New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 64 of 91 FirstFirst ... 143954555657585960616263646566676869707172737489 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1891
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 951

When you start a grapple, do you have to drop your weapons?

2. - Top - End - #1892
    Banned

re: A950: That's what I thought, I was just covering my bases.

A952: No, you can still hold the weapons, and you can even use Light ones to attack the opponent you're grappling with. Figure you're grappling with your arms and body as much as your hands; it's not a big deal if you still have, say, a halberd gripped in one fist (you need two hands to wield it, not necessarily just to hold it) while the arm attached to that fist is wrapped around your opponent's neck.

3. - Top - End - #1893
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 952

What's the rules on Throwing and damaging characters? I know of Awesome Blow and Snatch in the MM.... but those are specific feats?

4. - Top - End - #1894
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Q 953

For spells such as Daylight that say you can use it on an object. Is there any size limitation on what size the object has to be?
    "I firmly believe that any man's finest hour is that moment when they have worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of the battle... victorius."- Vince Lombardi

"Hey, I don't make the rules, I just twist them to my purpose." -Celia (Order Of The Stick)

5. - Top - End - #1895
    Titan in the Playground

Q 868

If I have the Cloudy Conjuration feat (page 40 of Complete Mage) and cast a Conjuration spell that targets an area (e.g.- Glitterdust), can I place the Cloudy Conjuration cloud on or adjacent to the target area of the spell?
    Bumping question.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #1896

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanoshei View Post
    Q 952

What's the rules on Throwing and damaging characters? I know of Awesome Blow and Snatch in the MM.... but those are specific feats?
    Q 952: If you don't want Awesome Blow and Snatch because they're specific feats, I don't know how you'll like this answer. That said, there are some maneuvers from the Setting Sun school in Tome of Battle that involve tossing people and doing damage.

There's also the rules for improvised weapons, for figuring out how much damage a character used as a weapon would be. They break if you roll a 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Roto View Post
    Q 953

For spells such as Daylight that say you can use it on an object. Is there any size limitation on what size the object has to be?
    A 953: If the spell says there's a limit, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Bumping question.
    The cloud can appear in your space, adjacent to you, or in the space of or adjacent to your target (if any).
    A 868: Glitterdust has no target, so you'd be limited to having appear in your space or adjacent to you. The same happens for any spell without a target.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2012-09-23 at 04:09 PM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

7. - Top - End - #1897
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 952

Absent specific feats or class abilities it's very difficult to throw another character. First the character must be light enough to be comparable to an improvised weapon for your size. Next they would have to be "in hand". Normally that would be established simply by grappling with them, but throwing (anything) isn't one of the actions allowed when you're just grappling, and escaping from a grapple first requires you to win an opposed grapple check, then you move out of the opponent's square so you would no longer have them in hand. However if you've pinned your opponent in a grapple you can release them as a free action and are no longer considered grappling, but the rules don't specify that you move out of their square. Your DM might allow throwing the pinned character using an attack action as you release them, following the improvised weapon rules.

Thrown weapons (those not considered ammunition) never take damage when you attack, so you could not damage the other character by throwing them.

Re: A 953

While there is no size limit for an affected object, every spell is centered on a grid intersection. If cast on a movable target (creature or object) the caster picks one of the grid intersections that the target touches, and the center of the spell effect moves as the creature or object moves. You do not get a bigger spell area when you cast the spell on a bigger target.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-09-23 at 04:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1898
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q954:

How do form altering spells like Alter Self, Polymorph, Polymorph Any Object, and Shapechange stack? If you cast Shapechange and turn into something, and then cast Polymorph upon yourself, does your exterior form change?

If not (say because the level 4 Polymorph spell will not override the level 9 Shapechange), then does the answer change if you Heighten Polymorph to be level 9 and/or temporarily increase your caster level so Polymorph is cast at a higher caster level than Shapechange?

If so (say because the latest spell cast wins), then do you still have the (Ex/Su) abilities of the Shapechange form, but the body and physical stats provided by Polymorph? Does that mean with all four spells you can Shapechange into something with powerful (Su) abilities, Polymorph Any Object into something with high INT, Polymorph into something with high physical stats, and finally Alter Self into your original body, while still having the (Su) abilities, high INT, and high physical stats from the other three creatures?

9. - Top - End - #1899
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 954 They don't.

This is covered on page 172 of Player's Handbook:
    One Effect Makes Another Irrelevant: Sometimes, one spell can render a later spell irrelevant. For example, if a wizard is using a shapechange spell to take the shape of an eagle, a polymorph spell could change her into a goldfish. The shapechange spell is not negated, however, and since the polymorph spell has no effect on the recipient’s special abilities, the wizard could use the shapechange effect to take any form the spell allows whenever she desires.
    The last spell either is irrelevant and has no effect (as Alter Self would if you had changed to something other than your normal type) or overrides all previous effects and makes those other spell(s) irrelevant. There is no stacking.

