New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950515253545556575873 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 700 Additional

In the Draconomicon, there's a Dragon Prestige Class (with a BAB requirement of +22, among other things) called the Bloodscaled Fury. Basically Barbarian+, and can be added to any dragon.

There's also the various Dragon Psychoses in one of the Dragon Magazines (Dragon 313, page 77ish).

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Banned

Q703
    Other than Magic of Incarnum itself, the Psionics of Incarnum web supplement, and a few Dragonblood soulmelds in Dragon Magic, are there any other sources of officially published soulmelds (or other Incarnum-related widgets)? I am aware that there are a large number of web supplements for psionics and a number of additional Vestiges, but I've yet to hear of anything for Incarnum.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-08-17 at 09:57 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

A 703

I'm unsure of how 'offical' you consider Dragon Magazine, but three Totemist soulmelds were printed in Dragon 350 - Brood Keeper's Heart, Chaos Roc's Span and Gravorg's Tail.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ogre in the Playground

Both my questions relate to Racial Hit Dice.

Q 704: What happens to RHD when the creature changes type?

For example, say you had an Orc, who starts with 2 RHD of Humanoid, and it gains a different type, say through the Half-dragon template or 20 levels of Monk, does the RHD stay the same, or does it change?

Q 705: Can a character "take" RHD as though it were a class?

For example a Human half-dragon wants to up its breath weapon DC, could it take two levels of Humanoid, to do so?
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Ettin in the Playground

A 704
    a) an Orc does not have RHD.
    b) Templates usually say what happens to RHD.
    c) class levels do nothing to RHD

A 705

No, humanoids advance by class levels.

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q) 706

If i take 2 levels of fighter, then 3 levels of crusader, is my initiater level 3 or 4?
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ettin in the Playground

A 706

4=Round down(Fighter 2/2)+Crusader 3

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Firbolg in the Playground

Q707: What ways (if any) exist to cast Summon Monster III without taking levels in a casting class? I'm thinking of something lsimilar to Fiendish Legacy, but specifically for Summon Monster III (and hopefully available sooner). Feats and templates are preferred, but I'm open to other ideas as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ogre in the Playground

Q708

What are the conditions imposed by the condition Immobilized, as specified in the Bands of Steel spell? (I think it might be defined in Tome of Magic, but google has thus far failed me...)

Would it have any effect on creatures that fly (not dependent on wings for flight)?
    Last edited by Ditto; 2012-08-17 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Re: 704

Note that the 20th level Monk ability Perfect Self does not actually change your creature type:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Monk
    Perfect Self

At 20th level, a monk becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the monk’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the monk gains damage reduction 10/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 10 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the monk can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type.
    (emphasis added)
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #1421

Q 709: If a character has an increased caster level for certain spells (due to a feat, domain, etc) do they count as having that elevated caster level for purposes of prerequisites (like a feat with a prereq that reads "caster level 9th" or similar).
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 708

The immobilized condition in Tome of Magic applies only to the status created by mysteries in that book. The immobilized condition in Player's Handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide isn't fully detailed, but it does differ from the mystery-imposed condition in several important regards.

When immobilized
    • you cannot leave your square (the primary dictionary definition)
    • you lose your DEX bonus to AC (see PH on pages 26 & 50; DMG on pages 181, 187, & 195)
    • a Monk loses their AC Bonus (PH page 40)
    • you cannot attack (PH page 140): when immobilized you cannot be engaged in combat except when you are being attacked

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 708 additional

The version of the spell printed in Complete Arcane indicates that an immobilized creature is helpless.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #1424

Q 710: What ways are there to avoid alignment-based prerequisites on prestige classes (in this case, I'm specifically hoping to avoid an "any non-good" prerequisite, if it's relevant)?

Q 711: I have a source of certain feats, ACFs, classes, and various other things, that lists some tasty-looking ACFs for Sorcerers. However, my source doesn't list the actual sources. Can anybody tell me what books the follows ACFs are from?
    • School Mastery
    • Aligned Spellcaster
    • Divine Companion

Q 712: Is there such a thing as "Maximize Supernatural Ability"? What about equivalents for other metamagic feats?

EDIT: I've found the answer to my questions in Q 711 and will record them below for posterity:

A 711: School Mastery and Aligned Spellcaster are from Dragon #357. Divine Companion is from Complete Champion.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2012-08-18 at 03:53 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

15. - Top - End - #1425

HalflingPirate

A 709

Yes. If the prerequisite is Caster Level X, and any of your Caster Levels is at least X, then you meet the prerequisite.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 713

Does the Spiked Chain have a reach of 10ft or 15ft?
    If 15ft can I get a source to back that up?

17. - Top - End - #1427

HalflingPirate

A 713

As a reach weapon, an appropriately sized Spiked Chain will double your natural reach. For most Medium characters this results in a 10' reach.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Troll in the Playground

Q 714

If you have Dread Necromancer 8/PrC 12, and the PrC advances spellcasting (with the phrase "+1 level of existing spellcasting class"), does the DN's Undead Mastery progress with the casting? I.e, if it's a full progression PrC/PrCs, can the character control 4+Cha HD of undead per level, or is it 8*(4+cha) + 12*(4)?

