2nd progression. So it is up to the DM, if the Bladesinger PRC is allowed.

If the prerequisites were met, you could have more than one PRC on the character, but not two on the same level, just as you quoted.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A293

It is pretty much "ask your DM".

1st Progression: If you can meet the prerequisites for Master Thrower with that progression it should be OK

2nd Progression: Is not OK for three reasons. One you cannot qualify for Bladesinger with the classes you have, two Bladesinger may not even be allowed(Fighter/Mage hybrid) and three you may not have two PRCs on the same level

3rd Progression: Has problems one and two of the 2nd progression. So it is up to the DM, if the Bladesinger PRC is allowed.

If the prerequisites were met, you could have more than one PRC on the character, but not two on the same level, just as you quoted.
    Perfect :) I just picked random PRC i remembered the names for. I just needed to know if that's what they meant in the book, you have to alternate classes.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q 240

So I have a question-

Fiendish Familiar symbionts have an AC of 11. My DM says that if I have him grafted on that he would die when the first AoE spell was cast on me.

How do I prevent this? I was thinking something about making it ethereal but it didn't pan out. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by omniangel; 2012-06-18 at 06:40 PM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Q 294

If I remember correctly, monsters with multiple primary attacks like a hydra can use a standard action to attack with all of its head. There is a description that even states that a hydra can move and still attack this way.

Is this also the case with the epic monster Hecatoncheires (ELH), which has appendages that allow for a 100 Greatsword/Boulder attack?

Also, it's quite funny that the Setting Sun Maneuver called Hydra Slaying Strike (ToB) disables the target from making a full attack action. I know it's just flavor names, but this strike doesn't help one against a Hydra at all! Any clarifications on this too?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Q 294

If I remember correctly, monsters with multiple primary attacks like a hydra can use a standard action to attack with all of its head. There is a description that even states that a hydra can move and still attack this way.
    A 294

That's true of the Hydra only because it explicitly says it works that way. For another monster to have the same ability, its statblock would also have to explicitly state that it can do that.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

10. - Top - End - #550
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Q 294

Is this also the case with the epic monster Hecatoncheires (ELH), which has appendages that allow for a 100 Greatsword/Boulder attack?

Also, it's quite funny that the Setting Sun Maneuver called Hydra Slaying Strike (ToB) disables the target from making a full attack action. I know it's just flavor names, but this strike doesn't help one against a Hydra at all! Any clarifications on this too?
    Add on to A294: The hydra actually gets to attack with all its heads as an attack action (which I interprete as applying to charges, AoOs and the like). But only because its stat block explicitly states it can. For other monsters, it is still a full-action to attack with more than 1 weapon.

That said, yeah, you realise said maneuver is useless against hydra!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

11. - Top - End - #551
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 295

A warforged with the Adamantine body feat is considered to be wearing Heavy armor. Does he suffer non-proficiency penalties if not given proficiency by his class?
    Last edited by BIGMamaSloth; 2012-06-18 at 11:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Troll in the Playground

A 295

No. From the official 3.5e FAQ:

No. The Adamantine Body feat resembles heavy armor in many ways, but it doesn’t require you to have any special proficiency.

Q 296

The spell Heart of Air (CM) says that it's a Wu Jen 2 (air) spell. However, there is no Air element group for the Wu Jen. Does it get classified under the 'universal' element group or the 'all' element group?

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 296

From the Complete Mage Errata file:
    Page 06 – Heart of Air [Substitution]
    The spell’s “wu jen 2 (air)” tag should instead read “wu jen 2 (general).”

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 297
    Is there a way for a Cleric to gain the Planar Binding spells without taking levels in Malconvoker?

15. - Top - End - #555
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 298: I need keep under an ECL including HD of 5. I'm wondering what my ECL would be for this creature. If I started as an Bat, turned it into an Anthropomorphic Animal, could I then apply a feral/half-ogre template to it and begin taking class levels? Would that be LA + 3, (HO template, and Feral), then my class level of Anthropomorphic Animal?

Q 299: Would I still be able to use weapons as normal?
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-06-19 at 08:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 298 No.

