New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 052

Some useful links for you:
    You'll find War Hulk in Miniatures Handbook starting on page 22.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

thanks!

Q53

in continuation of 52, now that i found the war hulk. in the requirements it sais the creature must be at least large. do races with the "powerful build" feature qualify? (goliaths, half giants).

if not, in the case of the goliath's substitution barbarian levels (which makes him large when rages)- will he qualify then? can you qualify to a prestige class only when raging?
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2012-05-24 at 03:50 PM.

1. Special projects:
    Campaign logs archive, Campaign planning log, Tactical mass combat Homebrew, A unique monsters compendium.
    2. My campaign logs:
    Three from a GM's POV, One from a player's POV. Very detailed, including design and GMing discussions.
    3. Various roleplay and real life musings and anecdotes:
    For those interested, from serious to funny!

Thanks for reading!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 053 No.

Powerful Build offers the benefits of being treated as one size larger in only 3 specific contexts; prestige class membership is not included.

A character doesn't get to decide when they advance a level; the DM decides that. You immediately go up a level when the DM gives you enough XP to put you over the level requirement. While you would temporarily qualify if you happened to be raging at the time, you don't have an opportunity to prepare for level advancement. Also note that step 1. Choose Class is the beginning of every level advancement, meaning you must satisfy the entry requirements every time you choose a class level, not just the 1st time you choose a level in a class. See Player's Handbook on pages 58-59 for the level advancement steps.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Just repeating my question:

Q46: Is there any way to add 1-1/2 Str to any attack during a Flurry of Blows?
    Last edited by Larkas; 2012-05-24 at 10:46 PM.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

A52
    war hulk
    Miniatures handbook, page 22

Edit:...soo very ninja's
    Last edited by Rickshaw; 2012-05-24 at 09:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ettin in the Playground

Q54
    EPH has a power called Psionic Lion's Charge. The Psionic qualifier suggests a "Lion's Charge" spell exists. Does it and where is it?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 054

Spell Compendium, on page 133.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks

Q55
    EPH predates Spell Compendium by a while (I think), was Lion's Charge previously printed?
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-05-24 at 11:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Banned

Q56
    Answered it myself.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-05-25 at 08:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q57

Can an awakened cat become a Lich? or Dry Lich?
    Last edited by Roto; 2012-05-25 at 01:05 AM.
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour is that moment when they have worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of the battle... victorius."- Vince Lombardi

"Hey, I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purpose." -Celia (Order Of The Stick)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 055

Yes, Lion's Charge was previously published in Savage Species on page 68 (pre-3.5) and in Miniatures Handbook on page 37 (early 3.5). The updated version (with different spell levels) in Spell Compendium takes precedence if anyone in the game has access to that book, so it's the best one to cite.

A 057

Awakened animals are always NPCs, so it's entirely up to the individual DM.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-25 at 03:50 AM.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

confused Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q58
    where/ what are the rules for 1/day items such as chronocharms from MIC do you need to rest for 8 hours to use them? Do you need to wait 24 hours to use it again? Can you use it at 11:59PM and 12:01AM?

Q59
    How do spells/day and 1/day abilities function on planets with 72 hour days or 4 hour days?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A58
    There is no RAW answer to this one - it's DM's call. There is a strong argument to say "no" to resting 8 hours as that could stop one being re-used over 24 hours later if you have not had sufficient rest.

A59
    This is a simple RAW thread - what makes you think there likely to be a printed answer to this one? Actually there is - Rule 0 - go ask your DM. Actually there might be some hints in the Manual of the Planes when discussing the Astral Plane where (if my memory serves) time doesn't flow.
    If you are the DM then think about it for yourself, discuss with your players if you can without giving spoilers, or start a new thread to discuss. A question like this will never be simple.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

Questions 60-63 are for a character with the Improved Trip feat if it makes any difference.
    Q60: If one has multiple attacks from a high base attack bonus, can they make multiple trip attempts in a turn?

Q61: Would multiple attacks granted by Haste grant multiple trip attempts?

Q62: Would wielding two weapons (either natural or not) grant multiple trip attempts?

Q63: If one has Knock-Down (Deities & Demigods), can one make a full attack, make a trip attempt against all of those they hit (& deal 10 or more damage to), and attack each again? There is no errata for this version and nothing in the FAQ.
    Last edited by Amakule; 2012-05-25 at 04:39 AM.
    Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

A60: Yes, a trip attempt is an attack, and as such takes the place of an iterative attack or a natural attack, whichever applies.

