New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 67 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1742575859606162636465666768697071727374757677 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,010 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #1981
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Q889 Can you combine Snap kick with the attack made as part of a Spring Attack?

Q890 Snap Kick states that the attack made due the feat deals damage "damage equal to your basic unarmed attack damage+1/2 str modifier". Does this means that it doesn't takes into account stuff that enhances the Unarmed attack like a Monk's Unarmed Strike Class feature or the Beast Strike feat (Dragon Mag, you Unarmed attack deals damage=unarmed attack+claw/slam damage)?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #1982
    Ettin in the Playground

A 989

Yes.

A 990

Yes.

3. - Top - End - #1983
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Origomar View Post
    Q983 Can you use the tactical maneuver "Momentum Swing" from the feat Combat Brute, and the tactical maneuver "Heedless Charge" in shock trooper on the same attack?
    A983

No; Momentum Swing applies to the attacks that occur on the round following your charge; Heedless Charge applies to the charge itself.
    Last edited by trollburgers; 2012-09-28 at 01:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #1984
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 990 clarification

"Your base unarmed attack damage" does not include extras like Beast Strike; that's correct. However, the Monk Unarmed Strike class feature just redefines what their base unarmed attack damage is. The pronoun "your" makes the Snap Kick damage character-dependent rather than fixed or only a function of size.

5. - Top - End - #1985
    Orc in the Playground

DruidGuy

Q891

If i use the Feat "Knockback" and push someone out of my threatened area, do i get an attack of opportunity against them?

6. - Top - End - #1986
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

A991

Technically Knockback is a bull rush attempt.As such,you don't gain AoO from his movement.

7. - Top - End - #1987
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 891

No. Other allies may though.

8. - Top - End - #1988
    Titan in the Playground

Q992: I'd like to create a custom Cursed Item for a character, and have that be an Item Familiar. But the Item Familiar must be worth at least 2,000gp. The item in question would be a gizmo of at-will Message, which would put it right at 2,000gp. However, I'm not sure if there are any price adjustments if a particular item is cursed, and can't seem to find anything in the SRD (other than possibly reverse-engineering for the Specific Cursed Items). Is there anything standard, or is that strictly an "ask the DM" question?

9. - Top - End - #1989
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 992

All custom magic items are "Ask your DM" questions. Basically only published D&D 3.5 items and common improvements following the table in Magic Item Compendium on page 234 are allowed at a fixed price. Everything else must be approved by each individual DM.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-09-30 at 05:25 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1990
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 993

Is the Flesh to Stone spell the only spell above the 5th level whose instantaneous effect can be reversed by the Break Enchantment spell?

The rules confuse me. In the class spell lists, the Break Enchantment spell is summarized in the SRD as follows: "Frees subjects from enchantments, alterations, curses, and petrification [emphasis mine]." In the more detailed description of the Break Enchantment spell, the following sentence appears: "If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower." So the Flesh to Stone spell looks like an outstanding exception to this rule, doesn't it? But is it really a unique exception to this rule, or are there others?

Q 994

When you free a creature from petrification with the Break Enchantment spell, does that creature have to make a Fortitude save to avoid being killed in the transformation, just as when you cast the Stone to Flesh spell?

11. - Top - End - #1991
    Troll in the Playground

Q 995

Does the feat Improved Weapon Familiarity allow an elven PC to qualify for the Champion of Corellon prestige class?

12. - Top - End - #1992
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 994 No.

If you're successful with Break Enchantment you've already passed the caster level check necessary to overcome Flesh to Stone. You follow the rules for the spell in question, not other spells which can accomplish the same end.

A 995 No.

Improved Weapon Familiarity allows the character to treat exotic weapons specific to their race as martial instead. This has no bearing on the Champion of Corellon Larethian requirement for proficiency with all (regular) martial weapons and heavy armor.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-10-01 at 02:40 AM.

13. - Top - End - #1993
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 996

If I multiclass in Swordsage and Warblade, can I learn the same maneuver twice and prepare it two times?
    Great avatar by Serpentine!

