New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 91 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516173257 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXI

A 111

The variant system described requires that the expensive material component is consumed as part of the casting in exchange for not requiring the use of a metamagic feat.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 112

Can the requirement for rare, hard to get and thus arguably expensive material components (basiliks eyelash for example) that do not have a price tag attached to them be avoided by the Eschew Material Feat?

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

A 112 Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A material component is one or more physical substances or objects that are annihilated by the spell energies in the casting process. Unless a cost is given for a material component, the cost is negligible. Don’t bother to keep track of material components with negligible cost. Assume you have all you need as long as you have your spell component pouch.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 113: One can make a trip attempt as an attack of opportunity, correct? This is under the assumption that they could make a trip attempt normally.
    Most excellent custom avatar by Kymme!

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 113 Yes.

A trip attempt is a melee attack, which is the requirement for an AoO. If the tripper does not have Improved Unarmed Strike or Improved Trip they will in turn provoke an AoO in an unarmed trip attempt.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Q 114
    Are there any references for building costs within a city?
    By that I mean, renting/purchasing existing buildings, for use as a shop.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

Q 115: Let's say I've got a caster level of 14 and want to animate a colossal object using the Animate Objects spell, which would require either a caster level of 32 or multiple castings adding up as such. I cast it once with my CL of 14, then I use Spell Enhancer and Hymn of Praise to boost my CL to 18, and cast it again. Then I go ahead and use Permanency on it.

What would the caster level be for purposes of dispelling that animated object?
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Q 115: Let's say I've got a caster level of 14 and want to animate a colossal object using the Animate Objects spell, which would require either a caster level of 32 or multiple castings adding up as such. I cast it once with my CL of 14, then I use Spell Enhancer and Hymn of Praise to boost my CL to 18, and cast it again. Then I go ahead and use Permanency on it.

What would the caster level be for purposes of dispelling that animated object?
    A 115: The spell contains no such clause.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 116: I am desperately trying to find any methods to allow me to use dexterity checks to succeed at tripping. I am failing at it as well lol. Is there anything out there in RAW?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

10. - Top - End - #190
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 117
    Is there any way to fling away a weapon after you disarm it? or is there only the option of dropping it at their feet?
    A thing I made! The Spirited Blade; warrior of the mind come by and tell me what you think.

May glory flow forever more to The Mad Hatter for bringing Haeros; Master of the Transcendant Style to my avatar box!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 117 Yes.

Yes, if you have an attack available you can use the improvised weapon rules to throw a melee weapon. You can aim for a 5' square (AC 5) within range, and if you miss the weapon will land in a square adjacent to that target square. If you don't have an attack available you can drop it in any square adjacent to you (not necessarily adjacent to the character who formerly possessed it).

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

A 117 Addendum

This only works if you do the disarm attempt without a weapon in your hand and throwing the weapon away is another standard action in the next round.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q 117 cont.: So if I was using a whip I could drop the weapon right in front of me (15 ft away from the enemy) correct?
    A thing I made! The Spirited Blade; warrior of the mind come by and tell me what you think.

May glory flow forever more to The Mad Hatter for bringing Haeros; Master of the Transcendant Style to my avatar box!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Re: A 117 Addendum
    Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    This only works if you do the disarm attempt without a weapon in your hand and throwing the weapon away is another standard action in the next round.
    That's incorrect. Disarm is a melee attack, and throwing a weapon is also an attack. With a BAB of +6 or more you may do both as part of a full attack action. There is no requirement to either use a standard action or wait until a later round.

A 117 cont. No.
    Disarm

As a melee attack, you may attempt to disarm your opponent. If you do so with a weapon, you knock the opponent’s weapon out of his hands and to the ground. If you attempt the disarm while unarmed, you end up with the weapon in your hand.
    You may select where you drop an item you are holding, but if you disarm using your own weapon you never hold the enemy's weapon. Only an unarmed disarm lets you drop the weapon in a space adjacent to you. Disarming with your own weapon always results in the enemy's weapon on the ground in their own space.

Also, there is no "front" in D&D.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-06-01 at 06:55 AM.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Ettin in the Playground

Re: Throwing in the next round

If you are unarmed you are correct you can do both with the same full round action, if you have 2 or more attacks. If however you disarmed the opponent with a weapon you would first have to pick it up, which is a move action that you do not have in the round you used the full attack. Sorry for not making that clear.

16. - Top - End - #196

OldWizardGuy

Q118 What happens if you manifest mind link twice while the first is still active? Do you get one big group with everybody in or do you get two seperate groups (A and B)? If the second can you talk to group A or B without the other knowing what you are saying?

17. - Top - End - #197
    Banned

Q119
    Does a dwarf wearing heavy armor run 60 feet or 80?

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

A 119

60. Dwarves only never have their speed reduced by heavier armor/loads. They have no special rules regarding their run multiplier.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Banned

So the run multiplier doesn't count as part of their speed? I always took it as "walk speed X, run speed X times Y".
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-06-01 at 01:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ettin in the Playground

No you do not get a run speed as one of the character's stats you only get the multiplier.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Speed

Your speed tells you how far you can move in a round and still do something, such as attack or cast a spell. Your speed depends mostly on your race and what armor you’re wearing.