A61:Yes, haste grants an extra attack when using the full attack action, so you would get an extra trip attempt, at your highest BAB.

A62:Yes, as you can make a trip attempt in place of any attack, wielding two or more weapons that you can attack with would grant extra trip attempts. Note that many but not all such weapons are two-handed weapons. You may use an unarmed attack to make a trip attempt in such a case, or even if not.

A63:Yes, this sequence is permitted during your turn. Making a trip attempt during this sequence is a free action, improved trip then grants you another attack (which is not an action as defined in the feat improved trip). Note that once tripped, you cannot then knockback yet again. You must also do this in iterative sequence, from highest BAB to lowest, one attack at a time.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

A60 Addmendum Most DMs will not allow you to make trip attacks on already tripped opponents so you can make multiple trip attempts on an opponent but only until one succeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by cd4 View Post
    Repost for another chance of getting these answered

Q23 a) Are there any spells or powers that have a casting time of 1 move action?
    b) Is there any way of making spells or powers have a casting time of 1 move action?
    Q64 If I cast a metamagic spell does the spellcraft DC increase to work out what I am casting?

Q65 Can I dismiss a time stop early?

Q66 If I cast persist time stop can I rest and then prepare divine spells?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 057

Awakened animals are always NPCs, so it's entirely up to the individual DM.
    They aren't always NPCs. I am asking as a player, is it possible? Are there any restrictions that would stop a cat from becoming a Lich?
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour is that moment when they have worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of the battle... victorius."- Vince Lombardi

"Hey, I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purpose." -Celia (Order Of The Stick)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

A 65

No, it is not dismissable.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 60 Addmendum
    Quote Originally Posted by cd4 View Post
    Most DMs will not allow you to make trip attacks on already tripped opponents so you can make multiple trip attempts on an opponent but only until one succeeds.
    There's nothing actually prohibiting making a trip attempt against an already-prone opponent; it's just that the attack cannot succeed because someone already prone cannot be knocked "more prone". (This is similar to a spellcaster attempting to cast Hold Person on an Aasimar; the spell just cannot succeed.) The rules largely don't prohibit PCs from trying to do things even when those things are impossible to accomplish.

Re: A 057
    Quote Originally Posted by Roto View Post
    They aren't always NPCs. I am asking as a player, is it possible? Are there any restrictions that would stop a cat from becoming a Lich?
    Here are the relevant rules. From page 11 of Player's Handbook:
    ABILITY ADJUSTMENTS
    Find your character’s race on Table 2–1: Racial Ability Adjustments (see the next page) and apply the adjustments you see there to your character’s ability scores. If these changes put your score above 18 or below 3, that’s okay, except in the case of Intelligence, which does not go below 3 for characters. (If your half-orc character would have an adjusted Intelligence of 1 or 2, make it 3 instead.)
    From the Animal type definition (pages 305-306 of Monster Manual):
    Animal Type

Traits
    An animal possesses the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature’s entry).
    • Intelligence score of 1 or 2 (no creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher can be an animal).
    From the Awaken spell (page 202 of Player's Handbook):
    Target: Animal or tree touched
    If it's a Cat ─ a creature of Animal type (Intelligence 1 or 2) as required by Awaken ─ it cannot be a PC (Intelligence does not go below 3).

If your DM is attempting to circumvent these rules and allow an awakened Cat as a PC, all questions related to such a PC should be directed to that DM. As demonstrated above it cannot be a RAW question, but instead specific to the house rule(s) used by your DM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Re: 57

But an awakened cat DOES have a minimum Intelligence of 3 (they roll 3d6), so your particular argument carries no weight.

This whole PC vs NPC thing is a nonissue in any case, since the rules apply equally to NPCs. This is a RAW thread, not one about DMs' house rules regarding custom monster creation.

