New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 52 of 91 FirstFirst ... 22742434445464748495051525354555657585960616277 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1531
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Gandariel View Post
    Q 759 ADDENDUM
    The thing i was thinking about is: can a Dire Eagle companion grapple an enemy, fly up and then drop him for massive damage?

but the question is extended to every monster and animal. is grapple possible for monsters? or do they provoke every time as well?
    A 759 (Addendum) yes.

A Dire eagle, like all creatures, has a grapple modifier. (Even a shrieker has a grapple modifier, even though it has no strength or dex score). You can't move normally while grappling. However.

In order to move while grappling, the dire eagle must win an opposed grapple check. At that point it can move half its speed. Note that it is a standard action, and not a move action. At that point, assuming it can continue to win opposed grapple checks, and the creature it is carrying does not exceed its light load (assuming no feats that enhance flight), it can carry it wherever and drop it. At that point, the creature being carried may not want to be dropped and an opposed grapple check would have to be done in order to escape from grapple.

If a creature is attacking with natural weapons, or if it has the improved grapple feat using unarmed strike, it does not provoke AoO by initiating grapple.

EDIT: See below for additional clarification. Curmudgeon is weighing in
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-08-25 at 10:19 AM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

2. - Top - End - #1532
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 759 addendum No.

A dire eagle does not have either Improved Grab or Improved Grapple. It will provoke attacks of opportunity when attempting to start a grapple, and if an AoO deals damage then the grapple attempt fails.

Should the dire eagle succeed in starting a grapple, it would be unable to move unless it succeeded on an opposed grapple check as a standard action. That allows moving at half speed. A dire eagle's average maneuverability requires moving at minimum half speed horizontally, so there would be no possibility of gaining altitude. The dire eagle would also be limited to its light load limit; flight with heavier loads is impossible. With STR 20, a dire eagle's light load limit is 266 lbs. (133 lbs. for STR 20, x2 for Large size). [The figure of 399 lbs. in Races of Stone is incorrect; an eagle is not quadrupedal (i.e., having 4 feet).]

If the dire eagle managed to move horizontally with its grappling foe over a drop (across a canyon, for instance), it could not simply drop the carried creature. Instead, it would have to win either an opposed grapple check (in place of an attack), or an Escape Artist check (as a standard action). Attempting either of these checks would prevent the dire eagle from making the standard action grapple check to move and maintain the minimum horizontal movement required to keep flying, so the dire eagle would always stall and fall, regardless of whether it succeeded in escaping from the grapple.

3. - Top - End - #1533
    Troll in the Playground

Q 759 ADDENDUM'S ADDENDUM

so...

the general question was: can a general monster grapple without provoking?

and the side question was: can a dire eagle (or other flying animal) do that trick?
    Quote Originally Posted by actual quote from this forum
    So yeah. your wrong.
    Check out Camp Archimedes, a (slightly homebrew) mercenary camp full of interesting units. A great addition to any campaign (in my very biased opinion)

4. - Top - End - #1534
    Ogre in the Playground

Q760: While I agree that the Improved Grab special ability allows a melee attack with a grapple attempt as a free action without provoking an AoO, and the Improved Grapple feat allows a grapple attempt without provoking an AoO, wouldn't a natural weapon count as an "Armed" unarmed attack, per the SRD, and therefore not provoke AoO if being used to initiate a grapple? Delivering a touch spell is an armed unarmed touch attack and does not provoke, why does a monster that is exclusively attempting to grapple provoke with its natural weapons?

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

5. - Top - End - #1535
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Q761: Does the (1 round) ongoing effect of a Lingering Spell count as continuous damage for the purposes of a eliciting a concentration check?
    Last edited by Hecuba; 2012-08-25 at 10:33 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1536
    Ettin in the Playground

Q762

Karsites, from Tome of Magic, having the following rules text in their racial traits:

Karsites possess all the traits of humans as described in the Player’s Handbook, except as noted here.
    Does this mean their racial traits are the following?:

• +2 Constitution, +2 Charisma
    • Medium
    • Base land speed of 30 ft
    • Bonus Feat
    • 4 extra skill points at 1st, 1 every level after
    • DR 5/Magic
    • SR 10+Class levels
    • Magic Draining attacks
    • Spell Healing
    • Spellcasting Inability

7. - Top - End - #1537
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    The dire eagle would also be limited to its light load limit; flight with heavier loads is impossible.
    Where is this established?

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 757
    However, there are non-mathematical reasons why you might want to do one or the other. For example, if you don't want the target to know that the power is unusually difficult to resist.
    Wouldn't they know they were getting a penalty instead?

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A 757 additional:

Do note that increasing the DC of your spells by 2 only affects your spells that target others, while the literal wording you quoted: "the target of your spells takes a -2 penalty on saving throws" could affect other saving throws the target makes, depending on the exact wording.
    Apologies, that is not the exact wording. This is in reference to the Feat "Dragonfoe" from Draconomicon, which I was trying to reword in a more elegant way without changing its meaning.

Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls against dragons and a +2 bonus on caster level checks made to overcome a dragon’s spell resistance. Also, dragons take a –2 penalty on saving throws against your spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities.
    My proposed rewording (for the sake of compactness and quick reference):

Benefit: +2 bonus on attack rolls, SR checks, and spell, SLA, or SuA saving throw DCs vs. dragons,
    The reword can't be done in a single sentence if it's actually functionally important that they gave any dragon a penalty to save against your spell, rather than making your spell harder for a dragon to save against.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-08-25 at 01:39 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1538
    Colossus in the Playground

The dire eagle would also be limited to its light load limit; flight with heavier loads is impossible.
    Impossible without feats. There's feats in Races of the Dragon that fix this. The basic point is sound though.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

9. - Top - End - #1539

Q 763 I am playing a duskblade, level 13 if it makes any difference. Can I use a Lesser Rod of Maximize to maximize a Vampiric Touch into my spell-storing falchion? Or does that make it techincally a 4th level spell that won't fit in my sword? Or is it not even castable into the sword in the first place since for me as a spontaneous caster a maximized spell would be a full round action?
    Last edited by Gnome Alone; 2012-08-25 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Because apparently I can't count
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

10. - Top - End - #1540
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 760

The attack of opportunity for starting a grapple has nothing to do with being armed or unarmed, so having a natural weapon grants you no benefit. You must take the Improved Grapple feat or have the Improved Grab special attack to circumvent the AoO.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

11. - Top - End - #1541
    Colossus in the Playground

The Improved Unarmed Strike feat is apparently enough as well for some things:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#...dUnarmedStrike
    Improved Unarmed Strike [General]
    Benefit
    You are considered to be armed even when unarmed —that is, you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from armed opponents when you attack them while unarmed.

Which might explain the theory that all things "considered to be armed" don't provoke attacks of opportunity for things that would if they were unarmed.

The phrasing of Improved Grapple, however, implies that even Improved Unarmed Strike isn't enough on its own (since IUS is a prerequisite for it).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2012-08-25 at 04:40 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #1542
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    The Improved Unarmed Strike feat is apparently enough as well for some things:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#...dUnarmedStrike
    Improved Unarmed Strike [General]
    Benefit
    You are considered to be armed even when unarmed —that is, you do not provoke attacks of opportunity from armed opponents when you attack them while unarmed.

Which might explain the theory that all things "considered to be armed" don't provoke attacks of opportunity for things that would if they were unarmed.

The phrasing of Improved Grapple, however, implies that even Improved Unarmed Strike isn't enough on its own (since IUS is a prerequisite for it).
    Improved Unarmed Strike only does that for regular attacks (and tripping). Grappling, sunder, disarm, etc., still provoke without additional measures.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-08-25 at 05:21 PM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #1543
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A 762

Yes.Karsites gain the human's extra feat and skill points. ( the sample 1 level warrior karsite has 2 feats)

14. - Top - End - #1544
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Where is this established?
    Monster Manual Glossary under Movement Modes:
    Fly: A creature with a fly speed can move through the air at the indicated speed if carrying no more than a light load; see Carrying Capacity, page 161 of the Player's Handbook. (Note that medium armor does not necessarily constitute a medium load.)
    Armor, which restricts leg movement, slows down a walking creature. Armor for a winged creature does not cover or restrict wings. Consequently there are no flying speed reductions due to armor (except from the weight of that armor, naturally); the rules simply provide a fixed load limit below which flight is possible, and above which flight is impossible.

A 762

If you combine the Human Racial Traits entry (Player's Handbook, pages 12-13) with the KARSITES AS CHARACTERS information after "Karsite characters possess the following racial traits." you get the correct trait list. Note that your list is incomplete and omits significant trait entries, such as:
    • Proficiencies
    • Favored Class
    • Level Adjustment

A 763

The attempt fails because a metamagic-modified spell with a casting lime longer than 1 standard action cannot be used with Arcane Channeling. The spell level does not appear to be an issue; I'm not sure where you got that idea from.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-08-25 at 05:54 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1545

A 763

The attempt fails because a metamagic-modified spell with a casting lime longer than 1 standard action cannot be used with Arcane Channeling. The spell level does not appear to be an issue; I'm not sure where you got that idea from.
    Somewhat new to the idea of metamagic in the first place, I somehow got the impression that metamagic rods still modified the spell's level. My eyes must've glazed over the appropriate sentence in the SRD, which says they don't.

My intent, though, is not to cast the spell via Arcane Channeling nor even in battle in the first place. My thought was to cast Vampiric Touch normally, but with a rod of maximize, into my spell-storing weapon (while at camp or some such) then discharge it while attacking later. In conjunction with Arcane Channeling another spell like Shocking Grasp or Dimension Hop, yeah, but seeing as how that's separate from the spell-storing metamagic shennanigans I didn't think that'd be a problem.

