New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 91 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435363738394041425782 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 470 No.

Any container described as nondimensional doesn't have interior dimensions, just weight and volume limits. As for size limits for the openings, you'll need to take that up with your individual DM because the rules don't provide any guidance. Anything up to what would fit into the compartment openings of a mundane backpack is fine, and beyond that it's a matter for DM discretion.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A 432

Nothing. No special interaction is listed for any of the above.
    You know, I thought I'd read a generic rule for interactions between extraplanar containers somewhere. But I may be remembering wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

A470 cont.

Actually, Bags of Holding do have their exterior size listed, so you can extrapolate the size of the opening from that:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    This appears to be a common cloth sack about 2 feet by 4 feet in size.
    Main reason I know this is that my current DM enforces it fairly strictly.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 470 cont.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Actually, Bags of Holding do have their exterior size listed, so you can extrapolate the size of the opening from that:
    This appears to be a common cloth sack about 2 feet by 4 feet in size.
    The question is: which is the opening measurement? 4' circumference vs. 2' circumference (or other shapes with the same periphery lengths) when you open the sack up makes a significant difference. It's easy enough to make a sack either tall or squat.

5. - Top - End - #935
    Banned

Logically, the designer of the bag would probably prefer to make it squat and wide-mouthed if this were possible; the depth of the bag wouldn't actually matter after all.

6. - Top - End - #936
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Another problem with this is what happens if you reverse the bag, turning it (or parts of it) inside out. In this case, you could argue that any item in the vicinity to the cloth is "inside" and you could re-invert the bag without having to pay respect to the size of the object, since it is already non-dimensional...

7. - Top - End - #937
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q 472

Is there a spell or power which causes memory wipe?
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #938
    Troll in the Playground

A472 Modify memory (and the psionic version) and mindrape come to mind [ha]. Mind seed may or may not. There's probably a few more I missed from other sourcebooks.

EDIT: Programmed Amnesia [CArc]. Can't believe I forgot that one.
    Last edited by Siosilvar; 2012-07-16 at 10:38 AM.

9. - Top - End - #939
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q473
    Do Hydra Zombies retain the ability to attack with all their heads at no penalty, even if they move or charge during the round? If yes, how does a Zombie's Single Actions Only special quality affect this?

10. - Top - End - #940
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

A 473 Yes.

A hydra can attack with all of its heads as an attack action, as indicated in its entry. The zombie special quality limits the creature to a single move or attack action. Therefore, a zombie hydra can attack with all heads as an attack action.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

11. - Top - End - #941
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Q474

So if you somehow got a permanent silence effect, you would be immune to all sonic or language based effects(Originating outside the silence effects, orginators within the effect can make a save and SR applies to counteract the silence), automatically succeed on move silently checks, arguably be undetectable by certain forms of blindsense/tremorsense? If so why doesn't everyone wear shackles of silence(6000gp) and talk in sign language?
    Quote Originally Posted by ahenobarbi View Post
    I figure that's why d&d gods do so little - they're busy taking psychotherapy sessions to get rid of all the voices they hear.
    May have a optimization addiction.

12. - Top - End - #942
    Ettin in the Playground

A 474

If the effect is like the spell then, yes you would get all that. The shackles are pretty useless as sonic defense because they are shackles. If someone "wears" them his hands are tied together. If you break them, the magic is gone.

13. - Top - End - #943
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 475

If you are a Dvati with the cooperative Spell feat, could you use your twin to reap the benefit?

14. - Top - End - #944
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 476

Attacks of opprtunity take place before the action that provoked them is completed. Which actions that provoke AoOs are prevented from bing completeted if the AoO hits?

15. - Top - End - #945
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A476

An AoO can prevent the completion of the provoking action in the following circumstances:
    1) The provoking action is spellcasting.
    2) The result of the AoO makes the provoking action impossible, independent of it being an AoO.
    3) The character making the AoO has a special ability that makes the AoO prevent the action.

In case 1, the damage from the AoO counts as being during the casting and therefore forces a concentration check.

Case 2 can result from situations such as tripping someone who attempted to move or disarming someone who attempted to use a weapon in a way that provokes. A successful trip AoO would make the provoker prone, and being prone prevents normal movement. A successful disarm, in response to someone attempting a sunder without the Improved Sunder feat for example, makes any form of attack with the weapon in question impossible. Dealing enough damage to drop the provoker to either death or unconsciousness also prevents any action he was attempting.

