New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 57 of 91 FirstFirst ... 73247484950515253545556575859606162636465666782 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1681
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 840

Is there a published Crystalline or Crystal template with an LA?

2. - Top - End - #1682
    Troll in the Playground

Q 840

Doublepost, sorry.
    Last edited by RFLS; 2012-09-06 at 10:51 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1683
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A818
    If the ability duplicates the effect of a spell then the SRD kicks in with:
    20 + spell level Identify a spell that’s already in place and in effect. You must be able to see or detect the effects of the spell. No action required. No retry.
    20 + spell level Identify materials created or shaped by magic, such as noting that an iron wall is the result of a wall of iron spell. No action required. No retry.
    25 + spell level After rolling a saving throw against a spell targeted on you, determine what that spell was. No action required. No retry.

Yes they did not come from a spell, but if the effects are the same then Spellcraft will identify that - what is DM's call is if it tells you that it was not a spell that caused it.
    Situational Modifiers are probably appropriate - for instance a SU fireball is in reality about DC0 - everyone knows what it is.

4. - Top - End - #1684
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    Situational Modifiers are probably appropriate - for instance a SU fireball is in reality about DC0 - everyone knows what it is.
    I disagree. While it is obvious that it was an AoE fire effect, unless you succeed on a spellcraft check you would not know it is a fireball. it could be any other AoE fire effect.

5. - Top - End - #1685
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    I disagree. While it is obvious that it was an AoE fire effect, unless you succeed on a spellcraft check you would not know it is a fireball. it could be any other AoE fire effect.
    Shaped like a ball. Fired from Long range. Which starts out as a little bead and then explodes when it reaches the target point.

Maybe if no-one has ever used a Fireball in the universe before, you need a Spellcraft check to figure this out. After a while, it would be commonplace enough that anyone who isn't actively avoiding learning things would be incapable of not knowing. (This is why I have something of a problem with Knowledge skills and the complete impossibility of increasing them through day-to-day experience.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-07 at 01:50 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1686
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, so that's to identify the effect independent of the detect magic effects? Is that what it falls back on if there's not an actual school of magic for detect magic to detect? Okay, fair enough. But, those DCs are kind of hard to determine for, say, the balor's flaming body ability. It's not duplicating the effects of any spell, there's no spell level listed, and there's no indication what school of magic the spell would be. Or, for a more common example, a druid who has wild shaped.

7. - Top - End - #1687
    Bugbear in the Playground

MonkGuy

Q841

Draconomicon says that Dragons of at least Old age qualify for epic feats, however old age puts a dragon PC into the 30's or so ECL. However the ELH grants feats to PC's starting at 21st level.

Which of these am I supposed to use as a Dragon PC?

8. - Top - End - #1688

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Q 840

A 840: Is mineral warrior close enough?
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

9. - Top - End - #1689
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Shaped like a ball. Fired from Long range. Which starts out as a little bead and then explodes when it reaches the target point.

Maybe if no-one has ever used a Fireball in the universe before, you need a Spellcraft check to figure this out. After a while, it would be commonplace enough that anyone who isn't actively avoiding learning things would be incapable of not knowing. (This is why I have something of a problem with Knowledge skills and the complete impossibility of increasing them through day-to-day experience.)
    You might come up with the name fireball, as the effect is pretty self-explanatory but you would not know that it is a 3rd level Evocation spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard and maybe on some other spell lists. With obvious visual evidence and no similar spells this might be easy, but try to differentiate Finger of Death from Power Word Kill without spellcraft.

Two other questions to ponder:

Where does it even say that Spellcraft can be used to identify Sp and Su abilities?

Are instantaneous spell even "in place and in effect" long enough to be studied with spellcraft?

10. - Top - End - #1690
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    With obvious visual evidence and no similar spells this might be easy, but try to differentiate Finger of Death from Power Word Kill without spellcraft.
    True, but that reinforces my point...Spellcraft is needed in the case of such subtle spells, but shouldn't (common-sensically, rather than RAWfully) be necessary in the case of something as obvious as a Fireball. Spellcraft might be necessary to determine the exact particulars of Fireball...if you've only seen your wizard buddy lobbing them from 50 feet away, you probably don't know that the range starts at 600 feet and goes up to double that (pre-epic). Likewise, you might not be clear on the fact that Fireballing a wall sometimes, but only sometimes, succeeds in roasting someone who's behind the wall (depending on spread distance and/or ability to destroy the wall). Still, I can't see trying to convince a player that he's not allowed to use the word "fireball" to describe what he just saw, unless the setting is intentionally lampshade-tastic like OOTS.

