New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435365176 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 382 Followup
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    The MM Errata says:
    And the SRD doesn't have that sentence at all, and I'm assuming it already applied to errata. Am I correct that the limit doesn't exist for neither invocation nor the change shape ability?
    I have to apologize: I did miss the erratum. (The Monster Manual Errata file doesn't have all the corrections in order, and I started at the end looking for changes to page 306.) But now that I've researched this more thoroughly, that answer is going to depend on whether you're playing by the book (Monster Manual) or official System Reference Document, located here at wizards.com. (The relevant RTF file is here.) You're apparently referring to one of the more user-friendly HTML versions of the SRD, such as this one or this other one. These both incorporate errata to the D&D books mixed in with the System Reference Document. The official SRD retains the size limit as originally published in Monster Manual. Assuming you're playing by the books, you're correct.

A 390 Yes.

Scales provides a bonus to natural armor. An Amulet of Natural Armor provides an enhancement bonus to your natural armor bonus. These are different bonus types, and they stack.

A 393

In a class description, "level" refers to levels in that class unless explicitly stated otherwise. Rogue levels do not alter your Assassin death attack.
    If the victim of such an attack fails a Fortitude save (DC 10 + the assassin’s class level + the assassin’s Int modifier) against the kill effect, she dies.
    The DC statement is very explicit in referencing the Assassin class level, not character level or hit dice.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 393

Does spells like Detect Magic allow you to see/detect the presence of someone who is invisible?

If so would the invisible person still count as fully concealed and the caster just knowing which square they are in?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

3. - Top - End - #753
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A392 Sorry but this has no RAW answer - the "Quintessential X" books are not WotC material.

I cannot properly try to answer the question because Greater Flurry is also not from a WotC source.

So allowing for all that, I would work out Flurry of Blows as if a Monk of level [Monk Levvel] + [MoSF level] then apply "Greater Flurry" (and the possible extra +2 if appropriate) to give the actual attack sequence.

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 393 Maybe.

Detect Magic can, over 3 rounds, let you determine the location of a magical aura. However, if an invisible person is not fixed in one position for all 3 rounds you would have to start over each round and the spell will be unable to determine their location. Should the invisible person remain in the same place for 3 rounds, a successful Spellcraft check could determine that there's Illusion school magic in that location. That would be the limit of what you could determine: not that there's a person, or that they're invisible. That same reading would occur with a Nystul's Magic Aura spell anywhere in the same square, for instance. An invisible person remains untargetable.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

Q394 What ways are there to gain Alter Self (or an equivalent ability; however, the Humanoid Form invocation would NOT work) for a non-caster?
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

6. - Top - End - #756
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 395

Can I purchase/make a magical item with an enhancement bonus outside its normal location? In other words, can I put a natural armor bonus onto something like boots or a headband instead of the amulet body slot?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
    Last edited by Tarinth; 2012-07-05 at 11:32 AM.
    "I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

7. - Top - End - #757
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 395

Yes, you can craft items with non-standard body slot locations. See the rules here.
    Wondrous items that don’t match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more than wondrous items that match the affinity.

8. - Top - End - #758
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

A 395, additional

See also the Magic item Compendium, which lists multiple "acceptable" body slots for various types of effects. Placing an effect of the proper type in any of those slots would be at normal cost, not +50%, even if it isn't the "normal" location.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

9. - Top - End - #759
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 396

Is there a spell list similar to the lists found at www.irossco.com/dnd/index.htm for the classes, but that contains spells also from the spell compendium?

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

A 396: Yes

Curmudgeon previously pointed me to this spell search, which seems pretty exhaustive. Note, it does not provide details on spells outside of the SRD, you must still have access to those sources.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Dwarf in the Playground

Re: Q 395

Forgive my computer failings please, but I cannot find a PDF reader of the Magic Item Compendium or any site that has reproduced it's rules. Could someone post a link or state the alternate body slots in this thread.

"I am TARINTH, slayer of dragons and eater of souls!"...The orc scratches his head. "Who?"

