New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526272829304570 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 306

Psychic Warrior levels 6 and 7 both increase your Base Attack Bonus by 1 point each. Total BAB is +7.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #572
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 306

Psychic Warrior levels 6 and 7 both increase your Base Attack Bonus by 1 point each. Total BAB is +7.
    This is an obvious interpretation, but is it technically correct? Is it stated anywhere in the books that the tables are not authoritative, rather than that the "+4" and "+5" lines literally mean "your base attack bonus from all of your psychic warrior levels becomes equal to the value on the table?" I don't know of a rule saying that a level "adds" to your base attack bonus, which would imply that the table was a summary rather than a characteristic-defining source.

(Apologies in the extremely likely event I am not making sense. I mostly want to see if Curmudgeon has an answer for even this abstruse and baffling of a technical point.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-06-21 at 01:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    This is an obvious interpretation, but is it technically correct? Is it stated anywhere in the books that the tables are not authoritative, rather than that the "+4" and "+5" lines literally mean "your base attack bonus from all of your psychic warrior levels becomes equal to the value on the table?" I don't know of a rule saying that a level "adds" to your base attack bonus, which would imply that the table was a summary rather than a characteristic-defining source.

(Apologies in the extremely likely event I am not making sense. I mostly want to see if Curmudgeon has an answer for even this abstruse and baffling of a technical point.)
    Seriously?

Okay, Player's Handbook 3.5, page 58. It's the section that describes the level-up process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Level Advancement
    2. Base Attack Bonus: The base attack bonus for fighters, barbarians, rangers, and paladins increase by 1 every level. The base attack bonus for other characters increases at a slower rate. If your character's base attack bonus changes, record it on your character sheet.
    Please note the usage of the word "increase."

EDIT: As an aside, if you only care about Curmudgeon's answer, please PM him rather than posting in a public thread. TY!
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-06-21 at 01:21 AM.

4. - Top - End - #574
    Banned

Ah. Okay, nevermind. I'm in a weird mood today. (As opposed to every other day when I'm also in a weird mood, but a different one.)

5. - Top - End - #575
    Ogre in the Playground

RE: 306: I can see the merit in the discussion, that's why I asked, it seemed off to me, given the wording in Unearthed Arcana.

... the larger Hit Die. A monk/sorcerer would
    use d8 as her Hit Die and have 8 hit points (plus Constitution
    modifi er) at 1st level, for example.

Base Attack Bonus: Choose the better progression from the
    two classes.

Base Saving Throw Bonuses: For each...
    To me, the confusion was, it seemed to setup a precedence that if you had technically chosen the better of the two progressions at any given level in the past levels didn't matter.

Of course from the answers here it seems like each side is always in effect in the cases of saves and base attack bonus, you just don't use one side or the other if it happens to be weaker.

That probably doesn't make much sense, and I, like most things in d&d am reading way to far into the intended meanings lol.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

6. - Top - End - #576
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    RE: 306: I can see the merit in the discussion, that's why I asked, it seemed off to me, given the wording in Unearthed Arcana.

To me, the confusion was, it seemed to setup a precedence that if you had technically chosen the better of the two progressions at any given level in the past levels didn't matter.

Of course from the answers here it seems like each side is always in effect in the cases of saves and base attack bonus, you just don't use one side or the other if it happens to be weaker.

That probably doesn't make much sense, and I, like most things in d&d am reading way to far into the intended meanings lol.
    Your best solution would probably be to use the fractional BAB progression. Look at that level only, and compare the two. Is it +1/2, +1/3 or +1. Take the better of the two. I know it's an optional rule, but all of my groups have used it with Gestalt campaigns and it works very nicely.
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

7. - Top - End - #577
    Pixie in the Playground

Q307

Does the Unarmed Swordsage AC Bonus stack with a Monks?

8. - Top - End - #578
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 308

An 8th level psion with 13 dex manifests Crystal Shard. Assuming they have no feats or items to boost their to-hit, their rolls is 1d20 + 4 [BAB] + 1 [Dex].

However, if this Psion has a Psicrystal, they can use the 'Deliver Touch Power (su)' ability of the psycrystal to have their psicrystal deliver the attack for them. Because they use the medium BAB track instead of the poor track, a level 8 psicrystal with one of it's level-up stat increases placed into dex will roll the attack as 1d20 + 6 [BAB] + 4 [Size] +3 Dex].

Is this correct? Or....

A. Psicrystals use their owners BAB
    B. Psicrystals cannot improve their dex bonus as they do not normally have the stat, the self propulsion ability grants them one temporarily.
    C. Deliver Touch Power only effects melee touch attacks, not ranged touch attacks
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Banned

A308
    Deliver Touch Powers doesn't actually work as written, because a Psicrystal gets no attacks. Anything that allows a psicrystal to make attacks, even touch attacks, is a houserule.

