New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 65 of 91 FirstFirst ... 154055565758596061626364656667686970717273747590 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1921
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 963

No your hands (on which the claws are) are full. Now if the claws were on a different set of hands...
    Q 966 (follow-up to A 963)

What if I drop the weapon after finishing my weapon attacks?

Q 967

If I'm wielding a one-handed weapon with both hands, then are either of my hands considered free to make a claw attack after my weapon attacks?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

2. - Top - End - #1922
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q968 Is there any way for a wizard to constantly maintain concentration on an illusion spell without using standard actions from the wizard?

Q969 If I make an illusion of a creature with lots of attacks, do my foes make one will save or one per attack?

3. - Top - End - #1923
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A968

The Swift Concentration skill trick from Complete Scoundrel,allows you to concentrate on a spell as swift action.
    The Familiar Concentration feat from Lost Empires of Faerun,lets you designate your familiar as the "concentrator" and it can keep the spell up and running for you.

4. - Top - End - #1924
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A968 partial correction
    Skill Tricks usually can be used only once per encounter (or minute, if there's no encounter going on), and Swift Concentration has nothing that states otherwise

5. - Top - End - #1925
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Any creature could take the Multi-Headed Creature template. I'm looking for something that is naturally and inevitably two-headed, like Demogorgon or an Ettin, but with the MB creature type.
    Then I got nothing. Good luck.

6. - Top - End - #1926
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q960
    Is there a Magical Beast with exactly two heads?
    A960
    Found my own answer, though it's a bit lame and I'll be happy if anyone can do better - the Fiend Folio contains the Death Dog, a two-headed version of Cerberus which inflicts a nameless disease when biting, plus it has the usual free-trip-on-a-bite of wolf-type monsters. Not very exciting, but it'll do if I can find nothing better. I may have to "epicize" this creature for my purposes; having a RAW version, however boring, to at least serve as a baseline is better for my purposes than completely making something up.

7. - Top - End - #1927
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

A kobold gets the 10th level of Planar Shepherd and becomes an Outsider[Extraplanar] who is now native to Thelanis. After becoming a non-native Outsider, do the normal aging rules still apply to that creature?

8. - Top - End - #1928
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterOfJello View Post
    A kobold gets the 10th level of Planar Shepherd and becomes an Outsider[Extraplanar] who is now native to Thelanis. After becoming a non-native Outsider, do the normal aging rules still apply to that creature?
    A 970

Once you become an outsider, you would age as an outsider (i.e. no more aging).

9. - Top - End - #1929
    Ettin in the Playground

A 966

I see no reason why not.

A 967

AFAIK removing one hand from an item used with to hands has no associated action. It would be the DM's decision if and how this is possible. If the GM allows you to do this as a swift or free action, you could attack with one claw.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-09-25 at 11:32 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1930
    Banned

Q971
    If mindless creatures with an INT of -- (such as oozes and vermin) gain a template which increases Intelligence, do they become mindful, or does the nonability overwirte all bonuses? What about animals; a cat has INT 2, so is a Spellwarped Cat with 6 INT a playable character?

11. - Top - End - #1931
    Ogre in the Playground

Q971A: (Oozes) Probably.

For example, the Sentry Ooze enhances the intelligence score of all oozes by +2, which overwrites the non-ability score (this is specifically referenced within the template). There may be specific templates which boost int (or other abilities) but do not overwrite a nonability score. Check the wording of each template carefully.

This is a gray area of the rules, as oozes are, per RAW, listed having no intelligence (not int 0), but the +2 from sentry ooze grants 2 int.

Q971B: Yes.

Spellwarp grants a level adjustment of +3, so a spellwarped cat is now a LA +3 character. This, per RAW, includes a racial hit die, but this is commonly hand waved, I believe.

Please see below, clarified in Q 972. Thanks, Urpriest and Curmudgeon!
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-09-25 at 02:40 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

12. - Top - End - #1932
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post

Spellwarp grants a level adjustment of +3, so a spellwarped cat is now a LA +3 character. This, per RAW, includes a racial hit die, but this is commonly hand waved, I believe.
    If I recall correctly, all races with 1 racial HD replace that when they pick a class. So a 1HD cat could become a Spellwarped Cat Wizard 1.
    Last edited by trollburgers; 2012-09-25 at 12:51 PM.

13. - Top - End - #1933
    Titan in the Playground

Q 971B Correction:

The cat would still have LA -, since LA - with an LA +3 template is still LA -. Otherwise correct.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

14. - Top - End - #1934
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by trollburgers View Post
    If I recall correctly, all races with 1 racial HD replace that when they pick a class. So a 1HD cat could become a Spellwarped Cat Wizard 1.
    Please let us not start this debate in this thread. There are valid arguments for both sides. I apologize for bringing it up at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Q 971B Correction:

The cat would still have LA -, since LA - with an LA +3 template is still LA -. Otherwise correct.
    Discuss. I'll move to another thread if necessary.

Q 972A: If sentry ooze with +2 int means the final creature has an Int score of 2, I believe that an animal with LA - with an LA +3 means a total LA +3, following that logic. Is that correct?

