New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 68 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1843585960616263646566676869707172737475767778 ... LastLast
Results 2,011 to 2,040 of 2721
  1. - Top - End - #2011
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 995 Addendum: No.

The requirement to take a feat, chosen from a list which include weapon proficiency feats, cannot be bypassed by having a proficiency through some feat not on the list. You must take one of the specified feats to enter the prestige class.
    I'll have to disagree with Curmudgeon on this one. In this case, Improved Weapon Familiarity has the same demonstrable effect as Exotic Weapon Proficiency; in fact it IS essentially Exotic Weapon Proficiency (racial weapons). I cannot think of a good reason why it would not be acceptable in gaining acceptance into the PrC. Barring an official RAW response to the contrary, logic dictates that it is sufficient.

2. - Top - End - #2012
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    You cited the pertinent rules text for the feat, but have drawn an invalid conclusion, I'm afraid.

The rules text quoted above cites the precise differences between the feat and a standard bull rush. Note that the attempt (which normally provokes an AoO from any creatures that threatens the bull rusher due to movement by the attacker) does not provoke any AoO when using this feat. (This is because the attacker does not move)

Movement by the defender still triggers AoOs, assuming they move through a threatened square, as is normal for bull rush.
    God dang it! Got it mixed up in my head with Pushback. You are, of course, correct. I find it interesting that they have to note that it doesn't provoke AoO when Improved Bull Rush, which would negate the AoO anyways, is a prereq.

Oh well.

3. - Top - End - #2013
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 995 Addendum
    Quote Originally Posted by trollburgers View Post
    In this case, Improved Weapon Familiarity has the same demonstrable effect as Exotic Weapon Proficiency; in fact it IS essentially Exotic Weapon Proficiency (racial weapons). I cannot think of a good reason why it would not be acceptable in gaining acceptance into the PrC.
    Improved Weapon Familiarity just lets the character treat exotic racial weapons as martial weapons; by itself, it grants no proficiencies. However, that's not the actual point of this question. The Champion of Corellon Larethian class states a Special requirement that the character must take one feat from a list of three feats. The correct answer is that if you don't take at least one of those feats you do not meet the RAW requirements to enter that prestige class. House rules about what might be "acceptable" substitutions are outside the scope of this thread.

4. - Top - End - #2014
    Pixie in the Playground

Re: A 995 Addendum

Improved Weapon Familiarity just lets the character treat exotic racial weapons as martial weapons; by itself, it grants no proficiencies. However, that's not the actual point of this question. The Champion of Corellon Larethian class states a Special requirement that the character must take one feat from a list of three feats. The correct answer is that if you don't take at least one of those feats you do not meet the RAW requirements to enter that prestige class. House rules about what might be "acceptable" substitutions are outside the scope of this thread.
    Fair enough.

5. - Top - End - #2015
    Troll in the Playground

Q 1001

If you have 2 levels of Swordsage and a level of Monk, and you are unarmored, do you get your Wisdom bonus to AC twice? This seems silly to me, but I can't find anywhere in the rules that would contradict it.

6. - Top - End - #2016
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RFLS View Post
    Q 1001

If you have 2 levels of Swordsage and a level of Monk, and you are unarmored, do you get your Wisdom bonus to AC twice? This seems silly to me, but I can't find anywhere in the rules that would contradict it.
    A 1001
    They never would stack, because you must be wearing light armor for Swordsage, and no armor at all for the Monk.

7. - Top - End - #2017
    Titan in the Playground

Q1002 Can an outsider such as tiefling become a Dragonborn?

Q1002 b If he can, does he looses his weapon proficiencies (gained as a benefit of their outsider type) when becoming a Dragonborn?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

8. - Top - End - #2018
    Troll in the Playground

A 1002

Yes. Any creature can become Dragonborn, so long as it's Intelligence score is at least 3 and their alignment is not evil.

A 1002b

As stated in the Mechanics of Rebirth sidebar, you retain your original type. If the weapon proficiencies are received because of the type, you would retain them. If they were a specific racial ability (such as a bonus feat), you would lose it.

9. - Top - End - #2019
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1003

Does the free attack granted by Improved Trip have to be with the same weapon that you tripped the target with (or an unarmed strike if you made an unarmed trip while holding a weapon)?

Q 1004

Can a two-handed weapon be stored in a Glove of Storing?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #2020
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Q 1005

Does the Will save allowed against the Undetectable Alignment spell work like the one allowed against the Misdirection spell, or does it work like the one allowed against the Nondetection spell? I think I know the answer (namely: It works like the Will save against the Nondetection spell), but I would like some confirmation. I interpret the "Saving Throw" line for these three spells as follows:

1. The Will save against the Misdirection spell is for the diviner who tries to detect the auras surrounding the glamered creature or object. The creature or object targeted by the Glamer gets no Will save.

