New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 60 of 91 FirstFirst ... 103550515253545556575859606162636465666768697085 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,800 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1771
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Re: 894

If you put GMW onto a weapon which is already magical, the enhancement bonuses do not stack. You get whichever is better. This happens regardless of what other special properties the weapon is enchanted with.

So, yes, this can temporarily result in a weapon which is impossible to create permanently without using the epic crafting rules.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

2. - Top - End - #1772
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 895

You can extend the Summon Monster Spells, but you can't persist them, right?

3. - Top - End - #1773
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A895
    Correct.
    SM has Range: Close, which is neither "personal", nor a "fixed range", so no persisting here

4. - Top - End - #1774
    Barbarian in the Playground

Post Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 896

A roper has a reach of 50 ft. with its strand attacks. Are spaces within this area considered threatened? Can a roper shoot out strands to make attacks of opportunity?

5. - Top - End - #1775
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 896

No.

An attack of opportunity is always done with a melee attack. The roper's strands are ranged touch attacks. Ropers only threaten an AoO with their bite.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

6. - Top - End - #1776
    Troll in the Playground

Q 897

If one does not have a high enough ability score to cast spells of a level that they would be entitled to (think an 8th level sorceror with a Charisma of 13), can he use those slots for other purposes (such as fueling feats, like Blue Dragon Lineage or Arcane Strike)?

Q 898

If a character gets access to a bonus feat and it doesn't specify that they may ignore the prerequisites, does it default to (and you must qualify for the feat)? I'm nearly positive that you must qualify unless is specifies otherwise, but it would be excellent to get some confirmation here.

7. - Top - End - #1777

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Q 897

If one does not have a high enough ability score to cast spells of a level that they would be entitled to (think an 8th level sorceror with a Charisma of 13), can he use those slots for other purposes (such as fueling feats, like Blue Dragon Lineage or Arcane Strike)?

Q 898

If a character gets access to a bonus feat and it doesn't specify that they may ignore the prerequisites, does it default to (and you must qualify for the feat)? I'm nearly positive that you must qualify unless is specifies otherwise, but it would be excellent to get some confirmation here.

A 897: As far as I know, there is no specific ruling regarding this. As such, we need to extrapolate (the following is based off of the entry in the Sorcerer class description; other class descriptions might differ).

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    To learn or cast a spell, a sorcerer must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level.

[...]

Like other spellcasters, a sorcerer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day.
    From these, it seems that you would, in fact, still have the spell slots and be able to use them, you just can't learn or cast spells of the proper level. If the ability requires giving up a spell, then that's a bit less clear (probably no), but if it requires the slot, then you could do that.

A 898: Unfortunately, this is a case of the exception proving the rule. Since bonus feats that allow you to ignore their prerequisites (such as combat style feats granted by the ranger) explicitly mention this, you must meet the prerequities for all other feats, including bonus feats if it doesn't say you can ignore the prerequisite (I believe, but don't quote me on this, that racial feats are an exception).
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

8. - Top - End - #1778
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    Q 897

A 897

I am not familiar with the feats you mention, but since you are, I would ask you whether the rules for these feats stipulate – or whether you believe – that these feats really require high Charisma, or only experience beyond the 7th level. That's the main issue.

In any event, even as a sorcerer with only a 13 Charisma, you still add one 3rd-level spell slot as you advance to the 8th level, and you add another 3rd-level slot at the 9th level. You certainly can use these two spell slots as "fuel," unless the feats that you mention specifically require spell slots of the 4th spell level or higher.

I don't believe mere experience gives you "empty spell slots" that you can use for purposes other than casting spells even if you lack the ability to learn these spells. A spell slot represents the power to cast a spell of a certain level. The slot isn't something separate from the spell, like a shoe box that you can purchase empty if you can't afford to buy the pair of shoes it contains. If you don't gain the power to cast a spell, then I believe you don't gain anything that you can use for any other purpose. For example, if you're an 8th-level sorcerer with a Charisma of 13, I don't believe you can cast a 3rd-level spell with the Silent Spell feat, using an empty 4th-level spell slot to do so.

If you find all this reasoning unhelpful, ignore it. The really important thing, since you are talking about feats and not spells, is whether you believe these feats require Charisma plus experience (as casting a 4th-level sorcerer spell does) or experience alone.

I welcome corrections and criticisms. (I'm still quite a newby here.)

