New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 91 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334353637383940414243445984 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    No, not unless you actually made melee attacks before throwing. A delay between drawing a ranged weapon and throwing it doesn't improve your qualification for Iaijutsu Focus.
    I was sort of joking, but technically, the way Iaijutsu Focus is worded, this should work:

Draw dagger to be thrown in primary hand.
    Draw dagger to not be thrown in off hand.
    Throw dagger in primary hand.

That is an attack immediately after drawing a melee weapon, but it goes against the whole idea of the skill (whereas if daggers counted as both types simultaneously it wouldn't be too bad). It doesn't actually say the attack has to be a melee attack or made with the drawn weapon, just that the weapon has to be a melee weapon. But, it doesn't really work how I had hoped, so it's a moot point.

Also, since there was some numbering issues in later posts, I'm just going to re-number this one:

Q494
    The palm throw ability of the Master Thrower says, "the master thrower does not apply her Strength bonus to either damage roll," and it has been given errata to make it a volley attack.

The Deadeye feat (Dragon Compendium) adds dex to damage with ranged weapons, but "does not increase the damage dealt to creatures immune to critical hits."

Hit-and-Run Fighter (DotU) allows you to "add your Dexterity bonus (if any) as a competence bonus on weapon damage rolls."

Targeteer Fighter (Dragon 310) allows you to "add [your] dexterity modifier to [your] damage rolls with a ranged weapon attack instead of [your] strength bonus."

Q494a Does the damage from Deadeye count as precision damage for the purpose of volley rules?

Q494b Does Hit-and-Run Fighter allow you to add Dex to both thrown weapons since it is bonus, non-precision damage?

Q494c Since Targeteer Fighter replaces your Str bonus with Dex, does this add to the damage dealt by palm throw?

Q494d Assuming 491a works, would Iaijutsu Focus' damage add to both thrown weapons when using palm throw, since it is not precision damage?

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 495

Is there a list of deities sorted by the domains they grant?

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

A495

On this page there is a document that you can download called "Living Greyhawk Deities v.2.0," on the right side of the page. It contains a list of all greyhawk dietied sorted by domains on pages 205-209.

Note that not all domains are present, but the first page has a list of the sources from which various domains are included.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks. Is there something like it for Forgotten Realms deities?

Q 496

What is the attack penalty and damage bonus for attacks of opportunity done after a heedless charge?

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

Q 497: A divine bard can't cast spells with an alignment opposed to his own. Does this only apply to bard spells, or does this restriction carry over to all spells, even those cast from other sources? Would it apply, for example, to Sublime Chord spells?
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

6. - Top - End - #996
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 495 additional info
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Thanks. Is there something like it for Forgotten Realms deities?
    See TABLE 5—I: The Faerunian PANTHEON on pages 234-236 of Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

7. - Top - End - #997
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 498

If I'm invisible and charge, does it matter if I pass the spot check in regards to triggering a sneak attack?

8. - Top - End - #998
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 498 No.
    Invisible

Visually undetectable. An invisible creature gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls against sighted opponents, and ignores its opponents’ Dexterity bonuses to AC (if any).
    Being invisible is sufficient to qualify you for sneak attack (if the target can't see through your invisibility, that is). While the enemy could notice that you're nearby with a sufficient Spot check, you remain invisible.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 499
    This question concerns the snow spider (Frostburn 154-155). Under "Initial and Secondary Damage", its poison just lists "1d[X] Dex/paralysis". What is the duration of this secondary paralysis effect?

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malimar View Post
    Q 499
    This question concerns the snow spider (Frostburn 154-155). Under "Initial and Secondary Damage", its poison just lists "1d[X] Dex/paralysis". What is the duration of this secondary paralysis effect?

Q500

Can the Create Object Salient Divine Ability create alchemic items?
    Last edited by qwertyu63; 2012-07-20 at 10:53 AM.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 501

Can Undead be nauseated?