Q 972B: If that is not correct, is there any template which allows animals to become legally playable characters? Remember that anthropomorphic (SS) is a template.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

15. - Top - End - #1935
    Pixie in the Playground

Please let us not start this debate in this thread. There are valid arguments for both sides. I apologize for bringing it up at all.
    Ah, I'm new to the forums. I didn't realize this was an ongoing divisive issue. In that case, I'll use my stock answer... "Check with your DM."

16. - Top - End - #1936
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 972A No.

As Urpriest stated, the "─" entry means no number is supplied because there is no formula for the creature to become playable. Adding a number to a non-number doesn't yield a numeric result, and the creature still has no formula to become playable. A rule exception specific to one creature type (the "No longer mindless" special quality of the Sentry Ooze template) has no bearing on level adjustments.

17. - Top - End - #1937
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Q 871

Other than Combat Reflexes, are there any other feats that let you make more than 1 attack of opportunity per turn, provided a certain x (where x can be stat, level, whatever) is high enough?
    A 871

Improved Combat Reflexes and Greater Combat Reflexes allow you to make iteratives (at -5 and -10 respectively, as usual) on your attacks of opportunity. Two-Weapon Attack of Opportunity allows you to also make an attack with your off-hand weapon. These feats are from Dragon Magazine #340.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

18. - Top - End - #1938
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 973

Can you use the Extreme Leap Skill Trick on a Leap Attack? Do you get the extra movement after the attack?

19. - Top - End - #1939
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q 974

Can you put Magic Missile into a Weapon of Spell Storing per RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Description of Spell Storing
    Spell Storing: A spell storing weapon allows a spellcaster to store a single targeted spell of up to 3rd level in the weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Description of Magic Missile
    Targets: Up to five creatures, no two of which can be more than 15 ft. apart
    Last edited by Silvanoshei; 2012-09-26 at 10:12 AM.

20. - Top - End - #1940
    Ettin in the Playground

A 974

Sure, why not?

21. - Top - End - #1941
    Banned

Re: A974
    You did read the quoted text, yes? It sound very much like "no" to me.

Q975
    The Black Flame Zealot prestige class lists among its prerequisites "Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Kukri"...but the Kukri is a Martial weapon isn't it? Was this just a misprint or am I missing something?

22. - Top - End - #1942
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A 974

The word "single" refers to the spell rather than the target.
    So it's meant to say:
    ...to store a single spell,that affects targets and not area/self etc...
    and no
    ...to store a spell with a single target...
    But that is RAI,by RAW it is just messed up as usual.

23. - Top - End - #1943
    Ettin in the Playground

It says single targeted spell as in a lone/sole targeted spell not a spell that affects a single target.
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-09-26 at 10:48 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1944
    Dwarf in the Playground

Question Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

RE: Q 974

Sorry, to clarify my question...
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Missile Text
    If you shoot multiple missiles, you can have them strike a single creature or several creatures.
    So, given that evidence, can you say you can use Magic Missile per RAW using the spell description, or can you only use it RAI? Because it says Targets in the quick description, does that mean RAW means no and RAI means yes?
    Last edited by Silvanoshei; 2012-09-26 at 11:12 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1945
    Ettin in the Playground

The RAW is that you can use one and only one (that's what the word single means in that context) targeted spells. How many targets the spell targets is irrelevant.

The line that says what you can do once the spell is discharged makes it even clearer:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Once the spell has been cast from the weapon, a spellcaster can cast any other targeted spell of up to 3rd level into it.
    A 975

I'm pretty sure it is a holdover from 3.0. A kukri was an exotic weapon then. I guess they just copy/pasted the class from a 3.0 book (don't remember which).
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-09-26 at 11:29 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1946
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 976

Where in the PHB is the rule that says that a spellcaster needs at least one hand free to cast spells with somatic components? Or am I mistaken, and there is no such rule?

27. - Top - End - #1947
    Ogre in the Playground

A 976: Here, also page 174, PHB

Somatic (S)
    A somatic component is a measured and precise movement of the hand. You must have at least one hand free to provide a somatic component.

28. - Top - End - #1948
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 973 Yes.

The extra movement is a swift action. Normally swift actions can be taken whenever you would be allowed to take a free action. However Leap Attack has this proviso:
    This attack must follow all the normal rules for using the Jump skill and for making a charge, except that you ignore rough terrain in any squares you jump over.
    The Charge special full-round action requires that you move in a straight line directly toward your opponent and attack from the first square from which you threaten them. This essentially precludes using the extra movement of Extreme Leap until after completing all of the Charge action.

29. - Top - End - #1949

Q977: Does wearing medium or heavy armor, count against a raptorians glide ability, or simply as written dealing with only medium and such loads?
    Last edited by silverwolfer; 2012-09-26 at 01:59 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1950
    Ettin in the Playground

A 977

No. Not unless that piece of armor causes you to carry a medium or heavy load. If you are strong enough (50+ lbs light load) you can glide/fly in a full plate.