New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 62 of 91 FirstFirst ... 123752535455565758596061626364656667686970717287 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1831
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 920

Can a Dread Necromancer use its Charnel Touch ability in conjuction with the free attack given by casting Inflict Light Wounds?

Q 921

Are there any sources of extraordinary ability Teleportation?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

2. - Top - End - #1832
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    Q 921

Are there any sources of extraordinary ability Teleportation?
    A 921

Shadow Hand maneuvers from Tome of Battle include Shadow Jaunt (50ft standard action teleport), Shadow Stride (50ft move action teleport), and Shadow Blink (50ft swift action teleport), none of which have the Supernatural descriptor, thus default to Extraordinary.
    Last edited by Aegis013; 2012-09-19 at 11:52 AM.

3. - Top - End - #1833
    Troll in the Playground

Q 922

Edit: nevermind, I found the answer.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2012-09-19 at 03:18 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1834
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q923

What happens if a lich with intact phylactery dies to backlash damage from his own epic spell?

5. - Top - End - #1835
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q924
    Can the unarmored Wis AC bonus from Monk stack with the unarmored Con bonus from the Fist of the Forest class?

6. - Top - End - #1836
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 924

Yes. Both are unnamed bonuses and quite obviously from different sources.

7. - Top - End - #1837
    Banned

Q 925
    If you use a polymorph ability or spell or whatever that says you don't gain Special Attacks of the assumed form, do you gain the Poison special attack?
    Last edited by Darius Kane; 2012-09-19 at 04:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1838
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A 925

Yes.You gain the extraordinary special attacks of the creature (such as constrict, improved grab, and poison). It is on the spell description.

9. - Top - End - #1839
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 925 926 (whoops, thanks Darius Kane)
    The Monk's Belt (or Belt, Monk's as sorted in the DMG) states that the wearer benefits from the monk's AC bonus, as if he were five levels above his current level. Does this mean a non-monk only gets +1 AC from the AC bonus table, or does he also benefit from the "AC bonus" class feature of the monk as well? (The one that adds Wis to AC if he's not wearing armor)
    Last edited by Arkusus; 2012-09-19 at 04:30 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1840
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Endelehia View Post
    A 925

Yes.You gain the extraordinary special attacks of the creature (such as constrict, improved grab, and poison). It is on the spell description.
    Please, read my post again. you missed an important detail.

@ Arkusus
    You made a typo, your question is number 926.
    Last edited by Darius Kane; 2012-09-19 at 04:23 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1841
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 924 [correction]

The source in both cases is AC Bonus, a named class ability. Here's an example from Dungeon Master's Guide on page 178 of the use of source:
    Sneak Attack: This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th). If an arcane trickster gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as rogue levels), the bonuses on damage stack.
    Sneak Attack (the named class ability) is the source of the bonus damage in both cases, and normally would overlap rather than stack. The last line of the quote provides an exception to this normal stacking limit.

Similar examples may be found on DMG pages 180 and 182. An ability modifier is never a "source" in the D&D rules.

A 926
    Quote Originally Posted by Belt, Monk's
    This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.
    "Just like" has no exceptions. You must add both the listed +1 and the character's WIS bonus, and lose both bonuses if armored or encumbered.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-09-19 at 04:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1842
    Ettin in the Playground

A 926

Quote Originally Posted by DMG p. 248
    If the character is not a monk, she gains the AC and unarmed damage of a 5th-level monk. This AC bonus functions just like the monk’s AC bonus.
    This means +1 +WIS AC and 1D8 Unarmed damage (unless the creature's size is not medium)

Drat, swordsaged and corrected. You are right of course, I thought they were named differently.

Re: Q 925

Which polymorph spell/ability functions differently from the polymorph spell and does not grant special attacks?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-09-19 at 04:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1843
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 927
    Does the Ascetic Mage ability's option to use Charisma instead of Wisdom for AC apply passively? Or does that effect only last the single round that the other bonuses are stated to last?