10. - Top - End - #580
    Bugbear in the Playground

A308
    Deliver Touch Powers doesn't actually work as written, because a Psicrystal gets no attacks. Anything that allows a psicrystal to make attacks, even touch attacks, is a houserule.
    I shall make a thread later to discuss how it -should- work then. Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

11. - Top - End - #581
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

A308
    Wait, what? I (really) might be wrong, but this has no bearing whatsoever on that ability. The Psicrystal merely has no attack routine listed, which doesn't mean it gets no attacks. It might be immobile normally, but it does have the self-propulsion ability for that. Regardless, again, I might be wrong, but I don't know of any piece of rule pointing towards that interpretation.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

12. - Top - End - #582
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Contranym View Post
    Q307

Does the Unarmed Swordsage AC Bonus stack with a Monks?
    A307: As an untyped bonus, it should stack. The class description doesn't say anything about it not stacking with Monk abilities, so I'd say the rules are in your favor.
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

13. - Top - End - #583

ElfRangerGuy

A308
    The psicrystal does get attacks. It is a construct and it has HD.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

14. - Top - End - #584
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 307 correction

They do not stack.

First of all, any bonuses from the same named source (the "AC Bonus" class feature) won't stack, even if they're untyped.

Second of all, the two abilities don't even function at the same time. A monk's AC Bonus only applies when wearing no armor. The swordsage's AC Bonus only applies when wearing light armor.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryr View Post
    The psicrystal does get attacks. It is a construct and it has HD.
    Well now, that's interesting. I never noticed before that the "(unless noted otherwise in the creature's description)" note is only appended after "An X has the following features" for Humanoid and Animal; by a strict reading that would mean that the default features of all other monsters overwrite any information in the monster's actual entry. However I find it very hard to believe this is actually how you're intended to read it (as it would somewhat undercut the purpose of selling more books, if they contained information that couldn't actually be applied).

By this logic, a psicrystal will always have at least 1 BAB if its master is level 2 or above, since it has the same Hit Dice as the master (with HP permanently fixed at half of his). However the psicrystal's entry in the EPH very specifically says "BAB/Grapple: +0/-17" and "Attack: --" and "Full Attack: --". So unless the Monster Manual is actually allowed to permanently contradict any and all future supplements, I'd say the EPH is the binding source here.

16. - Top - End - #586

ElfRangerGuy

unless the Monster Manual is actually allowed to permanently contradict any and all future supplements, I'd say the EPH is the binding source here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Errata Rules
    When you find a disagreement between two D&D® rules sources, unless an official errata file says otherwise, the primary source is correct. One example of a primary/secondary source is text taking precedence over a table entry. An individual spell description takes precedence when the short description in the beginning of the spells chapter disagrees.

Another example of primary vs. secondary sources involves book and topic precedence. The Player's Handbook, for example, gives all the rules for playing the game, for playing PC races, and for using base class descriptions. If you find something on one of those topics from the DUNGEON MASTER's Guide or the Monster Manual that disagrees with the Player's Handbook, you should assume the Player's Handbook is the primary source. The DUNGEON MASTER's Guide is the primary source for topics such as magic item descriptions, special material construction rules, and so on. The Monster Manual is the primary source for monster descriptions, templates, and supernatural, extraordinary, and spell-like abilities. Note: The most recent updates are shaded like this.

Monster Manual trumps EPH
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-22 at 08:35 AM.
    Currently playing:

17. - Top - End - #587
    Ogre in the Playground

Agreed Aeryr, except you missed one line: A monster’s statistics block supersedes the descriptive text.

So is deliver touch attack descriptive text? Is the descriptive text where the construct type qualities are listed? Or since type is mentioned in the statistics block, is there a direct contradiction within the statistics block?Probably worth discussion in another thread based on this, either dysfunctional rules, RACSD, or both.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-06-22 at 08:39 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

18. - Top - End - #588
    Banned

@ Mattie_P: I agree, one or both of those threads would be a fitting place to bring this up. More likely Dysfunctional because I'm not sure anything about a psionic crystal manifested from a fragment of your personality, which crawls around on ectoplasmic legs and "psionically" sees perfectly in darkness but can't Mindlink with you from more than a mile away, can be regarded as Common Sense.

Q309
    Other than the Warlock's Deceive Item class feature, is there any other method of gaining the ability to Take 10 on a Use Magic Device check? Does any such method at all exist for Use Psionic Device?

Q310
    Is there a deity in Greyhawk associated specifically with Hags? Complete Divine doesn't appear to list one.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-06-22 at 09:59 AM.