9. - Top - End - #1779
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q899

Can a Human with the Spellwarped template be Charmed by the Charm Person Spell even though he's of the Aberration type/Augmented Humanoid Subtype?

10. - Top - End - #1780
    Banned

Q900

If a wizard uses the Domain Granted Power ACF from Complete Champion to gain the Death Domain power:

Granted Power: You may use a death touch once per day. Your
    death touch is a supernatural ability that produces a death effect.
    You must succeed on a melee touch attack against a living creature
    (using the rules for touch spells). When you touch, roll 1d6 per
    cleric level you possess. If the total at least equals the creature’s
    current hit points, it dies (no save).
    ...can he substitute his wizard level?

11. - Top - End - #1781
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 900

No, by RAW.

12. - Top - End - #1782
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A899 No. Augmented creatures are only of their new type, the subtype only defines their features (as in looks).

An example can be obtained from familiars, which are Magical Beast (Augmented Animal) (cf. Augmented in the Glossary).
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB, Familiars
    ...it is treated as a magical beast instead of an animal for the purpose of any effect that depends on its type.

13. - Top - End - #1783
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Q901

Does the metamagic chain spell requires you to make a ranged touch attack for all secondary targets or the they are auto-hit as long as you have successfully range touched the primary target?

14. - Top - End - #1784
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 900

No, by RAW.
    Welp, that kills several other domains you could otherwise choose. But it's probably the right decision because of the Magic domain, which turns every 2 cleric levels into an effective wizard level for magic item purposes, which means that you could be a Wizard 30 with a staff pre-epic.

15. - Top - End - #1785
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 901

Excepting the halved damage (and automatic Reflex save even if the primary spell doesn't have that), the secondary targets from Chain Spell are affected the same way the primary target normally is. If the primary target requires a ranged touch attack, the secondary targets have the same requirement.

16. - Top - End - #1786
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Q902: Buffs like Nerveskitter that last for one round mean that your initiative drops on round #2? Doesnt initiative also drop if you get dmg dmg/drain etc?

17. - Top - End - #1787

NecromancerGirl

A902

You roll once per combat for initiative,and that check applies for all the rounds of the combat.It doesn't change due to ability damage/boost.

Q903

Can you take a single racial substitution level,while skipping all the rest?Or are you obligated to choose the substitution levels over the normal ones as long as you remain on that class?
    Last edited by Endelehia; 2012-09-15 at 10:10 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1788
    Ettin in the Playground

A 903

You can take as many or as few racial substitution levels as you like. You just have to be at the appropriate (regular) class level to take a substitution. Regardless whether you took previous substitution levels you will get the benefits of the one appropriate to your level.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-09-15 at 11:49 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1789
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q904

If not used as a weapon, a Metamagic Rod on your belt would take a move action to retrieve with a AoO? If used as a Weapon, move action and would draw and not get a AoO? Explain how a Metamagic Rod is drawn via RAW? Thanks!
    Last edited by Silvanoshei; 2012-09-15 at 12:02 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1790
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A 897, Correction

You gain the higher level slots even if you can't cast spells of that level.

Link
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

21. - Top - End - #1791

Q905

When you use the withdraw maneuver can you move through an enemy while withdrawing?

22. - Top - End - #1792
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Dude_Here View Post
    Q905

When you use the withdraw maneuver can you move through an enemy while withdrawing?
    A905

PH p.143
    If, during the process of withdrawing, you move out of a threatened square (other than the one you started in), enemies get AoO as normal.
    No, but if it's in the square you started in, yes.
    Last edited by Silvanoshei; 2012-09-15 at 01:45 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1793
    Orc in the Playground

Default Entangle - Stand from prone

I played in a session last night and came across a situation that I couldn't find a definitive answer for. We came across 10 gnolls who surprised us and shot the party with light crossbows. My druid cast the entangle spell, 8 of the 10 gnolls failed their reflex save and were entangled. The druid's animal companion (a riding dog) attacked an entangled gnoll and successfully hit, damaged, and tripped the gnoll. The gnoll fell prone due to the trip.

On the gnoll's turn the prone gnoll stands up. This brings us to my first question. Can the gnoll stand up from prone (a move equivalent action). RAW would state he can't actually move, but what about move equivalent actions?

My understanding of the entangle spell is that if you fail your save you are entangled and unable to move. I got this by careful reading of the entangle spell and the entangled condition. However is says nothing about move equivalent actions.

The DM (clamming artistic license) allowed the gnoll to stand up, riding dog took attack of opportunity (missed), and the gnoll failed to successfully attack the dog.