Dwarves, gnomes, and halflings have a speed of 20 feet (4 squares), or 15 feet (3 squares) when wearing medium or heavy armor (except for dwarves, who move 20 feet in any armor).

Humans, elves, half-elves, and half-orcs have a speed of 30 feet (6 squares), or 20 feet (4 squares) in medium or heavy armor.

If you use two move actions in a round (sometimes called a "double move" action), you can move up to double your speed. If you spend the entire round to run all out, you can move up to quadruple your speed (or triple if you are in heavy armor).

21. - Top - End - #201
    Banned

Not sure if this was noticed before, so I'll edit it down the page and then add my new question.

Q120
    Can you escape a grapple by Dimension Dooring away, if you have the ability to do that without a need for somatic components? (I'm thinking of using a soulmeld, so it's debatable whether a concentration check might be needed, but if so assume the character can make that.)

Q121
    The Astral Vambraces soulmeld (from the Psionics of Incarnum web enhancement) allows you, personally, to gain abilities normally possessed by an Astral Construct. One of those abilities is Trip, a special attack commonly found on wolves, who get to do it with their bite attacks, but the specific instance of Trip here refers to the Construct and says "If the construct hits with a slam attack". Since you do not have a slam attack, is this particular menu choice useless to you? Or does it apply to any natural attacks you have? Would an Unarmed Strike count?

22. - Top - End - #202
    Halfling in the Playground

Q122

Does an Artificer suffer an arcane spell failure chance for casting infusions while wearing armor?? The Eberron Campaign Setting doesn't specifically address the issue. It simply states that infusions are neither arcane nor divine, but that they function just like spells and follow all the rules for spells.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 120

Yes, if you're actually casting the spell Dimension Door. No, if you would need to use some other mechanism to accomplish that goal. Cast a Spell is one of the things that are specifically allowed if you're grappling. General use of class or other abilities do not appear on that short list, and thus cannot be performed while grappling. Emulating the Dimension Door spell via a Blink Shirt soulmeld is an example of something not on the list of allowed actions.

A 121

It works as stated: only if you hit with a slam attack.

A 122 No.

You normally must must cast an arcane spell to have a chance of arcane spell failure. (Divine spellcasters can acquire something similar with the Divine Gesture flaw.)
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2012-06-01 at 04:09 PM.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A 115: The spell contains no such clause.
    Wow, not sure why I thought that - must have been confusing it with Warp Wood for some reason. Too bad, as that throws a build I'd been planning in my head completely out the window...
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

25. - Top - End - #205
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Q 123
    If something calls for "druid tended-" something, would a PC druid be able to get that for a significantly reduced cost with a Herbology Check (after enough time)?
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

I started in the keep of a baron who was hiring the characters as his personal lackeys. It allowed me to give them some simple beginner quests, such as go kill this group of bandits to save this town.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Q124

Alright. I need a spell.

I need a spell that is like a wall/cage/sphere/trapezoid of force.

Here is the kicker: It needs to be able to go through objects.

I am fighting a Dracolitch with the Worm That Walks template (Dragotha. I have 50 lvls and 2.5mil to fight it and I have been working on a character for a year and I think I have it), and once I destroy it and it discorporates, I need a way that ensures that NO MAGGOT ESCAPES.

Alternatively, will a crown of glory work seeing as it discorporates into simple maggots?
    Last edited by omniangel; 2012-06-01 at 05:57 PM.

27. - Top - End - #207

Q125

I have a question about what may block the effect of an emanation spell. I was thinking about the Silence spell, which is an emanation effect. It can be cast on an object, and thus be mobile if that object is moved. Then I wonder - could this silence-emanating object be put into some container, to quench the effect until the object is taken out again? And what would that container have to be made of?
    I was thinking that casting Silence on a small object, then putting the object into a container made of lead, would be appropriate. In that fashion, the Silence effect could be turned on/off as needed, for the duration of the spell.
    Is this acceptable?

(Thanks for the answer below. I think a little lead box is cool, though )
    Last edited by Edhelras; 2012-06-01 at 06:23 PM.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 125 Yes.

Blocking line of effect in all directions (as with a sealed container) will limit the affected area of an emanation.
    A burst spell affects whatever it catches in its area, even including creatures that you can’t see. It can’t affect creatures with total cover from its point of origin (in other words, its effects don’t extend around corners).
    An emanation spell functions like a burst spell, except that the effect continues to radiate from the point of origin for the duration of the spell.
    Lead is not required.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 126

Is there any way (feat, item, etc) too boost your caster level checks aside from actual CL increases or taking 10 via the Arcane Mastery feat?

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 127: Can expansion and enlarge person stack?

Q 128: Does the Ability fist of speed from the Prestige Class Acolyte of the Fist from dragon 296 p72, re write the BaB Progession for extra attacks or does it start from the point when you start the prestige class. For reference this is what it states:

Unarmed Damage: Acolytes of the fist are able to make unarmed attacks as a monk, gaining a second attack when their base attack bonus is +3, a third when it is +6, and so on (see the monk class description in the Player's Handbook for more details).
    Last edited by killem2; 2012-06-01 at 10:36 PM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/