New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 91 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849506590 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A547 Yes (probably).
    The description of the Duskblade ability "Arcane Channeling" includes the statement "and deliver the spell through the weapon with a melee attack". Trip attacks are melee attacks so this should work fine.
    Caveat: your DM may disagree and its his (or her) call. Also it goes on to state "if the melee attack is successful, the attack deals damage normally" and it could be argued that since a trip attack does not deal damage it cannot be a trip attack. Personally I would disagree with this ruling as poor use of English grammar (I would say that normal damage for a trip attack is the trip check) but for completeness I have to point it out.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Menteith View Post
    Nope. There's an Empower, but no Extend.
    A 581 Addendum

That's odd... especially since they literally reference it (and have it as a prerequisite for!) Bonus Breath (SS).

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 584 Addendum

This does not help much for "global" conditions like dusk and dawn. It also does not help with the observer in darkness and observed in dim light - unless the expected result is that no observer can see in that situation.
    A 584 Addendum

Underdark has a sidebar (page 106, Seeing Distant Light) about spotting a light in pitch darkness and in dim lighting (AKA starlight/moonlight).

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Orc in the Playground

Q:585
    Do the feats Divine Inspiration and Sacred Performer Stack?

Divine Inspiration (Dragon #333):
    Your bard and cleric levels stack for the purpose of determining your bardic music ability.

Sacred Performer (Dragon #357):
    Your bard and cleric levels stack for the purpose of determining the number of times per day you can use your bardic music.
    Last edited by Mythestopheles; 2012-07-29 at 08:31 PM.

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    A 581 Addendum

That's odd... especially since they literally reference it (and have it as a prerequisite for!) Bonus Breath (SS).
    Don't know what to tell you. The entries are Empower Spell-Like ability, Extended Reach, Extra Item Space, & Final Strike....there's no listing for it. Pathfinder has one that I could port, I guess.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 586

Are there any +1 LA templates that grant at least +4 to Wis?
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2012-07-29 at 09:03 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mythestopheles View Post
    Q:585
    Do the feats Divine Inspiration and Sacred Performer Stack?
    I haven't read the original feats, but assuming you've summarized them correctly, they both say "your levels stack", so there's no addition possible. If John says "Bill has a tomato", then Mary says "John and Bill each have a tomato", this does not mean Bill has two tomatoes. You can't add your cleric levels to your bard level twice; you just have two things which allow you to add your cleric level to your bard level, one of which is more limited than the other, and thus is entirely obsoleted by the other.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    I haven't read the original feats, but assuming you've summarized them correctly, they both say "your levels stack", so there's no addition possible. If John says "Bill has a tomato", then Mary says "John and Bill each have a tomato", this does not mean Bill has two tomatoes. You can't add your cleric levels to your bard level twice; you just have two things which allow you to add your cleric level to your bard level, one of which is more limited than the other, and thus is entirely obsoleted by the other.
    Thanks, that's what I figured, but I wasn't 100% sure.

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1178
    Troll in the Playground

Q 587
    Is there a way to get bonus ranks in a skill? Specifically, Knowledge (Arcana) and Spellcraft? Not bonuses to the checks, but bonus ranks.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

A 587
    The Primary Contact feat from Cityscape gives you one additional skill point in a skill associated with you organization. You must alrady have the Favored feat with that organization. It explicitly allows you to break skill caps.

If you are just looking for skill points and not trying to exceed the cap, the Open Minded feat (XPH/SRD) grants 5 skill points or the exalted feat Nymph's Kiss (BoED) grants 1 bonus skill point per level.
    Last edited by Elric VIII; 2012-07-29 at 10:54 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1180
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mythestopheles View Post
    Thanks, that's what I figured, but I wasn't 100% sure.
    Well neither am I, but I've presented my interpretation; if you find it logical that's probably as good as you're going to get.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Q 588

Is it possible to make a trip attempt against a prone opponent?

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by XQNP View Post
    Q 588

Is it possible to make a trip attempt against a prone opponent?
    A588 Yes, but it doesn't do anything, as your opponent is already in the position he'd end up in. Basically you'd waste your action, and in worst case you'd get tripped yourself. Better to wait until your opponent tries to get up and provokes and AoO and trip then.
    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Epileptic monkeys. Boxing gloves. Typewriters. That is all.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by DeusMortuusEst View Post
    A588 Yes, but it doesn't do anything, as your opponent is already in the position he'd end up in. Basically you'd waste your action, and in worst case you'd get tripped yourself. Better to wait until your opponent tries to get up and provokes and AoO and trip then.
    I was thinking more along the lines of using improved trip to get extra attacks with the ritiik weapon from Frostburn. Every time you hit an opponent, they make a reflex save based on the damage dealt. If they fail, you get a free trip attempt. If you trip them, you can both deal damage with your free attack and attempt to trip them again...

14. - Top - End - #1184

Flumph

I was thinking more along the lines of using improved trip to get extra attacks with the ritiik weapon from Frostburn. Every time you hit an opponent, they make a reflex save based on the damage dealt. If they fail, you get a free trip attempt. If you trip them, you can both deal damage with your free attack and attempt to trip them again...
    I do believe that works yes, unless I've missed something. I can't find anything in the combat rules that makes a prone target immune to tripping, it just doesn't do anything, but for this trick it would probably work by RAW.
    Dumbledore is dead but had a horcrux so might still be alive to it being fake and him dead but not stopping her from using the having a horcrux on you letting you live from a killing curse.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Banned

Q589
    The Monk's Belt grants you "the AC of a 5th-level monk" if you're not already a monk. Does this just mean you gain +1 to AC while unencumbered, or do you also get to add your Wisdom bonus to AC with a +1 on top of it, as an actual monk would?