Q 927b
    Would the Ascetic Mage cha/wis swap also work with the Swordsage's Wisdom bonus while wearing light armor? (regardless of duration)

14. - Top - End - #1844
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Re: Q 925

Which polymorph spell/ability functions differently from the polymorph spell and does not grant special attacks?
    Alter Self.
    Last edited by Darius Kane; 2012-09-19 at 05:07 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1845

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    Alter Self.
    Re: A 925

In case of the Alter Self,it specifies that you get the physical qualities mentioned in the spell description.Poison is a special attack of the extraordinary type and thus you don't gain it.

16. - Top - End - #1846
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Endelehia View Post
    Re: A 925

In case of the Alter Self,it specifies that you get the physical qualities mentioned in the spell description.Poison is a special attack of the extraordinary type and thus you don't gain it.
    What about abilities that simply say that you don't gain special attacks?

17. - Top - End - #1847
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Q 928

Do SLAs that mimic spells take standard actions to use or do they take the same amount of time that the associated spell would take? (Ex: An SLA at-will to use Summon Monster I which takes 1 round to cast as a spell.)

18. - Top - End - #1848
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 929

SRD
    Independent Research

A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one.

What is researching a spell independently? I-e does that mean that I can learn a spell let's say in a library, on a glyph wall etc?
    (yes or no question)
    Any other official guidelines for that?)
    Great avatar made by Tiffanie Lirle
    If you don't see me... you're already dead...
    Toothpick Sneak Attack!!

Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.easydamus.com/character.html
    You Are A:
    Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

Me chaotic? wtf? lol

19. - Top - End - #1849
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 927

This quote
    If you would normally be allowed to add your Wisdom bonus to AC (such as for a unarmored, unencumbered monk), you instead add your Charisma bonus (if any) to your AC.
    is in a different paragraph from the swift action benefit of Ascetic Mage; it is always active.

A 927b Yes.

The benefit does not specify the Monk capability except as an example.

20. - Top - End - #1850

Quote Originally Posted by Laharal View Post
    Q 929

SRD
    Independent Research

A wizard also can research a spell independently, duplicating an existing spell or creating an entirely new one.

What is researching a spell independently? I-e does that mean that I can learn a spell let's say in a library, on a glyph wall etc?
    (yes or no question)
    Any other official guidelines for that?)
    A 929: There is a process (I think it's described in the DMG, but I'm tired and I don't have it on hand to check) through which you can design your own spell. It requires research time, has a cost, and also takes a spellcraft check, if I recall correctly.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

21. - Top - End - #1851
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

A 929

Here is the relevant passage, from page 42 of my DM's Guide (which may be a little old now):

"Researching Original Spells

A spellcaster of any type can create a new spell. This research requires access to a well-stocked library, typically in a large city or metropolis. Research requires an expenditure of 1,000 gp per week and takes one week per level of the spell. This money goes into fees, consultants, material component experimentation, and other miscellaneous expenditures. At the end of that time, the character makes a Spellcraft check (DC 10 + spell level). If that roll succeeds, the character learns the new spell if her research produced a viable spell. If the roll fails, the character must go through the research process again if she wants to keep trying."

The following paragraph makes clear that the DM has the absolute power to decide whether your new spell is or is not viable. (Presumably, the DM determines its spell level as well.) It also advises the DM not even to let you know whether a spell is viable until after you have already spent all that time and money. So if I were you, I would talk to your DM and try to get all the advice you can about what kind of a spell is likely to be viable before you make the decision to try to create a new one through research.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2012-09-19 at 10:04 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1852
    Ettin in the Playground

Q930
    When calculating damage, is the penalty for low Strength added before or after any bonus dice (e.g., precision damage) are?

E.g., a Tiny scout who does 1d2 weapon damage, has a -3 Strength penalty, and gets 2d6 Skirmish damage: would this be 1d2+2d6-3, or 1+2d6?

23. - Top - End - #1853
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 930
    Minimum Damage

If penalties reduce the damage result to less than 1, a hit still deals 1 point of damage.
    This is an absolute statement, so you only figure in minimum damage after adding all modifiers (bonuses and penalties).