Quote Originally Posted by TypoNinja View Post
    Q841

Draconomicon says that Dragons of at least Old age qualify for epic feats, however old age puts a dragon PC into the 30's or so ECL. However the ELH grants feats to PC's starting at 21st level.

Which of these am I supposed to use as a Dragon PC?
    A841
    If your dragon is a PC he can get epic feats the same way any other ECL 21+ character can. The bit about dragons is just a clarification that dragons which are there for the party to fight don't need class levels to get epic feats. (Neither would, say, an HD-advanced Balor, it's just that larger dragons of sufficient age default to being CR 20+ and thus the writers probably figured it deserved special mention in their case. Nevermind that CR is usually lower than the equivalent ECL anyway.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-07 at 08:43 AM.

11. - Top - End - #1691

Q 842

Does a were octopus retain its extra limbs in hybrid form?

12. - Top - End - #1692
    Banned

Hm, that's true, an Octopus is an Animal rather than Vermin. I am in awe.

Q843
    If a Dorje is created at a higher manifester level, it automatically augments to the maximum level allowed. For powers where there is more than one legal option to augment for a given amount, does the dorje's crafter have to select which augmentation is used, or can the activator choose when manifesting?

13. - Top - End - #1693
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 818 [correction]
    Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    This statement is contradicted by the RAW. The actuality is that a Supernatural or Spell-like ability duplicating a Fireball spell cannot be identified by Spellcraft at all.

The only way to use Spellcraft to identify a Fireball spell is to see or hear the spell’s verbal or somatic components as it's being cast. If instead you're trying to identify a Supernatural or Spell-like effect there is obviously no casting involved. An Instantaneous effect cannot be identified as "already in place and in effect" because the magic is instantaneously used up and gone. A Fireball is not targeted against anyone, so there is no option to use Spellcraft after making a saving throw.

A componentless Fireball, an alchemical fire bomb, and laser beams shooting out of a robot will all cause fire damage. None of these can be distinguished using the Spellcraft skill.

14. - Top - End - #1694
    Troll in the Playground

Q 844

Are there any specific rules governing Small characters riding Large mounts (like a Halfling Ashworm Dragoon)? Is it the exact same as Small creatures riding Medium mounts?

15. - Top - End - #1695
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 845

How do the following two rules interact?

Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 179
    Instead, the character chooses a particular part of the day to pray and receive spells.
    [...]
    If some event prevents a character from praying at the proper time, he must do so as soon as possible. If the character does not stop to pray for spells at the first opportunity, he must wait until the next day to prepare spells.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB p. 180
    However, the character’s mind is considered fresh only during his or her first daily spell preparation, so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a slot that is empty because he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a previously prepared spell.
    Does that mean a spell slot that is not filled with a spell is lost for the day or does it mean divine casters can like arcane ones later prepare a spell in a previously open slot?

Q 846

What does the Spell Ebon Eyes actually do for a character without low-light or darkvision? The description seems to contradict itself:

Quote Originally Posted by Spell Compendium p. 77
    The subject of this spell gains the ability to see normally in natural and magical darkness, although it does not otherwise improve the subject’s ability to see in natural dark or shadowy conditions. The subject ignores the miss chance due to lack of illumination other than total darkness.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-09-08 at 01:14 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1696
    Banned

Scratch my previous question, but now I have a new one.

Q847
    The Heavy Warhorse has +3 BAB and 18 Strength, which should mean it has +7 on melee attacks. But its attack is listed as "Hoof +6 melee". Is this just copypasta, or is there a penalty I'm not aware of?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-08 at 05:56 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1697
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Scratch my previous question, but now I have a new one.