The other 9 gnolls reloaded their light crossbows and fired at the party. This brings me to my second (but almost identical question). Can you reload a light crossbow (a move equivalent action) while entangled?

Once again the DM allowed the gnolls to fire & reload. However the entangle spell is quite brutal, -4 DEX and -2 attack plus the -4 for firing into melee for a total of -8 on their light crossbow attack. All the gnolls missed.

So in general can you take a move equivalent action when you can't move? What about opening a door or retrieving an item from your backpack, pick up a weapon, draw a weapon, etc?

24. - Top - End - #1794
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 906

Can you take weapon focus with an improvised weapon?
    If you need me somewhere, don't hesitate to PM me. I have bad mental health days sometimes, so if I vanish that's probably why. PMs will help break me out of that.
    ~~~~~
    Games I'm Running:
    Digimon: Recollections (OoC)
    Fate/Grand Order: Chaldean Irregulars (OoC)
    ~~~~~
    Kyoko-atar by Coronalwave

25. - Top - End - #1795

OrcBarbarianGuy

Q 907

You can trade a standard action for a move action, essentially "downgrading" your action. Are you allowed to downgrade your move action (what is essentially 3 seconds) into a swift action, even if you have used a swift/immediate action already?

The reason being is that if a swift action takes a paltry amount of time, why could I not use my move action which does NOT take a paltry amount of time to do another swift? Is there a rule that covers the downgrading of actions?

26. - Top - End - #1796
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 904

If your DM deems that a metamagic rod is not also usable as a weapon, retrieving one would follow the "Retrieve a stored item" rules, and would provoke attacks of opportunity when you used a move action to retrieve it. If your DM decides that a metamagic rod can be used as a weapon, you could draw one as a move action (or as a free action in combination with moving your speed or less), and this would not provoke attacks of opportunity. The difference is entirely from whether the rod is in the "weapon" or "stored item" category, because weapons are treated differently than other items in the D&D combat rules.
    Physical Description

Rods weigh approximately 5 pounds.

They range from 2 feet to 3 feet long and are usually made of iron or some other metal. (Many, as noted in their descriptions, can function as light maces or clubs due to their sturdy construction.)
    There is no construction information in the Dungeon Master's Guide for metamagic rods, so each individual DM gets to decide if metamagic rods can also be used as weapons ─ or not.

A 907 No.

There is a strict limit of 1 swift action per turn, and there is no substitution allowed to turn any other action into a swift action.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-09-15 at 05:20 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1797
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q908

Does the item "Quill of Scribing" (Complete Mage) which allows a person with scribe scroll to auto scribe a scroll "As if crafting himself" while sleeping / drinking in a pub.

Allow said caster to craft more then one item at a time (Which is the standard max on crafting as far as I know) so craft a wondrous item while also scribing a scroll.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

The First Rule of Thesaurus Club is: You do not Talk, converse, chat, speak, gossip, chatter, natter, utter, discuss, confer, reason, deliberate, consult, parley, lecture, sermon about Thesaurus Club!

28. - Top - End - #1798
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 842

Does a were octopus retain its extra limbs in hybrid form?
    Reposting my question since it was never answered .

29. - Top - End - #1799
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sponson View Post
    Q 907
    The reason being is that if a swift action takes a paltry amount of time, why could I not use my move action which does NOT take a paltry amount of time to do another swift? Is there a rule that covers the downgrading of actions?
    The later books introduced a LOT of things you can do only with swift actions, and it seems as though the hard limit of one swift action a turn was considered important enough as a balancing factor that they didn't want to risk anyone doing 2-3 swifts in a turn, not even at the cost of "better" actions, because swifts can do many things those "better" actions cannot. Among other things, there are probably many situations where you might give up your next swift action to use an immediate, then decide based on the situation at the time to use your move action to take a swift action anyway....exactly how broken this could be I don't know, but presumably the writers didn't want to risk it.

30. - Top - End - #1800
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 908 No.

From the item description:
    Treat this just as if you were scribing it, including gp cost, XP cost, time, and all other construction requirements.
    That includes the basic limitation on crafting any magic items:
    The caster works for 8 hours each day. He cannot rush the process by working longer each day. But the days need not be consecutive, and the caster can use the rest of his time as he sees fit.

A character can work on only one item at a time. If a character starts work on a new item, all materials used and XP spent on the under-construction item are wasted.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-09-15 at 08:57 PM.