New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 91 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314153055 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

What he proposed are not dual progression classes but a feat that stacks levels of two classes to calculate the benefit of class features.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    What he proposed are not dual progression classes but a feat that stacks levels of two classes to calculate the benefit of class features.
    I don't think you read my post. Here it is.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q71
    Where are such feats described, and do they exist for all core classes?

4. - Top - End - #124
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q71
    Where are such feats described, and do they exist for all core classes?
    They don't exist for all core classes. There are some in Complete Adventurer and some in Complete Scoundrel. Dragon Magazine has a bunch as well. A few Initiate feats from assorted FR books have similar benefits.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

Goblin

Q 72
    Rogue 1/Monk 10 is fanking the enemy. Does he gets 1d6 from sneak attack to all of his flurry of blows attacks?

Q 73

does Ascetic Mage feat have prequisities and if so, what are they?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

A 73

Yes. The prerequisites are Improved Unarmed Strike and the ability to spontaneously cast 2nd level arcane spells.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

A 72

Yes. Any attack that satisfies the conditions for Sneak Attack(flanking, Flatfooted, etc) gains sneak attack dice.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q74 -Is there any enchantment in a book, that gives the effect of the flaming enchantment (dms guide) except for sonic damage?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ettin in the Playground

A 74

I'm not aware of an equivalent but the Magic Item Companion has the Screaming special ability that does 1d4 sonic damage.

Q 75

Do the damage bonuses from Holy and Sacred stack if the weapon hits an evil outsider or an evil undead?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q 76
    If a character has a negative strength modifier, do natural attacks that add 0.5*Str to damage deal more damage than natural attacks that add 1*Str?

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 075 Yes.

The bonus damage sources are different, and Sacred is described as positive energy while Holy is untyped.
    Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession).
    A 076 No.
    Strength Bonus

When you hit with a melee or thrown weapon, including a sling, add your Strength modifier to the damage result. A Strength penalty, but not a bonus, applies on attacks made with a bow that is not a composite bow.

Off-Hand Weapon
    When you deal damage with a weapon in your off hand, you add only ½ your Strength bonus.
    The basic rule is that you add your Strength modifier to all damage. Only if you have a Strength bonus do you add ½ that with off hand attacks or natural attacks. Since you have a Strength penalty, you follow the basic rule and add that to both main hand and off hand attacks, and to secondary natural attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual, page 299
    natural weapons as secondary attacks (–5 penalty on attack rolls, and 1/2 Strength bonus on damage rolls).
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-26 at 03:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q 77
    When the subject of a polymorph any object spell, does one gain the hit dice associated with the new form?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Q 78 Can a Shifter druid shift while he is wildshapped?
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 79: Can a Swindlespitter be commanded to spit with a handle animal check of it's master rather than waiting for it's natural use according to the monster manual3?
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-05-27 at 09:38 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

15. - Top - End - #135

Q 80

Are there official rules for a Palanquin, rickshaw, or other human-pulled vehicle in any official 3.5 book?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    Q 80

Are there official rules for a Palanquin, rickshaw, or other human-pulled vehicle in any official 3.5 book?
    A 80: Sword and Fist is a 3.0 book with rules for such.

17. - Top - End - #137

Q81a Please help me understand mounted combat. Given a rider with a move of 30' and an arbitrarily high ride skill, and a war-trained mount with a move of 50', which of these are legal moves?

A: Mount moves 20', Rider attacks, Mount moves 30'
    B: Mount moves 20', Rider attacks, Mount moves 30' and then attacks
    C: Mount moves 50', Rider fast dismounts, Rider moves 30' and then attacks

Also,

Q81b If you use the "cover" ability of the ride skill to drop down and hang alongside your mount... what is the action to get back into the saddle? Mount?
    6-Cha Druid avatar by Savannah!

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 82

Is there a way to emulate a Feat with Use Magic Device? Namely can I somehow fake the True Believer feat to use relics to their full potential?