14. - Top - End - #1994
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Q997 If I ready an action to attack a spellcaster when they cast a spell and they want to cast defensively, do they make two concentration checks.. One due to the damage I've dealt with my readied action, and one to avoid an attack of opportunity?

Q998 If I ready an action to attack a spellcaster when they cast a spell, do I also get an attack of opportunity if they DON'T cast defensively?

15. - Top - End - #1995
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 999

Are you required to do your attacks in a full attack in a specific order? Can you do them in any order?

Example: BAB 16, greater two-weapon fighting (two light weapons), haste would get you: Main hand +14/+9/+4/-1; Off-Hand +14/+9/+4; Haste (with either hand) +14

Could you start with three +14 attacks and then continue with two +9 attacks and two +4 attacks and finish with one -1 attack or any other combination?

Q 1000

If a creature's only natural attacks are a pair of claws and the creature is not wielding any weapons, would both be considered primary attacks or would one suffer the -5 for being a secondary attack?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-01 at 08:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #1996
    Banned

A999
    You resolve each iterative attack completely before choosing targets for the next one.

A1000
    Unlike how it works with wielding two weapons, creatures who have a Claw/Claw/Bite treat both claws as primary attacks.
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-10-01 at 08:35 AM.

17. - Top - End - #1997
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    A999
    You resolve each iterative attack completely before choosing targets for the next one.
    That I know, my question was if you have to do the iterative attacks in a certain order. Like, do I have to start with one hand, then the other, then extra attacks, or can I sort them by attack bonus or any other order I deem beneficial.

18. - Top - End - #1998
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    That I know, my question was if you have to do the iterative attacks in a certain order. Like, do I have to start with one hand, then the other, then extra attacks, or can I sort them by attack bonus or any other order I deem beneficial.
    You must sort them by attack bonus.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

19. - Top - End - #1999
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    You must sort them by attack bonus.
    Can you quote that rule?
    Last edited by Andezzar; 2012-10-01 at 08:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #2000
    Ogre in the Playground

Can you quote that rule?
    From the SRD:

Quote Originally Posted by Full Attack
    If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first. If you are using a double weapon, you can strike with either part of the weapon first.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

21. - Top - End - #2001
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 995 No.

Improved Weapon Familiarity allows the character to treat exotic weapons specific to their race as martial instead. This has no bearing on the Champion of Corellon Larethian requirement for proficiency with all (regular) martial weapons and heavy armor.

Q 995 Addendum

I was actually referring to the CoCL's requirement of Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Elven thinblade or Elven courtblade), not the general required proficiencies. Would Improved Weapon Familiarity count for that, or would it need to be handwaved by the DM?

22. - Top - End - #2002
    Ettin in the Playground

@mattie_p: What about extra attacks from haste, flurry of blows or similar abilities? They go in the first batch, right?

23. - Top - End - #2003
    Ogre in the Playground

@mattie_p: What about extra attacks from haste, flurry of blows or similar abilities? They go in the first batch, right?
    Yes.

Anything that grants extra attacks, such as haste, flurry of blows, whirling frenzy, Rapid Shot, TWF tree, etc, all have specific rules regarding how they affect the attack bonus of the character using that ability. But they do not override the general rule that attacks are taken in order from higher to lower attack bonus, they merely modify that bonus. If you have two or more attacks at the same bonus, it is the character's choice which one to take first.

A 997: Yes.

A readied action is separate from casting defensively. The concentration options are not mutually exclusive. That is, if you are affected by more than one criteria that subjects you to making a concentration check, you must make all of them. Similarly, if more than one individual has a readied action, the caster must make concentration checks separately.

A 998: Yes, if the caster is in one of your threatened squares.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-10-01 at 10:57 AM.

So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

24. - Top - End - #2004
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    A 998: Yes, if the caster is in one of your threatened squares.
    998 follow-up Ok, that's what I thought. I didn't know about the multiple checks from multiple sources of damage, though. So if I do damage with a readied attack and an attack of opportunity, is that considered one source of damage, or two? (Thereby requiring one concentration check versus two)
    Last edited by Leekos; 2012-10-01 at 11:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #2005
    Ogre in the Playground

A 998 followup: Two attack rolls means two separate sources of damage, and two separate concentration checks.