To actually answer the question being posed, the Lich template can only be applied to a Humanoid, so a cat (awakened or not) is ineligible. The Dry Lich template, on the other hand, can be applied to any living creature--provided they're able to make the required canopic jars and undergo the sere rite. You'll have to check with your DM to see if a cat is capable of doing so.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-05-25 at 04:21 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 057
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    But an awakened cat DOES have a minimum Intelligence of 3 (they roll 3d6), so your particular argument carries no weight.
    Level Adjustment
    This line is included in the entries of creatures suitable for use as player characters or as cohorts (usually creatures with Intelligence scores of at least 3 and possessing opposable thumbs).
    The Cat creature entry (Monster Manual, pages 270-271) clearly shows "Level Adjustment: —" marking it as unsuitable for creating a PC. The Awaken spell does not modify the target creature's level adjustment, and thus a Cat after being targeted by that spell still remains unsuitable for creating a new PC. I dismissed that avenue out of hand as being impossible under the RAW. I see that my response should have been even longer to cover even more ways in which the RAW does not permit an awakened Cat PC. I only dealt with ways in which a PC might become an awakened Cat, not the obviously illegal direct creation of an awakened Cat PC. I apologize for this oversight.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-25 at 05:13 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q66: The SRD says this about the Flurry of Blows:

When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus x 1-1/2 or x 1/2) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands.
    Now, I assume there are no ways to circumvent that (which is a pity, it would be a great use to Whirling Steel Strike). But suppose a monk has TWF, ITWF and GTWF. If you use a weapon to make your off-hand attacks during a flurry, will you be able to add your full Strength bonus to the damage?
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 066 No.

You're confusing "during a flurry" (your statement) with "as part of a flurry of blows" (the rule statement). Both Two-Weapon Fighting and flurry of blows require the full attack action, but they have different characteristics. Only flurry of blows off-hand attacks with weapons gain 1x STR bonus to damage; TWF off-hand attacks gain ½ STR bonus as ususal. The attacks specific to a flurry of blows are as specified in the Monk class description. Other attacks, even if they all happen during the same action, do not gain those benefits unless there's an explicit statement to that effect.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I see that my response should have been even longer to cover even more ways in which the RAW does not permit an awakened Cat PC. I only dealt with ways in which a PC might become an awakened Cat, not the obviously illegal direct creation of an awakened Cat PC. I apologize for this oversight.
    Considering that the question was whether or not a cat could become a lich, I don't see why you're going on about being a PC or not at all. As I said already, that's entirely tangential to the question being asked.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Banned

Q67
    The Wild Cohort feat says that you can acquire alternative animal companions as if you were a Druid three levels lower; if you do so, do you also treat your level as being lower on the table that lists the cohort's improvement? For instance, if you're 7th level and you take a 4th-level companion, do you use the 7th-level line on the table (the companion has +3 natural armor), the 4th-level line (companion has Evasion), or neither (companion is the minimum level you could acquire it at, so it uses the first line of the table and has neither natch armor nor Evasion)?

Q68
    Would I be correct in surmising that a Level 3 Wilder, who meets the Manifester Level 3 prerequisite of the feat Expanded Knowledge but still has Maximum Power Level Known set at 1st, cannot benefit from this feat since there are no powers of one level lower than her maximum? Can she take it with her level 3 feat and "save" the "learn a power" opportunity to unlock at a subsequent level?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-05-26 at 03:13 AM.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q 69 How do the gestalt feats work with gestalt chars? If I am a Ranger 5//Scout 5 with Swift Hunter am I considered a Ranger 10 and Scout 10 for favored enemies and skirmish? And if I am a Ranger 2/Scout 3//Scout2/Ranger 3?
    Thanks in advance.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hassassin View Post
    Q 69 How do the gestalt feats work with gestalt chars? If I am a Ranger 5//Scout 5 with Swift Hunter am I considered a Ranger 10 and Scout 10 for favored enemies and skirmish? And if I am a Ranger 2/Scout 3//Scout2/Ranger 3?
    Thanks in advance.
    I would not mind having some idea what this person is talking about....

28. - Top - End - #118
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hassassin View Post
    Thanks in advance.
    Dual progression classes are not supposed to be used in gestalt. There were no dual progression feats when gestalt was published, so it's probably intended for them not to be used as well. Your first example is correct - favored enemies as a Ranger 10 and skirmish as a Scout 10.
    Also, you can't have the same class on different sides of gestalt. Your second example is illegal.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Dual progression classes are not supposed to be used in gestalt.
    Q70
    What is a "dual progression class"?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q70
    What is a "dual progression class"?
    This is explained in the gestalt rules. Mystic Theurge and similar prestige classes that progress two different classes' set of abilities are dual progression classes.