New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051525354555671 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 675

Does anyone know of any decent level 0 or 1 spells to deal with undead? If this isn't the place I'll make a thread, but it seemed simple enough.

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Q 675

Does anyone know of any decent level 0 or 1 spells to deal with undead? If this isn't the place I'll make a thread, but it seemed simple enough.
    A675
    I don't know your definition of "decent" but Hide from Undead and Disrupt Undead both spring to mind.

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Troll in the Playground

A 675 Additional

Dawnlight (CM) is also a useful spell versus undead that retains it's usefulness for a surprisingly long time.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS
    Q 675

I apologize; I meant to ask for specifically druid spells. I feel...rather silly.

5. - Top - End - #1355
    Orc in the Playground

Q 676
    Is there a lower level resurrection-style spell than Reincarnate(which is 4)?

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q677

When looking over the Skeleton template for creating undead minions, I am curious. It states that "A skeleton retains none of the base creature’s special attacks."
    And then it then states that "A skeleton loses most special qualities of the base creature. It retains any extraordinary special qualities that improve its melee or ranged attacks."

While this seems for the most part straightforward, I have not been able to find a single example of a Special Quality that DOES improve it's melee or ranged attacks (all effects that affect attacks seem to be under the Special Attacks category), and I'm curious if I'm missing something.

Does anyone know of a specific example of a special quality that WOULD be kept by an undead creature?

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Bugbear in the Playground

Updating Q655
    a -Does the Black Lore of Moil metamagic benefit from the Empower or Maximize Spell metamagic, if they're both enhancing the same spell?

b -Does the Singer of Concordance 6th level ability Sphere of Healing benefit from the Empower or Maximize metamagics?
    Last edited by Menteith; 2012-08-11 at 02:41 PM.
    There is the moral of all human tales;
    'Tis but the same rehearsal of the past.
    First freedom and then Glory - when that fails,
    Wealth, vice, corruption - barbarism at last.
    And History, with all her volumes vast,
    Hath but one page...

8. - Top - End - #1358
    Orc in the Playground

Q 678

If a large-sized character wields medium-sized reach weapon as one-handed (or medium-sized character does the same thing with small-sized reach weapon), does it still grant reach?

A 675 additional

Druid has cure light wounds on his spell list. If nothing else, you can just cure them into bloody mess.
    Last edited by Lord Haart; 2012-08-11 at 06:05 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Elitarismo View Post
    Complaining about martial characters dipping many different classes is like complaining that the sun is hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArqArturo View Post
    When I first wanted to build a gish, I wanted to be the guy that threw fireballs, lightning bolts, wore spiked fullplate and reigned death and destruction (…)

So I rolled a cleric.

To everyone i played with in a certain campaign: i'm sorry i've dropped off without a warning, but a sudden case of twin daughers is a very solid reason, trust me.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Strongarm Bracers (MiC 139) allow the wearer to "...wield weapons as if you were one size category larger than normal . (You don't take any penalty when using weapons as normal for your size.)"

Steadfast Boots (MiC 138) allow the wearer to treat a two-handed weapon they wield as if they had readied that weapon against any creature that charges them, even if the weapon can't normally be set against a charge.

A longsword is a one-handed weapon. One-handed weapons do not qualify for the aforementioned ability of Steadfast Boots.

Weapons larger than the wielder's size category are treated as one step higher. (PHB 113) Thus, when wielded by a medium creature, a large longsword would be considered Two-Handed. So therefore, a Large Longsword wielded by a medium creature would be treated as a two-handed weapon for the purposes of the aforementioned ability of Steadfast Boots, and thus qualify.

Q679

If a medium creature wielding a large longsword is wearing Strongarm Bracers, would he still qualify for the aforementioned ability of Steadfast Boots? I.e. Do the Strongarm Bracers only remove the penalty, or also the Two-Handedness?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    (Repost of unanswered questions)
    Q651

What, if any, are the limitations on mitigating the Spellcraft DC's of epic spells? E.g., could a character make an epic spell with a Spellcraft DC of 1? (thus minimizing research costs to only 9000g, 360xp, and one day)

Q 653

Regarding the epic Seed: Transform, the SRD says:

For each normal extraordinary ability or supernatural ability granted to the transformed creature, increase the Spellcraft DC by +10.
    Is it required to grant every extraordinary ability and supernatural ability of the new form, and thus increase the Spellcraft DC, or is this done at the option of the creator of the spell?

Q 653a

For instance, the spell creator is using the epic Seed: Transform to create a spell which changes him into a Solar. He already has Darkvision in his natural form. Does he need to include Darkvision in the spell creation (and thus increase the DC) since it is an ability of the assumed form, or does he have the option to leave it off?

10. - Top - End - #1360
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 677

Here's an example of such a special quality, from Monster Manual III on page 63:
    Pack Fervor (Ex): An ibixian loves to brawl with or alongside others of its kind. Doing this increases its enjoyment of the fight and adds ferocity to its attacks. When an ibixian is within 30 feet of another goatfolk, it gains a +2 morale bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls and a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects.
    A 678 No.

From page 151 of Rules Compendium:
    A wielder gains no reach from a reach weapon that is too small. No additional reach is granted by a reach weapon that is too big.
    A 679

When you are treated as one size larger, a longsword that you can wield without penalty is a 1-handed weapon. You would receive no benefit dependent on carrying a 2-handed weapon.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-08-11 at 07:11 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ogre in the Playground

Q680
    What happens if you cast a damaging spell or power which targets a player (say, Kelgore's Fire Bolt) but has no attack roll into two grapplers? Does it follow the typical ranged attack rules, or automatically hit its target?
    Last edited by Lonely Tylenol; 2012-08-12 at 12:05 AM.
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Ettin in the Playground

A 680

If there is no attack roll, you cannot miss.

