New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 41 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1631323334353637383940414243444546474849505166 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1201
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A595

No in both cases. Character A has total concealment, and you cannot take attacks of opportunity against foes who have total concealment whether or not you know where they are or what they are doing.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

2. - Top - End - #1202
    Troll in the Playground

Q 596

What PrCs or classes give a dimension door ability as a class feature? I'm aware of Horizon Walker, Shadowdancer, and the Blink Shirt meld for Totemists. Are there any others? Specifically, PrCs that get it with a quick 1 or 2 level dip.

3. - Top - End - #1203
    Troll in the Playground

Q 597

Was there ever any LA released for the creatures in the Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun?

Specifically, PC-like races such as the Shalarin and Bullywug?

4. - Top - End - #1204
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Q 597

Was there ever any LA released for the creatures in the Monster Compendium: Monsters of Faerun?

Specifically, PC-like races such as the Shalarin and Bullywug?
    A 597
    I haven't checked the book personally, but I believe that either a web enhancement or the Players' Guide to Faerun updated these creatures with 3.5stats, which would include LA for any that the designers thought were PC-quality. That probably includes the Shalarin; the Bullywug I'm less sure of, since they're sort of intentionally sucky, but the option might exist.

Q598
    Is there a list anywhere of races and Prestige Classes whereby the former can automatically qualify for the latter, based solely on their mandatory racial HD and built-in abilities? (Exclude the dragon-specific PRCs of Draconomicon, as I know about those; I'm thinking more along the lines of, say, a 5-HD wyrmling spending its racial feat on Endurance and its skill points on K:Geography, so it can take a Horizon Walker level as its first class level ever. Not a great idea, obviously, but there are some PRCs which might be worth it, especially for creatures with fewer advantages than dragons.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-31 at 01:03 AM.

5. - Top - End - #1205
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Q 596

What PrCs or classes give a dimension door ability as a class feature? I'm aware of Horizon Walker, Shadowdancer, and the Blink Shirt meld for Totemists. Are there any others? Specifically, PrCs that get it with a quick 1 or 2 level dip.
    A 596

The Jaunter (EttDP p.172) gets Dimension Door as an SLA at 3rd level.

6. - Top - End - #1206
    Firbolg in the Playground

A 596 additional: The Mountebank PrC from Complete Scoundrel gets an ability similar to a limited dimension door, but not until 4th level. Once you get to 10th level in the PrC, it allows you to use dimension door as the spell (but as a swift action) 2/day. Though it's not quite what you're looking for, the Lesser Mark of Passage from Eberron gives dimension door 1/day. The Dragonmark Heir PrC from Eberron Campaign Setting grants the Lesser Mark of Passage at first level and, at third level, allows you to use it 2/day.

A 598: I'm afraid that falls outside the purview of the Simple Q&A by RAW thread and would encourage you to create a new thread for that discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

7. - Top - End - #1207
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A595 No (in all cases).

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies.
    Even if the spell cast is an attack and thus ends the invisibility, the invisibility is still up whilst the spell is cast and thus (as you specified unobserved) the caster has total concealment for the full duration of the casting.

Edit: seriously swordsaged - I probably missed the page break :(
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2012-07-31 at 08:01 AM.

8. - Top - End - #1208
    Banned

Q599
    Any guidelines about adding appropriate creatures from supplements to the options for Sorcerer/Wizard familiars, Druid/Ranger companions, and Paladin Mounts, if the supplement itself doesn't discuss doing so? For example, I didn't see anything in Stormwrack about whether a Merfolk wizard can have an Eel as a familiar.

@ OMG Ponies, Re Q598 - Doing it right now!
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-07-31 at 08:26 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1209
    Firbolg in the Playground

A599 partial: Answering to the specific question of the eel, rules for aquatic familiars can be found on page 52 of Stormwrack. The wizard section on familiars refers back to the sorcerer heading, where an eel is explicitly listed as an allowable option. I do not know of any general guidelines for adding familiar choices.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-07-31 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

10. - Top - End - #1210
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q600
    How many individuals (what %) of a population of an "Always Alignment X" species are actually that alignment? I know that MM1 gives numbers for "Usually Alignment X" and "Often Alignment X" but is there a RAW value for the other option?
    Last edited by Menteith; 2012-07-31 at 01:25 PM. Reason: apparently it goes 599-560 in my brain...
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

11. - Top - End - #1211
    Ettin in the Playground

A 600 I assume

Always means always. There might be some aberrant individuals (at the DM's discretion) but those are statistically irrelevant.

