New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 50 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2540414243444546474849505152535455565758596075 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,500 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1471
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 731

The question is pretty much moot, because you cannot "prepare" for level advancement. You go up a level immediately when your XP total is adequate (see Player's Handbook on page 58), meaning level advancement happens on the DM's schedule, not the player's. As such you would only qualify for War Hulk (step 1. Choose Class) if your DM specifically awarded the XP necessary to advance to the next level while your Goliath Barbarian was using Mountain Rage. If your DM did this, all questions about qualification at that point should be addressed to that individual DM. Normally, your level advancement would happen outside of combat and the entry to War Hulk would not be possible.
    Except through other common, more permanent means (wearing a continuous Ring of Enlarge Person, having Enlarge Person Permanencied), both of which are both permanent and temporary (you can wear a continuous Ring of Enlarge Person for the entire week that leveling would take you if your DM specified that it would take a week, and then take it off thereafter; as long as you are wearing the ring at the time of level-up, whenever that is, you qualify).

So let's change the parameters slightly: instead of qualifying through Mountain Rage (which is a specific and narrow window, but isn't necessarily part of my question so much as it is the build that inspired it), let's say that this character qualifies for a level of War Hulk by wearing a continuous Ring of Enlarge Person to become Large all the way up to, and through, level-up... And then takes the ring off. What then? If he puts the ring back on, does he regain the class features that were lost prior?
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

2. - Top - End - #1472
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    Except through other common, more permanent means (wearing a continuous Ring of Enlarge Person, having Enlarge Person Permanencied), both of which are both permanent and temporary (you can wear a continuous Ring of Enlarge Person for the entire week that leveling would take you if your DM specified that it would take a week, and then take it off thereafter; as long as you are wearing the ring at the time of level-up, whenever that is, you qualify).

So let's change the parameters slightly: instead of qualifying through Mountain Rage (which is a specific and narrow window, but isn't necessarily part of my question so much as it is the build that inspired it), let's say that this character qualifies for a level of War Hulk by wearing a continuous Ring of Enlarge Person to become Large all the way up to, and through, level-up... And then takes the ring off. What then? If he puts the ring back on, does he regain the class features that were lost prior?
    The RAW answer is that you don't lose War Hulk class features by no longer qualifying for the class. If you want the nuances that go into why people commonly interpret it otherwise, then honestly, this question is enough for its own thread. It doesn't really fall into simple or RAW anymore.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

3. - Top - End - #1473
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    The RAW answer is that you don't lose War Hulk class features by no longer qualifying for the class. If you want the nuances that go into why people commonly interpret it otherwise, then honestly, this question is enough for its own thread. It doesn't really fall into simple or RAW anymore.
    Fair enough; I think that's where this was going to go inevitably, but I was hoping there was something I missed about regaining class features.
    Homebrew!

Show

4. - Top - End - #1474
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 732. Does the Greater Master of Horror class feature of a dread witch allow it to fear Mindless creatures?

5. - Top - End - #1475
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q733

Can a character using the Drow Fighter ACF (DotU) also use the Sneak Attack Fighter and/or Thug ACFs from Unearthed Arcana? Why/why not (just so I understand and don't come here with more questions)?

6. - Top - End - #1476
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2gig View Post
    Q733

Can a character using the Drow Fighter ACF (DotU) also use the Sneak Attack Fighter and/or Thug ACFs from Unearthed Arcana? Why/why not (just so I understand and don't come here with more questions)?
    A733 (partial)
    The Drow Fighter ACF can definitely be used in conjunction with the Sneak Attack fighter ACF, as the two trade separate features (the Sneak Attack ACF trades out feats, while the Hit-and-Run ACF trades out heavy armor and shield proficiency). I don't think it can be used in conjunction with the Thug ACF, as they trade the same features (the Thug ACF trades out medium and heavy armor proficiency, as well as shield proficiency, and the Hit-and-Run ACF trades out heavy armor and shield proficiencies).
    Homebrew!

Show

7. - Top - End - #1477
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q734
    Can I use the Iaijitsu skill while drawing daggers to throw? Oriental Adventures has the following to say on the skill use:

If you attack a flat-footed opponent immediately
    after drawing a melee weapon, you can deal extra damage,
    based on the result of an Iaijutsu Focus check.