An example of case 3 is the feat Stand Still.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

16. - Top - End - #946
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 475 No.

You cannot "be" a Dvati and be considered separate from your twin; the Dvati creature is both twins. A Dvati creature can cast a spell if the twins work together as a single spellcaster, or with one twin casting while the other is required to take no actions. Any spell with a material component is provided only once for a spell cast by a Dvati pair, indicating that they're only casting one instance of the spell. Cooperative Spell, on the other hand, provides a benefit only with additional spellcaster(s) casting additional instance(s) of the spell.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Ogre in the Playground

Just making sure I'm not invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63 View Post
    Q469
    If you take a page out of a wizard's spellbook (as in literately remove it), could some other wizard use it to prepare spells? Assume this other wizard can make the skill checks, and that it is a first level spell, and so fits on one page.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 469 Yes.

You follow the rules for spells from borrowed spellbooks, whether that's a 1-page spellbook or any other size. A Wizard's spellbook is just a book, and has no magical properties which would be altered by removing a page.

19. - Top - End - #949

Q477: Do spells that require a ranged touch attack count as "touch spells," specifically for the purpose of a duskblade's arcane channeling ability?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

20. - Top - End - #950
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 477 No.

Touch range spells, and ranged touch spells, have similar names but are categorically different. A Duskblade's Arcane Channeling only works with touch spells spells delivered by contact with their melee weapon.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    Q 467

What happens if you advance a prestige class separate spellcasting beyond effective 10th level (like, for example, a Wizard 3/Temple Raider 7/Mystic Theurge 10 Rogue 5/Hoardstealer 7/Talon of Tiamat 8)?
    Re-submitting in the hopes of an answer.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Re-submitting in the hopes of an answer.
    A467
    Likely the same thing that would happen if you raised that class that high normally. As an example:

Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-07-16 at 08:37 PM.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

23. - Top - End - #953

HalflingPirate

Q 478

Is there pricing information for a laboratory or tools required to make Wondrous Items?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 478
    The creator also needs a fairly quiet, comfortable, and well-lit place in which to work. Any place suitable for preparing spells is suitable for making items. Creating an item requires one day per 1,000 gp in the item’s base price, with a minimum of at least one day.
    Apart from the workspace, the creation requirements for each individual item cover everything needed.

25. - Top - End - #955
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 479

Can a creature in the area of a darkness spell see things outside the area normally?

26. - Top - End - #956
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 479 Yes.

From page 79 of Rules Compendium:
    SHADOWY ILLUMINATION
    In an area of shadowy illumination, most creatures can see dimly. Creatures within this area have concealment against those who can see only dimly.

DISTANT LIGHT
    Observer in Dim Light
    : A light source can be spotted at a distance equal to 10 times its radius of illumination.
    The creature will see objects within the shadowy illumination dimly, but illuminated areas outside are readily perceived.

27. - Top - End - #957
    Banned

Nevermind my previous answer; aside from being just a guess, it was me being dumb because I forgot that the Darkness spell doesn't actually make the area completely dark. Natural mistake.

Q480
    Was the Shadow Creature template ever updated to 3.5? (I am aware of the Dark Creature template from Tome of Magic, which is not quite the same, though it is explicitly indicated as an upgrade. I'm asking about the original Shadow template instead.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-17 at 10:52 AM.

28. - Top - End - #958
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Nevermind my previous answer; aside from being just a guess, it was me being dumb because I forgot that the Darkness spell doesn't actually make the area completely dark. Natural mistake.

Q480
    Was the Shadow Creature template ever updated to 3.5? (I am aware of the Dark Creature template from Tome of Magic, which is not quite the same, though it is explicitly indicated as an upgrade. I'm asking about the original Shadow template instead.)
    A480

Yes, in Lords of Madness.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

29. - Top - End - #959

HalflingPirate

Q 481

Stacking of reach modifiers question:

Suppose a medium creature with Inhuman Reach (+5ft) is wielding a spiked chain (doubles) while under the effects of Expansion. What is that creature's reach?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 481 15' natural; 30' spiked chain.

There's no rules issue there.
    Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession).
    Multiplying

When applying multipliers to real-world values (such as weight or distance), normal rules of math apply instead.
    Stacking limits do not apply, and you multiply normally. The only significant consideration is that Inhuman Reach is +5' to your natural reach always, regardless of effects like Expansion. So with Expansion to size Large the natural reach is 10', plus 5' from Inhuman Reach. The spiked chain's reach is 2x the natural reach, for a total of 30'.