Q847
    The Heavy Warhorse has +3 BAB and 18 Strength, which should mean it has +7 on melee attacks. But its attack is listed as "Hoof +6 melee". Is this just copypasta, or is there a penalty I'm not aware of?
    A847
    Large creatures get -1 to hit.
    Small get +1
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

18. - Top - End - #1698

Q848

The Consecrate Spell and Purify Spell metamagic feats (from the Book of Exalted Deeds) can give any spell the good descriptor.

What about spells that have already the evil descriptor? Can they be made into good spells with these feats?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2012-09-08 at 08:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #1699
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ranting Fool View Post
    A847
    Large creatures get -1 to hit.
    Small get +1
    thud OH, RIGHT. (thanks.)

A848
    Not by Good clerics, at any rate, as they can't cast the spells in the first place. For characters with no such restriction, I think it would work, though Exalted status might give you the same restriction as a cleric, not sure.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-08 at 08:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1700
    Ogre in the Playground

A 845
    Divine casters have to prepare all of their spells in one go. As your quotes say, your "mind is considered fresh only during his or her first daily spell preparation". Slots left open can't be filled after the fact, so don't leave any open.

My Homebrew-Estote clementes, et numquam desinete discere.-FanAdv

21. - Top - End - #1701
    Banned

Q849
    Can a factotum spend multiple inspiration points in the course of a single action? For instance, 1 to add his Intelligence to an attack roll, 1 to add it to the damage roll, 1 to give it Sneak Attack, and maybe 1 to boost a Skill check (such as Hide if he was sniping) right afterward?

22. - Top - End - #1702
    Titan in the Playground

A849 Yes, because the different uses for inspiration points are called out in their description.

Cunning insight (add int to damage/atk/save) doesn't require an action and is explicitly usable as often as you like during your turn or others' turns as long as you have the points to pay for it

Cunning strike (sneak attack) is a free action, and is usable only 1/round/enemy. if 2 guys were standing next to you, then you could full attack and SA each of them in sequence (assuming you were under improved invis or something)

Cunning knowledge (boost to skills) is also not an action, you use it as part of whatever action you take using that skill.

cunning defense is a free action, as is cunning breach.

cunning surge does not take an action of any kind, but can only be used during your turn.

cunning dodge also does not take an action, but is obviously usable during others' turns
    Last edited by Venger; 2012-09-08 at 12:51 PM.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

23. - Top - End - #1703
    Titan in the Playground

Q850:Does having Psi-like abilities which have Manifester Level=HD (from Phrenic Template for example) would qualify me for a Prestige Class that requires ML 5 as a pre-requisite?
    Last edited by Dusk Eclipse; 2012-09-08 at 01:20 PM.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

24. - Top - End - #1704
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 846

The text of Ebon Eyes is confusing; it's not contradictory. The short description of the spell (found in the spell lists in Chapter 2 of Spell Compendium) has the main feature that this spell provides:
    Ebon Eyes: Subject can see through magical darkness.
    The rest of it is here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebon Eyes
    The subject ignores the miss chance due to lack of illumination other than total darkness.
    From the "Exploration" section of the Player's Handbook Adventuring chapter (page 164):
    In an area of shadowy illumination, a character can see dimly. Creatures within this area have concealment (see page 152) relative to that character.
    So the main benefit of Ebon Eyes is that given in the short description (ignore magical darkness effects). The secondary benefit is to skip the 20% miss chance from natural dim light. Otherwise, the subject sees normally.

A 848

Yes, Purify Spell and Consecrate Spell will give spells the [Good] descriptor. Note that this will not remove any [Evil] descriptor from those spells.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-09-08 at 02:54 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1705
    Halfling in the Playground

Q851

The "Enfeebling" weapon enchantment from BoED states: "Enfeebling:On a critical hit, this weapon deals 1d6+2 points of temporary Strength damage in addition to its regular damage."

In the FAQ, this question is posed: "The flaming burst, icy burst, and shocking burst weapon powers require a critical hit to trigger the burst. What happens when you attack a foe that isn’t subject to critical hits? What happens if your critical hit is negated by fortification?"