An Anthropomorphic Bat (Savage Species, page 216) is a Small Monstrous Humanoid with +0 level adjustment. (You don't "start as a Bat", because that's an Animal and not suitable for player use.) Feral (Savage Species, page 116) is an inherited template which can be applied to a Monstrous Humanoid, with +1 level adjustment. Half-Ogre (Dragon # 313, pages 95-96) is an inherited template which can be applied to a Small Monstrous Humanoid, with +1 level adjustment. The resulting creature would be a Medium Monstrous Humanoid with +2 level adjustment and 1 racial hit die of Monstrous Humanoid. Unlike the common case where you would exchange 1 hit die of Humanoid for the first class level, you would retain your 1 racial hit die. If you took class levels thereafter you would have only the Improved Grab ability from the Special Attacks section of the Feral template (based on your 1 monster hit die) but could acquire the Feral Special Qualities (based on total hit dice). Your starting skills would be based on that Monstrous Humanoid hit die.
    Skill points equal to (2 + Int modifier, minimum 1) per Hit Die, with quadruple skill points for the first Hit Die.
    Your class skills would be those listed in the creature description (Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Spot). With 1 class level your ECL would be 4.

Please note the following rule which applies to Savage Species and other D&D content which existed before the 3.5 update of D&D:
    This is an upgrade of the d20 System, not a new edition of the game. This revision is compatible with all existing products, and those products can be used with the revision with only minor adjustments.
    Your DM may make adjustments, possibly including level adjustment.

A 299 Yes.

As noted above, you will need to talk to your DM about any adjustments they feel necessary to bring older content into their 3.5 game.

17. - Top - End - #557
    Banned

Q300
    Is it permissible for a multiclass Cleric/Favored Soul to be clerically devoted to one deity while being the Favored Soul of a different one, assuming both are permissible due to alignment, race, and similar restrictions? (This question can also extend to a combination of either class with Divine Mind, although both FSoul and DivM specifically say "choose a deity" while Cleric allows you to choose a "cause", making it mechanically possible to combine with either of the other classes even if multiple deities are impossible.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-06-20 at 03:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #558
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A300
    RAW there is nothing to prevent this - particularly as the rules support clerics of pantheons or even of entire planes!

Flavour-wise this would only really make sense if the deities work as a pantheon so a cleric of the pantheon who primarily serves on of them is favoured by another.
    If you are favoured by one deity and then choose to be a preist of another, the first deity should start asking some quite tough questions unless your favouring deity is a servant of your cleric deity.

19. - Top - End - #559
    Pixie in the Playground

Q301
    Telepathy is an ability usable by some creatures. Telepathy by its nature is a Divination type effect, which can be shown by all Telepathy spells (that I can find) having the Divination descriptor.

Is there anywhere that it is stated that Telepathy (the ability) is a divination effect?

20. - Top - End - #560
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 301 No.

The Monster Manual Glossary definition establishes on page 316 that Telepathy is Supernatural, but it's just a communication ability, not Divination magic.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A300
    If you are favoured by one deity and then choose to be a preist of another, the first deity should start asking some quite tough questions unless your favouring deity is a servant of your cleric deity.
    The scenario I was imagining was that the character signs up to become a cleric of one deity, only to later discover himself to be the FS of another - quite possibly one opposed to the first. Instant angst and dramatic tension. It works best if the cleric deity is Good and the favoring one is Evil, so the Good one doesn't want to punish the C/FS for having been "infected" by a rival, and keeps empowering him as a way of helping him stay on the "right" side, or at least not on the "wrong" one. The FS'er hopes that the temptation of powers which come more naturally will prove irresistable and he'll be seduced to the dark side. There are probably other versions of the concept but this seems to be the best fit.

(That's probably as much as I should say here; if you think the conversation has legs I can start a new thread and we can jaw about it further.)

22. - Top - End - #562
    Banned

Q302
    If a spell/power's casting/manifesting time is "1 immediate action", can you choose to cast/manifest it at a standard action instead in order to use your swift action for the turn for something else? For example, the Ardent Life Mantle power "From the Brink" is an immediate action, and the Life mantle's granted power lets you increase your manifester level by 1 as a swift action (by expending your focus). So can you leave your buddy at death's door until your next action, manifest FtB as a standard action, power it up with the Life granted power and your swift action, and thereby heal your buddy of 1 more damage than if you had manifested FtB out of turn order?

Q303
    Are you required to have an adequate score in Intelligence, Wisdom or Charisma when activating a Wand? Or is that just scrolls? Also, when you have an Arcane scroll, do you need to match the Intelligence if the spell was scribed by a Wizard, and the Charisma if its author was a Sorcerer, or is it the same spell in either case and you can meet either prerequisite?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-06-20 at 09:40 AM.