It doesn't specify it needs to be a melee attack, only to draw a melee weapon. A dagger is a melee weapon, but I'll use it to make a ranged attack.
    My personal folder is a graveyard of ideas, stuck in their dream phase.
    The "DM won't kill us" attitude is a bubble that sometimes needs to be bursted.
    There's an armor variant rule in UA that will drastically increase character survivability without completely bubble-wrapping them in plot invulnerability
    Throphies won:
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #1478
    Banned

A734
    I believe this was covered by Curmudgeon earlier in the thread. My recollection is that the ruling was this: If your attack with the dagger is a ranged attack, the dagger is a ranged weapon, regardless of whether it could have been used for melee instead. There was some special case involving two weapons that might have been an exception but I don't recall the details; with only one dagger I'm pretty sure it was a definite "no".

9. - Top - End - #1479
    Titan in the Playground

Q 735

The spell Heart's Ease from the Book of Exalted Deeds is Permanent in Duration, and cures a wide range of conditions.

Suppose that a character is affected by the Insanity spell, and in addition has suffered 2 Wisdom damage. A Cleric casts Heart's Ease on the afflicted character, curing the Insanity and Wisdom damage.

Since Heart's Ease is Permanent, the character is still under it's effect.

A. Suppose the character is subjected to the Insanity spell again. Is the character immune due to the ongoing effect of Heart's Ease, a spell which "cures confusion and insanity"?

B. Same question for Wisdom damage.

C. Suppose Heart's Ease is dispelled. Does the Insanity return? What about the Wisdom damage?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

10. - Top - End - #1480
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 735
    Heart’s ease cures emotional wounds in the same way that heal wipes away physical ones.
    Because Heal has an instantaneous effect, most of Heart's Ease's measurable effects are instantaneous as well. The subjects of the spell are cured once, not continuously. The intangible effects of Heart's Ease ─ removal of lingering psychological effects of torture, and feeling refreshed and at peace ─ are permanent.

11. - Top - End - #1481
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 736

Can you use Adamantine Hurricane/Mithral Tornado with a reach weapon that can't attack adjacent squares?

12. - Top - End - #1482

Q377

What happens if you cast dispell on someone who has "Permanency enlarge" on them?

A: Can it be dispelled?
    B: Is it lost forever?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

13. - Top - End - #1483
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    Q377

What happens if you cast dispell on someone who has "Permanency enlarge" on them?

A: Can it be dispelled?
    B: Is it lost forever?
    Q737
    Yes and yes. This is the downside to using Permanency instead of a magic item.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-08-21 at 06:52 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1484

AssassinGuy

Q378

Can a spindlespitter dinosaur (MM3 pg41) use its posion breath as a AOO?

15. - Top - End - #1485

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q737
    Yes and yes. This is the downside to using Permanency instead of a magic item.
    Opps, and thank you.

I dislike that. I may have to houserule it. mmmm needs thought.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

16. - Top - End - #1486
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 736

You can execute those maneuvers while wielding a reach weapon, but you probably wouldn't like the results. Adamantine Hurricane is explicit in applying only to adjacent creatures you threaten, so wielding a reach weapon and not threatening adjacent squares will simply waste that maneuver. Mithral Tornado requires you to make an attack against all adjacent opponents, so you would be forced to use unarmed strikes if you wielded only a reach weapon. That's the case even if you would provoke attacks of opportunity for every one of those unarmed strikes.

A 738 No.

An attack of opportunity is always a single melee attack into a square you threaten. Poison Spray is an area effect, not an attack, and also does not threaten.

17. - Top - End - #1487
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 739

If I have Improved Trip and make a trip attack during an attack of opportunity, do I still get to follow up with a melee attack if the trip is successful?

18. - Top - End - #1488
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 739 Yes.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

19. - Top - End - #1489
    Banned

Q740

If a creature has Psi-Like abilities which are automatically augmented to its Effective Manifester Level, does the creature have the ability to choose among all the augmentation options that the EML allows it, or does it always produce the PLA with a particular augmentation option? Most psionic creatures' statblocks seem to list one particular version of a power as the PLA, but it isn't clear whether this is meant to be a default, typical choice or the only legal option.

For example, Psionic Dominate offers the option to augment it in a wide range of ways. When an aboleth uses its Psionic Dominate PLA, augmented up to its EML of 13, does it always have to affect "any creature, 24 hours", or can it choose, say, "humanoids only, two targets, one day per manifester level", and enslave an entire six-person party for almost two weeks within three rounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    I dislike that. I may have to houserule it. mmmm needs thought.
    Well just keep in mind that, however much you trust the prices listed in the PHB, Permanency was (probably) priced with full awareness that it could be dispelled. The designers probably did not assume that EVERYONE will cast Dispel Magic on EVERYTHING they fight, though one can certainly posit a belief that they should have.