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinth View Post
    Re: Q 395

Forgive my computer failings please, but I cannot find a PDF reader of the Magic Item Compendium or any site that has reproduced it's rules. Could someone post a link or state the alternate body slots in this thread.

Wizards of the Coast has never sold PDF versions of Magic Item Compendium. You'll have to locate a paper copy, or work with the information available in the Dungeon Master's Guide (or equivalent SRD material, to which I linked).

The following excerpts from Magic Item Compendium are available online:
    Anything else is outside the scope of what can be disclosed under this site's rules.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Dwarf in the Playground

A 395

Meh, no wonder they are $60 on amazon. I'll have to hit somebody up at a hobby shop for a photocopy or something. Thanks anyway.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

Regarding Q/A 395 While outside the scope of this thread, I recommend you check a second-hand or used bookstore in your area. I recently priced a copy of Magic Item Compendium for $7.50 US. You might also consider posting a flyer and/or ask at your local gaming shop.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-07-05 at 07:00 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 397

What is the speed of a creature with a base speed of 20ft. while wearing mithral mechanus gear?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-07-06 at 01:02 AM.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 397 10'.

Mithral construction reduces armor by one weight category. The speed reduction of medium and heavy armor is the same. Mechanus gear armor reduces speed by half.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

A 397 Clarification

Woops I meant 30 ft. So for such a creature the speed would be 15 ft, but x4 running, right?

Q 398

Do you benefit from all the stuff that enhances a charge (heedless charge, valorous weapon etc.) on a dive attack granted by Improved Draconic Wings?

Q 399

Help me calculating the damage of a leap attack (post errata) with a BAB of 6, 18 STR, power Attack/Heedless Charge for -6 AB/AC and a +1 valorous falchion, please.

Is it 2*(2d4+7+24)?

Does being in the Leading the Charge stance add damage of initiator level or initiator level*2 to the aforementioned attack?

Q 400

What's the caster level and thus duration for the keen edge spell cast from a Scabbard of Keen Edges?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-07-06 at 10:36 AM.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 400 Caster Level 5 = 50 minutes. (It's the minimum to cast a 3rd level spell and given in the item description as linked.)

19. - Top - End - #769
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 397 Clarification Yes.

A 398 No.

A dive attack works like a charge, but only the charge special full-round action benefits from improvements to charges. You would only benefit from improvements specific to dive attacks.

A 399 4d4+38.

Shock Trooper with the Heedless Charge tactical option does not change Power Attack damage.

A falchion is a 2-handed melee weapon. Using Power Attack for 6
    Quote Originally Posted by Power Attack
    If you attack with a two-handed weapon, or with a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands, instead add twice the number subtracted from your attack rolls.
    the normal bonus damage from Power Attack is therefore +12. Leap Attack, with a 10'+ Jump, adds +100% the normal bonus damage from your use of the Power Attack feat (+12). The Valorous weapon property deals double damage on a charge: 2x [2d4+1 (weapon damage) +12 (normal Power Attack bonus damage)]. To that you add the Leap Attack bonus, which is not subject to further doubling.

The total is 4d4+38. Leading the Charge's bonus is to allies. Because other White Raven maneuvers refer to "you and allies" for their benefits (examples: Lion's Roar, Tactics of the Wolf, War Master's Charge) this benefit would seem to exclude you.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-07-06 at 01:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 400 Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    For other magic items, the caster level is determined by the creator. The minimum caster level is that which is needed to meet the prerequisites given.
    So you could create wondrous items with a higher caster level. But then you would have to use the guidelines for creating magic items to determine the price, right?

21. - Top - End - #771
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 400 Clarification

With the Craft Wondrous Item feat you could create a custom magic item with a different caster level. Your individual DM would set the price, where the primary guideline is comparison with other items of similar worth.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Q 401

Was there ever an expansion to the Duskblade spell list? I only know of the spells in Player's Handbook 2, but thats all.
    Last edited by Alcatraz497; 2012-07-06 at 03:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

Q 402: If a warforged takes the Dragonborn of Bahamut template, thus losing their composite plating racial feature, can they still take the "XXX Body" line of feats at first level (Ironwood Body, Adamantine Body, etc.)?