10. - Top - End - #1900

Q955: If a creature gains a template that says, "Same as base creature, plus creature can fly with speed 60 ft. and perfect maneuverability" but the creature has a higher fly speed with lower maneuverability, what happens?

11. - Top - End - #1901
    Ettin in the Playground

A 955

It can either fly with 60ft and perfect maneuverability or faster with lower maneuverability, unless there is a specific mention what happens if the base creature has a higher fly speed.

12. - Top - End - #1902
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q956Would casting Ray of Enfeeblement when you are in someones threatened area provoke an attack of opportunity?

Q957Also is there any way for a wizard to dispell frenzy(you know, so if an engagement is over you don't start attacking the party members)?
    Last edited by Origomar; 2012-09-24 at 01:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1903
    Titan in the Playground

Q958

A quick question (IMO the answer should be “yes”, but since we’re here…). If I’m blinking, and I’ve got an animated shield, does the shield blink with me?
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

14. - Top - End - #1904

Quote Originally Posted by Origomar View Post
    Q956Would casting Ray of Enfeeblement when you are in someones threatened area provoke an attack of opportunity?

Q957Also is there any way for a wizard to dispell frenzy(you know, so if an engagement is over you don't start attacking the party members)?
    A 956: Yes.

A 957: Unless Frenzied Berserkers are immune to it (which may be possible, I don't have the time to check right now), Calm Emotions should work.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

15. - Top - End - #1905
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Fiddler View Post
    A 957: Unless Frenzied Berserkers are immune to it (which may be possible, I don't have the time to check right now), Calm Emotions should work.
    Calm emotions is a bard and clerical spell, while the question was wizard-related.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

16. - Top - End - #1906
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 958

Do you have to wield a shield (or a weapon in case of feats like Two-Weapon Defense) to use the Shield Block maneuver from Tome of Battle?

17. - Top - End - #1907
    Banned

Q959
    The Stingray Whip from Stormwrack is a melee weapon, but lists a Range Increment of 10 feet. Is it akin to a normal whip in that it can attack any square in its range, unlike a normal reach weapon? Does it ever threaten any squares, unlike a normal whip? (The description compares it to a riding crop, and I certainly imagine that someone wielding one of those would threaten adjacent squares, though the 10-foot reach makes it dubious; it makes sense that a normal whip, when not actively wielded, lies limp on the ground and can't easily be brought up for an AoO, but with the Stingray it isn't clear which end of that spectrum it's closer to.) Also, does using it provoke an AoO as with a normal whip (or any ranged weapon)?

Q960
    Is there a Magical Beast with exactly two heads?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-24 at 07:13 AM.

18. - Top - End - #1908
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A958 No.
    Note however, that the Maneuver grants your shield's AC bonus +4 and NOT your shield bonus to AC +4, so without a shield you only grant +4 AC to someone.

A959
    As it is written, it is not a reach weapon, but a weapon that can be thrown with a range increment of 10 ft.
    Reach weapons (usually) have a superscript at their name (4 in PHB) and NOrange increment. It is also mentioned in the descriptive text. The Stingray whip has none of these

19. - Top - End - #1909
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MrLemon View Post
    A959
    As it is written, it is not a reach weapon, but a weapon that can be thrown with a range increment of 10 ft.
    Ah, that makes a bit more sense actually. Dunno why that didn't occur to me.

Q961
    The Eel in Stormwrack lists a Swim check of +9, with its Strength bonus of +1 and no skill points (the 5 skill points a 2-HD animal gets are placed into Spot and Listen as is typical for 1-INT creatures). But in the Skills text, the Eel (like most aquatic creatures) is listed as having a "+8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform a special action or avoid a hazard." Shouldn't that be different from having a flat +8 bonus to all Swim checks, even for a creature which has a swim speed?

Q962
    Does a Familiar ever gain actual HD after bonding with a wizard or sorcerer? Do their own skills improve in any way, or do they just live off the skills (and HP) gained through their master? What if the master dies; does the familiar keep those skills (and saves), or revert to a normal animal, or die with the master?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-09-24 at 08:21 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1910
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 961

A creature with a swim speed normally doesn't need to make Swim checks just to swim around. The only time they use their Swim skill is for doing special tricks and avoiding hazards or rough weather conditions.

A 962

A familiar only gains virtual Hit Dice in accordance to their master's level. Their own BAB, base Saves, and skill ranks never improve, nor do they gain additional feats. Instead, they're allowed to substitute those values with those of the master.