12. - Top - End - #1212
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 596 additional

The Monk class has Abundant Step:
    At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door, once per day. Her caster level for this effect is one-half her monk level (rounded down).
    The Paladin class can gain Dimension Door, limited to starting/ending points in contact with stone or earth, with the Underdark Knight ACF (Complete Champion, page 49).

A 600 additional info

The Monster Manual Glossary entry for "alignment" (also page 305) says this:
    Always: The creature is born with the indicated alignment. The creature may have a hereditary predisposition to the alignment or come from a plane that predetermines it. It is possible for individuals to change alignment, but such individuals are either unique or rare exceptions.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-07-31 at 01:26 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1213
    Banned

A600 additional
    So, depending on your CW's population levels, figure something in the neighborhood of 99.9% at a bare minimum (unless the race consists of fewer than 1K individuals). 99.999 is probably more likely for anything planet-sized, and that's with the assumption that the total population of all humanoids is comparable to Earth's numbers of humans (there are a hundred or more races likely to have decent populations, so the chances are millions of each exist on an Earth-sized world with all of them in play). A few dozen or hundred exceptions to a rule of a billion (counting all such races worldwide) would probably not stop the description from remaining "Always" when speaking generally.

14. - Top - End - #1214
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    A600 additional
    So, depending on your CW's population levels, figure something in the neighborhood of 99.9% at a bare minimum (unless the race consists of fewer than 1K individuals). 99.999 is probably more likely for anything planet-sized, and that's with the assumption that the total population of all humanoids is comparable to Earth's numbers of humans (there are a hundred or more races likely to have decent populations, so the chances are millions of each exist on an Earth-sized world with all of them in play). A few dozen or hundred exceptions to a rule of a billion (counting all such races worldwide) would probably not stop the description from remaining "Always" when speaking generally.
    The only reason I ask, is that I've heard the "Always Chaotic Evil" tag means only 95% of a population, which is supposedly stated in an online article. There's a great deal of difference between 99.999% and 95%, after all.
    Last edited by Menteith; 2012-07-31 at 07:57 PM.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

15. - Top - End - #1215
    Troll in the Playground

Q601: Does the spell dweomer of transference (XPH/SRD) only affect spells you cast, or does it affect any spell, no matter the source? The text of the spell seems to imply the latter, but then goes on to say "any spells cast at the subject don't have their usual effect."
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

16. - Top - End - #1216
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q602
    By RAW, can someone with an active effect that causes them to automatically succeed on a certain check still intentionally fail that check? In particular, the issue at hand involves someone who wants to use a ring of freedom of movement to switch back and forth between being able to be grappled and not being able to be grappled at will without requiring the action to remove the ring.
    Last edited by Baphomet; 2012-07-31 at 11:05 PM.

17. - Top - End - #1217
    Orc in the Playground

Q603:

If my character has a climb speed, can I Jump onto a wall/cliff, and start climbing from there? Or do I still need the Leaping Climber Skill Trick?

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #1218
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 604

Can someone with leap attack charge someone who is farther away than twice his movement speed?
    If so, when does the Charge hit?

19. - Top - End - #1219
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 603: Yes

You do not need the leaping climber skill trick. The jump skill contains the information you need, namely:

A high jump is a vertical leap made to reach a ledge high above or to grasp something overhead. The DC is equal to 4 times the distance to be cleared.

If you jumped up to grab something, a successful check indicates that you reached the desired height. If you wish to pull yourself up, you can do so with a move action and a DC 15 Climb check. If you fail the Jump check, you do not reach the height, and you land on your feet in the same spot from which you jumped. As with a long jump, the DC is doubled if you do not get a running start of at least 20 feet.
    Add your jump height to your vertical reach as given in the jump skill, a DC 15 climb check (which, as a creature with a climb speed, you receive a +8 racial bonus to the climb skill, and the ability to take 10 under any circumstances for climb, meaning you can always succeed in grabbing on at the height of your jump, assuming you jump that high) will allow you to start your climb there, at the cost of your movement action. You can, of course, choose to use a double move, in which case you climb as normal from there.

Q 604: Probably not.

Obviously reach, travel devotion, the extreme leap skill trick, and other methods to enhance/give alternative movement modes may all pertain, but let us assume that even with those you cannot reach your target.