13. - Top - End - #1363
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Q 681

Again regarding the Steadfast Boots: What does the language "as long as you carry a two-handed weapon, you are treated as if you had readied that weapon against any creature that charges you" mean (bold mine)? I.e. does it mean that you receive a free attack against any creature that charges you as if you had readied it, even if you don't have a readied action? Or does it just mean that your next attack against that charging opponent gains the double damage feature? (the language "as if you had readied" implies the attack as well as the damage feature)

...Or does it just mean you can ready the weapon against a charge even though it isn't normally eligible?

Q 681a

If yes to the free attack, does this mean without limit - however many opponents charge you, you get that many free attacks?

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Banned

Q682
    Does the wielder of a Dancing weapon need to be proficient with that weapon in order for it to wield itself without the -4 nonproficiency penalty?

Q623
    A double weapon has to pay its masterwork cost twice in order to be masterwork, but after that you're allowed to enchant the ends separately. While the DMG states that these weapons "typically" have either both ends the same or one end slightly less powerful than the other, is it legitimate for a double weapon to be a +1 Dancing weapon on one end and not be enchanted at all on the other? Can such a weapon still wield itself? Is it limited to only attacking with the one end?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-08-12 at 02:56 AM.

15. - Top - End - #1365
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 681

You are treated as if you had readied the weapon against a charge, at all times. This means there is no need to ready the weapon by your own action, as long as you carry the weapon.

A 681a Yes.

A 682 Yes.

The weapon uses the "wielder's" BAB and other weapon properties, including proficiencies.

A 683

Yes, a double weapon can be +1 Dancing/masterwork. Only the end with the Dancing property can attack on its own. If both ends had the Dancing property then both could attack, as a double weapon, without "wielder" action.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Banned

Q684
    The Clinging Breath feat from Draconomicon "lasts for 1 round" and deals half as much damage as it did in the previous round, but then it says you can apply the feat more than once to the same exhalation. So if I apply the feat, say, 7 times, and the first breath should happen to do exactly 100 damage, do the subsequent rounds deal 50, then 25, then 12, then 6, then 3, then 1, then none? Or does it just deal half of the original damage, that is to say 50, during each of the 7 rounds it clings, unless the character makes a new Reflex save to remove it?

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Q 685

Can a Martial Script (Tome of Battle: the Book of Nine Swords) contain a stance?
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 684 Ask your DM.

The feat specifies that in the round after breathing, Clinging Breath causes half the original damage. It also says that you can apply the metabreath feat multiple times for multiple rounds of effect. The feat fails to specify what the damage is in those additional rounds, so that's going to have to be resolved by each individual DM.

A 685 Yes.

From page 5 of ToB:
    Stance: A stance is a special type of maneuver. Each stance is a particular fighting pose that grants a martial adept special benefits and options. For example, the Tiger Claw discipline teaches stances that allow the user to unlock her feral, animalistic nature. Unlike other maneuvers, most stances can remain in effect for an indefinite time.

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Pixie in the Playground

Q 686
    My D&D group needs the role of full caster filled, and is looking to me to fill the position. I am not a big fan of caster, due to their complex nature. My question to you is, are there any simple caster classes that isn't a blaster like warlock, etc., yet just as easy to play?
    Last edited by Eregog; 2012-08-12 at 11:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1370
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A686

The simplest non blaster full caster you're likely to find is probably the Beguiler from PHB2. It has spontaneous casting from a premade list with a focus on illusion and enchantment. Warmage from Complete Arcane is similar, but there the focus of the premade list is blasting. There is also the Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror, which has a premade list focused on necromancy and undead.

Sorcerer is just as easy to play and has significantly higher potential power, but is quite a bit more complex to build because you have to choose your own list of spells.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Troll in the Playground

Q 687

Are there any naga with Level Adjustment (besides the ones in Oriental Adventures)?

22. - Top - End - #1372
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q688

Would a maximized Reincarnation spell work .... as you DO roll dice. Granted it would just be "DM's Choice"
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A688

Maximize has no effect on Reincarnation. You do roll dice to determine the result of the spell, but the result itself is not numeric.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

24. - Top - End - #1374
    Banned

Q689
    Does a dragon use only its racial HD when calculating the saving throw DC for its breath weapon, or would HD gained from class/PrC levels also be counted?

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q690

Warlock "See the Unseen" gives darkvision 60ft and lets you see invisible objects and creatures within his/her range of vision.

The see invisible is that only within the 60ft or works with normal vision?

(I've been playing it on the assumption that it works with normal vision but it's been pointed out that I could be wrong)
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A689 A dragon uses its age category hit dice to determine the base damage, range and save DC for its breath weapon, the save DC is then modified by its CON modifier. Note that the listed save DCs include the modifier for the listed Con.

27. - Top - End - #1377
    Spamalot in the Playground

Q691

If you somehow have more than two hands, will you gain that many claw attacks from the vestige Ipos? If so, is there a cap on this besides "number of hands?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Troll in the Playground

Q 692
    Is there an enchantment for weapons anywhere that mimics the Staggering Strike feat?

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 692 No.

I've checked a pretty exhaustive list of D&D weapon enhancements, and there's nothing like Staggering Strike.

30. - Top - End - #1380
    Bugbear in the Playground

Reposting Q 658:
    Quote Originally Posted by A_S View Post
    Does Abjurant Champion's class feature Martial Arcanist apply before Sublime Chord's caster level addition (in which case it can contribute to caster levels > character level), after (in which case it caps out at your BAB), or whichever you want?

Example: A Bard 7 / Abjurant Champion 5 / Sublime Chord 8 applies his Abjurant Champion casting and Martial Arcanist to Bard casting. Is his caster level (for both classes) 22 or 20?