19. - Top - End - #589
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 311: Is there a limit to how many Diminutive swarms can fit into the same square as a medium or large creature?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

20. - Top - End - #590
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 312

Can a small size creature throw a medium size dagger? If so do they take more than the standard -2 penalty for size?
    Last edited by SeeDed; 2012-06-22 at 10:21 AM.

21. - Top - End - #591
    Ogre in the Playground

A 309 Artificer level 13 provides the ability to take 10 on UMD, which is normally disallowed.

To my knowledge, there is no RAW way to gain the ability to take 10 on UPD.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

22. - Top - End - #592
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A 309 Artificer level 13 provides the ability to take 10 on UMD, which is normally disallowed.
    Okay, I'll rephrase. Is there any non-class-specific way to get to take 10 on UMD? A feat or a wondrous item or a Planar Touchstone or some other widget that any character could potentially gain, rather than something that you would be automatically locked out of if you didn't build for the right class?

23. - Top - End - #593

ElfRangerGuy

A 309

Maybe. Hardened criminal [feat] from stormreach might work. It allows to take 10 on a skill of your choosing. I say maybe because specific trumps general and:

Quote Originally Posted by UMD
    You cannot take 10 with this skill.
    Hardened criminal doesn't specifically says what happens if the player picks UMD while the warlock/artificer specifically allow to take 10 in UMD.

I personally do not know of any legally RAW way to take 10 in UMD without specific class levels.
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-22 at 01:03 PM.
    Currently playing:

24. - Top - End - #594

RangerGuy

Q310

Hi! Resolute Alternate Class feature from Complete Champion. It allows the fighter (or anyone who has a fighter level) to sacrifice half his base attack bonus to get that very same value to his Will save. As immediate action. My question is, does it has a limit of uses per day?
    But the strong man is stronger when alone.

25. - Top - End - #595

Q311

A: Is there any way for someone other then the caster of Leomund's secret chest to summon back the chest (If they had the mini model of it)

UMD check?

(And not wish:P)

B: If the caster of Leomund's secret chest was to lose his mini is there any way to get his/her/its stuff back?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

26. - Top - End - #596
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q312
    Can I convert an attack into a bull rush when using Whirlwind Attack?
    Last edited by D@rK-SePHiRoTH-; 2012-06-23 at 01:24 AM.

27. - Top - End - #597
    Ettin in the Playground

A 312

No. Bull Rush is an option for the Charge, Whirlwind attack is an alternative to the normal Full Attack.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-06-23 at 02:02 AM.

28. - Top - End - #598
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Note: We've got some question number duplication here. I've noted [first] and [second] where necessary to disambiguate the answers.

A 309 additional info

The Rogue Skill Mastery special ability would normally allow them to "take 10", but does not override the Use Magic Device exception.
    Upon gaining this ability, she selects a number of skills equal to 3 + her Intelligence modifier. When making a skill check with one of these skills, she may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent her from doing so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardened Criminal
    In addition, you can take 10 on any checks with one skill chosen at the time you take this feat, even under conditions when taking 10 would normally be impossible.
    Because these benefits are both expressed conditionally (the highlighted parts), I don't see any support for Hardened Criminal overriding the UMD exception to "taking 10".

A 311 No.

Leomund's Secret Chest is an active spell while the large chest is on the Ethereal Plane, and only the caster of the spell is enabled to use its magical recall option. The miniature chest is a focus, not a device with intrinsic magic, so there is no "activation" possibility with Use Magic Device. With the miniature chest and knowledge of how the spell works one could mount an expedition to the Ethereal Plane to find the large chest.

A 310 [first]

Syrul is also known as "The Night Hag". See here.

A 310 [second] No.

The limits are just the immediate action activation, and the Supernatural nature of the action (which prevents use in an Antimagic Field).

A 311 [first] Yes.
    Twenty-five Diminutive creatures or 100 Fine creatures can fit into a single square.
    This applies to swarms as well as singular creatures.

A 312 [first] Yes, and no.
    Inappropriately Sized Weapons

A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder.

29. - Top - End - #599
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Q 313
    If a character has 50ft average maneuverability flight speed it needs to move at least 25ft/round not to fall. So the character can not cast a full-round spells flying (and not falling). Is that correct (feather fall and like aside)?

30. - Top - End - #600

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Leomund's Secret Chest is an active spell while the large chest is on the Ethereal Plane, and only the caster of the spell is enabled to use its magical recall option. The miniature chest is a focus, not a device with intrinsic magic, so there is no "activation" possibility with Use Magic Device. With the miniature chest and knowledge of how the spell works one could mount an expedition to the Ethereal Plane to find the large chest.
    Thanks for that, at least it solves the problem of mages which should have loads of loot but would unbalence the PC's on the off chance they kill the mage.

Q314

Do Zombies turn into Skeletons after a certain amount of time? Or does the magic stop them from rotting anymore?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!