Leap attack specifically states it follows all normal rules for the jump skill and making a charge. Charge limits you to moving double your speed as part of the charge. Should you jump at or near the end of double move, the following applies:
    A Jump check is included in your movement, so it is part of a move action. If you run out of movement mid-jump, your next action (either on this turn or, if necessary, on your next turn) must be a move action to complete the jump.
    So if, despite your best efforts, you cannot reach them this turn, you cannot make a charge and instead make a double move (or run, I guess). The following turn, if you can them reach them, you may make your charge.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

20. - Top - End - #1220
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q605

If protected by a spell such as resist energy (Acid) powerful enough so that a PC could wade through a pool of acid. Would the PC's gear be protected as well?

or would it take damage and the PC walk out of the pool safe but rather naked?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

21. - Top - End - #1221

Goblin

Q606
    Is there a way I can ignore some of the restrictions on the "were" template? I want a Halfing Were-T-Rex...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

22. - Top - End - #1222

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    Q606
    Is there a way I can ignore some of the restrictions on the "were" template? I want a Halfing Were-T-Rex...
    A606RAW No. But then ask your DM to Rule Zero it. As the DM can change any rule they want to fit the world
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

23. - Top - End - #1223
    Ogre in the Playground

Q607
    When casting a spell altered by the Smiting Spell feat, does the caster lose the free attack that normally goes with a touch spell, or can the feat be used with a weapon in the same way Improved Unarmed Strike+Touch spells work with a punch (one action to cast and attack)?

24. - Top - End - #1224
    Ogre in the Playground

q608
    In the stronghold builders guide it introduces a new unit of measurement, stronghold spaces (SS) well it does not say how many 5 foot squares are in a SS, answer?
    Last edited by inuyasha; 2012-08-01 at 02:13 PM.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

25. - Top - End - #1225
    Ettin in the Playground

A 608

Yes it does:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stronghold Builders Guidebook
    Stronghold Space: An abstract measure of volume within a building. While stronghold spaces don't have a fixed size, an average stronghold space is equivalent to a 20-foot-by-20-foot room with a 10-foot-high ceiling.

26. - Top - End - #1226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 608

Yes it does:
    thank you so much. I do not remember seeing that
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

27. - Top - End - #1227
    Troll in the Playground

Q 609

Do the Prestigious Classes still qualify for Alternative Class Features/Racial Substitution Levels if they get those features at the same level (for example, taking the 1st and 3rd levels of the Vigilant Eye of Helm ACF (CoV) or all three Warforged Paladin levels)?

28. - Top - End - #1228
    Banned

Q610
    Treants are Plants, and in the MM glossary it says "Plants breathe and eat, but do not sleep". Does this mean treants can be strangled? Can they starve to death, and what do they eat? (I'm assuming "shoot and leaves" is right out....)

Q611
    Is using a Psi-Like Ability of a power the same as manifesting that power, for the purposes of a Prestige Class entry requirement that demands the ability to manifest that specific power?

Quote Originally Posted by togapika View Post
    Q606
    You may have to settle for being a Werevelociraptor or something.

29. - Top - End - #1229
    Ogre in the Playground

A611
    Psi-like abilities are referenced as being "manifested" several times in their summary, so the ability to use a psilike ability of a power should count as the ability to manifest that power.

30. - Top - End - #1230
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 602

There are very few opportunities in the D&D rules which allow you to intentionally fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom of Movement
    The subject automatically succeeds on any grapple check made to resist a grapple attempt, as well as on grapple checks or Escape Artist checks made to escape a grapple or a pin.
    From page 112 of Rules Compendium:
    VOLUNTARILY FAILING
    A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a consequence.
    This is a big expansion in scope from what the core rules allowed for voluntary failure, which was limited to spells only.
    Voluntarily Giving up a Saving Throw

A creature can voluntarily forego a saving throw and willingly accept a spell’s result.
    Since neither of these Freedom of Movement automatic successes are saving throws, there is no option in D&D to voluntarily fail a grapple check or Escape Artist check. A Freedom of Movement effect cannot be bypassed by choice.

A 607
    Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    When casting a spell altered by the Smiting Spell feat, does the caster lose the free attack that normally goes with a touch spell, or can the feat be used with a weapon in the same way Improved Unarmed Strike+Touch spells work with a punch (one action to cast and attack)?
    Smiting Spell does not change the special rules about delivering a touch attack spell in the casting round, so you can make a weapon attack in the same round you cast a touch attack spell modified by Smiting Spell. However, you're mistaken that this is "one action".
    Touch Spells in Combat

Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.
    Casting the spell and making the attack are allowed in the same round, but not in a single action; the explicit statement that you can take a move action between casting and attacking should make that clear. Casting a touch attack spell awards you an attack as a special rules case, which can be regarded as a "bonus" attack with the restriction that it can only be used to (try to) deliver the spell charge. You may perhaps be confusing willing touch spells, which do make the touching part of the spellcasting action, and touch attack spells, which have this different rule. While both types of touch spells are described in close proximity in the rules, they have dissimilar characteristics under the RAW.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-08-02 at 04:53 AM.