Q 83

Are there rules for items that "grow" (i.e. become more powerful) with the wielder?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-05-28 at 03:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 081a A. and C.
    Your mount acts on your initiative count as you direct it. You move at its speed, but the mount uses its action to move.
    The other scenario involves the mount taking two move actions and then a standard action attack, which exceeds the actions available in a round.

A 081b Yes.

Getting into the saddle is mounting. That will either involve a move action or a Ride check for Fast Mount.

A 082 Not directly.

Emulating a feat is not one of the capabilities of Use Magic Device. The closest UMD provides is Emulate a Class Feature. If you found a base class that had True Believer as a granted feat (such as Improved Unarmed Strike by emulating the unarmed strike class feature of a level 1 Monk) that would work. The Pious Templar has a requirement of having True Believer to enter that prestige class, but True Believer is not granted as a feature of that class. I don't know of any way of pretending to have True Believer with UMD.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-28 at 04:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q84

Can Underfolk (RoD p108) take the Able Learner (RoD p150) feat?
    Underfolk are of the type Humanoid (human)
    Able Learner has the prerequisite "Human or doppelganger"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ettin in the Playground

Q85

Does a large (2x) quadruped (3x) have 4x or 6x carrying capacity? I'd use a horses given capacity, but it doesn't match either for some reason.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2012-05-28 at 08:46 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 085 Neither.
    Quadrupeds can carry heavier loads than characters can. Instead of the multipliers given above, multiply the value corresponding to the creature’s Strength score from Table: Carrying Capacity by the appropriate modifier, as follows: Fine ×¼, Diminutive ×½, Tiny ×¾, Small ×1, Medium ×1½, Large ×3, Huge ×6, Gargantuan ×12, Colossal ×24.
    The factors for size are already figured into the quadruped adjustments, so it's 3x the table figures.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    A 80: Sword and Fist is a 3.0 book with rules for such.
    I'm not finding them. Can you cite page number?
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A83
    Yes - Legacy items have powers dependent on the level of the wielder.
    The rules are in the book "Weapons of Legacy" which has most of them, but there are a few examples in other books (e.g. Tome of Battle: Book of the Nine Swords).
    As presented they have negatives associated with them which are usually regarded to make them not worthwhile (also a lot of the "bonuses" are useless such as +2 enhancement bonus to strength at 16th level - anyone who wants such should already have better at that level).

A84
    Yes - the sub-type of human makes them human for feats/powers/spells that reference humans.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Banned

Q86
    The Monk's Fast Movement ability is explicitly an enhancement bonus to speed, meaning it doesn't stack with the +10 speed enhancement bonus granted by the Burst psionic power. Barbarians also have an extraordinary ability called Fast Movement, but it works differently than a monk's, coming online at 1st level rather than 3rd and not increasing at later levels. Nowhere in the text of the ability (in my PHB or the SRD) is it stated that the barbarian's flat +10 speed is an enhancement bonus. Is it? Can a multiclass Barbarian/Nomad or Barbarian/Psychic-Warrior use Burst to move 50 feet?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-05-29 at 04:30 AM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Q87

The master of many form's Extraordinary Wildshape ability says you can assume the Ex special qualities of any form you take. In the context of that ability, are immunities that aren't specified as either considered Ex or Su special qualities?

edit: also what about immunies from types, such as fire type getting fire immunity etc
    Last edited by Crake; 2012-05-29 at 05:03 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147

A86:

The bonus is untyped so it stacks with any other bonus.
    Last edited by Pilo; 2012-05-29 at 04:47 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    A86:

The bonus is untyped so it stacks with any other bonus.
    Are you sure of that? That seems like the obvious interpretation, but the fact that both abilities have the same name makes it seem likely that they could both grant the same type of bonus (enhancement), although the fact that they give different quantities of output could also indicate that they do indeed have different bonuses. Is is known that this is intentionally an untyped bonus, rather than just a failure to specify any type of bonus (or even to clarify that it would count as a bonus at all; I wouldn't assume it automatically does, it could be considered just raising the base value)? Are there any sources to cite, or are you just making an educated guess?