Q 403: The Dragonborn of Bahamut template eliminates most of the base creature's original racial traits, but it retains its original subtype, meaning that a dragonborn warforged would retain the "Living Construct" subtype. Does this mean that it also retains its construct resistances, immunities and weaknesses (immunity to poison/sleep/disease/fatigue etc., weakness to rusting grasp, and so on)?

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 402

You've got the order wrong. The Rite of Rebirth can only happen after "birth" (character creation), and a Warforged's hit dice are derived from their selected class levels (i.e., it has no racial hit dice). So you can take Adamantine Body to improve your racial composite plating trait, and then lose both the trait and any improvements to that trait with the Rite of Rebirth.

A 403

You would retain the living construct subtype. Under Living Construct Subtype (Ex) (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 23) that is described as Features plus Warforged Traits. You keep only the listed retained traits (Racial Hit Dice, Ability Modifiers, Size, Speed, Languages, Favored Class, and Level Adjustment) and "You lose all other racial traits of your original race". You retain the Features:
    A warforged derives its Hit Dice, base attack bonus progression, saving throws, and skill points from the class it selects.
    You also lose all Construct type traits when you become a Humanoid. See THE MECHANICS OF REBIRTH sidebar on page 10 of Races of the Dragon. They note that you may replace an existing feat with a 1st level-only dragonborn feat with the Rite of Rebirth: this transformation is not available until later (than when you select 1st level feats).
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-07-06 at 06:32 PM.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground

Q 402 follow-up: Does that mean that I can still qualify for prestige classes that require those feats, even if I gain no benefit from them? For example, could I qualify for the Warforged Juggernaut prestige class as a dragonborn warforged who took the Adamantine Body feat at first level?

Q 404: If I use an effect with a limited duration that changes my form (alter self, the metamorphosis power, etc.), alongside the Metamorphic Transfer feat to grant myself a (Su) ability that has a duration longer than the original effect that changed my form, do I continue to benefit from that ability after the original effect expires?
    Last edited by Piggy Knowles; 2012-07-06 at 06:44 PM.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground

A392
    Flurry is advanced as it is in the 3.5 Player's handbook - reducing the penalty to -1 at an effective Monk level of 5 and to -0 at an effective Monk level of 9. If a Master of the Secret Fist already has 9+ levels of Monk, its Flurry advancement does nothing.
    Last edited by eggs; 2012-07-06 at 07:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 402 follow-up Yes.

Warforged Juggernaut requires Warforged race (not Construct type), and Adamantine Body feat (not its benefit). You would qualify as a Dragonborn Warforged.

A 404

If it's an ability with a specified duration from when you decide to use it, that ability continues to function for the duration even if you no longer have the capability to begin a new use. If it's an ongoing ability dependent on the form then the ability stops when you no longer have that form.

28. - Top - End - #778
    Banned

Q405
    Can the Necropolitan template be taken at 1st level if the DM handwaves that the Ritual of Crucimigration is in the character's backstory? Does he start out 1000 gold in debt or anything like that?

Q406
    Assuming that the answer to the above is "yes" or that there's some other +0 LA undead template I don't know about, if I'm building a brand-new undead character, can I take a meldshaping class and spend my feat on Undead Meldshaper to make the class work, or do I have to have that feat (or be alive) in order to take a meldshaping class in the first place?

Q407
    Is the once-per-day duration of Wild Shape measured from when you assume the form or when you return to your normal shape?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-06 at 10:36 PM.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 405 No.

There is no option in the game to have negative wealth.
    The petition for consideration requires a fee of 3,000 gp and a written plea.
    You must pay this 3,000 gp from your character's wealth. This is the "by RAW" thread, so if you want house rules instead you should ask your individual DM.

A 406 N/A.

A 407

Durations in D&D are measured from when effects are initiated.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-07-06 at 10:45 PM.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 408: Feral, Anthropomorphic Bat. If I'm correct, movement speed on land is 15 ft. If this creature gets medium or heavy armor, what is the new movement speed?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/