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    The scenario I was imagining was that the character signs up to become a cleric of one deity, only to later discover himself to be the FS of another - quite possibly one opposed to the first. Instant angst and dramatic tension. It works best if the cleric deity is Good and the favoring one is Evil, so the Good one doesn't want to punish the C/FS for having been "infected" by a rival, and keeps empowering him as a way of helping him stay on the "right" side, or at least not on the "wrong" one. The FS'er hopes that the temptation of powers which come more naturally will prove irresistable and he'll be seduced to the dark side. There are probably other versions of the concept but this seems to be the best fit.

(That's probably as much as I should say here; if you think the conversation has legs I can start a new thread and we can jaw about it further.)
    Choosing a class for a level is an active choice. If the character did that, I would revoke all the powers granted by the cleric god.

Being favored by a supernatural entity has nothing to do with class level. Anyone could have grown fond of the character for whatever reason and help him. I remember that scene from one of R.A Salvatore's books where the band of drow hunting Drizzt muse about whether he is really favored by Lolth. think about it, has there ever been more chaos in Menzoberranzan than during the time of Drizzt's adventures there?

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 303

There is no ability requirement to use a wand, just a class-provided "special knowledge of spellcasting". For scrolls, there is no information in any scroll specific to the creator other than the scroll being arcane or divine. As such, you use your own spellcasting ability to complete the spell.

25. - Top - End - #565
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 303

There is no ability requirement to use a wand, just a class-provided "special knowledge of spellcasting". For scrolls, there is no information in any scroll specific to the creator other than the scroll being arcane or divine. As such, you use your own spellcasting ability to complete the spell.
    Apologies, I should have clarified - I was referring to UMDing the scroll. Say you're a Rogue with an 8 Intelligence and an 18 Charisma; if your wizard buddy scribes a scroll and hands it to you, can you use your Charisma to UMD it as if it was Sorcerer magic?

By the way....
    Q304
    If you roll UMD to activate a wand and fail, do you still expend a charge from the wand for the attempt? For uses other than Activate Blindly, is there any consequence for failing a UMD attempt with a roll other than 1?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-06-20 at 10:03 AM.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Apologies, I should have clarified - I was referring to UMDing the scroll. Say you're a Rogue with an 8 Intelligence and an 18 Charisma; if your wizard buddy scribes a scroll and hands it to you, can you use your Charisma to UMD it as if it was Sorcerer magic?
    Yes. If you can find a class which has that spell on their list and uses a particular spellcasting ability for the type of scroll (arcane or divine), you can use that as the "appropriate" ability score with Use Magic Device. You're "tricking" the device to activate via skill, not doing any magic yourself, so any appropriate ability will do.

A 304 No, and no.

Note that Activate Blindly is the only option available to you if you haven't identified the spell contained in a scroll, wand, or staff.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-06-20 at 10:39 AM.

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A302 No.
    There is nothing in the rules that let you use move-equivalent/standard/full round etc. actions for swift of immediate actions.

I you want to have your swift action this round you can give up next round's one by using the immediate directly after you end your turn. If you want next round's you can use an immediate action during your turn thus replacing this turn's swift action as normal (i.e. there is no requirement to take an immediate action out of your turn, just the ability so to do).

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Q305

Using the Initiate of Mystra feat, can I cast a Suppressing/Impressing Field (choosing abjuration) to completely block an Antimagic Field?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 306: How do I determine what the base attack bonus progression will be for this level of a gestalt character?

1 Barbarian 1/Pyschic Warrior 1
    2 Barbarian 2/Pyschic Warrior 2
    3 Barbarian 3/Pyschic Warrior 3
    4 Barbarian 4/Pyschic Warrior 4
    5 Barbarian 5/Psychic Warrior 5
    6 Warhulk 1/Psychic Warrior 6
    7 Warhulk 2/Psychic Warrior 7

I assume at character level 1-5, its full bab because the barbarian is better than the Pyschic Warrior, but character level 6-7 warhulk does not have a BAB, and according to level 6 and 7 of psychic warrior it goes from 4 to 5.

Do I even gain any BAB?

30. - Top - End - #570
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    A302 No.
    There is nothing in the rules that let you use move-equivalent/standard/full round etc. actions for swift of immediate actions.

I you want to have your swift action this round you can give up next round's one by using the immediate directly after you end your turn. If you want next round's you can use an immediate action during your turn thus replacing this turn's swift action as normal (i.e. there is no requirement to take an immediate action out of your turn, just the ability so to do).
    But using the Life granted power to boost a power which is manifested as an immediate action remains impossible? This seems odd.