With the relevant answer being:

If an effect is negated, it is invalidated, prevented, or ended with respect to a designated area or target. That’s true whether the negation is automatic (such as from immunity) or contingent upon a roll or check (fortification).
    If another effect is contingent on the success of a root effect (like, say, any of the burst weapons in the DMG, which are triggered on a successful critical hit), and the root effect is negated, the contingent effect is also negated. In the case of these burst weapons, if the critical hit is negated so is the burst weapon’s critical-dependant effect, since it is triggered on a “successful critical hit” (DMG 224 Flaming Burst entry and DMG 225 Icy Burst and Shocking Burst entries). There are exceptions to this rule, but they are called out specifically in the effect’s description...
    I have seen numerous places say that the strength damage from Enfeebling should apply even against critical-immune enemies but have never seen them cite any single rule or passage as to why.

This section of the FAQ (and almost common sense, which as we know has no place in D&D rulings sometimes) seems to heavily suggest otherwise.

Now, obviously on to the question: Does the strength damage from enfeebling apply to critical hits rolled against enemies immune to critical hits?

26. - Top - End - #1706
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu63 View Post
    A 845
    Divine casters have to prepare all of their spells in one go. As your quotes say, your "mind is considered fresh only during his or her first daily spell preparation". Slots left open can't be filled after the fact, so don't leave any open.
    The problem is there are no rules for what "considered fresh" means. The part of the sentence that you did not quote goes "so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a slot that is empty because he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a previously prepared spell". Not preparing a spell in a spell slot is neither of those two reasons why a slot cannot be filled later.

27. - Top - End - #1707
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 851

The confusion stems from a single weapon special ability (flaming burst) and this passage from page 222 of Dungeon Master's Guide:
    Magic Weapons and Critical Hits: Some weapon qualities and some specific weapons have an extra effect on a critical hit. A flaming burst weapon, for example, does extra fire damage on a critical hit. This special effect functions against creatures not subject to critical hits, such as undead, elementals, and constructs. When fighting against such creatures, roll for critical hits as you would against humanoids or any other creature subject to critical hits. On a successful critical roll, apply the special effect, but do not multiply the weapon’s regular damage. For example, if Jozan rolls a natural 20 on his attack roll against an iron golem when using a mace of smiting, he rolls again. If he rolls high enough to hit the iron golem’s AC, then he does not apply double damage. Instead, he destroys the construct outright.
    As the above passage states, some weapon qualities trigger on a critical hit even against critical-immune targets. The confusion arises from the two examples given: the Mace of Smiting description specifically calls out its ability to damage Constructs (who are normally immune to criticals) on a critical hit; the flaming burst ability does not specify such an override. The DMG Errata file does not correct this problem.

Magic Item Compendium provides examples of weapon properties which function against critical-immune enemies. Here's one (desiccating burst):
    (This effect activates even if the target is not normally vulnerable to extra damage from critical hits.)
    After that long explanation, the short answer regarding enfeebling is: without a specific override as in the above example, this weapon property follows the standard rules ─ meaning if a target is immune to critical hits, enfeebling does nothing.

28. - Top - End - #1708

RangerGuy

Q852

Is there a spell that functions like anti-life shell, but works on undead? In other words, undead cannot enter the affected area, with no save allowed.

29. - Top - End - #1709

HalflingPirate

Q853: Do Starmantle Cloak (or Starmantle Spell, or the Starmantle ability) from BoED and the Evasion ability (be it class or magically granted) stack?

Meaning if my Rogue 2/Fighter 15 were to wear the cloak, be attacked by a Blackguard with a +2 Unholy mace, and make the DC 15 save for half damage, does he in fact take no damage?

Q854: What happens to the unarmed/natural attacks for something that attacks a wearer of the Starmantle line of abilities?
    The starmantle renders the wearer impervious to nonmagical weapon attacks and transforms any nonmagical weapon or missile that strikes it into harmless light, destroying it forever.
    Are a Monks hands/feet/head/elbow destroyed forever? A tiger's fangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    The bigger the naga, though, the more chance of a reversal. Some fights, you'll Power Attack with your Naga. Some fights, the Naga will Power Attack with you.

“Parley” is the French word for “everyone else is flat-footed and bare-handed”.

30. - Top - End - #1710
    Ettin in the Playground

A 854

Natural attack (and the appendages used for them) are not weapons or missiles. So they are not destroyed.

A Monk's unarmed strike is only "treated both as a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either manufactured weapons or natural weapons." Being transformed into harmless light and destroyed would hardly be an enhancement.