I'm not sure if it's ever discussed in a 3.5 source, but page 12 of Tome and Blood addresses what happens to a familiar when its master dies.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

21. - Top - End - #1911
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 958.1

If I’m blinking, and I’ve got an animated shield, does the shield blink with me?
    If we accept the general rule that your gear blinks whenever you do, then yes. And I believe an animated shield is part of your gear.

Even when you don't actually hold an animated shield – or a dancing weapon – in your hand, neither item can wander beyond your reach. Moreover, according to the description of the "dancing" magic weapon type, "it is considered wielded or attended by the creature [i. e. the one who activated it] for all maneuvers and effects that target items." If you "attend" a dancing weapon when it fights for you without being handled by you, then I believe you also "attend" an animated shield when it protects you without being held by you. Consequently, an animated shield activated by you is part of your gear, and the Blink spell should affect it as well as any other part of your gear.

Since an animated shield that blinks with you turns ethereal or material whenever you do, it should protect you normally all the time, with no failure chance.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2012-09-24 at 09:18 AM.

22. - Top - End - #1912
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q960
    Is there a Magical Beast with exactly two heads?
    A960

Google turned up a Two-Headed Winter Worg. It's from Pathfinder, I guess.
    Last edited by trollburgers; 2012-09-24 at 01:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1913
    Titan in the Playground

Q 963

If I have two claw attacks and a two-handed weapon, can I make any secondary claw attacks after my weapon attacks?

Q 964

If I have two claw attacks and a Gnome Quickrazor, can I make any secondary claw attacks after my weapon attacks (assuming I sheathe the quickrazor after each attack with it)?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

24. - Top - End - #1914
    Ettin in the Playground

A 963

No your hands (on which the claws are) are full. Now if the claws were on a different set of hands...

A 964

Yes.

25. - Top - End - #1915
    Ettin in the Playground

A 963

No your hands (on which the claws are) are full. Now if the claws were on a different set of hands...

A 964

Yes.

26. - Top - End - #1916
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 965

SRD

Writing a New Spell into a Spellbook

The process takes 24 hours, regardless of the spell’s level.
    Space in the Spellbook

Big question: does it really takes 24 hours of work ??? Or is it more or less a whole day (meaning I get up early, go to my desk, stop for supper, go to bed and wake up the next morning with a new spell and can have meaningful interactions in the meantime?)

Or do i really have to top up 24 hours of writing?
    Great avatar made by Tiffanie Lirle
    If you don't see me... you're already dead...
    Toothpick Sneak Attack!!

Spoiler
    Show
    http://www.easydamus.com/character.html
    You Are A:
    Chaotic Neutral Human Wizard (3rd Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 12
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 12
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

Me chaotic? wtf? lol

27. - Top - End - #1917
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 965

The process takes 24 hours of work. You can break this up as you like (8 hours on 3 different days, for instance).

28. - Top - End - #1918
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Baphomet View Post
    Q923

What happens if a lich with intact phylactery dies to backlash damage from his own epic spell?
    Reposting this from a few pages back.
    I need to know if a lich can make an epic spell that does maximum backlash damage without fear of dying permanently or losing a level. The relevant bit from Developing Epic Spells:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    The caster cannot somehow avoid or make him or her self immune to backlash damage. For spells with durations longer than instantaneous, the backlash damage is per round. If backlash damage kills a caster, no spell or method exists that will return life to the caster’s body without costing the caster a level—not even wish, true resurrection, miracle, or Epic spells that return life to the deceased. Spells that normally penalize the recipient one level when they return him or her to life penalize a caster killed by backlash two levels.
    Regarding a lich's phylactery:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    As a rule, the only way to get rid of a lich for sure is to destroy its phylactery. Unless its phylactery is located and destroyed, a lich reappears 1d10 days after its apparent death.
    The arguments being made are that A) a lich with an intact phylactery never truly dies and is thus not being killed by the damage as per the description, and/or B) it is being returned to unlife rather than to life, and would not be penalized a level for the same reason a zombie created from the remains of a wizard killed by backlash damage would not be penalized a level too. On the flip side of the argument, the lich's physical body does die, I think, and its memories and consciousness are the same before and after it regenerates itself so it's effectively a resurrection.

29. - Top - End - #1919
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 923

For both pieces of the RAW to be correct, the Lich must reappear 1d10 days later, and must lose a level in the process.

30. - Top - End - #1920
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trollburgers View Post
    A960

Google turned up a Two-Headed Winter Worg. It's from Pathfinder, I guess.
    Any creature could take the Multi-Headed Creature template. I'm looking for something that is naturally and inevitably two-headed, like Demogorgon or an Ettin, but with the MB creature type.