Q87
    Two questions on the Sense Link power.
    a. "You take half damage from all attacks that deal hit point damage to you, and the subject takes the remainder. The amount
    of damage not taken by you is taken by the subject." Since halves in D&D round down, and the part that's being explicitly halved is the damage to you, would I be correct in presuming that odd amounts of damage are divided as X to you and X+1 to the subject? So if I take 15 damage, I would lose 7 hp and my buddy would lose 8?
    b. There's a paragraph saying that if you and the subject move farther apart than Close range, the power ends; there is then a paragraph saying that you can have two other people share pain, one with the other instead of you with one other. I feel safe in presuming that Close range is defined by your manifester level even when the power is used on two others, but what I'm not clear on is this: If Pstanley causes Alice's pain to be shared with Bob, do Alan and Bob both need to stay within Close range of Pstanley, or do they just need to stay within Close range of each other? I guess technically that's "and/or"; if Pstanley is in the middle and Alice and Bob are both at the far edge of his Close range, they're out of range of each other, so does the power remain active or not?

Q88
    If you use the Danger Sense power to gain Improved Uncanny Dodge, do you use your Psion levels to determine the minimum level of rogue that can flank you? What if you're a Wilder and you Wild Surge the power up to a higher level of augmentation than your level normally allows, or use Overchannel to do the same? Do you use your actual character level? Do you stack any Barbarian/Rogue levels you have, and do you need to have Uncanny Dodge or Improved Uncanny Dodge through that class in order to do so?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-05-29 at 06:20 AM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 087 Not necessarily.

There isn't a general answer to your question other than that a characteristic which is explicitly stated to be a "special quality" and explicitly labeled as Extraordinary qualifies. For everything else you'll need to start by looking at the specific form and the specific abilities referenced. Some abilities are not designated in a creature's entry, but the ability itself is defined elsewhere; for example, Telepathy isn't designated in most creature and subtype entries, but the Monster Manual Glossary entry (page 316) states it is Supernatural. Many forms have natural abilities in addition to those which are Extraordinary, Supernatural, or Spell-like.
    special quality

Characteristics possessed by certain monsters (and sometimes characters) that are distinctive in some way. The Monster Manual has detailed information on all special qualities.
    According to that online Glossary entry, any ability not defined in Monster Manual isn't a special quality and thus is unavailable via Extraordinary Wild Shape, so it's necessary to first establish that an ability is indeed a special quality. The Fire Giant's fire immunity is a special quality because that's stated as such both specifically in its creature entry and generally on Monster Manual page 300, and the Fire subtype is in the Glossary on page 309. But none of those entries qualifies the Fire Giant's immunity to fire as either Extraordinary or Supernatural. According to the definitions, using an Extraordinary ability requires a free action unless noted otherwise, and using a Supernatural ability requires a standard action unless noted otherwise (see Monster Manual on page 315). No mention of the Fire Giant's fire immunity special ability specifies any action requirement, which means it doesn't fit either specification.

You'll need to ask questions specific to individual forms (as with the Fire Giant's fire immunity), and even then may have to ask your individual DM which way they would categorize a particular undesignated ability in their game. If for instance the DM categorized Fire Giant fire immunity as Extraordinary, they would also need to specify how that would work as a free action, given that free actions can only be used on your turn.

A 088

Your question makes no sense, so I'm going to assume you meant Share Pain instead of Sense Link.

a. Yes.

b.

The specification is that the power ends if the subject and you exceed Close range from each other, and this holds if there are two subjects. Their distance from each other does not matter, but the power ends if either subject gets too far from you.

A 089

The Danger Sense power does not specify any effective levels in any class. As such, the granted improved uncanny dodge ability can be bypassed by any Rogue with 4+ levels more than the character's actual number of Rogue (or Barbarian, or other class which specifies their levels qualify for improved uncanny dodge) levels. Psion and Wilder levels are irrelevant.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-05-29 at 07:16 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 90: What are the books in which the Binder Class features/abilities ect are placed?

RE Q 79: Anyone have anything on the swindle spitter?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/