20. - Top - End - #1490
    Ogre in the Playground

Q741
    When using Shadow conjuration, can you apply metamagics that you possess to the shadow'd spell? Can you use Greater Shadow conjuration to make a shadow Maximized Fireball, or a shadow Invisible Summon Monster VI?
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

21. - Top - End - #1491
    Ogre in the Playground

Q742

What happens when you make an apparently-legal charge and you are interrupted (say, by an invisible creature in your straight-line path). Is your movement stopped and the action forfeited, on account of being surprised? Can you just charge the 'whatever is in my way' and roll the miss chance? What options are there?
    Quote Originally Posted by zyphyr View Post
    They don't actually love Gold, they only say that to get it into bed.
    John Dies At The End
    Sauron vs. Voldemort

22. - Top - End - #1492
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 743

Are standing from prone and moving out of a threatened square two separate opportunities for an AoO? For example if I have a reach weapon and enough AoOs in a round, can I take an AoO for a person standing up 10ft away and then take another AoO if they attempt to move?
    Last edited by Leekos; 2012-08-22 at 09:39 AM.

23. - Top - End - #1493

A 743

The srd say yes, you are performing a distracted act (stand from prone) and a move (move away).
    However the second one can prevented by taking a 5-foot step before starting to move.

Edit: no 5-foot step, my bad.

Spoiler
    Show

Combat Reflexes and Additional Attacks of Opportunity

If you have the Combat Reflexes feat you can add your Dexterity modifier to the number of attacks of opportunity you can make in a round. This feat does not let you make more than one attack for a given opportunity, but if the same opponent provokes two attacks of opportunity from you, you could make two separate attacks of opportunity (since each one represents a different opportunity). Moving out of more than one square threatened by the same opponent in the same round doesn’t count as more than one opportunity for that opponent. All these attacks are at your full normal attack bonus.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/att...pportunity.htm
    Last edited by Pilo; 2012-08-22 at 11:17 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1494
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    A 743

The srd say yes, you are performing a distracted act (stand from prone) and a move (move away).
    However the second one can prevented by taking a 5-foot step before starting to move.
    CAN they take a 5-foot step, though? Since they've already used a move action to stand up..

25. - Top - End - #1495
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A 743, correction

They cannot take a 5' step and then move in the same turn. You can take a 5' step if you use your Move action to stand from prone.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

26. - Top - End - #1496
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 744

Could you use complete withdrawal without getting up from prone?

27. - Top - End - #1497
    Ogre in the Playground

A 744. No

Crawling
    You can crawl 5 feet as a move action. Crawling incurs attacks of opportunity from any attackers who threaten you at any point of your crawl.
    Additional clarification. Withdrawing is a full round action, in which a character can move double his speed. The SRD states "You may not withdraw using a form of movement for which you don’t have a listed speed. "

Unless the character has a listed crawl speed, or some other means of moving without getting up from prone (burrowing, perhaps) they cannot withdraw without getting up from prone.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-08-22 at 11:26 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

28. - Top - End - #1498
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 745 If a wizard casts Ray of Stupidity twice on the same target in two consecutive rounds, do both spells take effect normally, or is there some rule that stops them from stacking?

29. - Top - End - #1499

Quote Originally Posted by Randomguy View Post
    Q 745 If a wizard casts Ray of Stupidity twice on the same target in two consecutive rounds, do both spells take effect normally, or is there some rule that stops them from stacking?
    A 745 They would stack. Ray of Stupidity deals ability damage, which means that the effect is cumulative; if, instead, it applied a penalty (as touch of idiocy does) they would not stack, because penalties from the same source don't stack.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

30. - Top - End - #1500
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 742

If your movement leading up to a charge attack is interrupted, you fail to execute a charge. This happens if you didn't Spot a square of difficult terrain on the way, for instance. If there is an invisible creature blocking the path to your intended target you cannot instead charge the invisible creature.
    If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.
    Because you didn't execute a charge, you instead took some other action ─ most likely a single or double move, depending on the distance you traveled before stopping short. You are free to take whatever other actions are permitted to you at that point.
    A creature can squeeze past an opponent while moving but it can’t end its movement in an occupied square.

You can squeeze through or into a space that is at least half as wide as your normal space. Each move into or through a narrow space counts as if it were 2 squares, and while squeezed in a narrow space you take a -4 penalty on attack rolls and a -4 penalty to AC.
    You still won't see the invisible creature, but slowing down because the space is occupied will foil your charge and let you know there's something there. (If the creature had taken an attack of opportunity at you when you exited their threatened space to squeeze into their occupied space you would already know this.) If you still have movement available you could keep going, knowing that the invisible creature only gets a single AoO for all of your movement out of squares they threaten. If you still have a standard action available you could attack the invisible creature's square (though you must wait until you exit it, both because the rules prohibit ending your movement in an occupied square, and because you'd be attacking all creatures in the square ─ including yourself ).