Q 502

Bonuses to saves from items/abilities/spells apply when you use Moment of Perfect Mind/Action before Thought/Mind over Body?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-07-20 at 12:11 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Orc in the Playground

MonkGuy

A 501
    Yes they can by RAW because they are not immune to that particular condition

A 502
    They don't

Q 503
    If I use the psionic version of Abjurant Champion (as suggested in Complete Mage) does my new, improved manifester level (which is now equal to my base attack bonus) allow me to spend more power points on a single manifestation?
    Last edited by D@rK-SePHiRoTH-; 2012-07-20 at 12:13 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 500 No.

Create Object is limited to simple, nonmagical objects. Alchemical items are not simple, and have additional requirements which Create Object does not cover.
    To make an item using Craft (alchemy), you must have alchemical equipment and be a spellcaster.

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 504

Are there any Save-Or-Die or Save-or-Lose spells that can be mitigated by a Reflex save?

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A 504

It depends on how you define lose. Sticky Floor and Bands of Steel immobilize on a failed ref save. Frostbreath, and Wings of Flurry daze on a failed reflex save.

Earthquake kind of counts. In open ground, they have a turn to escape after a failed reflex save, or else they die. The DC is fixed, low, and the fissures only affect 25% of the creatures in the area.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by D@rK-SePHiRoTH- View Post
    Q 503
    If I use the psionic version of Abjurant Champion (as suggested in Complete Mage) does my new, improved manifester level (which is now equal to my base attack bonus) allow me to spend more power points on a single manifestation?
    A504
    Any increase to manifester levels, however temporary (e.g. Overchannel) should allow you to spend extra power points to augment a power up to the new limit. The only exception I know of is the Wilder's Wild Surge, which augments the power automatically without you needing to spend the extra power points.

17. - Top - End - #1007

OrcBarbarianGirl

Q505
    If I create a character with a prestige class, how do I decide it's WBL?

Q506
    What is the WBL of a level 8 druid?

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThatKreacher View Post
    Q505
    If I create a character with a prestige class, how do I decide it's WBL?

Q506
    What is the WBL of a level 8 druid?
    A506
    WBL is arbitrated by the DM so always check with them, but the standard answer is to use Table 5-1 on page 135 of the DMG. I am not aware of any system which varies WBL based on class, although I've often debated homebrewing one; per RAW, however, a 2nd-level character gets 900 gold, regardless of whether they're an Aristocrat who started with 300 gold at 1st level or a Monk who started with 12 gold and 5 silver.

A505
    Prestige classes are no different from standard classes in this regard. A Rogue 5 / Assassin 1 has the same WBL as a Rogue 6.

Q507
    If you're playing a Dragon character who's advancing by Hit Dice rather than character class, can you take advantage of Level Adjustment buyoff at every third Hit Die beyond the amount you started with as a hatchling? So for example a just-born Brass Wyrmling has 4 HD and a +2 LA; when you gain your 10th HD, can you pay experience to reduce your LA by one and remain ECL 9 for a while longer?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-21 at 12:35 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 507 No.
    Once the total of a character's class levels (not including any Hit Dice from his creature type or his level adjustment) reaches three times his level adjustment, his level adjustment is eligible to be decreased by 1.
    That's quite explicit: you ignore monster hit dice entirely and only use class levels to determine LA reduction eligibility.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Banned

That's what I thought, thanks.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 508

The spell Disguise Self an by extension a Hat of Disguise cannot "cannot change your body type" Does that mean a winged character (Draconic Human with Dragon wings) cannot hide the wings with either?

Q 509

Can you change the form of movement during a single move? If this is possible what is the movement rate? Minimum speed, maximum speed or the sum of the movement speeds?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-07-21 at 02:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Banned

Q510
    Several times in Draconomicon, it is stated that dragons gain a point of natural armor along with every hit die they gain. While this is an observable pattern among the Monster Manual dragons, I see nothing in that book which actually explicates it as a rule of dragons being advanced by HD. For example, the MM shows a copper wyrmling with 5 HD and +4 NA, while the very young copper has 8 HD and +7 NA, but I can't find anything in that book which indicates that a copper wyrmling advanced to 6 or 7 HD would increase its NA beyond the wyrmling's standard +4. (This may well be the result of me not knowing where to look, given how the MM hides information that you might need to know about a creature in about eight places other than the creature's own entry.) Going strictly by the MM's rules, is this true? Even in Draconomicon, the way it's written seems to suggest that it was being taken for granted as known information, and I don't see it explicitly spelled out as a rule anywhere.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 511

Do you don/doff a Mithral Full Plate like a Full plate or like a breast plate, scale mail, chainmail, banded mail, or splint mail?