16. - Top - End - #1186

A589

As I recall the official FAQ ruled that it grants wis to AC aswell.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Banned

Q590
    In what book are Competence Items detailed?

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 588
    I was thinking more along the lines of using improved trip to get extra attacks with the ritiik weapon from Frostburn.
    That doesn't work so well for the ritiik wielder, because a trip attempt against a prone opponent automatically fails: you cannot succeed in causing your opponent to be tripped (become prone) when they're already tripped. The only thing this does is grant an automatic retaliatory trip attempt. (You can instead let go of the ritiik, giving your enemy a free weapon.)

A 589

Regardless of what the FAQ says, the Monk's Belt grants exactly what a 5th level Monk gets.
    If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk. This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.

19. - Top - End - #1189

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 589

Regardless of what the FAQ says, the Monk's Belt grants exactly what a 5th level Monk gets.
    So still yes, it grants Wisdom to AC as long as you are unarmored and unencumbered.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 590

Dungeon Master's Guide, on page 285, has the formula for competence bonuses to skills. Other competence items follow the "similar item" metric, such as the Pale green Ioun Stone on page 260.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Banned

Q590 clarification
    Okay, I didn't mean those; I had heard about another set of items, which cost more like 100 gold for a +1 bonus which stacked with masterwork tools, and counted as magic items. I'd also be interested in any other items akin to Boots/Cloak of Elvenkind and Rings of Jumping/Climbing/Swimming - 2500 for +5 to a skill or thereabouts, but for things like Knowledges.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-30 at 05:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1192
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 591

Does Bardic Music require actual music or can a bard also use non-musical perform skills like Perform:Oratory or Perform: Dance?

Q 592

Does a non-magical helmet have any ingame effect?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-07-30 at 11:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1193

Flumph

A 591:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Bard class entry, bardic music
    ...a bard can use his song or poetics to produce magical effects on those around him (usually including himself, if desired). While these abilities fall under the category of bardic music and the descriptions discuss singing or playing instruments, they can all be activated by reciting poetry, chanting, singing lyrical songs, singing melodies, whistling, playing an instrument, or playing an instrument in combination with some spoken performance.
    Emphasis mine.

To me RAW feels pretty clear on this subject, the bardic music entry provides a list on how to use it. Further on, it might be useful to note that a bard must use a sonic component to cast spells, something that logically carries over to bardic music as well (RAI).
    Last edited by DeusMortuusEst; 2012-07-30 at 11:44 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post

Q 592

Does a non-magical helmet have any ingame effect?
    A 592

Not in general. Specific examples may of course exist, the most obvious being that a helmet without eyeholes would make your character effectively blind.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

25. - Top - End - #1195

SolithKnightGuy

Q593Splinterbolt (sc p. 203) when it crits how much will the damage increase.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ketiara View Post
    Q593Splinterbolt (sc p. 203) when it crits how much will the damage increase.
    A 593

Like all spells (unless they say otherwise), Splinterbolt has a crit multiplier of x2.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Orc in the Playground

Q594:

Assuming I have a special mount, the feats Holy Mount and Theurgic Mount, if I take a level in Arcane Hierophant or Mystic Theurge, do I get a bonus from both the arcane levels as well as the divine levels to my effective paladin level?

Holy Mount:
    When determining the abilities of your paladin special mount, you can combine the levels of your paladin class with those of your other divine spellcasting classes.

Theurgic Mount:
    When determining the abilities of your paladin special mount, you can combine the levels of your paladin class with those of your arcane spellcasting classes.
    Last edited by Mythestopheles; 2012-07-30 at 03:04 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A594

No. The generally accepted interpretation around here is that a "spellcasting class" is defined as a class that gives its own spellcasting rather than advancing the casting of another class. This prevents such shenanigans as choosing Mystic Theurge as the class to be advanced by Archmage, thereby gaining all the benefits of both classes at once. Neither Arcane Hierophant nor Mystic Theurge qualify as spellcasting classes under that definition, so neither of them gets included by either feat - they do not advance your mount at all.

Even if you do not accept that ruling, each feat refers to "levels", not caster level or any measure of spellcasting ability. Thus, each level of AH or MT would be counted for itself rather than for how much it advances the base classes by and would only be counted once.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    A594

No. The generally accepted interpretation around here is that a "spellcasting class" is defined as a class that gives its own spellcasting rather than advancing the casting of another class. This prevents such shenanigans as choosing Mystic Theurge as the class to be advanced by Archmage, thereby gaining all the benefits of both classes at once. Neither Arcane Hierophant nor Mystic Theurge qualify as spellcasting classes under that definition, so neither of them gets included by either feat - they do not advance your mount at all.

Even if you do not accept that ruling, each feat refers to "levels", not caster level or any measure of spellcasting ability. Thus, each level of AH or MT would be counted for itself rather than for how much it advances the base classes by and would only be counted once.
    Alright, that makes sense, thanks.

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Halfling in the Playground

Q595

If character A, unobserved by character B (specifically, while invisible), casts a spell while in the threatened area of character B, may character B make an attack of opportunity, in the following cases:

• The action of spellcasting ends/doesn't end the invisibility effect
    • The action of spellcasting is/isn't audible to B

Characters:
    Adventuring School: Irian