I'm beginning to suspect this question may be complicated enough to start a thread about.
    Last edited by Gnome Alone; 2012-08-25 at 07:42 PM.
    Avatar by the one and only Ceika.
    "I'll be whatever I wanna do." - Philip J. Fry
    my fake wizard|my fake one-shot|my fake link

16. - Top - End - #1546
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 764

Can you take a 5 ft. step and a standard action while being staggered?

Q 765

Is there any functional difference between being invisible and not being spotted?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-08-26 at 05:32 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1547
    Pixie in the Playground

RangerGuy

Q766

Is there a way to perceive that you are under the chain of eyes spell after you have failed your will save?

thanks in advance
    Trugbild
    Last edited by Trugbild; 2012-08-26 at 06:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1548
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 764 Yes.

A 765 Yes.

An invisible creature can be detected with fixed DC Spot checks; see here. You cannot do the same against a hidden creature, because that's an opposed check. Any visually undetectable creature denies opponents their DEX bonus to AC, but Rules Compendium created a new rule which also treats opponents as flat-footed when you're hidden (but not invisible); see page 92.

A 766

You can examine yourself with Detect Magic (perhaps using a mirror to see your eyes, though the spell actually affects all of you as the target creature) and make a successful Spellcraft check to determine the school of magic (Divination) involved in the magical aura associated with the spell. Because you can see/detect the effects of the spell (in the ongoing magical aura) while using Detect Magic, you can make another Spellcraft check to identify that spell, already in place and in effect.

19. - Top - End - #1549
    Titan in the Playground

Q767 If you share a spell, as per the share spell familiar ability, whose parameters are not a function of CL but of character levels (like Divine Power) do you use your own HD for your companion (in this particular case a symbiont) or do they use their own HD to determine the effects of the spell?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

20. - Top - End - #1550

ClericGirl

Q761, the rerun: Does the (1 round) ongoing effect of a Lingering Spell count as continuous damage for the purposes of a eliciting a concentration check?

21. - Top - End - #1551
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 767

Share Spells extends the same spell to master and familiar, using the caster's CL. Each creature is then affected as per the description of the spell, so the familiar would use their own hit dice and other characteristics to determine spell effects. Note: The familiar can be affected by spells which do not affect creatures of the familiar’s type (magical beast), but if a spell does affect magical beats (as well as the master's creature type) and has varying effects depending on creature type, the familiar's type is used here as well.

22. - Top - End - #1552
    Halfling in the Playground

Q768

Does someone "interacting" with someone wearing a hat of disguise receive a DC 12 Will save to recognize the illusion? What consitutes this interaction, exactly?
    Last edited by Nightpenguin; 2012-08-27 at 11:04 AM.

Characters:
    Adventuring School: Irian

23. - Top - End - #1553
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nightpenguin View Post
    Q768

Does someone "interacting" with someone wearing a hat of disguise receive a DC 11 Will save to recognize the illusion? What consitutes this interaction, exactly?
    A768 partial
    I'm not sure this can be answered formally, but my thinking cap suggests that one example of such interaction would be touching the person and finding a) that you've failed to touch a protrusion of some sort (eg a feather in their cap) because it doesn't exist, or b) the texture of the surface doesn't match its appearance (you see a girl in a bikini, but when you go to touch her shoulder you feel plate mail).

24. - Top - End - #1554
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A761: Probably. This is really a DM's call but I think it should.

25. - Top - End - #1555
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 769: Am I understaning negative levels correctly? If a chracter is given say 2 negative levels, after 24 hours if they have not addressed those levels via magical means of removal, they have one last chance to make a fort save, and if that is failed, they are permanently reduced to the given level. So if a Barbarian 3/Fighter 2/Beast Master 1 is hit with 2 negative levels, they are reduced down to Barbarian 3/Fighter 1.

Right?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

26. - Top - End - #1556

DruidGuy

Q 770: Does a wizard have any spell that can mind control victim? Not geass, not suggestion - I'm looking for spell that has effects similiar to the possession.
    Last edited by Hyena; 2012-08-27 at 04:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1557
    Ogre in the Playground

A 770: Dominate Person, Dominate Monster spring to mind immediately.

28. - Top - End - #1558
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A770 additional

For a more possession-like "your body is mine now" effect, there's Magic Jar.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

29. - Top - End - #1559
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q771
    I apologize if this is a silly question, but are there any rules about repairing sundered weapons/armor? If so, where can I find them?
    A man has to come to terms with life as it is.

30. - Top - End - #1560
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mightypickle View Post
    Q771
    I apologize if this is a silly question, but are there any rules about repairing sundered weapons/armor? If so, where can I find them?
    An item that takes damage from a sunder attempt can be repaired using Craft skills as normal.

However, a fully destroyed (all hp lost) magic item cannot be repaired- "all it's magical power is lost."
    Last edited by Drynwyn; 2012-08-27 at 08:36 PM.