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Banned

Q512
    Draconomicon again. In the description of Metabreath feats, they list Enlarge Breath as an example of a breath that can be applied multiple times, with its effects stacking, but it then goes on to state "If a metabreath feat stacks with itself, this fact will be noted in the Special section of the feat description." Enlarge Breath doesn't have a Special section. So can the feat be applied multiple times? If so, there doesn't seem to be a limit, so you could seemingly apply it something like twelve thousand times, making the breath a mile or two long (depending on the initial range, I'm not going to do the math) and then not being able to use it again for most of a day.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 508

Yes, that's correct. Disguise Self can make you appear only 1' shorter or taller; it can't disguise having extra limbs (arms, legs, wings spanning twice your height, or whatever).

A 509 Yes.

Your maximum movement depends on how much you use each motive form. For instance if you had a land speed of 50' and a swim speed of 20', swimming 15' uses up 3/4 of your total movement, leaving the other 1/4 for 10' (50'/4 = 12.5', rounded down) on foot. The 75/25 split in this example would result in a maximum of 25' for one move action. I'm afraid simple addition and subtraction isn't going to suffice for this; you'll need to compute fractions.

A 511

The time for getting into or out of armor isn't based on armor weight category; splint mail and banded mail heavy armors take the same time as breast plate and chainmail medium armors. Consequently, mithral construction of half-plate or full plate will not reduce the time to don/doff your armor.

A 512 Ask your DM.

As you noted, the Multiple Metabreath Feats on a Breath Weapon section (Draconomicon, page 66) is contradictory regarding the applicability of Enlarge Breath. With no errata file for the book, it's up to each individual DM to resolve this issue.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-07-21 at 09:22 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1016
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 513

Does the speed bonus from Acrobat Boots apply to all forms of movement?

Q 514

Can oils be created from spells that affect characters?

Q 514

Can potions be administered to helpless, sleeping, paralyzed or dying characters?

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 513 No.

Enhancement bonuses to speed apply if you have a listed movement already. If you don't have swim, fly, or burrow speeds, using one charge on Acrobat Boots won't give you 10' swim, 10' fly, and 10' burrow. There are no other constraints, though, so the Boots will boost all your listed speeds.

A 514

Yes, if it's a spell which affects a single character and otherwise fits within the limits of Brew Potion. Except for also being applicable to objects (and the mechanism of application, of course), oils function the same as potions.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-07-21 at 11:09 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    There are no other constraints, though, so the Boots will boost all your listed speeds.
    That's what I wanted to hear. I just forgot to add "that a character has" to the question.

29. - Top - End - #1019

OrcBarbarianGuy

An arrow/bolt that hits its target is automatically destroyed, alternatively if they miss they have a 50% chance of breaking. That's straight forward in terms of ranged attacks, but I am unsure (due to the nature of its grammar) if it also applies to the arrow being used as an improvised weapon in melee.

Q 516
    So, if I attempt to attack someone with a melee attack with an arrow as an improvised weapon and hits, is it destroyed?

Q 517
    Alternatively, if I attempt to attack someone with a melee attack with an arrow as an improvised weapon and miss, is there a 50% chance of it (rather randomly) disintegrating?

30. - Top - End - #1020
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 516 Yes.

A 517 Yes.
    Generally speaking, ammunition that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while normal ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.
    The rules for ammunition aren't specific to ranged use. Practically speaking, arrow shafts are flimsy because they're only designed to withstand force in the direction of aerial travel. Any other use exacerbates this fragility.