2. The Will save against the Nondetection spell is for the creature or object targeted by the Abjuration itself. If a creature or an intelligent magic item refuses to be made non-detectable, it can resist the Nondetection spell by making a Will save against it. An attended object can also share the Will save of the creature that wears or carries it. However, a diviner who tries to detect something warded by the Nondetection spell can only make a caster-level check against it, not a Will save.

3. Similarly, the Will save against the Undetectable Alignment spell is for the creature or object targeted by the Abjuration itself. If a creature or an intelligent magic item doesn't want its alignment to be concealed (or if a creature doesn't want the alignment of something it wears or carries to be concealed), it can make a Will save against the Undetectable Alignment spell. However, a diviner who tries to detect the alignment of a creature or object warded by the Undetectable Alignment spell gets no Will save against it and has no chance of success.

Q 1005.5 (related)

I'm guessing that Spell Resistance for the last two spells (Nondetection and Undetectable Alignment) works just the same as the Will saves do. A creature or object that doesn't want to be non-detectable, or doesn't want its alignment to be concealed, can exercise its Spell Resistance against either the Nondetection spell or the Undetectable Alignment spell (respectively), but a diviner cannot overcome either Abjuration with Spell Resistance alone. (Instead, Nondetection requires a caster-level check, and Undetectable Alignment is foolproof.) Have I got this right?
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2012-10-01 at 11:52 PM.

11. - Top - End - #2021
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1003 No.

There is no such requirement.

A 1004 Yes.

Assuming it fits within the weight limits, storing or retrieving is allowed. Your individual DM will decide what action it takes to put a second hand on the retrieved weapon in order to wield it again. (Until that happens you'll only be holding the two-handed weapon with just the hand wearing the Glove, and can't use it.)

12. - Top - End - #2022
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1006

I know this has probably been asked before, but this happened at our regular game recently...

How does the Infernal Wounding ability of a Bearded Devil interact with a Troll's Regeneration?

We came up against an 1/2 Red Dragon Troll, and had no acid attacks handy. Our Wizard summoned a Bearded Devil, but the ruling was unclear. In the end, we ended up hacking the thing into little chunks and throwing it into a Bag of Holding to suffocate.

13. - Top - End - #2023
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 1006

The regeneration ability would not stop the additional damage from a Bearded Devil's infernal wound ability, but it would convert the additional damage into nonlethal damage as normal.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

14. - Top - End - #2024
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 1007

What are the stats for the Renaissance weapons in one of the 3.5 DMGs? I'm thinking of playing a Shifter Rogue who specializes in firearms and bombs, you see.
    Last edited by The LOBster; 2012-10-02 at 11:26 AM.

15. - Top - End - #2025
    Troll in the Playground

Q 1008

If a creature with a gaze attack, such as a medusa, is blinded, is the gaze attack still functional?

16. - Top - End - #2026
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

A 1007

I can't find them in the d20 SRD. They are on pages 145 & 146 in the DMG. Anything published by WotC and not in the SRD is not open content. Posting such content is against board rules.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2012-10-02 at 09:21 PM.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

17. - Top - End - #2027
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1009

Can a Factotum make use of Maximize Spell-Like Ability, Quicken Spell-Like Ability, etc.? If so, then can the benefit of the feat be applied to any spell cast via the Arcane Dilettante feature, or only to a single spell chosen at the time the feat is taken?
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

18. - Top - End - #2028
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1009

You can apply Maximize Spell-Like Ability (& c.) to a Factotum's SLA selected via Arcane Dilettante, with the standard restrictions of the chosen feat. That includes limiting the application to a specific SLA mimicking a single spell, chosen when you take the feat.

19. - Top - End - #2029
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q1010 If I am a Wizard/Cleric/Bard/Geomancer can I cast my bard spells using int for the DC and similar, like I could with my cleric spells?

Q1011 Can an Illumian take the Able Learner feat?

Q1012 How many spells per day does a Chameleon 10 get if they activate both arcane and divine focus (not counting bonus spells for high ability)? Is it 4 1st level arcane spells and 4 1st level divine spells or 4 1st level spells that can be used as either arcane or divine spells but not both?

20. - Top - End - #2030
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1010 No.

The Geomancer's Spell Versatility class feature is limited to the stated options:
    The geomancer may use his Wisdom modifier to set the save DC for arcane spells, or his Charisma or Intelligence modifier (whichever he would normally use for arcane spells) to set the save DC for divine spells.
    Using Intelligence modifier for (arcane) Bard spells is not in the class capabilities.