26. - Top - End - #2006
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by weenie View Post
    Q 996

If I multiclass in Swordsage and Warblade, can I learn the same maneuver twice and prepare it two times?
    A 996: Yes.

I am aware this contradicts "common knowledge" on this board and others. A negative answer to this question is the key component to the "Idiot Crusader" build. However, please follow my logic and my RAW examples. If you disagree with my answer, let's open a new thread.

* Nowhere in Tome of Battle does it state that you cannot learn the maneuver twice. Chapter 3 of ToB details the requirements for learning a maneuver. The opening paragraphs of that chapter state it is "analogous" to Chapter 10 of the PHB - the chapter detailing magic. While it is clear that Blade Magic and "regular" magic are not identical, they are analogous (or similar). For example, a multiclass wizard and sorcerer can learn the same spell twice, once for each class, if they wish. As p37 of ToB explicitly refers to chapter 10 of the PHB, and is a primary rules source, this should illumine the answer more than the FAQ and Sage/Custserv.

* This is not covered in the errata of ToB (such as it is).

* This is not covered in the FAQ, despite claims to the contrary I've seen elsewhere. What is covered in the FAQ is the following:
    Q. Could a crusader (ToB 8) choose to learn or ready fewer maneuvers than he or she would be entitled to?

No. You must learn and ready the full number of maneuvers entitled to you by your level. Otherwise, you’d be able to cycle through your favorites faster, which defeats the purpose of the crusader’s unique recharge mechanic.

Can a character choose to delay a choice (such as spending skill points or selecting a feat) until a later level?
    No. All choices regarding character advancement must be made as soon as they become available. You can’t save skill points from one level to another, nor can you delay selecting a feat from, say, 3rd level to 4th level.
    By this we know that a crusader must learn it's full complement of maneuvers at each level, regardless of whether or not they are "known" through other martial adept classes. The second Q&A within the FAQ means this ruling applies to other martial adepts as well.

* This is discussed in some Sage's / CustServ Q&A, with contradictory answers. As you may be aware, per WoTC 3.5 primary source rules, Sage/Custserv are the least important sources. Please see the following Q&A, compiled from the WoTC boards (spoilered for length):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sage/CustServ
    Q: If you are a multiclass martial adept (from Tome of Battle), a swordsage/warblade for example, do you have to keep your maneuvers known and maneuvers readied separate for each class?
    A: If a character has multiple martial adept base classes, the maneuvers known and readied from each class are kept separate. Knowing a maneuver for one class does not mean you can ready it for the other, or vice versa.

Q: If you have levels in two different martial adept classes (from Tome of Battle), such as swordsage and warblade for example, can you use maneuvers that you have for one class to meet the prereqs for a maneuver in your other class?
    A: If a maneuver has a prerequisite that requires you to have a certain number of maneuvers from a certain martial discipline, then it only matters if you have that many maneuvers of that discipline. It does not matter if the maneuvers all belong to the same class.
    For example, a swordsage 3/warblade 2 has a single Diamond Mind maneuver from the swordsage class. When this character takes a 3rd level of warblade, they gain another maneuver known and can choose Emerald Razor, using the Diamond Mind maneuver known from the Swordsage levels to qualify.

Q: The maneuvers known description of the crusader, swordsage, and warblade (in the Tome of Battle) state that you can learn a maneuver in place of one that you already know. However, these descriptions are unclear about whether you can learn a maneuver in place of one that you learned through another class. Can you swap maneuvers gained through different classes?
    To clarify this with an example, can a crusader 4/warblade 3 who has taken an additional level in the warblade class and learned a maneuver as a result 'forget' a maneuver that he learned through his crusader levels and learn a warblade maneuver in place of that maneuver?
    A: Yes, these abilities do not care what the origin of the replaced maneuver is.

Q: Can you know the same maneuvers (from Tome of Battle) more than once? Can you ready the same maneuver more than once at a time?
    A: Actually no, you cannot learn the same maneuvers more than once, nor can you ready the same maneuver more than once at a time.

Q: Can a Swordsage or a Warblade ready more than one "copy" of the same maneuver so that he can use the maneuver more than once per encounter without having to spend actions to regain his maneuver(s)?
    A: Unfortunately not. Readying a maneuver isn't like preparing a spell. You are either Ready to use the maneuver or you aren't! You can't "Double Ready" a Maneuver! You can only use a given maneuver once per encounter unless you Recover it during the fight!

Q: Another multiclass question. Can a multiclassed martial adept (eg. Swordsage/Warblade) choose/and or ready the same maneuver for each of it's classes (provided you have access to the same maneuver)? And if you gain a maneuver in one class, can you use it as a prerequisite in gaining a maneuver in the other class?
    A: No, you can only ever learn/ready a maneuver once. If you gain a maneuver in one class it can indeed fulfill prerequisites in another class!

So this source says that they are kept separate, except when they aren't, and don't cite rules text to justify their answers. Take this source with a grain of salt, please.

Sorry for the length of answer, but go ahead and learn them twice.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-10-01 at 02:40 PM.

27. - Top - End - #2007
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Origomar View Post
    Q891

If i use the Feat "Knockback" and push someone out of my threatened area, do i get an attack of opportunity against them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Endelehia View Post
    A991

Technically Knockback is a bull rush attempt.As such,you don't gain AoO from his movement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvanoshei View Post
    A 891

No. Other allies may though.
    A.991 clarification:

Unlike standard bull rush attempts, knockback attempts don't provoke attacks of opportunity, and you don't move with the enemy you knock backward.
    Endelehia is correct; you don't get an AoO because it is a bull rush attempt. Silvanoshei's assumption is incorrect; it is a special 5ft bull rush that specifically doesn't provoke AoO from anyone.

28. - Top - End - #2008
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 999:

When using a Targeted Dispel against a psychokineticist 4 with Fire Lash, and Weapon Afire are these effects subject to being Dispelled? What ML are they?

Q 1000:
    Does Targeted Dispel against a character get to suppress a character's items, or just spells that have been cast on them?
    Last edited by blazinghand; 2012-10-01 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added bolface and seperated question into 2 parts
    Round 4: Eat Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Well at least your houserule skill check fumbles have houseruled fumble confirmations.
    The COre COliseum is a tactics-based arena for both 3.5e and 4e D&D. We run fights each week - so join today!
    Quickstart Guide
    Character Sheet

29. - Top - End - #2009
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 995 Addendum: No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    I was actually referring to the CoCL's requirement of Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Elven thinblade or Elven courtblade), not the general required proficiencies.
    Special: In addition to the feats above, you must also take either Weapon Focus (longsword) or Exotic Weapon Proficiency (elven thinblade or elven courtblade).
    The requirement to take a feat, chosen from a list which include weapon proficiency feats, cannot be bypassed by having a proficiency through some feat not on the list. You must take one of the specified feats to enter the prestige class.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazinghand View Post
    Q 1002:
    Does Targeted Dispel against a character get to suppress a character's items, or just spells that have been cast on them?
    A 1002

As per the spell description, you iterate over each ongoing spell currently in effect on the creature. Targeted dispels on creatures do not target objects in their possession.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-10-01 at 03:34 PM. Reason: corrected number

30. - Top - End - #2010
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by trollburgers View Post
    A.991 clarification:

Unlike standard bull rush attempts, knockback attempts don't provoke attacks of opportunity, and you don't move with the enemy you knock backward.
    Endelehia is correct; you don't get an AoO because it is a bull rush attempt. Silvanoshei's assumption is incorrect; it is a special 5ft bull rush that specifically doesn't provoke AoO from anyone.
    You cited the pertinent rules text for the feat, but have drawn an invalid conclusion, I'm afraid.

The rules text quoted above cites the precise differences between the feat and a standard bull rush. Note that the attempt (which normally provokes an AoO from any creatures that threatens the bull rusher due to movement by the attacker) does not provoke any AoO when using this feat. (This is because the attacker does not move)

Movement by the defender still triggers AoOs, assuming they move through a threatened square, as is normal for bull rush.
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2012-10-01 at 03:13 PM.