24. - Top - End - #1854

Q 931
    I was wondering how the Beguiler class (Player Handbook II) interacts with prestige classes that increase the power of a spontaneous caster. I’ll use Exalted Arcanist from the Book of Exalted Deeds in the examples below as it covers both cases.

Considering that a Beguiler’s specific spell list corresponds to her spell known (she automatically knows every spell of the list of a level she can cast):

931 A
    What happens when a prestige class or feat adds new spells to the spell list (like the Exalted Spell List feature of the Exalted Arcanist)? Are they automatically known for a Beguiler?

931 B
    What happens when a prestige class adds new spells known to be picked in the normal spell list (like the Spell Knowledge feature of the Exalted Arcanist)? A Beguiler already knows every spell of her spell list. Would this be treated like the Advanced Learning feature of the Beguiler class?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #1855

BardGuy

Hey, isn't anybody intrigued by Q 919, or should I take it elsewhere? It's on page 61 of this thread now.

26. - Top - End - #1856
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 919

I'm pretty sure that you would be out of range in most cases when using scrying on a creature with a gaze attack. Also, I believe the following line from the description of gaze attacks would apply to scrying:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD - Gaze Attacks
    Looking at the creature’s image (such as in a mirror or as part of an illusion) does not subject the viewer to a gaze attack.
    source: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...tm#gazeAttacks

NOTE: Sometimes a question gets missed, especially when it's at the end of a page. If a couple of days pass without any answers, go ahead and repost it. If it's too complex a question for "simple" Q&A, somebody will suggest starting a new thread to find an answer.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2012-09-20 at 07:35 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

27. - Top - End - #1857

NecromancerGirl

A 919

That's a tricky one.The answer lies on the phb description of spell schools.Under divination there is a special mention on scrying spells.
    A scrying spell creates an invisible magical sensor that sends you information.However, the sensor is treated as a separate, independent sensory organ of yours, and thus it functions normally even if you have been blinded, deafened, or otherwise suffered sensory impairment.

You are not actually "seeing" your target,thus you are not subject to a gaze attack.

28. - Top - End - #1858

Q 932

The Warrior Skald prestige class (Races of Faerun, p. 186) requires "Perform (poetry, any others) 9 ranks." Does that mean:
    -Perform ranks totaling 9, including at least one rank in Perform (poetry)?
    -9 ranks Perform (poetry), but you can have other Perform skills too (i.e., it's the same thing as just Perform (poetry) 9 ranks)?
    -Perform (any) 9 ranks, and at least 1 rank in Perform (poetry)?
    -Something else?

This affects how early you can enter the class.

29. - Top - End - #1859
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 932

You are required to have 9 ranks in Perform (poetry) and 9 ranks total in any other Perform skill(s); that conforms to the skills grouping convention used elsewhere in the RAW*. The class introduction and description of the first special ability seems to confirm this meaning.
    Most warrior skalds were once bards...

Bardic Music: At 1st level, the warrior skald gains the bardic music ability if she did not already have it from a previous class. ...
    Additionally, all the bardic music effects, including countersong, can be produced with poetry rather than music.
    I think the goal was to make the prestige class suitable for standard Bardic Music (an easy requirement for an existing Bard) with Perform (any others) 9 ranks and match it with a new requirement for Perform (poetry) 9 ranks specific to the design of the Warrior Skald PrC.

* This matches the Dragonmark Heir PrC (Eberron Campaign Setting, page 73) with "Skills: 7 ranks in any two skills." The example Dragonmark Heir character has 4 class levels before entry (necessary to have 7 ranks in each class skill) and at least two base class skills above 7 ranks each. Thus the parenthetical grouping for Warrior Skald is used to replicate the ranks requirement for each listed skill, rather than grouping all allowed skills with a single total rank requirement.

30. - Top - End - #1860
    Ogre in the Playground

Q933 How many bonus spells would a wizard with 53 int get? How would you calculate the amount of bonus spells for high int scores?

Q934 Do monstrous hit dice give you a bonus to ability scores every 4 levels like player levels do? Is this bonus already included in the stat-block?