A 1011 No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Able Learner
    Prerequisite: Human or doppelganger.
    Able Learner is a [Racial] feat with a prerequisite specific to the two listed races. Illumian is a different race. The fact that this race is similar to one of the two listed races still does not satisfy the prerequisite.

21. - Top - End - #2031
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 1013

Does the various Sacred Vows limit a characters Animal Comanion or familiar? I am inclined to say no. We habitually think of them as limiting a player, but I can't imagine a NG Druids Vow of Chastity limiting his wolf companion in any way.

Anyone know a rule or ruling I've missed?

22. - Top - End - #2032
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 1014 (I think?)

Anyway, I don't know if this has been asked before, but is multiple ability stacking (eg: DEX to AC multiple times, CON to HP multiple times) strictly allowed via RAW or is it more an RAI thing?

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

23. - Top - End - #2033

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    Q 1014 (I think?)

Anyway, I don't know if this has been asked before, but is multiple ability stacking (eg: DEX to AC multiple times, CON to HP multiple times) strictly allowed via RAW or is it more an RAI thing?
    A 1014: It follows the normal rules for stacking. If you're not getting the same type of bonus, and if you're not getting the same abilities twice (some classes, for example, refer back to the monk's AC bonus), then they would stack.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

24. - Top - End - #2034
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    A 1007

I can't find them in the d20 SRD. They are on pages 145 & 146 in the DMG. Anything published by WotC and not in the SRD is not open content. Posting such content is against board rules.
    A slight correction; anything WotC puts in a web release (like the Warblade class, or the PDF for Return to the Temple of the Frog) is also open content. However, I cannot find those firearms in any of those either.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

25. - Top - End - #2035
    Banned

A 1011 No. Able Learner is a [Racial] feat with a prerequisite specific to the two listed races. Illumian is a different race. The fact that this race is similar to one of the two listed races still does not satisfy the prerequisite.
    But Illumians have the (human) subtype?....

26. - Top - End - #2036
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 1014 additional info

The stacking rule specifies that the source matters.
    Stacking

In most cases, modifiers to a given check or roll stack (combine for a cumulative effect) if they come from different sources and have different types (or no type at all), but do not stack if they have the same type or come from the same source (such as the same spell cast twice in succession).
    To understand that you have to know what the rules mean by source ─ and it's not an ability modifier. Here's an example:
    Sneak Attack

This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every other level (2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 10th). If an arcane trickster gets a sneak attack bonus from another source (such as rogue levels) the bonuses on damage stack.
    In this case, the source is the named class ability Sneak Attack, which both Rogue and Arcane Trickster get. That last sentence overrides the basic rule so the bonuses stack even though the sources are all instances of Sneak Attack.

Re: A 1011
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    But Illumians have the (human) subtype?....
    If Able Learner were a [Subtype] feat, that would be relevant. However, it's a [Racial] feat, so only the race matters.

27. - Top - End - #2037
    Banned

Re: A 1011

If Able Learner were a [Subtype] feat, that would be relevant. However, it's a [Racial] feat, so only the race matters.
    1. How can you tell? As far as I know there are no [Human] feats or [Orc] feats or [Dwarf] feats, only [Racial] feats. So if the rules contain no technology for disambiguating between "Human" and "[Human]", then on what basis do you distinguish which it is doing?

2. Where is it established that "Race: human" does not mean "Race: something [human]"? Is there a parallel using some other subtype which demonstrates that this is clearly not acceptible?

28. - Top - End - #2038
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q 1015

1. How can you tell? As far as I know there are no [Human] feats or [Orc] feats or [Dwarf] feats, only [Racial] feats. So if the rules contain no technology for disambiguating between "Human" and "[Human]", then on what basis do you distinguish which it is doing?

2. Where is it established that "Race: human" does not mean "Race: something [human]"? Is there a parallel using some other subtype which demonstrates that this is clearly not acceptible?
    A 1015

Page 150 of Races of Destiny states this:
    RACIAL FEATS
    Feats marked with the [Racial] tag require the character to be of a specific race in order to select the feat.
    Also, page 53 of the same book explains "Illumian Racial Traits", making it clear that Illumian is a specific race, different from the Human race. The common races, including Human, are detailed starting on page 11 of Player's Handbook.

29. - Top - End - #2039
    Titan in the Playground

Q 1016

What happens if I cast a Sculpted Color Spray and choose the 40-foot cone or 120-foot line option?

30. - Top - End - #2040
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

A 1016
    It is a 2nd level spell that exactly what Color spray says, only it affects everyone in a 40-foot cone or a 120-foot line, according to their HD (instead of the regular 15ft. cone)