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

A 714: Probably not, but look at the text of the PRC.

Every Prestige Class that advances spellcasting has a paragraph with the title of "Spellcasting" or "Spells per Day/Spells Known" (possibly others). This paragraph usually (unless it describes an independent casting progression) has the following phrases:

Quote Originally Posted by PrC
    When a new XX level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever (applicable) spellcasting class in which he could cast before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.
    That second sentence is usually the kicker there. Any PrC with that sentence would not progress Undead Mastery. You would need to find a PrC that specifically progresses that class feature.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-08-18 at 01:43 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 712 No.

The Wizards of the Coast online feat index shows no such feat, nor does the DragonDex Index of Feats from Dragon magazine.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Pixie in the Playground

Q715 Where can the base rules for dragons be found? I found plenty of information in the D&D wiki, but which rulebook did they originate from?

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by brobo View Post
    Q715 Where can the base rules for dragons be found? I found plenty of information in the D&D wiki, but which rulebook did they originate from?
    What do you mean by base rules? Dragons appear in the first Monster Manual and you can find a fair bit about True Dragons from the SRD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ettin in the Playground

A 715

Don't look into DandDwiki.

The basics are in the Monster Manual and on the SRD.

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 716 Does Karmic Strike let you attack an enemy before they attack you?
    And upon eventual effects that causes Daze and such, does it let you attack the enemy before they hit you, and thus negate their attack in the process?

Karmic Strike requires you to be hit with a successful attack, but as per the rules in the PHB regarding AoO's, the AoO happens before the action that allowed the AoO.
    Last edited by Dairuga; 2012-08-18 at 06:14 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 716 No.

Karmic Strike is explicit in stating an exception to the normal way attacks of opportunity work. An enemy must succeed in their attack against you before the feat's benefit applies. Their attack's damage is dealt after you use Karmic Strike for your AoO, even if they are dead by then.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Titan in the Playground

Q 717 If I have a companion with a Deliver touch spell ability (like a familiar or a tentacle whip symbiont ) does that also allows to deliver SLA?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 718. Heretic of the faith. Page 46. Dark Moon Heresy. Page 47. So long as a 'dark moon heresy' monk stays lawful neutral ( somehow ), could said monk benefit from feats / ACFs / sub-levels that require the patron deity of Selune/shar ?

Example while ignoring the requirement of sun monk order requirement:

Could a monk benefit from sun soul monk feat from champions of valor ( normally patron deity of selune ) AND dark moon disciple ( patron deity requirement of shar ) at the same time since the 'dark moon heresy' believes that they are the 'same' patron deity.

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Troll in the Playground

Q718: What would the equivalent evil steed be to a Gryphon?

Im working on a blackguard mirror to a paladin non-brew, and id like to keep the theme right.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself

29. - Top - End - #1439
    Banned

A712 Additional
    At least two Supernatural "metamagic" feats do exist, in the Binders chapter of Tome of Magic. I believe there's Enlarge and Extend; they're both limited to once per day IIRC. I do not know of Maximize being an option; talk to your DM about whether he'll houserule one. He might refer to the dragon metabreath feat Maximize Breath, which in addition to its other specifications requires the dragon to spend a full-round action breathing; whether even that would be enough to balance a Maximize Supernatural Ability I don't know, but it's something the GM can look at for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Q718: What would the equivalent evil steed be to a Gryphon?

Im working on a blackguard mirror to a paladin non-brew, and id like to keep the theme right.
    A718
    If Gryphon is a different creature from Griffon, I have no idea. Griffins are True Neutral, so I don't know if it makes any sense to "mirror" one. That said, the Hieracosphinx looks very similar to a griffin and is Evil, so it might be fitting. Personally I might go with a standard Spinx on the logic that it's nicely Evil to force an intelligent creature to serve as your steed, but that's probably going a bit overboard given the relative power levels. The Hieracosphinx is only 1 CR or 2 HD/ECL above a griffin, so if you made the griffin Celestial (and specifically Lawful), the Hieracosphinx would be an exact mirror to it.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-08-19 at 02:55 AM.

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    A718
    If Gryphon is a different creature from Griffon, I have no idea. Griffins are True Neutral, so I don't know if it makes any sense to "mirror" one. That said, the Hieracosphinx looks very similar to a griffin and is Evil, so it might be fitting. Personally I might go with a standard Spinx on the logic that it's nicely Evil to force an intelligent creature to serve as your steed, but that's probably going a bit overboard given the relative power levels. The Hieracosphinx is only 1 CR or 2 HD/ECL above a griffin, so if you made the griffin Celestial (and specifically Lawful), the Hieracosphinx would be an exact mirror to it.
    Gryphon is just a different spelling, and it just looks better and more appropriate in my opinion for the creature, they dont have an alignment, but only accept good riders.

and it didnt have to look identical
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself